• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Maybe it's because I don't watch enough competitive 64, but when I play it I feel like I'm incapable camping and I mean that in a good way. I mean, I could bomb/rang camp with Link, but with the hours of stun on both of those moves, why would I not run in and start UTilt spamming, mirite?
Watch me vs. JaimeHR from Apex 2012 to see what I mean. Also, Sensei vs. Kefit (if that was recorded - I don't remember).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Ah, that kind of camping. Worse yet is playing against Samus where she barely can do more than 2-move combos to begin with.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I really need to make a video detailing what b-reversing is because I think a lot of people are using the terms incorrectly :/.
thats why the name wavebouncing is so good.
1) no ambiguity with the "reversing the direction of your neutral B move" action
2) its catchy

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
thats why the name wavebouncing is so good.
1) no ambiguity with the "reversing the direction of your neutral B move" action
2) its catchy
I think it's dumb. It has nothing to do with the input at all and there is no wave or bouncing.

Someone asks what a DACUS is "Dash attack cancelled up smash" and they are like, "Oh that makes sense"

Someone asks what a wavebounce is "Reversing your momentum while using a B move"

..huh?

leelue

Smash Lord
It's not just about hours practiced. You usually need to sleep before tech skill improves. I tend to do much better the next day after hammering at something new. It has to do with the brain rewiring during sleep.

Kinda related - I've heard from various music instructors that as you get faster the brain is physically lowering those connects in your head. So the signal has a shorter route or something like that.
To add to the first point, this is true with any learning exercise. You also need to not be inflexible. If you are failing with the same result, you are being inflexible. you are fixating.

The second one, I would be skeptical about. This would displace other neurons and would in effect slow down EVERYTHING else. If that was how speed mattered in the brain.
Neurons don't have to move down, they just need to be nearer to each other or connected by others in ways that weren't before.. Science. Complicated.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The second one, I would be skeptical about. This would displace other neurons and would in effect slow down EVERYTHING else. If that was how speed mattered in the brain.
Neurons don't have to move down, they just need to be nearer to each other or connected by others in ways that weren't before.. Science. Complicated.
This is accurate to a degree. Your brain only makes so many connections before replacing the ones it deems insignificant. It's how trained savants come to exist.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
I think it's dumb. It has nothing to do with the input at all and there is no wave or bouncing.

Someone asks what a DACUS is "Dash attack cancelled up smash" and they are like, "Oh that makes sense"

Someone asks what a wavebounce is "Reversing your momentum while using a B move"

..huh?
so?
when something has to be explained anyway (as in, the acronym dacus doesnt make it immediately obvious what the word means), its better to use something that reduces ambiguity. since you'll already be associating the meaning with something new, you don't want it to get confused with anything else. if that makes any sense.

for example, I lived in a town that organized their streets like 3rd street ne, 4th street sw, etc. its logical if you were say, looking at a map and seeing it for the first time all laid out in front of you. but when you're constantly exposed to a lot of different streets all with similar names on a constant basis, its very hard to differentiate them since theres a lot of similarity between names.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
so?
when something has to be explained anyway (as in, the acronym dacus doesnt make it immediately obvious what the word means), its better to use something that reduces ambiguity. since you'll already be associating the meaning with something new, you don't want it to get confused with anything else. if that makes any sense.

for example, I lived in a town that organized their streets like 3rd street ne, 4th street sw, etc. its logical if you were say, looking at a map and seeing it for the first time all laid out in front of you. but when you're constantly exposed to a lot of different streets all with similar names on a constant basis, its very hard to differentiate them since theres a lot of similarity between names.
And you don't see the possible confusion that could take place with Wavedashing, Wavelanding, and Wavebouncing, in spite of your anecdotal experience?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
A wave describes an undulating or smooth motion, hence wavedashing/landing. RBR is a double pivot.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Kinda related - I've heard from various music instructors that as you get faster the brain is physically lowering those connects in your head. So the signal has a shorter route or something like that.
When neurons in a pathway are stimulated over a long period of time (such as practicing a repeated action), a phenomenon called "long-term potentiation" (LTP) occurs, in which the neurons in that pathway are changed such that they stimulate each other more efficiently. This can range from having more excitatory neurotransmitters being released at the presynaptic neuron, more receptors for excitatory neurotransmitters on the postsynaptic neuron, or general neuronal growth. LTP is probably related to neuronal atrophy, in which unused connections between neurons are severed, but most neuronal atrophy takes place as the brain is developed.

As a side note, the length that the signal has to travel down a neuron doesn't really have that much effect. The most important factors are the amount of excitatory neurotransmitters, the amount of inhibitory neurotransmitters, and the amount of receptors for either type of neurotransmitter.

#neurobiologymajor

Youngling

Smash Journeyman
When neurons in a pathway are stimulated over a long period of time (such as practicing a repeated action), a phenomenon called "long-term potentiation" (LTP) occurs, in which the neurons in that pathway are changed such that they stimulate each other more efficiently. This can range from having more excitatory neurotransmitters being released at the presynaptic neuron, more receptors for excitatory neurotransmitters on the postsynaptic neuron, or general neuronal growth. LTP is probably related to neuronal atrophy, in which unused connections between neurons are severed, but most neuronal atrophy takes place as the brain is developed.

As a side note, the length that the signal has to travel down a neuron doesn't really have that much effect. The most important factors are the amount of excitatory neurotransmitters, the amount of inhibitory neurotransmitters, and the amount of receptors for either type of neurotransmitter.

#neurobiologymajor
does the myelin sheath over the axon have anything to do with it? I'm in ap psych and we touched on this stuff a tiny bit and I remember something about the myelin sheath speeding up things. or somethin. I don't know. lol.

:phone:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
A double pivot sounds like the most accurate way of describing RBR/DBRing. Unless I've been doing the completely wrong AT.

wavebouncing/RBRing is when you do a turn around special and then b reverse it, right? For example if you dash jump forward, either do a turn around( reversed b?) b or smash side b backwards, and then smash the stick forwards, you will return where you came with the full dash jump speed while still facing the way you started. So Link would for example throw a boomerang and return to the same place without staying too stationary or predictable.

Just making sure I'm not completely getting everything mixed up. The names don't help much to be honest. Wave bouncing just seems a lot more friendly, even if it doesn't make much sense. Like imagine you're just getting into the competitive scene, and the first post in the first thread you read is : "So you can waveshine OOS into a RBR SHDL WDJCgrab, uthrow into shine-bair."
More acronyms than we already have just gets too confusing. You guys remember all those acronyms from when Zelda could jump out of side-b? yeah, those were stupid.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Yes, RBR is doing a Reversed Neutral B, for example, then pressing in the opposite direction to reverse your momentum. A reversed B-Reversal. "Double B-Reversal" seems to imply it's doing the same technique twice instead.

And pivot already is pretty soundly in place to describe the 1 frame of standing during a dash dance.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I don't get how to bomb jump. I've been trying all day since I got home 9 hours ago and can do it maybe 1 every 200 times?

I've done air dodge C-up

Air dodge A up

Late spin

AS SOON AS ****ING POSSIBLE SPIN

Smashing the **** upward on my control stick to start the airdodge

Holding up on the control stick to start the air dodge

Throwing the bomb early in the air dodge

Throwing the bomb late in the air dodge

And none of that seemed to make any difference in Toon Link coming even remotely close to the bomb.

Any tips? Preferably useful ones?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Lazy man it. Here's the easiest way you can do it.

Lazily hold up with a bomb in your hand while you are in the air. Keep holding up. Airdodge and very quickly press A. You don't need to move the stick at all, no mashing no flicking, just gently hold up. Now Upb (you're still holding up)

Pull a bomb on the ground, do a full jump and then do ^^^^^

I'm serious.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't get how to bomb jump. I've been trying all day since I got home 9 hours ago and can do it maybe 1 every 200 times?

I've done air dodge C-up

Air dodge A up

Late spin

AS SOON AS ****ING POSSIBLE SPIN

Smashing the **** upward on my control stick to start the airdodge

Holding up on the control stick to start the air dodge

Throwing the bomb early in the air dodge

Throwing the bomb late in the air dodge

And none of that seemed to make any difference in Toon Link coming even remotely close to the bomb.

Any tips? Preferably useful ones?

Try just practicing airdodge up with no other inputs. Do that for a LONG time. Practice doing it right, left etc. Once you have that down, try airdodging up and hitting cstick up at the same time and see if it's any better for you.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You don't even need C Stick just hold up and press A. That's probably easier. Be in air, hold up, airdodge and cancel QUICK with A/C stick/toss (still holding up on control stick, no mashing no flicking), then while still holding up obv mash upb. Thats the way for TL.

Link on the other hand gets a bigger window.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
I don't do it with the Cstick. I airdodge and smash up around the same time, press A quickly afterward, and then UpB.

It's really, really, really not difficult. I'm not technical at all and I basically had it mastered in minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom