• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
What the hell kind of casual do you know that knows or cares about DI? Let alone how exactly a move kills?
Please don't mesh together nubs and casuals. During my vBrawl days, I played with casuals pretty frequently, and they had enough sense to catch onto and begin using horizontal survival DI. Moreover, most casuals understand which moves have noteworthy KO potential and how to use them. Seriously it's common sense, and you underestimating casuals to this extent is highly offensive to many and one of the main reasons behind why some completely reject picking up video games competitively.

:phone:

McNinja

Smash Ace
Please don't mesh together nubs and casuals. During my vBrawl days, I played with casuals pretty frequently, and they had enough sense to catch onto and begin using horizontal survival DI. Moreover, most casuals understand which moves have noteworthy KO potential and how to use them. Seriously it's common sense, and you underestimating casuals to this extent is highly offensive to many and one of the main reasons behind why some completely reject picking up video games competitively.

Dang. Someone struck a nerve.

So yeah. Project M! Wooo!

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Bubba, wasn't this argument done to death already?

Melee matches feel faster cus it's almost always: A spacy, Sheik, Marf, Jiggs

All can kill and be killed pretty quickly by each other :p
Except I main Samus in Melee. I don't kill anything if I'm not shooting it or gimping it, and even I've observed this lack of speed and fluidity. I mean, I also play vBrawl competitively, so I like P:M as its own game right now, but trying to compare its feel to Melee's right now just isn't working out.

as it is the only way it's gonna kill anything is if you DI DOWN

how is that NOT a problem?

it's not like i lived till 200% on Dreamland 64 or Metal Cavern either... it was on Yoshi's Story: Melee. as Fox. on the ground (where the strongest hitbox is)

so a "kill move" that doesn't kill unless your opponent has no idea what DI is isn't a problem?

and I'M the audacious one?
Who even uses Pikachu's Down B on the ground against a serious opponent? Its main use is for vertical KOs after Usmash if it's not the proper KO % for Usmash. Sounds like a really pointless thing to "buff". =\
To be fair, if the man's noting that Melee Thunder's body hitbox used to kill earlier in Melee than it does in P:M now, shouldn't you at least look into it for the sake of accuracy to Melee? It's not like it would be a huge buff or anything...

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't believe that Fox is surviving a full blown Thunder close to 200%, on a small stage

leelue

Smash Lord
I play sonic
And games only last 4+ minutes if I force them to

Meanwhile
Matches that use any combination of sheik ike ganon dk and mario aren't lasting longer than melee matches

It's mostly psychological
spacies ruining your perception. No characters are so brutally efficient, and characters in pm recover better/have more options on the ledge. That's it.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
What the hell kind of casual do you know that knows or cares about DI? Let alone how exactly a move kills?
A competitive one... :troll:

Moves don't get buffed or altered to give casuals a good move to use/spam. Moves get buffed or altered for competitive play. You can't go tweaking a character to cater to both audiences, that's impossible.

Casuals don't care about tiers. They normally don't even know about the existence of DI. Casuals still pick Kirby in Melee. They may also beat their casual friends with Kirby in Melee because they're casual.
Hey, I beat my friend with Kirby and he placed pretty darn high at Zenith! :smirk:

Also, Ganon's utilt.....

If pikachu's thunder gets buffed then thunderflip will kill way too early. >_>
Well, he's talking about the bodily hitbox, I believe, not the actual lightning bolt.

I can imagine it being a touchy subject
And 9k has a point
Says the one all up in your personal space. You're the king of touchy subjects... :c

leafbarrett

Smash Lord

Pretty much everything here. The only reason I don't try for competitive play is because my (literally) gimped-up reflexes make me a klutz at the speed needed to play competitively. I always hated elitism, though, and it's rather insulting to be treated like a complete amateur just because I'm not an expert. If those are the kinds of people who play competitive, then I'm not sure I'd want to be a part of it anyhow. (Forgive me if the wording on this seems wonky. I'm bad with language.)

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
well my argument was sort of a straw man anyways

whatever, i suppose it'd get tweaked if upsmash-thunder stopped working

anyways Zelda stuff lol

thanks for coming in on that bubbaking, but i more or less gave up lol, and after some thought i'm actually not sure i correctly remember the circumstances of what i was *****ing about

might not have been fox -_-

EDIT: gonna hop on and test it with two controllers, will edit again

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Pretty much everything here. The only reason I don't try for competitive play is because my (literally) gimped-up reflexes make me a klutz at the speed needed to play competitively. I always hated elitism, though, and it's rather insulting to be treated like a complete amateur just because I'm not an expert. If those are the kinds of people who play competitive, then I'm not sure I'd want to be a part of it anyhow. (Forgive me if the wording on this seems wonky. I'm bad with language.)
Don't get too discouraged. Reflexes are helpful but they aren't everything. Reading and muscle memory are just as if not more important than reflexes, particularly with non-spacies. Just keep practicing your tech skill and keep trying if you really want to go competitive. There are ****s in the community but there are ****s everywhere, so that shouldn't stop you. A coach I overheard at one of my tennis meets put it rather bluntly but he pretty much summed up trying to get good at just about anything. He said, "Quit *****ing and just play." and I happen to agree. You want to get good? Don't let obstacles stop you. Just stay dedicated and keep playing and one day you'll make it.

#saystheguywith0tourneyexperience

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
Upcoming things in NY that are P:M related...

11/18 - After ROM, 8 days from today, Strong Bad will be at my house for a couple of days to play all us NY people. (And prove that he has the 2nd best DK :p)

11/24 - There's a brawl tournament with a Project M side event starting at 6pm in Babylon, NY. I'm not sure if there'll be a stream, but here's the tournament thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=328842

12/01 - There's a Project M + Melee tournament (Doubles and singles for both games) in Stony Brook, NY. A stream is unlikely although I'll try to get some recorded matches in. I'll be entering melee for the first time in almost 4 and a half years. Here's the thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329148

12/?? - Metroid1117 is visiting relatives in NY and might *possibly* be able to break away for a couple of hours to come to my place and get wrecked. I'll either stream or record it.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
okay i'm gonna go ahead and call BS on my own previous rants 'cause i had it totally wrong

the body hitbox on the ground is fine, starts killing around 100%-110% depending on the DI

it's the aeral hitbox that was throwing me off, but i tested it in melee, like i probably should have in the first place.

in vMelee, on Yoshi's Story, Fox will die from a Thunder on the top platform with pika underneath @ 212 with no DI, and i'm not sure how much later with DI

in P:M the # is 213, not too big a difference at all

makes sense that it would take that long since he's a fastfaller.

so pretty much disreguard what i said before lol, bad to post stuff like that without testing it and i really should know better, my apologies

metroid1117

Smash Master
12/?? - Metroid1117 is visiting relatives in NY and might *possibly* be able to break away for a couple of hours to come to my place and get wrecked. I'll either stream or record it.
I honestly hope I get bodied, it'd be more motivation to improve haha. Then again, going even would be cool too :p. Do you want to try doing an Iron Man Crew Battle with 5 or more characters?

Also, this would probably happen some time between Dec. 20-28. I'll fill you in with more details as they come.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I honestly hope I get bodied, it'd be more motivation to improve haha. Then again, going even would be cool too :p. Do you want to try doing an Iron Man Crew Battle with 5 or more characters?

Also, this would probably happen some time between Dec. 20-28. I'll fill you in with more details as they come.
I am definitely down for that :)

And you know I only talk trash to make things more hype lol
Respect.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
You don't have motivation to improve already?
Wins a tourney or 2 and gets a big head...dang. I feel you metroid.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I am definitely down for that :)

And you know I only talk trash to make things more hype lol
Respect.
I know, I'm just bad at reciprocating trash talk so I take what's said and turn it on myself :p. Much respect for you too Eli, I'm really looking forward to playing you (and any other NY players that would be interested)!

DK, Marth, Link, Ganon, Mario.

Now go counterpick me. ;)
I'm probably going to go with Charizard, Ike, Marth, Ganon, and either Falcon or Falco. I was totally expecting you to pick Snake or Ike haha.

stingers said:
You don't have motivation to improve already?
Wins a tourney or 2 and gets a big head...dang. I feel you metroid.
I didn't mean it that way haha. I try to keep a level head and remind myself of my faults/limits as a player so that I never get big-headed, start bragging, then get horridly exposed >.>.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
2 reasons I don't like using Ike anymore:

1) I don't wanna hear all the Ike johns
2) I'm on a quest to prove Marth is better than Ike, which I think is true

Also, I am down to add more characters and make it like a 10 character crew battle. Or just go through every single character in the game. Idk how much time you will have, though. :p

bubbaking

Smash Hero
#saystheguywith0tourneyexperience
#Someone'sLearning

I'm on a quest to prove Marth is better than Ike, which I think is true
So, you're going to prove that Marth is better than Ike by cutting down all Ike usage so no one can get a good look at him and say he's better? You're trying to prove your case by hiding evidence? <___< Why don't you use Ike until you lose to someone's Marth so then you can say, "There, see? Marth is better. Now stop johning!"

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
"Why don't you use Ike until you lose to someone's Marth so then you can say, "There, see? Marth is better. Now stop johning!""

Already did....
Now it's time to beat all dem Ikes with my Marth lol

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I actually feel the same way about Ike as Eli. You win, it's because "Ike's broken" or some stupid **** like that. Doesn't feel rewarding, ya'know?
So I'm just gonna wait to use the next most popular easy to use character so people can complain about her as well.
See: ZSS
Maybe MewTwo will make it in one day and he can finally be redeemed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom