• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
And to any other playtesters lurking around (and if it's allowed):
- Who are you current favorite characters?
- Are there any "sleeper" characters that don't get any representation in stream that you feel could be great?
- Who seems to be the most over-hyped character among the testers?
- Who are your least favorite characters?

- Zamus, Sonic, Marth, Mario
- D3, Kirby, Sonic, DK
- Lucario
- Jiggs, DK, Shiek, Falco, Olimar

GuruKid

Smash Ace
interesting you both think charizard as the most overrated...

Do people feel that his fly isnt as good as it should be (possibly too slow or IASA frames a bit late), or is it more a fundamental problem such as spacing/kill moves?
Extremely straightforward character that, outside of his simple juggle system, doesn't have enough going for him to be considered a tournament-placing threat.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Im not a play tester but.....

- Who are you current favorite characters? Peach
- Are there any "sleeper" characters that don't get any representation in stream that you feel could be great? Peach
- Who seems to be the most over-hyped character among the testers? Falco,lucario
G&W

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I know that characters can change at just about any time and whatnot, but are there any characters that appear to be mostly finished or up to the developer's standards? (@SHeLL)

- Who are you current favorite characters?
Yoshi, Snake, Kirby, Wario, and Ike.
- Are there any "sleeper" characters that don't get any representation in stream that you feel could be great?
Yoshi & Kirby
- Who seems to be the most over-hyped character among the testers?
Zelda(She's not quite OP) and Lucario
Lucas, ROB, and Metaknight.
So glad we went back to the drawing board for MK.

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Care to provide some insight, then?

I haven't seen anything in videos nor actual gameplay from my own experiences playing as/against Charizard to indicate anything promising from Zard except his juggle setups. Zard banks on landing one of various launcher hits to get the uair juggles... which, in my opinion, won't provide a long-lasting benefit or grant him versatility to the point that he'd legitimately give the top characters a run for their money.

I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Dark.pch we need to playyyy again!

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Fireball Stars (sorry if I messed up the name) plays a pretty fantastic Sonic, at least in the demo. He came up with some very impressive tricks.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Dark.pch we need to playyyy again!
Yea. I wanna see whats going on with Peach.

It's pretty damn hard to judge characters the way they are with the low representation of skilled players playing the game. =/
I agree with this. I seen some Peach vids and I sometimes think people could be doing much more with her.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It's pretty damn hard to judge characters the way they are with the low representation of skilled players playing the game. =/
Actually, it's not hard for anyone to appraise something. Unfortunately though, for whatever reason players of around your skill level and above don't play it so you have to make due with what you can. The game is still young and just about always changing (comes with the territory of being unfinished). Devs who put these type of games together are typically not extremely skilled (see: Sakurai and probably most of his team) but I think we have a heads up because there are people in the group that are pretty skilled.

Above everything, I was asking people who play the game the most their opinions. Nothing really wrong with that. Also, yeah I agree with insight. Anyone want to (or is allowed) to share their insight on why they chose to answer the questions the way they did?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Well I only chose ZSS as my least favorite mainly because of her frame 1 jab lol. Not a big fan of frame 1 jabs.

I chose Ike because he's super fun.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm guessing people don't play it as much because P:M is not that easy to come by? The amount of people that play in groups is very small, it's far and between. It's not easy to find someone to play P:M with.. hell it's pretty much impossible.. unless you are a backroom member which not many are either.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
If you're not going to use Pika to represent Smash 64, Fox is probably a better choice than CF. He's 2nd place in 64 Tiers and 1st in Melee so he's arguably more worthy
Fox was my original suggestion, but I think that falcon has more iconic poses.

Here's a quick sketch at what I'm working on. The final result will be composited from brawl screenshots, which will be converted to vectors and turned white.

Again, I'm open to suggestions, but I'd prefer if someone had a case for what they suggest. The character has to be varied from the others, representative of smash with an emphasis on melee, iconic, and have an anticipatory pose that is also iconic at that angle. I'm considering having the knee instead of falcon punch for c falcon by the way.

Yeah, I know fox is like, everyone's go to character for high tier combat, but I kinda want to avoid that. Maybe I'll make another version with fox.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Heres a tip dont put metaknight on my damn cover

Charizard has a brutal spacing game with bair and especially ftilt (his best move) that nobody seems to want to use

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Over-hyped and overrated are not quite the same. They could feel charizard is just fine, just not great enough to deserve the disproportionate amount of hype that he's gotten (although I would argue the happehlemons video did a lot to put more fuel on that fire).

If you're not going to use Pika to represent Smash 64, Fox is probably a better choice than CF. He's 2nd place in 64 Tiers and 1st in Melee so he's arguably more worthy
Yes, but CF is iconic to Smash. There's a reason Falcon Punch is/was a meme.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Heres a tip dont put metaknight on my damn cover

Charizard has a brutal spacing game with bair and especially ftilt (his best move) that nobody seems to want to use
Okay, maybe it's just me, but I don't think I should use a pokemon. I don't think any pokemon (other than mewtwo perhaps) really represents melee, and I don't think charizard is really as fitting a representative of brawl as metaknight.

If you want me to make an alternate version with charizard, get me a good shot of charizard performing the move you want (hell, take shots of multiple moves you like) at the SAME ANGLE METAKNIGHT IS AT IN MY MOCKUP (sorry for caps, but that's pretty important).

Actually, if anyone else wants an alternate cover, the above instructions go for you too. My only disclaimer is that my time is not infinite, so I may not be able to fill everyone's requests.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Okay, maybe it's just me, but I don't think I should use a pokemon. I don't think any pokemon (other than mewtwo perhaps) really represents melee, and I don't think charizard is really as fitting a representative of brawl as metaknight.

If you want me to make an alternate version with charizard, get me a good shot of charizard performing the move you want (hell, take shots of multiple moves you like) at the SAME ANGLE METAKNIGHT IS AT IN MY MOCKUP (sorry for caps, but that's pretty important).

Actually, if anyone else wants an alternate cover, the above instructions go for you too. My only disclaimer is that my time is not infinite, so I may not be able to fill everyone's requests.
The charizard comment was to someone else who was suggesting charizard was bad.

The MK comment was to you. MK is too indicative of brawl to be on a project m cover. We want to remind people of melee not that other game.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
The charizard comment was to someone else who was suggesting charizard was bad.

The MK comment was to you. MK is too indicative of brawl to be on a project m cover. We want to remind people of melee not that other game.
ROY would do the trick. xD or Fox?

Anyone notice the Meta Knights rotating on your cursor? O_O

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
That happened to me once the first time I checked smashboards this morning but I haven't seen it since.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
^So what are you gonna put in the back?
So far, nothing, keeping with the style. You want something on the back? If you have any good ideas (that are easily executed), I'll add it. like a few screenshots and descriptive text is simple enough.

Okay, could you please name a brawl newcomer who is representative of high level play in both brawl and P:M, with a distinct silhouette and an iconic pose, that would fit in that position? The reason for this is that I want to represent that P:M incorporates new characters in the game, not just an inbreeding of old melee ideas.

Here's a list of brawl characters who I think are not acceptable to take metaknight's place:

Snake (I love him, but he's third party, and he has way too much detail on his suit and too similar a silhouette to falcon and marth)
pokemon trainer (I think pokemon call back to their series too much, and not enough to smash)
wario (too much detail for a good iconic silhouette)
sonic (third party, low representation)
Dedede (low representation, doesn't fit the melee vibe)
wolf (too much detail for a good silhouette)
olimar (doesn't fit the vibe, low representation)
diddy kong (I'm actually on edge about this one, I don't think it fits the vibe very well, but I know he's well represented and higher tier)
Ike (too much detail for a good silhouette)
Lucario (on edge about this, same issue as pokemon trainer pokemon)

Worth noting is that metaknight will be the only one not readying an attack on the cover (probably), indicating in a way that melee is challenging brawl.

Ecks

Smash Lord
So far, nothing, keeping with the style. You want something on the back? If you have any good ideas (that are easily executed), I'll add it. like a few screenshots and descriptive text is simple enough.
I think you should go for a standard back cover explaining project goals and a "visit smashmods.com for updates/help." I don't know if in-game pictures would fit well with the theme of the cover but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Or you could put one or two more silhouettes there if you want instead of the pictures.

And the mks around the cursor happen only once when you enter the site.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
I think you should go for a standard back cover explaining project goals and a "visit smashmods.com for updates/help." I don't know if in-game pictures would fit well with the theme of the cover but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try. Or you could put one or two more silhouettes there if you want instead of the pictures.
I'll see what I can whip up and I'll include it in an alternate version. Thanks for your input.

rk-9000

Smash Apprentice
Okay, could you please name a brawl newcomer who is representative of high level play in both brawl and P:M, with a distinct silhouette and an iconic pose, that would fit in that position? The reason for this is that I want to represent that P:M incorporates new characters in the game, not just an inbreeding of old melee ideas.

Here's a list of brawl characters who I think are not acceptable to take metaknight's place:

Snake (I love him, but he's third party, and he has way too much detail on his suit and too similar a silhouette to falcon and marth)
pokemon trainer (I think pokemon call back to their series too much, and not enough to smash)
diddy kong (I'm actually on edge about this one, I don't think it fits the vibe very well, but I know he's well represented and higher tier)

Worth noting is that metaknight will be the only one not readying an attack on the cover (probably), indicating in a way that melee is challenging brawl.
i definitely vote for lucario, hes somewhat representative of brawl but has enough of an overhaul and hype by the P:M team that he doesnt say 'this is brawl' like mk, also hes awesome and i love him

drsusredfish

Smash Ace

ZSS could be a good representative of the brawl side of P:M. She looks serious has that gun shot pose that looks kinda like charlie's angels she'd have an easily recognized silouette. But out of the list you gave I'd choose lucario. Pit and lucas are the only brawl fighters left but i don't care much for them.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I vote CF, Marth,and Diddy. Diddy should be the brawl character as he is the best on the current tier list if you take MK being banned into the equation. He also has an easily recognizable silhouette and wasn't in Melee.

EDIT: My thoughts are "GHNEKO HAS A WIFE NOW???"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom