• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

iLink

Smash Champion
The aura screws over Lucario in already tough MU's. Take snake or D3 for example. You HAVE to be at kill percent in order to KO these characters. If you happen to get screwed first stock, you have to get ***** all over again in order to do anything back to them.

@ magic series thing: the term first came up in Darkstalkers which basically means being able to chain light>medium>heavy attacks. It isn't a popular term that is thrown around but most people in the community recognize it.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
I explained it on smashmods already. It was made that way because spambots were editing their sigs with links. If you change your board layout to something other than the default you can edit your sig. You can then go back to the default layout if you wish.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I can agree with some of this, I will firmly disagree he is better here than in Brawl, different meta-games, different tools, I don't believe Lucario is that good here when a lot of his moveset is answerable with the same things your trying to stop, camping him back.
Lucario's goal is to always be on your hide and he has the mobility for that. His Down B is one of his means to avoid camping. He also has a great wavedash, dash-dance and moonwalk that he can use to get around. If you get camped too much, you are doing something wrong.

He shoots Aura sphere for a set-up, just run away from him and move somewhere where he can't follow it up. Only on stages like FD is he going to be better with catching characters in a way where he can attempt to force it with a throw into it. I recognize he can use it to edge guard, If the mechanics of melee work here with the ledge and how some characters recover.
It's also a stage control. I've used it against Bowser on Battlefield very often to keep him above me and also to mess up his super armour timing. I've also used it to force people to shield, jump, roll, thus allowing me to get an attack in. Most of the time, you won't aim to hit with the move but to force someone to move and if he's camping, to stop camping you. Lucario is heavy on mindgames. You got to be very creative.

You need an even harder read than what you needed in Brawl to catch people with a SuperSphere. Making it even slower is just going to make it more limited in usage. Even if there are set-ups into it, nothing is really stopping character from playing keep away and safe until it goes away. It's stage control momentarily, and then you'll lose it until you have to build it up slowly again in which I can only see 2 charges max per stock, maybe 3, 4 if your lucky.
you underestimate slow projectiles. The appeal of them is that they are hard to dodge. You can't spotdodge it and most rolls can't do a thing about it. It's difficult to powershield and also, it allows you to work around it. While I find it more useful against poeple offstage because their options are limited, you can find use for it on every stage. It helps you approach them while they are playing keep-away by limiting their movement options if anything.

Furthermore, you will rarely need more than 1-2 charges to seal the deal, and if you play your cards right, you can easily gain one in a single combo and possibly up to two if you did something amazing. Two to three solid comboes should give your full charge. You also must never rely too much on charges. If you think you can kill without your charge without risk, do it. If the situation calls for using a charge, don't worry about losing it, just do it. It'll disappear if you die anyways. There's much thought that goes into when and how to properly use a charge, but you need to get good enough to play with the assumption you don't have a charge at all times

I can sort of understand the point of might not working as well in Melee, though being fair 0-deaths aren't that common if not rare even more so after watching APEX 2012, I was there. From an edgeguard sure, but I do think it is possible to scale it in a way it doesn't bone him over if that is a problem.
Yes, but they are still more common than in Brawl, but that's a battle system difference. But I'll be honest with you. I personally think that Lucario's aura system in Brawl is a pointless gimmick. As for why he was changed, I wasn't part of the team when that direction started so you're going to have to ask shanus about that. But I can see why this aura system was dropped. The Brawl version of aura had the issue of making Damage and KB iconsistent for Lucario, and while it boosted his power, his combo ability suffered in the end. So as it increased, Lucario had an easier time killing, he did less damage per second. In a sense, against a low percent foes, his aura system became a liability. For a game like Project M, this weakness is more crippling. tIt's not that you can't combo in Brawl, but it was a bit more forgiving.

Our new system makes Lucario into a much more agressive fighter, but also makes his bread and butter comboes more consistent.

I see him being changed, I don't see him holding his own very well in this kind of environment.
I held out pretty well against the legion and I consider them better players than I. I've improved since then and I'm pretty sure Lucario is good enough to fight at high levels. He has other tools to make him good, trust me. At least give it a try (several because he's hard to to master) :). Keep in mind, this is an entierly different game. Brawl aura hurts Lucario a LOT in a Melee environment.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Lucario has one of the highest damage outputs in P:M, a legit approach, usable projectile, solid KO options, great dash, fabulous moonwalk and generally versatile moveset. What more could you possibly want?

K, thread, don't update. It's not as if we're together anymore, anyway.
Ok. There's a "Demo 2 in March" thing going around, how plausible is this?
"By the end of March"
Shadic did it. I blame Shadic.

:phone:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Nah 9K, his approach wihtout a charge is utter crap. You're just not used to it yet. That's his big defining weakness. I saw you play against him and you shield way too much, lol. Try to hit with the end of your hammer with DDD. He will have a very hard time getting in. His damage output is actually not as high at it looks. Although I agree that he is very versatile.

Golden rule for Brocario: Do.Not.Miss.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Yeah, poking furries in general is better than letting them feel my shield up. Out of curiosity, what options does Lucario have against planking? I'm pretty sure that he can still Extremehog, but that's definitely not enough.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
He can extreme hog. He can also use his Aura bomb. It actually kills plankers. Down Air near the ground can get them off the ledge. Some thing I enjoy doing is throwing an Aura bomb, then descending and doing a back air, possibly stage-spiking them in the process. You can also try to intercept them with down Tilt, then kill with N-air.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Magic Series is used on the srk wiki on UMvC3, the full name is 'Base Ground Magic Series'.

There are distinct types of magic series, like zig-zag (Viewtiful Joe), stronger (Zero), stronger+ (Akuma) and light start (Ghost Rider). Each with its own characteristics.

The official term from capcom is 'chain' as used in street fighter x tekken.

The one more similar to Lucario's is Stronger+, allowing more than one light attack, one medium and one strong attack plus the normal to special cancel that every traditional fighter has.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
ALL OF MY HYPE

Wait, if Ike's QD can be jump-canceled, how was Shanus (at least I think it was Shanus) able to immediately connect his QD to a grab in some videos?

metroid1117

Smash Master
ALL OF MY HYPE

Wait, if Ike's QD can be jump-canceled, how was Shanus (at least I think it was Shanus) able to immediately connect his QD to a grab in some videos?
The jump squat animation (the animation your character undergoes before you jump off the ground) can be canceled with a grab. People usually refer to this as a jump-canceled (JC) grab. Similarly, you can cancel a jump squat animation with an USmash; people call this a JC USmash. (Not that it matters, I think you're thinking of Magus; Shanus just provided the link to Magus' videos.)

Regarding this mechanic, if you wanted to perform a turnaround-grab out of QD, would you have to jump-cancel the grab after pivoting or does it work like a regular pivot-grab?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Good because

Melee: Do not ****ing miss ****
Not unless you're Ken and you're a god at baiting sloppy approaches :p. Ken does it in that match 3 more times or something, what a beast. (That was their second set from the same tournament, Mango won the first set so Ken had a better grasp of his playstyle the second time around.)

@Toast: Thanks for the response. I want to know as much as possible about Ike before picking him up in Demo 2 :).

Also, I like how my activity in this thread increases as the time before finals week decreases...

D

Deleted member

Not unless you're Ken and you're a god at baiting sloppy approaches :p. Ken does it in that match 3 more times or something, what a beast. (That was their second set from the same tournament, Mango won the first set so Ken had a better grasp of his playstyle the second time around.)

@Toast: Thanks for the response. I want to know as much as possible about Ike before picking him up in Demo 2 :).

Also, I like how my activity in this thread increases as the time before finals week decreases...
Well theres a huge difference between missing something and missing something on purpose.

Otherwise baits wouldnt be a thing

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I expect the demo out next week since it's spring break for me!!

Also, what moves in Lucario's moveset were based on kenpo, is there a video? I'm curious because I've been takin kenpo for years

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Brief list of reasons I view Lucario as pretty good in PM:

1) Excellent dash-dance. This alone means a ton.
2) Pretty safe overall.
3) Pressures and punishes well.
4) Has a good projectile.
5) Has good KO moves that he can reliably combo into.
6) Is relatively decent in situations that are generally bad: he breaks out of combos pretty well, recovers decently (provided that he has a charge), is good at pretty safely repositioning himself, has good OoS options.
7) Edgeguards well.
8) Goes airborne quickly after a jump input.

Some of the above things are obviously interrelated and there are other things I neglected to mention because I didn't feel they were ultimately very significant or because I forgot about them. Most likely the latter since I typed this quickly.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
What's with people not knowing what a magic series is?
The term's been around for more than 15 years, IIRC it originated in CotA, so that would make it almost 18 years old.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
I know it as "combos" from Melty Blood, MvC3 and Naruto Gekkitou Ninja Taisen 4, but I could understand how that would be confusing here

>_>
<_<

I don't care how dumb Naruto is, NGNT4 was a legit game.

iLink

Smash Champion
Man I haven't played that in years lol I still have the freeloader I used to play it.

G

genkaku

Magic Series is used on the srk wiki on UMvC3, the full name is 'Base Ground Magic Series'.
There are distinct types of magic series, like zig-zag (Viewtiful Joe), stronger (Zero),
... that game has viewtiful joe?
I might just have to get a current gen console after all...

also, haha, NGNT4 was so legit. Really fun game. I've never lost a set.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I am kinda excited for lucario. I feel it is kinda risky to create a gimmick character, but if he works well i feel it would be a huge Accomplishment.

And dont think me saying he is a gimmick character is a negative thing, i think peach b/c of her float and fc is a gimmick character as well. Anyway kinda excited to see how lucario is going to work in a melee enviroment

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I expect the demo out next week since it's spring break for me!!

Also, what moves in Lucario's moveset were based on kenpo, is there a video? I'm curious because I've been takin kenpo for years
I'd say normal jab, up tilt, down smash especially. His dash attack also can be considered kenpo. He uses his entire body for these moves and they are continuous large, flowing movement. Body position in endlag also is similar to how you can end up after an attack in kenpo.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Oh god...

new avy? Perhaps...

Anyway, I figured out the issue with my sound. Xsplit hides its settings very well, and the audio was set to 32 kbps. Fixed! Should be much better tomorrow.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Just wondering... is the TL Nair animation final, or is it one of those things that'll get updated way down the line because, though it's not perfect, the animation is less important than the function and there are a lot of other functions in the game needing more attention as this function works just fine (function over form) currently?

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
more likely than not there's nothing that can be done about that
So there's no option to have him have any viewer to switch the stream over from 360p to 240p? I'm sure that I get a lot of lag on my end because my connection sucks, but I have no issue with other streams that I've seen. Perhaps it's the same for others as well. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom