• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There is not a guaranteed release date at the moment. Stop asking.
and stop quoting old posts about a release date for a free game we've been working on for over 2 years of our lives holy ****. we're working as fast as we can

Samus-T

Smash Lord
Constant redundant questions and post quoting just goes to show how excited we all are for the project <3

Try to look at it as a compliment!

:phone:

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
For us, yes, but remember that this is a public demo. Those of us who follow this thread are a small minority out of the total Smash players who are interested in Project M. They must be presented with a professional and completed product because the thing you said doesn't apply to them.
I'd really like to know more about the work going into Project M on a more regular basis, and what is standing in the way of release. This would make it feel more like something that is in development and understandable rather than something you could probably release any time, like a brawl+ nightly build or whatever.

I mean, look at what those overgrowth guys are doing.

We all love the project and hope dearly for its success, but lacking any feedback on how it's progressing, we keep checking in to try to get information, only to get vague answers and angry devs.

No matter what, people are still going to ask about the release date. Especially now when it's so close. Get a sense of humor about it or figure out a better solution for dealing with people asking.

EDIT: Also, Shadic is a bro. Give him a medal.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
You won't get an angry Shadic. I'm the sexiest PR man ever.

Basically. We've still got a bunch fine-tuning to do with the roster. Hitboxes need to be triple-checked, follows-ups have to be looked at on different characters, risk/reward debates in the PMBR have to be had, random attributes have to be meleeified, Magus touches need to be made, "it's good enough" mentality has to be reached.

Not to mention the actual preparation for the Demo 2 release: Character website writeups, maintaining interest and and general discussion on the forums, (oh hai, self-referential post) whittling down the release roster, setting up the infrastructure for the masses so they can actually download the game, having FAQs and tutorials up to address concerns, etc.

We have over 26,000 posts in our private backroom. Not to mention all of the discussion that goes on in the IRC. My own backroom IRC log is 33 MB. We just broke 6,400 revisions on the SVN. We put in a lot of work into this thing.

Edit:
so. much. bacon.
This is the reason we made this game.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Holy mother**** ton of work. 6.4k revisions?
Yup.
Server clog not confirmed for Demo 2!
I wish. Hopefully we'll have enough mirrors that it wouldn't be too bad. It's still going to be an over 100MB download, times however many people download it. (Demo 1 was approximately 80MB, so 100MB is a low-balling it.)

Getting 4-5K downloads in the first week wouldn't be terribly surprising. I'd expect quite a bit more, honestly.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Thank you very much, Shadic.

Will there be a backup mediafire link or something? The download page was a huge problem the first time around, and I can see that happening again.

On average, how frequently is the SVN updated?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
The release will most likely be downloaded directly from our website, not some third party filehosting place.

shanus

Smash Hero
The funny thing is the SVN of 6.4K entries doesn't count how many files were edited.

If we track by total number of files edited, the number gets really impressive:

Total File Changes: 20028.
Total Commits: 6403.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
Man i hope zss is in demo 2 she is looking pretty cool. And pit would be cool as well (this post was brought to u by being at work and being bored)

:phone:

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Primarily singles.

Talking about the upload thing I do think that its awesome that you guys are gonna do a straight d/l from the site makes it more professional. I was gonna say if your worried about crashes maybe try uploading it as a Torrent file. Could probably upload it through your website and possibly others but idk if others would charge. I don't think Demonoid does and it can't really be taken down by the gov due to they changed their website to a European server I think.

As for characters I am really hoping to see DK, Pit, Luigi hopefully next :) but its up to the devs who they want and think can perform in the demo :) looking forward to the next character update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom