• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Hey guys watch out I found a super secret PMBR leak.

I believe it speaks for itself.

[collapse=Leak Inside]
[/collapse]

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Hey I just watched the latest update for the Melee documentary. The producer was asking for regular smashers to interview on the east coast. I was thinking maybe Jceaz or another member of that crew could do an interview and talk about the project and how you guys are trying to make another great game. Here is the link to the update video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3WUznrVL0o
That is pretty interesting. I don't interview well (if you remember that podcast from awhile back...) but maybe he could interview my whole crew or something. I'll look into it.

I would just like to take a moment to thank all the PM streamers. Most notably Jcaez and his crew, for thoroughly entertaining me for a couple of years now. (and PEEF for the awesome new ease of access)

I've been watching videos from last weekends stream for days now. Great variety of characters, and some really nice skillful matches from all around. (except **** ryokos peach)

Thanks guys, you make this wait bearable.
Thanks for hanging in there. We know it's taking a lot longer than everyone would like, but the final product will be worth it :reverse:

peach shouldn't be able to fight since she's always needing to get saved
You never played SMB 2 or SMRPG did you?

phurgawtin

Smash Apprentice
You never played SMB 2 or SMRPG did you?
actually, SMB2 was my favorite of the trilogy, but since the characters inherited their abilities from Doki Doki Panic, i figured it to be noncanon on how Princess Toadstool kicked so much ***.

but then again, with Peach floating in ssbm, i suppose her kicking *** would make sense if it were the same SMB 2 character, as noted by levitating abilities, instead of the wench that gets holed up in castles and plowed by King Koopa.

As far as SMRPG is concerned, Geno rocks.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It may have been based on Doki Doki Panic but SMB2 is definitely canon. It defined a lot of things for future Mario games (like Peach's float and Luigi's high jump) and introduced a lot of characters (Birdo, Shy Guy, Bob-omb, etc).

/silly argument

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I have to say that float is right about one thing: generation 3 was far and away the best expansion (both mechanically and aesthetically).

Gen1 and 5 are Both terrible, but i say Generation V beats Gen I because;
*it actually had a spread of types
*normal pairs with things other than flying
*flying as a standalone
*gen1 clearly had no inclination to balance moves across types.
*gen1 grandfathered the rest of the games to have nonsensical and unbalanced weak&res
*gen1 had the absolute worst pokemon name in history. NOTHING is worse than Mr Mime.
*or... you know naming a pokemon with an actual word: Electrode. That's not even a BAD pun.
*if the designers had any idea that they'd implement breeding, kangaskan was clearly trolling us all.
*the original design for poison implies the playtesters were infants with no concept of time.
*mega kick isn't a fighting move? Are kicks instead used for courtship in Japan?
*if EVs and IVs aren't the most tedium inducing things in the world...**** that system. To death. I will never forgive gen1 for that (but to be fair, gen2 had a chance to make it right but didn't. At least each subsequent generation apologized for it and gave us things like the macho brace.)

Seriously. Gen 1 is the redheaded stepchild of pokemon.
Any metagame imbalances that resulted from gen 5 are things I wouldn't know about. I never kept track of professional pokemon play after gen 4, so I can only talk about the pokemon themselves, not the implications.
If anything has anything to do with the triple-stat boosting moves, let me know because I am curious.

Gen2 gave us two types. Sure, they didn't actually DO anything yet, but the expansion from johto to kanto made this game a true sequel. Also, it gave us breeding.
But
Thanks to this game, I'm worried about ever swimming in the ocean. I can replicate the tentacool cry note for note thanks to the watery hell that was in this game.

Gen3 is god. I will never, Ever get tired of gen 3. I would **** it's **** so many times I'd have a **** shaped indentation in my now perfectly polished teeth.

Gen4 gave us attack and special attack for certain "type crosssovers" to be possible (hitmonchan cough). Unfortunately, this accelerated the homogenization of pokemon further; there is rapidly becoming nothing left to differentiate attack and special attack. Volt switch is a great example of the repercussions.
The world design is absolutely phenomenal though. And if U-turn is in fact in gen4, gen4 has my favorite move of all time.
Holy **** i just raged.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
GSC introduced breeding and egg moves, held items, special defense and special attack split, as well as two new types.

RSE introduced a new EV system, natures, and abilities

DPP introduced Special/Physical movesplit and didn't give Flareon the new FLARE Blitz move to abuse the split

BW[G] introduced NOTHING and still hasn't ****ing given Flareon ****ing flare blitz.

Dream World abilities or whatever the **** could have just as well been added as regular abilities for the Pokemon to get.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
GSC was my favorite, not for the Pokemon it introduced, but just how extensive it was. And the music kicked *** too.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I love how SMB2 introduced two things to Luigi and Peach - Luigi's "slidiness" and Peach's float and turnips - that carried over to Smash.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
BW[G] introduced NOTHING and still hasn't ****ing given Flareon ****ing flare blitz.

Dream World abilities or whatever the **** could have just as well been added as regular abilities for the Pokemon to get.
DW made it so they could give **** crazy-*** abilities that made no sense because they're thought up in dreams. They actually gave Pokemon opportunities to buff them and make previously *** Pokemon good. It's not huge at face value, but in the grand scheme of things its tremendous.

Case in point, it gave Politoed Drizzle and Ninetales Drought. From a competitive standpoint, that's the largest metagame shift that has ever happened in Pokemon. Each game has its own unique metagame to it thats all different, but there's always been standard Offense, Balanced, and (Gen II onwards) Stall. Gen V comes around and flips that on its head, making Pokemon from a battling standpoint a completely different game than it ever was before. Those two inclusions single-handedly make Gen V a very different game than it is. Hell, those two abilities alone make or break the justification to even use Dreamworld to begin with.

Oh, another Gen V change is one that people tend to not notice because you actually have to pay attention to notice it, but its important. Gen V completely overhauled the status system, changing nearly every major and minor status than can be inflicted by some degree in how they function. That's pretty big too.

Gen V brought ****. You just gotta actually take a look.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Doki Doki Panic did introduce Mario's backflip though.

You're right, Gen V did bring ****. And nothing but.

[COLLAPSE=The long list of things Bunni hates about generation V]Triple Battles
Rotation Battles
Battle Subway
A thoroughly nonsensical layout of the land, region, and landmarks
Emboar
Stoutland
Scafty
Scraggy
Smugleaf
Wotter
Pidove
Munna
Liepard
Gear
Patrat
Gigear
Gigigear
Conkeldurr
Excadrill
Air Balloon
Throw and Sock
Sandile
whatever the next two evolutions of it are called
Crustle
Garbagebag
Cinccino
Gothica line
Germ line
Ducklet
Swanna
Ice Cream mcgoo
Super size cone
double dip
Fungus
Among us
Jellyfish with moustache
Galvantula, a trap door spider, using webs and being electric type.
Ferrowseed
Ferrowthorn
Elektrik, the electric type pokemon
litwick
snowflake
Polar bear and cub
Tympole line
Durangitan
Trubish
gurdurrr
Rock and Roller
Zoobat
Szoobat
Blitzle
Tranquil
Frillish
Stunfishisk
Wargle
Wargle's preevolution
Mandibuzz and its preevolution
Afrobull
Durrant
Ant eater
Kami Trio
Genesect
12 of the 14 gym leaders/elite 4
Eelecktross
Configorisus
Audino
Unfezant
Pansage
Panpour
Musharna
Sammurott
Pokedex # 000
Sawsack
Chendeleur
Pansear
Simisage
Simipour
Alomoloalola not being a Luvdisc evolution
Fraxure
Deino
Zawaelious
Hydragon
Simisear
"USA Nova" region
Baseball players and douchebag footballers who apparently train these awful pokemon, along with most of the character classes
Helga and Hilbert as the main characters' canonical names
Team Preview
Absurdly unbalanced gameplay, possibly more so than Gen 1[/COLLAPSE]

That's just off the top of my head without really thinking much.

This is legit the only pokemon generation bad enough for me to not consider buying it at any point. Any amount of money spent would just be that amount of money wasted on a headache. I'd honestly rather buy a second copy of Brawl for $30 than Black or White for 5.

D

Deleted member

Gen V brought ****. You just gotta actually take a look.
gen 5 brought lots of ****. the only problem is, i don't want to play with any of it. and the power creep is such that you can't play without it.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Gen 5 among friends though... that **** can be hilarious.

Zoroark's illusion wore off!
Zoroark was actually a Zoroark!

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
kinklink posts too much. mario and luigi should make the plop sounds when they footstool someone...

btw with mushroomtopping someone, i mean footstooling, if you spam footstool button will it be as effective as if you just timed the footstool? has it ever been discussed to make footstooling more like if youre holding the footstool button, it will footstool at the earliest available possible frame?

Thunderhorse+

Smash Ace
Zoroark's illusion wore off!
Zoroark was actually a Zoroark!
I have no idea why this is much funnier than it should have been, but it is.

I tried to like competitive Gen V. I really did. But I got sick of weather wars quicker than I got sick of perma-sandstorm and LOLrock in previous gens.

I did like it's 1P much more than Gen 3 and 4 though...

/Poketalk

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I honestly forgot Triple Battles Existed. I hardly play them (or doubles, for that matter).

Trips pretty cool when the opportunity arises, tho.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Is there anyone in Nashville TN with PM...? If not, has anyone sent an application from nashville, or around nashville?

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Gen V single player was fun, which is all I personally care about since competitive pokemon has always been pretty broken.
Gen III is my favorite though, even though I mainly grew up with Gen I and II.
Also Smugleaf is amazing **** you kinklink.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The final evolution of it is, which is why I didn't list it in the list of things I hate. I can make a list of things I like and list of things that are okay, but it would be a lot smaller.

I personally loved GS/HGSS story the most of the games. Same for 1P game. I have well over 600 hours invested in SS at the moment.

Ivysaur dair is still stupid. Like Gen V.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
He's like 11 hours away from me lmao
Fuuuuuck... Damn, I'm gonna have to try and convince smashers around nashville to convert or something... I'm so sick of people with the melee is the only smash mindset. Thanks guys.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Melee IS the only smash.

-Kinda why these fine gentlemen are transforming brawl into melee ;)

Haha, but yeah, we know what you mean, Beorn4200. Alternatively, you could just wait a couple months or so and download the project:m demo2 :)

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Fuuuuuck... Damn, I'm gonna have to try and convince smashers around nashville to convert or something... I'm so sick of people with the melee is the only smash mindset. Thanks guys.
I've got an open mind to things not melee, but if its vbrawl don't count on me playing it for very long, that game gives me a headache.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
I've got an open mind to things not melee, but if its vbrawl don't count on me playing it for very long, that game gives me a headache.
Do you not live in Tennessee anymore Pickle? Pretty sure I met you at a smashfest in Alabama at zeros place a couple years ago... You came with KO kingpin.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Do you not live in Tennessee anymore Pickle? Pretty sure I met you at a smashfest in Alabama at zeros place a couple years ago... You came with KO kingpin.
Indeed sir good times, and I still live in Tennessee, westmoreland to be precise. I still hang out with KO every now and again, I actually was over there last weekend.

@Kink-Link5 - dude it has nothing to do with pride, I could be be playing with any character really or just watching other people play, in the end I always get headache for some reason.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Why is it that every time I check this thread someone is bashing gen v? It's pokemon. Can't anyone be nice with the subject?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom