• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Did't you guys already do that to Pokemon Trainer? Not that I really care all that much since gameplay > canon always.
PT was temporarily axed so his core doesnt even exist atm. lol.

I kind of see the idea of using the same pikmin over and over as a move towards a more static Olimar, though. Although, there is the fact that using a pikmin is usually a good way to get it killed, so it'd be less static than homogenizing the line and forcing Olimar to play the same way no matter what pikmin was out.

If you restricted it to just normals, I can see it working. Toss would kind of require that the line rotate when it's used. Also, how would dsmash work?
Oli being able to use the same pikmin > Every pikmin attack being random and inconsistent > pikmin being homogenized.

like no matter how you slice it with, "oli mains manipulating their pikmin and paying attention to their line", that much inconsistantly is just poor design lol

and for dsmash?

let it cycle just one. V:

DVDV28

Smash Apprentice
Swimming pikmin are already in. I just didn't see the point in taking that feature out.

Regarding the white pikmin, it was taking up the concept implemented within Brawl. The white one centred around doing the most damage when attached. Since damage output is less important, he needs something else to make him good (not just unique).

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
This probably doesn't matter, but are you guys able to code the CPUs so they learn from human players? or is it already in effect?

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Toon Link question, do his back and forward throws keep their Brawl animation or have they been reverted to Melee Young Link?

Second question, would it possible to give his fire arrows more of a Wind Waker fire effect like his bombs rather than the current standard fire effect?

humble

Smash Ace
So just gonna throw this out there, see what you guys think. Since the idea of footstooling pikmin has been fairly well received and popular, but people agree that with the new tether he should keep his chain up-b, I thought of an alternative; what if he was a multi jump character, like Jigglypuff, Metaknight, etc, where his airjumps had him footstooling his pikmin to jump? It'd make him more maneuverable, unique, introduce an interesting mechanic that further challenges and aids Oli mains in controlling their line. What do you guys think?

:phone:

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
So just gonna throw this out there, see what you guys think. Since the idea of footstooling pikmin has been fairly well received and popular, but people agree that with the new tether he should keep his chain up-b, I thought of an alternative; what if he was a multi jump character, like Jigglypuff, Metaknight, etc, where his airjumps had him footstooling his pikmin to jump? It'd make him more maneuverable, unique, introduce an interesting mechanic that further challenges and aids Oli mains in controlling their line. What do you guys think?

:phone:
Ah footstooling. Why is it techable now? It should be left to untechable since footstooling in P:M is pretty uncommon seeing as how you gotta press up taunt and jump at the same time to perform it...the way I see is "High Risk-High Reward" for those gutsy enough to try it. Then can lead to some good set ups and combos.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I kind of like the idea of Olimar being unable to footstool off other characters, but being able to footstool his pikmin, killing them in the process. That's also a nifty idea.

Another idea is to make it so pluck canceling can be done no matter how many pikmin there are in the line.

As far as what I'd like to see Olimar's pikmin used for:

White: All it's good for is tossing, no matter where you are. First hit on latch is absurd damage, but every other move barely does knockback, and does horrible damage. Pummel also does really high dps, but throwing doesn't really get you much. Lowest durability.

Red: The dps pikmin. Highest damage out of all pikmin on every move except for latch, where it is a distant second to white. Average kbg and slightly below average range. Most attacks pop opponents upward for starting and maintaining combos. This pikmin shouldn't really be killing. Dair and uair are drills, and last for most of a short hop. Second lowest durability.

Yellow: The zoning pikmin. By far the best range of all the pikmin, on all moves, but kbg and damage aren't so great. Knockback angle tends to be 45 degrees or below on most moves. Dair does not spike. Throws are a lot like Marth's, and can lead to good tech chase and combo options, though. Medium durability.

Blue: The flashy pikmin. Average range, and below average damage and knockback in most cases, but the moves have neat properties for cool tricks. Usmash and uair are meteors on grounded. Dsmash, fsmash and bair all have 0 degree knockback. Fair has -45 degree knockback. Dair is a meteor. This pikmin is good for gimps or for flashy combo starters. Throws are a mixed bag. Dthrow is forced grounding move. Second highest durability.

Purple: Ridiculous knockback. Worst range. Decent damage. Tossed purples still just do knockback rather than latching. Highest durability.

I like the idea of tilts and aerials using the same pikmin, but toss, smashes, and grab cycle the line.
Olimar's tilts don't use pikmin, so they wouldn't rotate the line anyway.

But I like the idea. I think if nothing else, it's a really good compromise.

Oli being able to use the same pikmin > Every pikmin attack being random and inconsistent > pikmin being homogenized.

like no matter how you slice it with, "oli mains manipulating their pikmin and paying attention to their line", that much inconsistantly is just poor design lol

and for dsmash?

let it cycle just one. V:
Whenever it comes to randomness, a lot of players have the "turnip threshold," whereby if a move is more random, and more difficult to adapt to, than Peach's turnips, then it is unacceptable randomness, and therefore bad design. I personally go by the Zappa threshold.

With Zappa, using one move literally gives you a random character out of a set of three possibilities: The long-ranged projectile zoning character who curses you with random attacking bananas if he hits you, the mid-ranged poking character, or the holy **** hyper aggressive infinite unblockable reset Eddie wannabe character. There's absolutely no indicator what kind of playstyle will need to be adopted until the summon is visible, and it drastically affects the way both players will approach the match. But the thing is, there's a brief split second where both the Zappa player and his/her opponent can see the summon on the screen and say, "okay, this is how I need to play."

Olimar as I've laid him out doesn't even come close to the Zappa threshold. Unless Olimar is respawning, he's usually not plucking close enough for the opponent to have no time to observe the pikmin coming out and then adapt. Not to mention even if they're close, pluck canceling (the only way to use a pikmin before your opponent can react to the type) carries with it a certain risk for Olimar if he's not able to confirm what pikmin he's getting, since if he pulls a purple and isn't spaced right, then he just gets punished. Basically, even though the pikmin that's about to be used drastically affects gameplay, it's something both players can observe and adapt to. It ultimately deepens the gameplay, because there's 7^6 possible lines that can appear, so it's super unlikely that a player will encounter all of them in their gameplay.

I do like that being able to use a given pikmin repeatedly can open up certain pikmin for more use in their specialized areas. I just think that it takes away from the importance of farming and overall mindfulness in regards to one's line. I do think humble's suggestion is a good compromise, though, with the concession that dsmash only rotates one pikmin. :)

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I see one of you guys DO know how to wield a knife lol.

Vig used quick attack
Of course I know how to use a knife. I went to high school.

Jokes aside, I had to exagerate the movements to make them more visible on screen as Jiang argued. It looks better than I had anticipated. It is actually MGS3 knife attack, exagerated for the purpose of a smash attack.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Yeah. We just throw flowers at each other and hope it dies down after a while.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Lol, I actually got involved in fights involving knives against my will. Long story short, French guy in English school. But that's a story for another place, XD.

But yeah, I like the MGS series, so I'm hoping we can make Snake even more interesting.

Edit: Jiang did say I used used my arse a lot. It is very important to animate the arse, friends.

drsusredfish

Smash Ace
from the looks of the animation snake could have a fsmash like link except he has 3 attacks instead of 2. And of course snake could choose to do all three hits or just one or two. Interesting. the last strike could be be the death hit and the first two can be the weak KB so they have a chance to combo. Heck even add the stun knife to the first strike to almost garuntee the 3rd hit connects, if opponent doesn't DI right. I like this idea since a single strong moderatley quick stab for snake may be too good considering how good ftilt is. plus multy slice plays into his CQC background.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I'd rather see it as a two step with slash 1/2 being one step.

Well, back grip is mostly used for a defensive stance. You would generally do that with one if you dual wield. The reason Snake holds it like this in his games is because he is:

1) Carrying a gun and that grip allows him great stability for both weapons.
2) Using in conjunction with martial arts.

You wouldn't really hold a single knife backhand unless you're pretty much certain you can actually block an attack with your hand. You lose power but gain the ability to use your elbows more effectively as well as use your fist instead of using your blade. You can also move your fingers more freely and you can grasp small objects. It is also much harder to disarm someone going back grip.

Considering I use the back of my fist and the elbow and knees in actual combat, I can see why Snake would do that. Snake technically doesn't kill unless he has to. He also needs to quickly shift between weapons, and might need to hold a knife while steadying his gun's aim.

For the normal grip, you get more power and slightly more range, you're more likely to kill if you hit, but you are easy to disarm and lose the use of a hand. it is also easier to turn the knife against you, as someone can redirect your arm and pretty much make you stab yourself. If someone ever tries to stab you, show your profile, preferably your right side forward (the heart is on the left side). Grab the arm, break it. You will probably get stabbed but not die.

Poeple who are much better at weapons combat than me would switch their hold on the fly in combat.

So Snake's hold is less for killing and more to compliment his hand to hand combat. He's like Simbad where his primary weapon is actually not his blade but his hands. He just uses it as a finisher pretty much. This is better shown in MGS 4.

You guys have some ideas I like, some I find meh, but I'm going t bring up those I think have potential.

MaxThunder

PM Support
^^That pic keeps making me think of alaplaya... and pentavision... that's not a good thing...
this was really off-topic though...

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
...So, Kirby's specials.
Could Kirby get PK ice hadoken if he can't get offense up? What about Magnet, using his Mario Fireball animation (i.e. hand held out)?

MaxThunder

PM Support
i believe the magnet is a special graphic effect thingy that can't be given to another character... so i think the only special they can give lucas hat kirby would be the ice...

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
<ProjectMildTaste>: batiatus something off topic but dont talk about anything other then games or vigilante_blade goes all inteligent

Dude wasn't kidding.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
...So, Kirby's specials.
Could Kirby get PK ice hadoken if he can't get offense up? What about Magnet, using his Mario Fireball animation (i.e. hand held out)?
I'm thinking he could get a version of Offense Up that works sort of like DKs punch. Hold B to charge and press B again to release a canned psychic attack. It wouldn't affect Kirby's smashes at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom