• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
Hey guys.

So, I'm back at college where I have humans to play against who are around my skill level consistently. Would you guys be interested in watching mid-level Smash and giving us tips via stream and chat?

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Hey guys.

So, I'm back at college where I have humans to play against who are around my skill level consistently. Would you guys be interested in watching mid-level Smash and giving us tips via stream and chat?
I'm around that level of play as well but I've been around the block a few times. I'd need to know how you guys play. Besides, watching P:M is fun.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
That too is Eeeww. Why would you do either of those... Don't have irl people to play against? Commit suicide. It's that simple.

I do have irl people to play but they all suck. :( The people on wifi are better than me so it actually makes it interesting.

I'M FREE AS A BIRD.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
metroidddd

Y U NO COME TO FC?

You probably woulda won, considering you're (apparently) better than Vro, and Vro kinda choked against HBox in GFs. :p

Jeez, it's crazy how people (coughikeplayerscough) who were never "Mango/HBox/Armada/PP-level" in melee are contesting top melee players in PM. =P
Granted, it's early in the metagame, but the top melee players are the top melee players for a reason. I'll bring up Metroid going even with Fly in those friendlies and Vro dominating the top6 pools as examples.

Lol Ike =P
Come to Apex!

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Lol, tonight was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Thanks guys :).

Laggy P:M with people > no P:M at all.
agreed. It's limiting but once you get use to it it's not too different from playing on a laggy T.V. Which I've done before.

I am going to try to get my pit online to be able to do the same cool stuff I do offline...difficult especially when every other person is fsmashing at you with Ike:(.

your Ike is pretty legit though.

Now that you play online I wonder if some others will start to join in. Should be interesting....too bad the wifi for Brawl wasn't done as well as Mario Kart Wii was.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah, it's almost as if the top players in Melee are inventing the metagame vs. Ike as they fight him over the course of 1 tournament, and the Ike players have the advantage of having fought them in Melee for 10 years.
and the Ike still lost

BROKEN CHARACTER PLEASE NERF PMBR

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Hahah! That's why I brought up that it's early in the metagame! :p

I didn't ask for any nerfs or anything in that post, I was just pointing out that it's pretty crazy how there are already PM-exclusive players rising to the top and competing with the best of Melee :p

The reference to Ike was mostly a joke, lol
(although, it's true that it's mainly Ike players that have been contesting with the top, but it makes sense considering that Ike's metagame has arguably been developed the most)

You're probably just messing around too, and I'm just taking your post too seriously lol

MaxThunder

PM Support
Wifi is pretty good when the input lag is negligible=)...
wait i'm not sure i know what that word means... too lazy to google it... oh well...

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yeah, it's almost as if the top players in Melee are inventing the metagame vs. Ike as they fight him over the course of 1 tournament, and the Ike players have the advantage of having fought them in Melee for 10 years.
and the Ike still lost

So you're going to nerf him right? :awesome:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
and the Ike still lost

That is false, there's simply nothing you can do when you get comboed ACROSS the stage with GOOD DI!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
*Shakes head* If you would've critiqued that match, you'd see I missed tons of opportunity to punish.. but wait yes you don't see because it's too dark!!

Ace55

Smash Lord
Kage just go into the lab, figure the matchup out and **** him next time. Whining like this isn't your style.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Wifi is pretty good when the input lag is negligible=)...
wait i'm not sure i know what that word means... too lazy to google it... oh well...
No input lag is negligible.

Negligible means roughly "Infinitesimal" and "Insignificant." A forced 6 frames of lag, plus whatever extra frames the connection causes, plus any frozen frames, make a huge difference between shielding Bowser's F-smash on reaction and being hit because the shield came out 6+ frames late.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Wifi is terrible.

If you guys actually had the luxury of playing offline with good players on a regular basis, you'd never play wifi ever again.

I know this from experience! :awesome:

It really sucks that many of you don't have the ability to do that, so I guess there really is no choice but to make do with what you have. :/

OmegaMuffin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OmegaMuffin498
I'm around that level of play as well but I've been around the block a few times. I'd need to know how you guys play. Besides, watching P:M is fun.
Well I don't mean to toot my own horn, but the last match where I played a spacie I only SD'd once.

Yup.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Kage just go into the lab, figure the matchup out and **** him next time. Whining like this isn't your style.
What makes you think he hasn't tried that already? Kage's never the type to whine about something. If he's complaining, that means he's tried everything he can, and come to the conclusion that there's nothing he can do.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
It's not whining, it's the truth. A warrior follows the road of truth, not ignorance or delusions. I have to know exactly what went wrong and then yes I can try to figure out how to make my mental stamina better but as a Ganon main the likelihood of doing that is extremely tough because I'm bound to fight sets of 5 games all the time vs players my level. (During the Top 6 of P:M and Top 8 of Melee FC, I fought wayyy too many like that and that kills your focus.) And also I know this matchup like the back of my hand and it's also my favorite matchup in the game. Even if people say they dont understand how I do or they think the matchup is impossible for Ganon, I'm still able to beat pretty much any Falcon mains if I play it right. The general precision I normally have just wasn't there that time because I thought too much of the outcome and getting revenge vs Darkrain lol. I wasn't level headed at all, I wanted it too much.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
No it's not, usually you can escape. I know how to SDI goddamn it!!
I'm not saying you don't, but, it's not just a foregone conclusion. Even if it were, the tradeoff of being a great character (which Ganondorf is pretty much unanimously considered in P:M) in Melee (or Melee 2.0, as it were), is that you get comboed to Hell and back. It's kind of the rules. :(

kaizo13

Smash Champion
either post videos of YOU exploiting good Ike players...or stop telling veteran players to get better

Ace55

Smash Lord
I was talking about Vro (Ike) not Darkrain, Kage is amazing at the Falcon matchup. The Ike matchup on the other hand is quite new. I'm sure he can figure it out though.

metroid1117

Smash Master
metroidddd

Y U NO COME TO FC?

You probably woulda won, considering you're (apparently) better than Vro, and Vro kinda choked against HBox in GFs. :p

Jeez, it's crazy how people (coughikeplayerscough) who were never "Mango/HBox/Armada/PP-level" in melee are contesting top melee players in PM. =P
Granted, it's early in the metagame, but the top melee players are the top melee players for a reason. I'll bring up Metroid going even with Fly in those friendlies and Vro dominating the top6 pools as examples.

Lol Ike =P
Come to Apex!
I was still in CA for my summer internship haha, I would've loved to go to FC. I think Vro is better than me though; I do more QD stuff than he does, but Vro is much smarter and is much more efficient (ex. he uses DTilt and FSmash for edgeguards). Considering that he has much more experience than I do and still choked against Hungrybox, I probably would've choked in the top 6 pools because of all the big name players.

Also, even though I went 4-6 against Fly in those friendlies, keep in mind that the six games I lost were all in a row... I don't think it was that even haha. We're probably going to play again at The Big House 2 though, so expect some rematches. I doubt I can go to APEX, it's during my school year :(.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
either post videos of YOU exploiting good Ike players...or stop telling veteran players to get better
either post videos of YOU exploiting good Ike players...or stop telling veteran players to stop telling veteran players to get better

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well.. I'd love to see some technology, if there's actual options to do anything about it. Try Ganon vs Ike, as soon as you are in the air getting hit, he pretty much has no options since Ike is faster and has more range. Ganon has no moves fast enough where he can push Ike away from pressure like that. You can even Uair/Fair Fox sometimes if he tries to continue to juggle you but against Ike you cant do anything like that. If you want to side-B as well, it definitely won't hit. It's not an impossible match-up but man, you really have to heavily damage him, if you can, before he can start doing his **** to you lol. And it's also almost impossible to edgeguard him.

metroid1117

Smash Master
And it's also almost impossible to edgeguard him.
I don't know what Reflex has in mind, but here are some ideas that I've had success with when testing Ike's recovery. For high Aethers, you can beat it out with (very) well-spaced FAirs, UAirs, and BAirs. For low Aethers (edge-level or lower), you can try stomping or edgehogging. However, if you go for the edgehog, you must grab the edge as Ike throws his sword. This may seem unreasonable, but considering how people have gotten accustomed to edgehogging Marth (who has a slower up+B), it's not that bad once you get used to the timing. The only time you'll get spiked is if you time it too early, otherwise the ascending hits of Aether should pop you up and out of the descending spike hitbox. If you manage to grab the edge as Ike's sword is going upward, you can drop from the edge, UAir, then double-jump and up+B; if done properly, Ike should jump right into the reverse hit of the UAir. For video demonstrations on hitting Ike out of Aether, you can reference this video for high Aethers (Ganon isn't in there, but hopefully it'll give you ideas on the timing; even attacks like Falco's DAir can hit Ike out of Aether) and this video for low Aethers.

As for QD, probably the best way is to either BAir or get under Ike and double-jump UAir when he goes over you. The latter method should minimize the chances of getting hit by QD attack. The QD walljump -> Aether is a bit unreasonable, but you can either try walk-off stomp to hit Ike before he touches the wall or wait for the wall-jump, grab the edge as Ragnell goes upward, and then drop down with an UAir as described above. At low %s and on certain stages, Ike can probably just QD walljump and up+B again though.

I hope this helps. I'm going to play Mad today, I'll record some matches of me using characters that aren't Ike (including Ganon) so that edgeguarding Ike seems clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom