• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
He has a shield just like everybody else, and he has super armor on some other moves, which seems fine to me, so I think he is good on the armor stuff. Lol what makes him so special compared to ganon, ddd, dk, and charizard I wonder?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It's because Lucas requires a unique style of play that has a high skill floor and a seemingly ridiculous skill ceiling. Not too dissimilar to, say, Fox.

But people haven't played Lucas for 10 years to work on that. It'll be a while before we see Lucas start wrecking ****.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I've have thought Lucas was good ever since seeing that TAS video and a couple videos showing how his magnet works.

@mr pickle
What makes bowser so special? How about being a ****ing turtle dragon? Who else is massive and probably has 2 inches of solid armor over their back? That question is also "And who deserves enormous amounts if armor?" But of course the shell is just for show, it shouldn't mean anything at all.
AT
ALL

Life

Smash Hero
The way I see it, there are two ways to play Lucas. One is to use OU and only use smashes when you're reasonably sure they'll hit. The other is to space with smashes and forgo OU (except at obvious times like after a kill). Which is better? Hard to say, especially since I don't actually play the character.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Pm is the greatest smash game of all time? How many people really feel that way? Don't get me wrong, I definitely like the game but not more than melee. If the final version is as improved as v2 was over v1 then maybe. Declaring it the greatest smash game so early seems like you're jumping the gun a bit.

:phone:

`dazrin

Smash Champion
[general]
The problem with this is that it's a very short sighted determination of something as broken. No matter how accelerated Project M's metagame may be, it is still way too early for people to be making accurate tier lists and throwing around terms such as "broken," "overpowered," or "unbeatable." If after 6 more months of people actually attempting to find ways around tactics/characters (read: a pretty good thing people could be doing instead of spending said time complaining about it on the forums), the tactics/characters are still proving to be a bit too effective, we'll make the necessary adjustments. We aren't stupid. In mere demo form, we've already created the greatest Smash game of all time. Please, have more faith in us than that.

[Ike-specific]
It seems that people's complaints are driven toward what's popular, rather than what's actually effective, as well. All too many Ike's drowned in pools at FC, with only one of them performing well at all. Is that indicative of Ike being broken? To me, it isn't. To me, it's indicative of Vro doing what was necessary to perform well; he practiced with his character, he developed his metagame, he played the game quite a bit, and his skill in the game was rewarded when he almost took the whole thing, and he still lost against a player that most likely played the game far less than he did. Heck, for all we know, Lucas could be overpowered, and no one is using him, so how are we supposed to know? Maybe Ness is a secret Ike counter that Ike isn't able to do anything about? The fact of the matter is that people are spending more time complaining about how difficult Ike is to fight than figuring out how to more effectively fight against Ike. And what are the Ike players doing? They're practicing, they're getting better, they're getting more experience in match-ups. It's no wonder they're doing well; they're actually trying to get good at the game! We're simply not going to reward the prior kind of behavior, else any and all characters that people don't like fighting against will be subject to nerfing. Sorry. Play the game. Get better. Develop the metagame. If changes are needed they will happen when it's apparent to us that they are necessary, and not a moment sooner. The potential of this game is simply too great to go the easy route and water down the competitive side by punishing people for advancing the metagame nearly immediately. We're not Capcom; we're better.
Crying for Ike nerfs seems no different from crying for a Meta Knight ban. Get better first, then we'll talk.
Daaaaamn.
Strongbad with the REAL talk. Slammin' down the iron boot.

You're totally right, and I have complete faith in the PMBR that they will take all the steps necessary to make this game as amazing as it could possibly be. I truly admire all of what the PMBR has done, and I have all the respect in the world for each and every one of it's members; especially the ones I had the pleasure of meeting IRL. :p
(I like the capcom reference, lol. For the record, you guys ARE better, and created a game far superior lol)

So maybe Falco won't get removed from the next release of P:M, afterall. :awesome:

@Lucas
I use Lucas as a secondary and I think he's extremely good and relatively easy to play, as long as you know how everything works. He has great recovery mix-up (dat doublejump->tether is probably better than his up-b lol) and he's extremely mobile with the 2nd best WD in the game, with great combo-ability and kill potential. Plus, his NAir is an all-in-one utility move that does just about everything. It combos, gimps, kills, great for shield pressure, cooks your food, walks your dog, you name it. :p Not to mention his DACUS is crazy good, and his projectile has 27 days of hitstun on it. Plus usmash is so strong and has a butt-ton of range/disjointed-ness that reaches to the top platform of YS when standing on the main stage. :p Lucas is a lot of fun. I don't generally use him in tournament though, since I want to develop Toon Link's metagame more, since there are barely any serious toon link mains around.

I got to play Vro in Lucas dittos before I even knew how good he was, and his Lucas is amazing. I learned a lot of cool stuff from him. It was then when I asked him if he entered PM, and he replied with "I only came for PM. Didn't enter Melee. 2-0'd everyone in my pool. I'm taking this thing, ez" lol I was all like "rofl ok bro."

Life

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, about this "greatest" thing. Totally subjective. For example, while PM is better than Brawl in most respects (including some very important ones like tripping), I personally don't like Sonic in it that much compared to his vanilla version (and you'll find a decent number of other Sonics agree). And it's missing a lot of the content Brawl had, or doesn't touch it (e.g. trophies).

To say you've already created the greatest Smash game is a little ridiculous when, between the use of Brawl's base code and the general physics of Melee, most of the game was made by Nintendo.

PM is brilliant, don't get me wrong, just don't let it get to your head(s).

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
There really need to be more Ness players (and Lucas too of course). I think Dair alone is a pretty tremendous help along with PKT2 being a rather unfriendly move to trade with and PKF actually being good. That and his JC grab, daaamn. I don't recall it going that far in Melee; it's actually manageable to connect with it.

I might ask HBox about it at our local PM tourney coming up on the weekend about Ness since he picks him from time to time in friendlies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bowser is not Ike. Bowser is a very large turtle being who directly descends from the legendary Hawaiian Volcano Turtle.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The subtle ike edit I see! You've got skill carroll...

Edit: Enough skill to play bowser IKE

`dazrin

Smash Champion
There really need to be more Ness players (and Lucas too of course). I think Dair alone is a pretty tremendous help along with PKT2 being a rather unfriendly move to trade with and PKF actually being good. That and his JC grab, daaamn. I don't recall it going that far in Melee; it's actually manageable to connect with it.

I might ask HBox about it at our local PM tourney coming up on the weekend about Ness since he picks him from time to time in friendlies.
[COLLAPSE="How to play as Ness in Project:M"]I realize that "their" is a typo. Get at me.
[/COLLAPSE]

Also, I just wanted to point out that Rusty Shacklefurd placed 17th as Ike, and was the second best Ike at FC aside from Vro.
whoogoBC

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
"Their" is a typo, I'm getting at you.

And god dammit, oversimplified character strats. Although I suppose you could generalize the Ike strat as "Use Fair? Did it hit? No -> Lrn2Space -> Use moar Fair".

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I don't have enough skill to play Bowser. I don't know how to cancel out of grounded Bowserbomb, but sometimes I do it by accident.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Lol it's a joke.

Relax.
You don't understand. All I will know is DThrow and PK Fire now. There is no condition for "Is your opponent at 100%+?" to respond with "Then use BThrow". Got a KO opportunity with FSmash out of PK Fire? JC DThrow.

EDIT: I end up spamming jump to get the cancel for Bowser Bomb like I do with Pikachu's QUACK (you read that right) which feels clumsy and probably isn't good for doing things out of it. I've managed to practice the jump out of bomb and effectively use it more now (along with AGT Bomb jumps with Link/Tink), but QUACK I can't seem to find the timing for.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Jumping out of Bowser Bomb at the desired height (since he is at any one height for only one frame [I think]) is a tigher window than QAC (which is three frames), but jumping out of it at all is a pretty lenient window. If you're having trouble with it, just remember you have to do it AT OR BEFORE he gets to max height.

Also, I'm now going to call QACing "Quacking" just for lulz.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Really?
I honestly don't think jumping out of Bowser-Bomb (BB) is as difficult as you're making it out to be. I got it the first time I tried it.
AGTing in every direction took me like a good day or two to master completely, though. And I can QAC 80% of the time, but QAC-dashing is a bit harder to pull off.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I've been getting the full momentum out of AGT 95% of the time now (my main issue previously), but it's just hitting the bomb that can be inconsistent. I've stopped mashing Up B and actually timed it with far better success so I've got a better feeling for it now. Link still feels a bit inconsistent though mostly because of the different hitboxes. The weaker hit might not combo the bomb and will just whack it away. As for just AGT hopping (throwing the bomb wherever, ADing upwards while DIing forwards), I have next to no trouble with that. I AGT backwards, forwards, and upwards quite a lot.

QUACK I can pull off, but because I'm mashing I have little to no focus on what I'm doing out of it. Plus I'm still not nailing it a good deal of the time. I would really love to see what Axe makes of it because he's already a god at sweetspotting QA as it is. It would tremendously advance his already impressive onstage play and everyone would ban BF against him.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
Game Grumps played Brawl on their youtube channel. Someone get ahold of them and get them to play P:M. At least spam their youtube page about it. It would make my month. Probably not my year, but at least my month.

cannedbread

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Q0JivEb4A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

showed up in my subscriptions just thought i'd bring it to y'all

and while we're on the discussion of quick attack i wanted to hit y'all with some advanced ****

if you qa on the floor in a straight direction (0°)in the first burst, and then qa in the inbetween direction (270°), you'll qa straight accross the ground during the two bursts

neat huh

@dingding

i think they would be more suited to brawl minus but it would be cool for publicity i guess

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Q0JivEb4A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

showed up in my subscriptions just thought i'd bring it to y'all

and while we're on the discussion of quick attack i wanted to hit y'all with some advanced ****

if you qa on the floor in a straight direction (0°)in the first burst, and then qa in the inbetween direction (270°), you'll qa straight accross the ground during the two bursts

neat huh

@dingding

i think they would be more suited to brawl minus but it would be cool for publicity i guess
ah, true that. They'd probably <3 brawl-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom