• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Wiis are so cheap now, it's great. On Google I found one used for $50. Though perhaps used for a game like Brawl isn't optimal.
Bah, why don't people just get a triwing and new disc laser for ~$6 and do the repair themselves? It's pretty easy.

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
To anyone thinking about entering Project M Singles at The Big House 2: there's a 32 entrant cap on the event, so register ASAP! Registration and information can be found here.
I am considering entering this, although I don't exactly have prior tournament experience :/ If there is a limit on people, should I let other, most likely better, players enter instead? I've been playing Project M since the days of Demo 1 faithfully, but I don't have experience fighting people better than me, which is really the only practical way I see of getting better. I've surpassed my group of Smash friends a while ago. Since this tournament is so close to me while I am at college, I really feel compelled to register.

What does someone with tourney experience think? Should I give it a shot? I'm certainly no pro, but I'm not half bad as I've been playing smash since the release of 64.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I am considering entering this, although I don't exactly have prior tournament experience :/ If there is a limit on people, should I let other, most likely better, players enter instead? I've been playing Project M since the days of Demo 1 faithfully, but I don't have experience fighting people better than me, which is really the only practical way I see of getting better. I've surpassed my group of Smash friends a while ago. Since this tournament is so close to me while I am at college, I really feel compelled to register.

What does someone with tourney experience think? Should I give it a shot? I'm certainly no pro, but I'm not half bad as I've been playing smash since the release of 64.
I've never been to a tourney, but I say go. If it were an option for me to be at it I would go simply for the experience of going to a tournament and playing against good people for a change. God I can't wait until college.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
I've never been to a tourney, but I say go. If it were an option for me to be at it I would go simply for the experience of going to a tournament and playing against good people for a change. God I can't wait until college.
This. If you ever have the opportunity and time to go to a tournament, do it. I've missed my chances and damn, have I regretted it. I watch live streams and am like "I could BE THERE." Go out and further the metagame!

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889

I say go. I personally learned alot from my first Tournaments I went to and trust me I can still learn alot more. Its sorta like a test to see how far you've come as a smasher imo. Also not to mention you can make a ton of friends. I still am learning more and more of this game every time I get to play with my friends/watching streams. I dunno if I'll be able to make it this year or not due to last year it was the same time as my family reunion. I say give it a shot even if you loose you'll gain more experience. I'm no pro either.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Technically you don't need to enter the PM tourney to play better players. You can get tons of friendlies in without having to be in the bracket.
It's a way to learn to deal with tourney pressure. I choked hard in a very casual tournament and ranked third to terrible Samuses LOL

metroid1117

Smash Master

Like Monk said, if you're really that hesitant to enter because you're taking up a spot, you can just go and play friendlies (I, for one, will be playing as many P:M friendlies as possible). However, if you want to enter, you shouldn't feel bad about taking up a spot - there aren't any prerequisites for entering, so if people don't get to enter, it's because they couldn't plan ahead far enough to do so. As other people said, getting into that tournament mindset is something that can only be done by entering a tournament. Not only that, but first tournaments are honestly some of the most memorable experiences ever, and making The Big House 2 your first one would be amazing. My first tournament was MLG Chicago 2006 (I got destroyed lol), I will never forget that day.

TL;DR - Sign up if you want to sign up, making The Big House 2 your first tournament will be amazing.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
gonna play metroid in hundreds of DK vs Ike friendlies (after the bracket)

metroid1117

Smash Master
gonna play metroid in hundreds of DK vs Ike friendlies (after the bracket)
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

By the way...

all of the top 6 RR matches were recorded =)
What channel(s) will those be on? Are they spread between VideoGameBootCamp, Omnigamer, and JCaesar's channels? I want to see more of Vro's Ike, his neutral game is so much better than mine...

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thank you so much for the input everybody. I really appreciate it. I decided to enter P:M singles. I expect to get my *** handed to me (although hopefully not too badly), but I want the tourney experience. And friendlies sound like a lot of fun with people who actually know what they are doing in Project M. I look forward to seeing some of you there! Until then, i'll be working hard on improving my Game&Watch.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Alright, thank you so much for the input everybody. I really appreciate it. I decided to enter P:M singles. I expect to get my *** handed to me (although hopefully not too badly), but I want the tourney experience. And friendlies sound like a lot of fun with people who actually know what they are doing in Project M. I look forward to seeing some of you there! Until then, i'll be working hard on improving my Game&Watch.
Just play homo as you work around your faults and improve. There's no harm in playing safely to see what works and what doesn't.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I see no reason to ever go into a game with any other mentality than to play as homosexual as possible. Honour can suck a ****.
It is a scrub mentality to think about "honor" during a match, but in extreme cases where the most viable strategies are also the most "lame" (*cough planking in Brawl cough*), it kills hype and respect for the game if all players play like that. Jigglypuff and Sheik camping the edge are examples that apply to Melee and PM, but thankfully that hasn't caught on.

On a side note, I fall into the scrub category and go for what's most satisfying and "tasteful" to pull off rather than what's most efficient. That's why I rarely DTilt, FSmash, or Eruption for edgeguards >.>.

:phone:

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I mean, there are certain "Gentlemen's Rules" where there is an unspoken agreement to do certain things in a match. In Melee, these unspoken agreements were things like no CGing in sheik dittos (I'm looking at you, Toast. I still beat you even though you did that, regardless :p) and other silly things like utilting to edgeguard in falcon dittos.

But if there is a large sum of money on the line, anything goes, and you really need to do whatever it takes (just play homo) in order to win :p

edit:
...Maybe that's why I do a lot better in tournament/MMs than I do in friendlies, since I'm not afraid to just play like an *** in order to win in serious matches, rather than trying to hold back spamming too much in friendlies so that my opponent won't start cussing at me :p (I don't like enemies, IRL :D)

In my pools matches, I got John! to start yelling out swear words during our matches because of how many fire arrows, rangs, and bombs I was hitting him with, and getting free up-b's/dair kills as a result :p I'm pretty sure I even got JCaesar to swear out loud during our MM as well.. lool ><

I usually say sorry after the match is over (usually when I win as a result of playing homo) to ensure there's no bad blood between me and my opponent just because I like being cool with everyone and I don't have any enemies, and would like to keep it that way :p

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It's got nothing to do with a fear of being caught stalling. No one ever gets called out for stalling at tournaments. Most people just don't have the patience to camp or run away all match. Props to the players who do (that's not sarcasm, I actually wish I had that kind of patience myself).

MaxThunder

PM Support
I think the fear of playing such a keep away and safe style for a long time came from a fear of being ousted for "stalling." It's hilarious hearing people accuse Armada for camping when using a character made entirely of projectiles and ****ty frame unsafe normals. Like sorry for using a character's strong points to cover their weaknesses?

The worst are the accusations that playing safely requires no or less skill than coming in recklessly.
Armada did admit to trying to time out HBox, though...

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I dunno if anyone else cares ab out this but I was playing Project M with the Portugal crew a few weeks ago and someone was playing a lot of Bowser in teams.

The combination of the amount of stuff happening in a teams match, the melee camera's speed, and Bowser's special camera shake was actually giving me motion sickness and making it difficult to play.

I'm just one guy but it was really, really difficult for me to play teams with a Bowser in the match (and less important but still worth noting, it made it hard to see what was happening lol). It's probably worth nothing that I have never experienced motion sickness while playing a video game until then.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
@discussion.

The truth be told playing like a homosexual is completely legit. Does it take skill to completely avoid contact with another character to obtain victory? yes it does. Should you do it? If it's the best chance to win money then yeah you should. The reason for entering a tournament is to win by any legal means necessary.

So where lies the problem with campy, over defensive, and time out oriented strategy? The problem is in the structure of the melee community. If everyone or even a third of the top player played sheik/puff/Peach and they all camped, planked, and went for time-outs I'm pretty sure this thread wouldn't exist. Project M wouldn't exist, and the melee community would've been dead by now. The Melee community's foundation from the beginning has always been hype of some kind. Crew vs Crew, Coast vs Coast, Nation vs Nation...etc. Then handfuls of players across the country/planet took it upon themselves to make statements when they played. Not to simply play lame, campy, or "gay" but to open themselves up to potential harm in order to show their rivals and the world-wide community watching that they were truly better than whomever they were playing against. That mentality of not just getting the win but making a statement, making people remember you and want to see you play again as well as play against you is what carried the melee community this far and what still continues to carry it to this day.

So what I'm saying in a nutshell is that it's good for you to try to win however you can. However, The life or death of melee depends on how the best players succeed. Should matches like Apex GF's or Pink Shinobi vs anyone at Genesis1 become the standard style of match-ups then the community will be in trouble.

Life

Smash Hero
That might be true for Melee, but remember that PM is a hacked game and as such, if the meta were to get too campy, stuff could be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom