• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

9Kplus1

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure that sounded just as homosexual as he wanted it to ._.
But anyway, if I was a chick, I wouldn't want to transform into a dude. Why? Dudes have balls. Balls can be kicked. It hurts. If I were her, I'd much rather go the Ken doll route and have no genitals what so ever. All they do is complicate things.
As much as I'd love to pick apart this post, it would be much better if we got back on topic, preferably without the pedantic arguments.

Back on the topic of Homolimar, I'm in agreement with ph00tbag's ideas (though, they have been around for a while). Giving Olimar much more flexibility with and control over his Pikmin would result in a very interesting character with a potentially deep metagame.

9K+1 are you a back room member now?
I'm a Project: H back room member, if that's what you meant.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
keep all of olis brawl switch parameters. keep down bs armor as is. let him have 6 pikmin, 4 pikmin limit is death to him. make air neutral b switch one pikmin and make ground neutral b switch one pikmin, when he's at his pikmin limit. make him flash the color of the next available pikmin. the 5 pikmin colors should fit well in these three categories: damage, KO, and combo pikmin. alter minor details as you see fit. but one pikmin needs to be well rounded in the three categories, i recomend blue. make his ftilt a decent kill move.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
keep all of olis brawl switch parameters. keep down bs armor as is. let him have 6 pikmin, 4 pikmin limit is death to him. make air neutral b switch one pikmin and make ground neutral b switch one pikmin, when he's at his pikmin limit. make him flash the color of the next available pikmin. the 5 pikmin colors should fit well in these three categories: damage, KO, and combo pikmin. alter minor details as you see fit. but one pikmin needs to be well rounded in the three categories, i recomend blue. make his ftilt a decent kill move.
If nB switches pikmin, how is he going to pluck a pikmin?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
"Randomly"?

Peach can pull turnips with varying properties from her cooch. Those weren't assigned randomly?
I think he meant to say "arbitrarily", as in, taking different attack properties and assigning them arbitrarily to the different Pikmin colors without much logic to associate them.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
well at least let him have 5 so it'd be possible to have one of each pikmin.
I disagree with this sentiment under the notion that his pikmin are going to be more varied. Giving him the ability to have all pikmin at his disposal for use at once takes away any strategy associated with replacing pikmin and only further strengthens his ability to gay it up with side-B.

3 pikmin, less homogonised pikmin, and a better overall character design less reliant on HAVING a bunch of Pikmin fit together nicely. Giving him too many Pikmin can only really be balanced in two ways- either make him terrible with few Pikmin, or make the Pikmin terrible overall to compensate his ability to have so many of them. Brawl kind of did both and the result is Campy McSchrooginmayer.

I am willing to lose canonacity in favour of a better designed character no matter the case. Olimar could be restricted to only one Pikmin, or summon Pikmin while attacking and then they die, and I would be fine with it as long as it was handled properly.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
wouldn't having fewer pikmin make him want to run away more since geting a pikmin killed will make you have to retreat and regroup. More pikmin mean more time in the fray to me.

Are his pikmin still able to be killed while they are in mid smash attack or air attack? if they are then an aggresive opponent will trample his three pikmin and gimp him all day even if he does get some non pikmin dependent recovery or even worse a pikmin killing footstool jump.
edit:
I disagree with this sentiment under the notion that his pikmin are going to be more varied. Giving him the ability to have all pikmin at his disposal for use at once takes away any strategy associated with replacing pikmin and only further strengthens his ability to gay it up with side-B.
haveing all ur pikmin doesn't take away strategy. if anything it makes you micro manage more. I do agree that if ur missing a tool you have to work around not having it but why not let him have the slim posibility of a complete tool kit. how often and how long do you think he can keep his full set any way. IMO the side b spam issue was fixed with the slower pluck speed. you cant just haphazardly throw pikmin away. plus now they have the pikmin growth thing going so you'd want to use less side b since thats basically sending them to their death.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
Just got a Classic Controller pro. Tested it out with Project M.

Took a bit to get used to, but

GCN is still better, but still. You're basically playing with a PS3 controller.

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was honestly worried about how I was gonna play the smash WiiU game, but it looks like this works.

I just wish there was a use for the ZL button besides "other grab". If a wavedash button existed I would so map it there.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
...Why am I the ONLY person who thought of the possibility that Nintendo will just introduce a new traditional style/classic controller specifically for the Wii U? Realistically, would Nintendo really assume people would play EVERY game with that tablet? A dedicated traditional-style controller is very likely since GameCube games are pretty much confirmed for Wii U download. What I mean to say is that it's unlikely that Nintendo would make the old Wii's CCP the only choice of good Smash 4 control (even though the Wii U IS compatible with old Wii stuff, I know.)

CSDragon

Smash Journeyman
...Why am I the ONLY person who thought of the possibility that Nintendo will just introduce a new traditional style/classic controller specifically for the Wii U? Realistically, would Nintendo really assume people would play EVERY game with that tablet? A dedicated traditional-style controller is very likely since GameCube games are pretty much confirmed for Wii U download.
Because the WiiU uses 1 WiiU controller and 4 Wii controllers in its current build.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
It's totally possible that Nintendo will make a dedicated traditional-style controller for the WiiU. Its just that from what we've seen, you can only use one tablet and 4 wiimotes, so we're to assume the worst possible outcome in terms of controller usage for sm4sh.

Kinda like how everyone assumes the worst possible outcome for the gameplay mechanics of sm4sh because of the disappointment brawl gave us :p

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Make sure none of you make the mistake of advertising your Project:M stream through the livestream editor link. It will probably result in the removal of your privileges.

I can no longer advertise my stream at all on Smashboards right now because I streamed Project:M. I appealed the decision because I was never told I was not allowed to anymore, and I was never warned about doing it. I was only told that it might not be allowed in the future for the same reasons that the mod workshop cannot be on the front page. It is working through Forum Support. Regardless, make sure you guys don't make the same mistake I did.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I think it's because it is a mod and MLG doesn't support modding because of possible copyright things.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
That is truly horrible to learn PEEF. So your saying we can't advertise P:M prominently in our own community? The one upcoming smash game that is actually competitive? Bullcrap.

MLG sucks and their tournaments will always be wannabe legitimate. Will this statement get me banned now from their little dictatorship? :mad:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
wouldn't having fewer pikmin make him want to run away more since geting a pikmin killed will make you have to retreat and regroup. More pikmin mean more time in the fray to me.

Are his pikmin still able to be killed while they are in mid smash attack or air attack? if they are then an aggresive opponent will trample his three pikmin and gimp him all day even if he does get some non pikmin dependent recovery or even worse a pikmin killing footstool jump.
Again, you're making assumptions based on how Olimar plays in Brawl.

edit:

haveing all ur pikmin doesn't take away strategy. if anything it makes you micro manage more. I do agree that if ur missing a tool you have to work around not having it but why not let him have the slim posibility of a complete tool kit. how often and how long do you think he can keep his full set any way. IMO the side b spam issue was fixed with the slower pluck speed. you cant just haphazardly throw pikmin away. plus now they have the pikmin growth thing going so you'd want to use less side b since thats basically sending them to their death.

There's a dissonance between the "strategy" of "micro management" and strategically playing a legitimate character.

Honestly, if Olimar plays anything like he does in Brawl, all he's going to be is annoying as ****.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Nintendo has never come out against mods. They try to remove HBC in their Wii system updates, but that's probably more about combating piracy than mods.

It's **** like the inevitable successor of SOPA that scares companies like MLG.

:phone:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
yo shadic, how many set-ups with project m are gonna be at gameclucks? just wondering :p
One. Maybe I'll bring a second SD card... That might be a pain to keep track of, though.

...Actually there's another Wii laying around the house. Perhaps I could use that. Gameclucks doesn't really have that many extra setups sitting around though. I always have to steal a Brawl setup and go from there. (And last time GC only had three Brawl setups at the beginning.)

jalued

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/announcement.php?f=309&a=276

No where on this does it say anything about modded games. I don't understand why PM is not allowed to be streamed, because it is not breaking any laws.

1) The mod is free so does not break any current copyright laws
2) You require a Wii + a brawl disk to run, which means Nintendo makes money from the project
3) You are not required to hack your wii with HBC to run the game
4) It does not include any new or copyrighted characters (if it included Mikey Mouse we would have a problem)
5) The project is being done in a proffessional manner and does not disrespect the work done by Nintendo.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
Sliding away from trolling... SS is the worst Zelda title to date.

Come @ me

SS has some pretty bad controls and the worst overworld in any Zelda. I don't know if its worse than PH, but it's definitely the worst console Zelda title.
Gotta agree here, beat SS last month, never gonna play it again, Fi being captain obvious and not being able to skip text made me want to punch holes in my wall, the overworld sucked, the graphics were worse than Wind Waker, the stroy was boring and had a big lull from the 2nd or 3rd dungeon to the final parts of the game, I could go on

All the people who were playing the game at my house stopped at the 2nd dungeon, one stopped half way through, reason being boredom, the game was OK but a Zelda game should be amazing, there was no drive to complete it

I don't see any love for Twilight Princess...

For me, my favorites go

Majora's Mask
Twilight Princess
Ocarina of Time
A Link to the Past
Link's Awakening

And that's it, never played any other Zelda games besides Wind Waker and Skyward Sack but I didn't really enjoy those

One. Maybe I'll bring a second SD card... That might be a pain to keep track of, though.

...Actually there's another Wii laying around the house. Perhaps I could use that. Gameclucks doesn't really have that many extra setups sitting around though. I always have to steal a Brawl setup and go from there. (And last time GC only had three Brawl setups at the beginning.)
Is there a tournament with P:M going on somewhere?

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
Again, you're making assumptions based on how Olimar plays in Brawl.

Honestly, if Olimar plays anything like he does in Brawl, all he's going to be is annoying as ****.
I'm looking at it from what can possibly be done with the character. Olimar is still dependent on his pikmin in every logical scenario of his design. and it just makes more sense to say if you have more pikmin you are safer and more able to fight. the standard melee physics like wave dashing and L canceling will help him alot but unless his pikmin just become uber on hit or actually get some prority over things even as weak as a jab then my previous point is still valid. yes, even jabs still beat fsmashing pikmin in P:M. imagine what a flying knee would do.

unless they completly change olis design (like give him more non pikmin attacks) he's going to play like brawl oli but with more tech skill and less surviveability

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion

No where on this does it say anything about modded games. I don't understand why PM is not allowed to be streamed, because it is not breaking any laws.

2) You require a Wii + a brawl disk to run, which means Nintendo makes money from the project
4) It does not include any new or copyrighted characters (if it included Mikey Mouse we would have a problem)
5) The project is being done in a proffessional manner and does not disrespect the work done by Nintendo.
This is what I have a problem with. MLG is enforcing rules they just made up without telling people. Without stream advertising how do you get the hype out for this amazing game?

And what happens when MLG decides they don't like P:M and just ban this thread and discussions of it? It's a real slippery slope into oblivion.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889

Actually its even against the law to do this I know for a fact that if you don't have the rights from the company such as uploading vid to youtube or even a anime drawing if you don't meet the right requirements and have the rights from certain creators you can go to jail for infringement or even be sued and also disregarding the copy right laws. It doesn't really matter if its free or not. It doesn't matter if it disrespects the work of Nintendo or not. If Nintendo reps ever did catch wind of this they might actually ask the entire team to stop work on it. I seen it happen with the Chrono Resurrection project along time ago.

It isn't me saying it its just basics government and copy right rules.

jalued

Smash Lord
Actually its even against the law to do this I know for a fact that if you don't have the rights from the company such as uploading vid to youtube or even a anime drawing if you don't meet the right requirements and have the rights from certain creators you can go to jail for infringement or even be sued and also disregarding the copy right laws. It doesn't really matter if its free or not. It doesn't matter if it disrespects the work of Nintendo or not. If Nintendo reps ever did catch wind of this they might actually ask the entire team to stop work on it. I seen it happen with the Chrono Resurrection project along time ago.

you could say that about anything though... I made a very small animation of cartman (it was pretty much a picture of him drawn on a computer that rotates slightly) that i posted on youtube because i was happy with my work. Does that mean that i am breaking copyright laws?

Someone could see that animation and think: "oh yeah i havnt watched southpark in a while... i think i'll go watch it now on tv". I just helped the company to get viewers and apparently i'm in the wrong.
All that PM is doing is making people buy a wii and brawl. Just becasue it is out of the companies control shouldnt make it illigal, they should embrace these fans that are giving them free advertising and increased market sales

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
It's illegal because putting up videos of material owned by someone else in general is technically illegal, hence the occasional YouTube video taken down by some copyright claimer. Of course this also leads to hypocrisy from MLG since Smash tournaments aren't supported by Nintendo (Street Fighter tournaments are probably supported by Capcom, so they're okay); putting up Vanilla Brawl on streams is just as "illegal" as putting up Project:M streams. Still, Nintendo doesn't care about their stuff going online AT ALL, seeing that they allowed the Mother 3 translation and "Do a Barrel Roll" to live on the internet. It's true; Project:M WILL get people to buy Wiis. (Unfortunately the new Wii sucks.)

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar

Chrono Resurrection is illegal because they recreated a copyrighted game. Project M is a mod. Mods are not illegal (yet). Point is it's not the same thing.

Also, use punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom