• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I can understand some impatience. It's been about 2 years for me personally but I am glad when I see how things have gone. I admit have personally put PM into the duke nukem category where I'm not excited or looking forward to it as much as I am other things Mass Effect 3 for example. I could care less when it's release but when it does come out I will be among the first to download it and start mastering characters.

As for the theory of it catching hype when Demo2 comes out well....that depends on who's done by then. Still, there is an overall feeling in the melee community at that the future is uncertain. After Apex 2 there is seemingly no more big tournaments now. Pound tournaments are over with and Apex will likely be discontinued now Genesis 3 is a possibility but overall the big tournaments seem to be going away. So what does this mean for the future of melee?

It could mean Project Melee. Now could be the time to slide in and really pull the melee community into this project in a big way. However, It could also mean a slow but certain death for both. Melee having lived a full life but will die on an international level, followed by a national level, followed by a regional level, Finally meeting its end when locals cease. With that end so goes Project Melee having failed to strike while the iron was hot. What will it be? Only time will tell. In the mean time shut the **** up and let them do their goddamn work mother****ers!

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Is this project realistically going to be done in the next few months? or ever? I feel that you are going to lose your fan base as people forget about it, or plainly just don't care about it anymore. I'm slowly slipping into those categories.
Even if this hypothetically did happen, 99% of them would come right back when it did eventually come out.

But regardless, I don't think we really need to worry about that. People without access to the game who still want to learn more can read this thread, and the upcoming demo WILL grab the attention of people who have forgotten about it, as well as new people.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
So is it possible to simply delete the water on Pirate Ship. As in not delete it visually, but the actual water/swimming crap so you just fall through it?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Yes. You'd have to use 2 models. 1 model of the water moved way down, because there is a water bone that controls the level of the water, and another duplicate model in its place. That way it looks like normal but you cant swim in the water. And no, you can't simply move the water bone down, as it moves the entire model.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
O I see, I was just thinking of ways to possibly make Pirate Ship -semi legal. There is a stage on BV that completely freezes the stage so the bombs, KORL, Tornado and rock don't appear. I was just wondering if there was a way to get rid of the water on top of that, which would make the stage fine to me.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Wouldn't using a FD .rel fix it just fine for a frozen version? I've never bothered checking but I'd assume it would.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
I'm bringing it to a monthly tournament in Washington called Gameclucks this next Saturday.

daze - You and your buddies should bring a TV or something. We're always low on those. I would, but my only CRT in the house is 32" and like 150 pounds.
Damn, that's one hell of a drive, I don't think I can manage that, too bad cause I have like 3 or 4 tvs lying around between my mom and dads house

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Thx thats good knowledge to know, I'm better at working on stages then PSA/character mods. I might alter that stage for myself then, but I'm working on other stages ATM, but knowing how water sorta works helps.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
That could work too.

but back to main sorta question is Pirate Ship going to try and be altered for P:M or is seen as a lost cause, better replaced type thing.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
New guy here. I've been playing Melee for years, and after weeks of reading through this project, I figured it was time to join. :]

A couple pages ago, Peach's Castle 64 was brought up as a possible stage. I'd really like to see it come back in Project M. It's currently the only counterpick in SSB64, so it can be counted on as a reliable legal stage without many changes.

Termina: Great Bay would also be cool. But I don't think it should be modified to become tournament legal. The pool of legal stages is already huge, and Great Bay, alongside Fourside and Saffron City, could be added as a nostalgic stage, rather than a competitive stage.

Kix

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't mind Termina being edited to make it legal. For instance, it would be interesting to possibly remove the left floating platform and make the ceiling of the center platform on that you can me knocked through (although it might look odd, I'd just assume it'd make the stage more conducive to competitive play but I could be wrong).

Also is Snake really going to stick with that knife attack instead of the old fsmash? What's the reasoning behind it right now again?

DVDV28

Smash Apprentice
Just a quick question, how are you guys going to deal with two high tiers (Sheik and Zelda) being interchangeable in terms of tournaments? It was never a problem before since Zelda was never any good, but now that Zelda's good too, their combined efforts could wreck havoc on even more matchups.

Rikana

Smash Champion
New guy here. I've been playing Melee for years, and after weeks of reading through this project, I figured it was time to join. :]

A couple pages ago, Peach's Castle 64 was brought up as a possible stage. I'd really like to see it come back in Project M. It's currently the only counterpick in SSB64, so it can be counted on as a reliable legal stage without many changes.

Termina: Great Bay would also be cool. But I don't think it should be modified to become tournament legal. The pool of legal stages is already huge, and Great Bay, alongside Fourside and Saffron City, could be added as a nostalgic stage, rather than a competitive stage.
Where in Canada are you from?

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Just a quick question, how are you guys going to deal with two high tiers (Sheik and Zelda) being interchangeable in terms of tournaments? It was never a problem before since Zelda was never any good, but now that Zelda's good too, their combined efforts could wreck havoc on even more matchups.
The fact that those characters play completely differently and have different movesets and physics doesn't mean their matchups are that much different. You can link any two random characters on the fly with a button press and it wouldn't exactly break the balance of the game simply because they're limited to one character's traits at a time.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Matchup Resistance is a very real thing and it wouldn't be wise to write it off.

Two characters that are completely different don't HAVE to have different matchups, but only in the rare occurance that they have all the same matchups but for different reasons (although I should stress how incredibly unlikely it is that two character who are completely different would have the same matchups unless they were both very unbalanced)

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
Realize that we're talking about Sheik in Melee, a notoriously dominant character with very few bad matchups, with Zelda covering the rest of her bases.

Find the number of unfavorable matchups Sheik may have on one hand.
See if Zelda could do any better in those matchups.

The fact that Sheik herself is still so very good doesn't leave many characters for Zelda to upskirt, except for the one possibility of Ice Climbers if they ever begin working properly. If you can beat a good Sheik, you can most assuredly beat their equivalent Zelda if you spent any time learning how to fight the character.

jalued

Smash Lord
Realize that we're talking about Sheik in Melee, a notoriously dominant character with very few bad matchups, with Zelda covering the rest of her bases.

Find the number of unfavorable matchups Sheik may have on one hand.
See if Zelda could do any better in those matchups.

The fact that Sheik herself is still so very good doesn't leave many characters for Zelda to upskirt, except for the one possibility of Ice Climbers if they ever begin working properly. If you can beat a good Sheik, you can most assuredly beat their equivalent Zelda if you spent any time learning how to fight the character.
true, but it still forces the momentum of the game to change, which could be a deciding factor for the zelda/sheik player winning

Wavebuster

Smash Journeyman
true, but it still forces the momentum of the game to change, which could be a deciding factor for the zelda/sheik player winning
Or it could blow up in your face. Just because you take a gambit doesn't mean it will work in your favor. Basic fighter theory there.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
People also need to remember how punishable transforming is, with Brawl load times.

Also considering PMBR changed Zelda/Sheik to be true to their ORIGINAL CHARACTER DESIGN INTENT, a sort of master of two styles sort of character, I'd say people shouldn't be complaining.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I personally think both moves are fine, though that sounds nice for DAir. Maybe reduce UAirs damage a little bit.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Anyway let's talk about dedede's uair and dair. I personally feel that uair should be a completely new move and that dair should be advantageous or neutral on block when SHFFL'd.
One could always SHFFL Fair instead. With DDD's current characteristics, physics and tools (his grab range in particular), he doesn't really need another option to **** shields with.

I could stand an animation change for Uair, though. A spinning hammer shouldn't be killing vertically, imo.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
DDD's dair is one of his best moves. If you hit a shield with the entirety of the move, it will probably shieldpoke. It also combos really well and reaches far, so it's good for edgeguarding and descending. As 9K notes, if you're in situation where you can grab a shield, that's likely a better option. Not always, though.

Uair is situational. It's nice in that reaches really far and can combo fastfallers, but its hitbox is fairly narrow. I prefer to pressure people above me with fair whenever that's an option.

iLink

Smash Champion
Rumble falls in project m is pretty much the same as it was in brawl+.

:phone:
I didnt say anything about rumble falls being different.

I was saying that at one point, there was a stage added with the same layout except smaller and flat.

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom