• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
If they give specials other than neutral, then I want to see kirby with Fox shine.

Do it.

Do it.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
That's something I wanted for a long time since my early smash days, kirby having the ability to choose what power to take from someone. He could inhale them, then input B, 8B,2B, or 4B/6B, and take the corresponding special to replace his B.

But I heard something like that was impossible to code or too much work.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Project M.

Converting the smash community to standard fighter notation 1 post at a time.

I approve.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Project M.

Converting the smash community to standard fighter notation 1 post at a time.

I approve.
Lol actually I play standard fighting games more than smash. Since I seen you guys using notations in here, I figured I'd start saying them too since it's in my comfort zone.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I play smash more than fighting games. When I found out about notations, my immediate reaction was why the hell don't we use them?

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
It's because they aren't all that necessary for smash. Still, when you understand it, it makes inputs easier to comprehend and communicate with others.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
^ what he said. you don't do 236b or 64123641236a in smash. you really don't even do 3 or 1 as inputs that often, either, though it would be simpler to type that instead of "up angled forward tilt". for the most part, it's just f/u/d-smash/tilt/b

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I play both, TFG's a bit more recently. Notation isn't bad honestly. How would you do aerials?

Would it be something like (for Falco's shine-dair-Utilt for instance): 2S(whatever notation for jump canceling if needed)->J2A->Land->8A?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
The easiest input for Dedede's buffer pivot infinite is 1213g

So much easier then saying "start at down left, hit down, down left, quarter circle forward then grab".

PEEF!

Smash Hero
The notation thing is completely unneeded for smash. It shouldn't be anyones "comfort zone" to see the notation for utilt and say "ahhhh, yes, now I know how it works!"

-__- lets stop now.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I agree that it is uneccessary. I have been playing smash bros for 12 years, don't need special notation.

The other thing is in traditional fighters there are standard sequences that you use on a regular basis. Whereas in smash, it changes depending on DI and other things of course. something standard like short hop fast fall is shffl for example. or pillar. or waveshine. or chain grab.
those things don't always have the same inputs, but we all know what they are.

the few examples that you are probably thinking about could simply be given a name and explained without that kind of terminology I'm sure.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
It shouldn't be anyones "comfort zone" to see the notation for utilt and say "ahhhh, yes, now I know how it works!"
Really...? It's just musing. Some people can understand things a certain way if it's related to another subject they already know.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I agree that it is uneccessary. I have been playing smash bros for 12 years, don't need special notation.

The other thing is in traditional fighters there are standard sequences that you use on a regular basis. Whereas in smash, it changes depending on DI and other things of course. something standard like short hop fast fall is shffl for example. or pillar. or waveshine. or chain grab.
those things don't always have the same inputs, but we all know what they are.

the few examples that you are probably thinking about could simply be given a name and explained without that kind of terminology I'm sure.
The easiest input for Dedede's buffer pivot infinite is 1213g

So much easier then saying "start at down left, hit down, down left, quarter circle forward then grab".

Apply that logic to this post and I'll be done.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
looool @ smash notation.

I'm super tempted to switch to those. Num notation is master race

:phone:
Lol I usually do that mentally when it comes learning inputs in fighting games that don't use number notation, as in capcom games. It's my personal way of learning. But at the same time, it's probably not an easy thing to transition into the smash world as a whole because of several reasons. Nor do I think it's a good idea.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Apply that logic to this post and I'll be done.
First of all, I gotta say that, to be quite honest, that a grab infinit like that sounds dumb to me and should be removed from P:M in my opinion. I'm pretty sure with Melee DI you could affect that somehow so it wasn't an infinite, or at least you would have to switch it up a bit. (I don't play brawl though, so I dont really know for sure sorry)

Second, it would take as much time to explain to someone how the terminology works as it would to explain how to do it without it. Do you have any other examples? If you already know it, fine, but I don't want to learn something just so I can know how to do a couple things from looking at numbers instead of a sentence.

Third, Brawl doesn't count :troll: but seriously, I can understand there are a few instances where it could help, but is it really necessary?

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Second, it would take as much time to explain to someone how the terminology works as it would to explain how to do it without it. Do you have any other examples? If you already know it, fine, but I don't want to learn something just so I can know how to do a couple things from looking at numbers instead of a sentence.
It's actually pretty easy. Look at your number pad on your keyboard while holding your stick, analog, whatever applies.

Then the understanding flow.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Lol I usually do that mentally when it comes learning inputs in fighting games that don't use number notation, as in capcom games. It's my personal way of learning. But at the same time, it's probably not an easy thing to transition into the smash world as a whole because of several reasons. Nor do I think it's a good idea.
Buts its hilarious to see people finding it nessessary to tell me to stop using num notation like I'm breaking the rules and how unesssessary it is!

Like lol really?

People who do that need to lighten up rofl.

Stevo

Smash Champion
oh, maybe my post made the wrong impression.
I don't really care if people want to use that way, just I don't think it is really necessary.

and I guess looking at your numpad is pretty easy, i didn't kow that was how it worked. Writing 1 sentence to explain something that is abnormally complicated still seems fine to me anyway, though.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Moving on.

What are ya'lls opinion on who the lamest and/or most legit characters are?

Fixed.

Sheik for lamest. Puff I can respect. But not Sheik.

Most legit is Ganondorf. Like no ****ing contest, you guys did a bangup job and I think it's safe to say if he could be ported into Melee he'd be solidly high-tier. He is ****ing scary.

I'm actually heavily considering making him my main.

Ecks

Smash Lord
gay = broken/cheap or bad?

Lots of characters are looking legit right now. Ness, Charizard, Zelda, Lucario, Zamus, Ganon, Link, Sword-Ganon :troll: etc. lol

Oh and Lucas' bair.

MaxThunder

PM Support
It's actually pretty easy. Look at your number pad on your keyboard while holding your stick, analog, whatever applies.

Then the understanding flow.
so that's how it works... that's pretty neat...

... though i'd have to picture a number pad probably for every single number... ... mah brain be too stupeed...

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Buts its hilarious to see people finding it nessessary to tell me to stop using num notation like I'm breaking the rules and how unesssessary it is!

Like lol really?

People who do that need to lighten up rofl.

It is confusing and unneeded.

Its like trying to talk about smash purely in pig latin for absolutely no reason other than a couple people the sound of it when they read it quietly to themselves.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
the start of the number pad notation conversation was only intended for lucario since he is the "traditional" fighter of smash now. If he had differen't ftilts (ftilit up, ftilt down)attacks thats when he would have needed the notation for short hand since some of his moves would be somewhat like street fighter strings. but as long as whatever you trying to say is understood it doesn't matter how you notate it.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
People are probably going to think Pit is gay, because they always do.

MK will be a bit homosexual no matter how he plays. I'm sure a lot of people will complain about Zelda and maybe DK too.

Num notation for life. **** the haters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom