• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Wow, I'm gone for one day (when does that ever happen?) and there's a new character update on the night that I'm away? Crazy. It really makes it feel like we're in the final stretch for the game as the release date rapidly approaches.

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
Believe me, I know how important a tool YL's Nair. That's why I said to keep all of its properties. It'd still be the exact same move, just that it wouldn't look bad. And I'm not just talking about that picture, I've seen it in the streams, and regardless of how many tweaks are made to the animation, I doubt TL kicking can ever look good.
I doubt anyone has seen the improvements I recently made to the animation outside of the pmbr...

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
She degenerates gameplay simply because half the cast became unplayable in tournament as a result of her existing.
I disagree so hard. The best characters that can be CGd by her are Ganondorf (whose viability really isn't hurt by the CG as he can CG her back), DK, Pikachu (Who is really hard to CG with Sheik anyway... even the best CGers drop it, and Pika still isn't unviable due to it), DK, and I guess Yoshi. DK and Yoshi are already unviable.
Granted most of them turned out to be not so good of characters anyway. Still, trying to promote closely contested competitive means something will half to be done about her. I mean what is the good of working on melee low tiers like yoshi for example if they still are auto-defeated by Sheik in the end?
They aren't auto-defeated by Sheik if they don't suck. See: Pikachu, Ganondorf, P:M DK. The reason low tiers are decimated by Sheik is because she outclasses them in every way, not just because of the CG. Those characters would lose regardless, and one match-up does not an unviable character make.

This thread moves way too fast for me to answer more posts lol

@Mch12: Meta Knight isn't even an argument. He's a newcomer and we changed him because vBrawl Meta Knight does not fit into the Project M environment. We are also able to take far greater liberties with newcomers and Melee not-top 8. This has been said approximately 85 million times. Thanks

Skieth

Smash Apprentice
I think the tl kick looks just fine in that picture. An aerial stab held in place would look odd IMO.

Also, lets not scare away updates by being overly critical...

9Kplus1

Smash Master
I disagree so hard. The best characters that can be CGd by her are Ganondorf (whose viability really isn't hurt by the CG as he can CG her back), DK, Pikachu (Who is really hard to CG with Sheik anyway... even the best CGers drop it, and Pika still isn't unviable due to it), DK, and I guess Yoshi. DK and Yoshi are already unviable.
There are two Donkey Kongs in Melee?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
If you want any assistance trying to convince him, sure, although I'm not the most assertive person. The only potential issues I see are time and set-ups. If there is a side event, it'll probably be for the demo, which should be out by NYTE since it's slated for late March/early April, so if enough people can vouch to bring a copy, having enough set-ups shouldn't be an issue. I don't know enough about the schedule of NYTE off the top of my head to know if cramming in a PM event would be feasible time-wise.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Kiri would snap you in half

Just wait until he's at a plateau where his QD2012 tech skill will finally come in handy. Kiri's latent powers largely outclass anything that we humans could possibly ever fathom.

edit: Could someone give Pikachu's tail a metal texture during Usmash? Replacing Slam with Iron Tail would not only be a lot much more canonically fitting, but adorably cute as well; graphically, it makes landing Usmash look so much more painful, and thus satisfying in the eyes of many.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
"Kiri would snap you in half

Just wait until he's at a plateau where his QD2012 tech skill will finally come in handy. Kiri's latent powers largely outclass anything that we humans could possibly ever fathom."

I am doomed

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Sheik's down throw nerf is not a buff to the tiers below her who would still have horrible matchups without it.
Even if that were true (and strictly speaking it isn't), it's tangential to my point, which is that the cg is centralizing and, to borrow a term, not interactive.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
edit: Could someone give Pikachu's tail a metal texture during Usmash? Replacing Slam with Iron Tail would not only be so much more (canonically) fitting, but adorably cute as well; graphically, it makes landing Usmash look so much more painful, and thus satisfying in the eyes of many.
THIS. this this this this.

Purely aesthetic and not a priority at all, but that would be really damn cool lol

btw: Magus' Ike is beaaaaast. dat QD man, whew. big plays.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386

They aren't auto-defeated by Sheik if they don't suck. See: Pikachu, Ganondorf, P:M DK. The reason low tiers are decimated by Sheik is because she outclasses them in every way, not just because of the CG. Those characters would lose regardless, and one match-up does not an unviable character make.
As I said to be fair alot of characters she beats out are already bad. However their are also alot of potentially good characters that she beats. To show you how good the Dthrow is I suggest you swap Mario's dthrow with Sheiks. Watch what happens. Then do the same thing with Marth. You'll start to see how gay it is:cool:

since that won't happen though I'll just state that my main point was....well though alot of characters are being made good they still won't be able to beat sheik if they fall perfectly in her 0-90% or death range. It's simply to safe and to easy to pull off. I mean...is it a coincidence that the only 3 characters above Sheik are the ones that are least effected by her Dthrow? Spacies can't be CG'd and neither can Puff. If they could be.....who would be the best character in this game?

metroid1117

Smash Master
TBH it just looks like Ryoko is mediocre*.

*Will elaborate, if asked.
Considering how Ryoko won the PM tournament that JCaesar hosted, it seems like someone around Ryoko's skill level (regardless of whether he's mediocre or really good) is a good indicator of whether a character can be considered viable. Given that Magus was Ike and going evenly with him, it's clear that Ike is definitely a lot better than some people gave him credit for. Ike going even against spacies would further solidify his viability.

But yeah, could you elaborate on why you think Ryoko is mediocre? I'm just curious. Also, if you and the other AZ players (Axe, Forward, Taj, Tai, GG7 etc.) hyped for PM, I'd be so happy :).

EDIT:

Kiri would snap you in half

Just wait until he's at a plateau where his QD2012 tech skill will finally come in handy. Kiri's latent powers largely outclass anything that we humans could possibly ever fathom.
No offense to Kiri, but considering how Magus was going even against Ryoko, it seems like his complaints were unwarranted.

Starscream

Smash Ace
BC scene generally doesn't like project:m. :(
Most of them are like "yeah, its actually kinda fun.... but it's not melee :/" and one guy i know REALLY hates it. He's all like "Project:m is brawl with an identity problem! If you like melee, play melee- if you like brawl play brawl >:[ :madmadmadmad:"

Not sure how the rest of Canada thinks O:
I'm going to make a real effort to come out to more Smash events in Vancouver and you'll have my support for P:M. If people aren't interested then we can have a P:M setup and if the game lives up to the hype then people will be naturally inclined to try it out and hopefully love it.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Bah, I'm outnumbered… Where did all the other whiners go? I would've sworn there was a swarm of us before… Hopefully they'll come out of the woodwork once Demo 2 is released and draws attention from the masses…
Or I'll just learn to deal with it. :cool:
To clarify, 'daze, I wasn't talking about TL Nair. I was talking about recreating the neutral attack from Adventure of Link. Modified to fit YL's frame data, of course, which I think could have looked perfectly natural next to his Uair and Dair, and not required doubling the length of a body part that was specifically designed to be short.
Anyway, I concede. I'll shut up about it now.

The basis of your reasoning is why I personally would prefer to field test a modified dthrow. We have an idea of what NTSC dthrow would look like on Project:M characters because of the large degree of similarity to Melee. If we release Demo 2 with NTSC dthrow and it proves overwhelming, we really haven't learned much. There's an element of predictability that would hamper the experiment. We still wouldn't have explored the effectiveness of an alternate solution. Conversely, if we implement a modified throw and release it in Demo 2, it will allow players to test the limits of an unknown quantity, and determine whether or not it is sufficient for Sheik herself to remain at that "top-tier" status without it.
But you're not trying to prove to the pro-NTSC chaingrab crowd that Sheik is still viable without. I don't believe they care about that. From what I can gather, the problem they have is that the nerf is arbitrary, and contradicts a goal of the project. To prove that it's not arbitrary, that it's a necessary change for the good of the game, we would have to field test it amongst the best of the community, let them see for themselves how powerful it is, gather data of how it centralizes the metagame, and record it all for future reference whenever someone brings up the subject again.

Irrespective of how much one may claim that the results shall be entirely predictable, it's never as strong as empirical evidence. In the face of facts, most proCGs will acknowledge that it truly was necessary, be content that they at least got the opportunity to explore their theory, and the community will be a calmer place. Those who continue their campaign may be ignored with clean conscience as being verifiably wrong.

And if it's not proven too powerful, everyone wins just the same. Sheik mains may keep their established strategies, the rest may keep their balance, the PMBR may keep their principles, and Sakurai may :urg:

This is an important decision, I think. One that shall be viewed as a precedent for future policies. Considering how contentious this subject appears just amongst thread regulars, I can only imagine that the broader community, the incredulous NTSC Melee Sheik mains in particular, shall form their own opinions on this subject. They are the target audience, the game's future; to draw them in, we would do well to be rational.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It would have you be his jumping crouch stab, not his "neutral" air stab to "replicate" the current sex kick Nair. The standing stab would be way too high-up. And the crouch stab would look kinda silly and wouldn't flow from/to his falling animation.

D

Deleted member

i still think ike blows and that ryoko was being exceedingly generous.

whatever, just keep sending ike players to those legion fests and i'll keep 4 stocking them.

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
Magus at least took the time to show that Ike isn't hopeless like everyone seemed to think, even if Ryoko was being generous. Sure, a lot of players probably can't use Ike that well, but we've been shown he can do well in the right hands.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
i agree. ryoko was going easy. especially in the zelda fights. He hardly used one of zeldas most hated and useful moves; nayru's love land cancels. not one teleport cancel. he actually tried using her dair multiple times. he definatley was sandbagging.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
DK and Yoshi are already unviable.
There was a time when people had infinite chain grabs on Lucas back in brawl. P:M elimated it. There are alot of stages where walls supplied infinite chaingrabs. They were banned. The list goes on.

I'd believe the P:M team would be strictly against making even a single matchup broken because of either the defender (lucas) or the attacker (ike/dk/ect against walls) and I think my reasons for believing so are crystal clear.

If sheiks downthrow is such a potent move that it can break matchups if it is pulled off then I see no reason to keep it just to please the begging sheik mains who want to keep using it. Wanting to keep using it doesn't overpower the people wanting to stop suffering it if you ask me.

What is different about it that can't be compared to the other moves in the history of chaingrabs?
If you ask me, it comes down to the P:M team to decide if the move is that powerful.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I wasn't aware that Brawl is Melee.

And Ice Climbers break every single matchup when they get a grab, and yes it is extremely comparable because Ice Climbers have a pretty easy time getting a grab but are only A-B tier with it. There's something fundamentally better about Sheik's design in general that makes her wreck other characters, not her chain grab.

+1 support for CG D-throw for public testing in Demo 2.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
I wasn't aware that Brawl is Melee...And Ice Climbers break every single matchup when they get a grab
"Brawl isn't melee"
So?
Explain to me what that means to Project M (and why it's so different than the games its modeled after.)

While you tell me that it doesn't count then explain why some stages are gone. Isn't it because of how unfair they make some matchups? We should do everything we can to make things fair while keeping advantages. If sheiks downthrow is in the way then so be it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There was a time when people had infinite chain grabs on Lucas back in brawl. P:M elimated it. There are alot of stages where walls supplied infinite chaingrabs. They were banned. The list goes on.

I'd believe the P:M team would be strictly against making even a single matchup broken because of either the defender (lucas) or the attacker (ike/dk/ect against walls) and I think my reasons for believing so are crystal clear.

If sheiks downthrow is such a potent move that it can break matchups if it is pulled off then I see no reason to keep it just to please the begging sheik mains who want to keep using it. Wanting to keep using it doesn't overpower the people wanting to stop suffering it if you ask me.

What is different about it that can't be compared to the other moves in the history of chaingrabs?
If you ask me, it comes down to the P:M team to decide if the move is that powerful.
Sheik's CG is not infinite, and it alone does not make any match-up unwinnable in Project M. The end.

Stages with walls are banned not because of infinites (Because none of them exist anymore; not even Fox's) but because walls have been deemed by approximately 143% of the community to be harmful to fun, competitive gameplay. And others are because of random aspects. (Falsely) pointing out double standards that the Project M Back Room isn't even responsible for (i.e. stagelists) isn't really going to get you anywhere.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
I'm fine with walls as long as they don't completly block left and right boundries like snakes level. Onett and even foursides walls are fun to play with.

Machiavelli.CF

Ivy of the West
NNID
Machiavelli.CF
3DS FC
3222-5675-4966
it alone does not make any match-up unwinnable in Project M. The end.
I said it makes it unfair. Don't twist my words, don't be that guy.
Stages with walls are banned not because of infinites (Because none of them exist anymore; not even Fox's) but because walls have been
I'm sorry sir, my problem lies with infinites not with walls.
deemed by approximately 143% of the community to be harmful to fun, competitive gameplay. And others are because of random aspects. (Falsely) pointing out double standards that the Project M Back Room isn't even responsible for (i.e. stagelists) isn't really going to get you anywhere.
Ignoring the magic number which I expect is a typo or just a joke.
I wasn't aware my goal was to point out double standards. I'm starting to think you're not twisting my words but more likely you just don't understand what I was getting at.

I'll put it in layman's terms... let the P:M Backroom decide if it gives an unfair advantage beyond just character differences. Let it be tested both ways.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You said "breaks matchups"....

And yes... we will decide... you do know that I am PMBR, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom