• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Connecting your controller can be legitimately frustrating at times if you're dumb enough to play with a wiimote/nunchuk/classic controller.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Hey guys! Octorox of the Project M Back Room has made a promotional video for the MELEE-FC Legacy Project M tournament in South Bend, IN, August 12-14. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGokjhjhv1k

Read the description for more information. Hope to see you guys there!

kaizo13

Smash Champion
nice, but you guys need to stop using old *** clips haha

there's a lot of new awesome P:M footage out there ya know

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
While its true that is an example of rising aerials not beating CC, thats a pretty narrow minded focus. Link has a lot of other things he could do out of shield; the safest being just bair OoS instead, fast falling the second kick so its not punishable. If the Link wanted to be more ballsy, he could just dair OoS if he thinks the DK is going to take the hit; he could jump away and charge an arrow/throw a boomerang, etc. He could wavedash away and poke with jab/ftilt. The depth here lies in that it forces Link to do unorthodox OoS options; otherwise nair OoS would be his only go-to punish.

Removing CCing completely would completely change game balance, too. Good jabs would suddenly become much more powerful (and they're pretty good already IMO). Fast characters like sheik could suddenly attack with abandon instead of having to approach carefully. Peach would lose one of her biggest assets, and fox wouldn't have much of a reason to dair anymore. Would take a lot of re-balancing, and it seems fine as is to me.
Just tone down CCing. Idk what happened in the shift to P:M but you are able to CC attacks at much higher % than Melee and that's not good. I'm guessing part of it is the body collision being different for Brawl than Melee honestly.

Either way, you can keep CC in the game but it's gotta be toned down from what it currently looks like in P:M because it does feel more ridiculous than Melee lol.
Really, the things I have issue with as far as CCing goes are thus:

During low knockback, multi-hit moves, you can SDI downward until you're able to ASDI into the ground. I don't know if it was possible in Melee, but it has happened to me in P:M.

You can CC during your own moves' animations. This strikes me as CCing's biggest offense, because it forgives players for their own bad spacing and decision-making by preventing several kinds of punishment.

The input is perpetual. There's no window after which you cease to CC. So rather than CCing being tool of prediction/reaction that requires skill and timing to implement, it's a continuous state that's incredibly simple to achieve, and that forces your opponent to play totally differently. The cost-benefit ratio is thrown totally out of whack by this aspect. If the move had more of a slashback like quality to it, where it had a window of success, I'd have much less of an issue with it.

I agree with all of the above.

This thread won't stop until people have picked out every single aspect of Melee and written lengthy explanations on why they're bad for the game.

When that happens I'm probably gonna quit playing this game. Watch, next someone is gonna go after directional airdodging. Or maybe short hopping since some characters unfairly have higher SHs than others?
Huh? So, people should just give no feedback at all on the game right? If you think melee is a perfect game why are you even interested in P:M? You don't like any of the changes they've made from melee period just because they are different?

I've been going to melee tournaments since 2003, I love the game to death but I know how to look at things objectively to make something I enjoy better rather than just having a shallow attitude about it. There isn't anything wrong with bringing something up for discussion, and several people have made points I agree with for keeping it in.

Guyz shielding is bad because it changes the way the game plays!
All you have to do is shield when they get close and if they hit it you punish!
It's worse than ccing because it can be done at any percent.
Must be bad for the game so lets remove it!
Childish.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Hey guys! Octorox of the Project M Back Room has made a promotional video for the MELEE-FC Legacy Project M tournament in South Bend, IN, August 12-14. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGokjhjhv1k

Read the description for more information. Hope to see you guys there!
I like the fact that me, gallo, and eli are the trailer. :awesome:

seriously though 4 of those clips are from the 2.1 trailer and another 4 of them are from gallo's vids...then 2 eli clips and BAM trailer :D

it's good though just....feels kind of weird seeing it cut and pasted into another one though....

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
@hylian
Calling me childish doesn't prove me wrong. Prove to me that shielding adds depth to the game.
Do you not believe shielding adds depth or are you just being childish again? Do you believe shielding and CCing are the same thing?

Pretty sure you're just being an ***.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Well if you can say CCing adds little depth, and half a dozen people provide evidence indicating otherwise, yet you still refuse to accept it, then I ask you to provide evidence that shielding provides depth, and I too will refuse to believe it on completely vague grounds. Yes, I am being an ***. *******ry is the common man's misperception of blunt opposition.

Also, on an unrelated note.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Why do we even have to press down to CC? It's always beneficial and there's no reason why you'd ever choose not to do it. It's just a mindless execution barrier that makes you press an extra button to add artificial fake depth. Crouch cancelling should be made automatic in Project M.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Yeah, we used a few clips from that vid. They're good clips though, so if anything it should be a compliment :p We had a limited amount of time to make this vid, and what matters is the end product and I think we've accomplished what we wanted; a really hype Project M trailer for FC.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well if you can say CCing adds little depth, and half a dozen people provide evidence indicating otherwise, yet you still refuse to accept it, then I ask you to provide evidence that shielding provides depth, and I too will refuse to believe it on completely vague grounds. Yes, I am being an ***. *******ry is the common man's misperception of blunt opposition.
Ok, you really should read what you type before posting. Also, I would suggest reading other posts in this thread so you have a little idea of what people are talking about.
I agree with all of the above.
Gee I wonder what I was agreeing with. It COULDN'T have been well thought out posts on good aspects of crouch cancelling, no no no that mean Hylian actually reads posts!

You are being ridiculous. I'm sorry I think about things instead of just blindly agreeing but it clearly wasn't everyone versus me. Several people acknowledged my thoughts and agreed/provided different solutions, and several people made good points about the depth CCing has. I also provided examples and was interested on other peoples thoughts on the matter.

Why do we even have to press down to CC? It's always beneficial and there's no reason why you'd ever choose not to do it. It's just a mindless execution barrier that makes you press an extra button to add artificial fake depth. Crouch cancelling should be made automatic in Project M.
Can't tell if being facetious...

Oh man, you're level of comprehension is astounding.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Yeah, we used a few clips from that vid. They're good clips though, so if anything it should be a compliment :p We had a limited amount of time to make this vid, and what matters is the end product and I think we've accomplished what we wanted; a really hype Project M trailer for FC.
I'm honor'd...it just came as a shock when I watched the trailer and saw footage from my own is all.Like my DK *****. DK ***** in general in Project M though.

I would've gladly did an FC trailer though if you wanted too though. I have alot of good clips compiled at this point enough for another trailer. It is a good trailer for FC in the end though so that's all that matters. Glad I could help out.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
That's cool, I guess we can play the "Let's make strawmen and pretend it makes the other party wrong" game.

Oh man, you're level of comprehension is astounding.
you're level of comprehension
I'm not the only one lacking comprehension.

[collapse=Warning, this might blow your mind.]That's not an actual attack on you. It's not worth my time to invest actual brainpower and retort seriously. Why I even posted this in response is a ****ing mystery. But I would l would like to make it clear, for potential future reference, that I was not the first to make a personal attack in this brief exchange.[/collapse]

@everyone else
Sorry for going off topic. But I figure if it's okay for a administrator to show this lack of self control, then it's especially forgivable in my case.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Not taking any sides, or anything, but this post makes me think of l-canceling. And we all know how that has been discussed to death, and it never ends well...
In other words: this bickering between DrinkingFood and Hylian is getting old and isn't getting us anywhere; just agree to disagree, saving your energy and time instead of doing something that will waste more of both parties' time...

metroid1117

Smash Master
Considering that you made the remark about shields without explicitly relating it to CCing and your tone was very sarcastic, I also interpreted your post as "*******ry." The quoted post above, which states that "*******ry is the common man's misperception of blunt opposition," can be interpreted as a personal attack because it strongly implies that the targeted audience (Hylian) is a "common man" and that you are at an elevated position.

But seriously people, the sarcastic exchanges should stop. It's the Internet, it is much harder to interpret a speaker's tone than it is in real life. Are we going back to discussing CC'ing objectively or not? I personally hope that the former is the case.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
That's cool, I guess we can play the "Let's make strawmen and pretend it makes the other party wrong" game.

I'm not the only one lacking comprehension.

[collapse=Warning, this might blow your mind.]That's not an actual attack on you. It's not worth my time to invest actual brainpower and retort seriously. Why I even posted this in response is a ****ing mystery. But I would l would like to make it clear, for potential future reference, that I was not the first to make a personal attack in this brief exchange.[/collapse]

@everyone else
Sorry for going off topic. But I figure if it's okay for a administrator to show this lack of self control, then it's especially forgivable in my case.
Assuming you've been trolling most if not all of this time, you are now my new favorite poster in this thread. Congratulations. Here's an obnoxiously large cookie.

Mic Edit: Congratulations! Have an infraction!

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
so yeahhhh

There will be a Project M Teams tournament, no question.

We'll look at finding time for it in the schedule when we do the revamp. Otherwise, there will be time.

anybody going to FC wanna team in P:M with the WORLD FAMOUS CARROLL!?!

Mario/dedede and i guess if nothings working i can play my melee main, fox. lol

although im not super experienced in P:M teams i have won multiple Melee doubles events over the years including another one just this last saturday.

J CEAZER!?!?!? You Down!??

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I have no idea. I'd team with you if you weren't so lazy and you came to FC, though. :p

I'd probably team with like Monk or something since we talked about it before. I have no idea how that would work though since I've never played with him. I could maybe team with Rusty as well, since Violence isn't coming anymore and he won't have a partner.. But rusty gets kinda mad at you if you hit him even once, but if he fsmashes you with ike, it's just like LOL it's all good man.

Yakal and Meta are more than likely going to be teaming together since they're the best team in BC, so either of them is out of the question.

So I have no idea. lol

`dazrin

Smash Champion
If you want, I could team with you, carroll. I'm not a very experienced doubles player though.

Sup to you, though.

Monk and I could still be teaming though, so yeah. no promises.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
JC, I know you're static teammates with cmart, but can you team with me in my cool hair MM against Daze? We'd make an unstoppable team.

On a side note, I was really hoping there'd be a Melee Online demo at FC so I could enter using that, but unfortunately there won't be.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Toaster, I'll team with you! We can sing K-On duets to distract our opponents, and guarantee victory!

Oh wait, I'm not going to FC. Oh well. It was a good idea, kind of.

KingBlaze777

Smash Apprentice
YO! TL mains everywhere!

When you use the bow in mid air you could move Tink forwards or backwards, I'm pretty sure that you all knew that. But did you know that if you dash -> jump -> reverse B and keep holding back on the control stick you could reverse the momentum? It's quite good, a bit situational, but nonetheless useful. People should start experimenting with this, it's really good for positioning AND it allows you to charge your arrow while remaining mobile.

Make good use of this in stages with multiple platforms, you'll not regret it.

I don't know if it's already been discovered by Frenum or 'daze but I haven't seen them discussing it or using this, so I just dropped it here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom