• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cero

Smash Lord
They don't learn, they simply use different moves for different situations. They've been coded to say for instance "If player does X do Y. If Y doesn't work try Z. If Z doesn't work..." They only use their options, of which they have many, not create new ones.
Yep. They stick with the option that works and then switch once it fails. Those are the basics of adaptation minus the learning aspect.

Okay, Monk. Now, we're done.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Hey guys, so I came across this site. It optimizes .pngs and gets rid of junk data, reducing the size. Anybody knows if this could work on making the file size of the common5 smaller? I figured this could be a big help since you guys plan on adding extra stages and are changing menus. Unfortunately I can't try it out at the moment. :(

Cero

Smash Lord
Random thought:

Is it technically possible to program a code that makes it so that when either Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard die, that the player can hold a button down while waiting for respawn and that will allow the player to switch pokemon?

Kind of like how you hold a button down in the stage select screen for either Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1/1-2 or holding down A to pick Sheik in Melee.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Any talented graphic designers in this thread? Considering all the Project: M logos propositioned a while ago, I'm pretty sure there are. Well, I came up with what I consider a cool idea, and it would require someone from that field:

A custom Project: M cover.
Like, we could print it out, and slip it into the Brawl case to accurately represent what the CD inside is used for.
It, of course, could, and should, look really awesome. Maybe something based on the Melee cover, but with better balance and more characters. Or some reference to the competitive Smash culture and the Pro:M community in particular, like featuring some meme or a scene of two people intently playing the game, one with his controller upside-down. Or something illustratively portraying some of the more notable aspects of the game (Falco shining, Link in Nair position close to - but not yet on - the ground, Lucario's spirit bomb, etc.). Or whatever, so long as it's appealing.
It could have a summary of some changes that have been made, and the design philosophy that motivated those changes, on the back. Even just a copy of the Mission Statement. That way, if anyone doesn't know what this "Project: M" that people are playing is, there would be a handy source of information to consult.
It could give credit to the hardworking BRers who made this possible in the place where the copyrights usually go.

This would probably best be done when the project is close to final release, so it can most accurately represent what the contents are, but I'm posting it now in case I'm forget. And if any artists like this idea, they can start gathering inspiration and planning out their approach early.
If there's a good amount of interest in doing this, we could even have a contest, or make it a collaborative effort, and have an official version available in the download.
I couldn't find anything like this idea, but I do apologize if it's a repost.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Any talented graphic designers in this thread? Considering all the Project: M logos propositioned a while ago, I'm pretty sure there are. Well, I came up with what I consider a cool idea, and it would require someone from that field:

Like, we could print it out, and slip it into the Brawl case to accurately represent what the CD inside is used for.
It, of course, could, and should, look really awesome. Maybe something based on the Melee cover, but with better balance and more characters. Or some reference to the competitive Smash culture and the Pro:M community in particular, like featuring some meme or a scene of two people intently playing the game, one with his controller upside-down. Or something illustratively portraying some of the more notable aspects of the game (Falco shining, Link in Nair position close to - but not yet on - the ground, Lucario's spirit bomb, etc.). Or whatever, so long as it's appealing.
It could have a summary of some changes that have been made, and the design philosophy that motivated those changes, on the back. Even just a copy of the Mission Statement. That way, if anyone doesn't know what this "Project: M" that people are playing is, there would be a handy source of information to consult.
It could give credit to the hardworking BRers who made this possible in the place where the copyrights usually go.

This would probably best be done when the project is close to final release, so it can most accurately represent what the contents are, but I'm posting it now in case I'm forget. And if any artists like this idea, they can start gathering inspiration and planning out their approach early.
If there's a good amount of interest in doing this, we could even have a contest, or make it a collaborative effort, and have an official version available in the download.
I couldn't find anything like this idea, but I do apologize if it's a repost.
It should probably be minimalist. The cleaner, the better imo.

The Project M equivalent of that would be nice :)

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
I'm clearly no lawyer, and shouldn't be consulted on legal matters, but in my layman opinion I think I can give some good arguments for why either:
  • Reverse passing off does not apply; or
  • This line has already been crossed

For the former, there's the fact that P:M is not being sold, so there's no customer to whom it is being falsely marketed. In fact, anyone who uses the cover must have already purchased Brawl (and thus been fully aware of the creator), and knowingly printed out the P:M cover to replace Brawl's for their own private amusement. It's not even the P:M team doing the replacement, so they couldn't be held responsible.
Besides, it's just a cover, not the actual credits that are a part of the game itself. If just putting a new piece of paper in a piece of plastic were illegal, then the games I purchased from GameStop that lack their original cover, and instead have a cover that says "GameStop" and the title of the game sharpied on would be contraband. Heck, even putting any disk in the "wrong" case, something my idiot friends regularly do, could be said to be illegal.

And for the latter, there's the fact that the startup screen and menu of the actual game already claim that it was "designed" by the Project: M Back Room.

No blurbs. Silhouettes only.
Final Destination.

Couldn't resist :bee:

Ace20

Smash Rookie
I am definitely NOT a fan of that sort of design. That looks nothing like what I imagine when I think of Smash.
If you're going to do a cover for a smash game you should feature all the fighters (like every other Smash game's cover). A minimalist design just wouldn't fit at all.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
I'd love to try and make a custom Project M cover :D. I'm fairly experienced. Can anyone tell me the dimensions for the label?

P.S. I noticed that the PMBR hasn't been releasing any character specific demo videos lately. Has this hype inducing tactic been abandoned? I'm assuming that there is no time to create these elaborate videos for us commoners lol but I'd appreciate it if you guys shed some light on the matter. :awesome:

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Unless one lonely soul decides to mess around with Brawl's ISO files (at which point, they'd be facing legal issues) or leave their SD card lying around, I don't see much of a point in a cover for P:M. There is no reason as to why any Melee-exclusive player should be slipping in a Brawl disc unless they have a reliable method of loading up Project: M as well. Most of the should be gained from the upcoming releases anyway, so a cover wouldn't be that helpful to the project. The Gecko background and text are fine as far as graphic design goes IMO. I felt hyped every time I loaded Brawl through Gecko... until I switched to Riivolution for endless broken PSA's and control over which textures I'm using :awesome:

P.S. I noticed that the PMBR hasn't been releasing any character specific demo videos lately. Has this hype inducing tactic been abandoned? I'm assuming that there is no time to create these elaborate videos for us commoners lol but I'd appreciate it if you guys shed some light on the matter. :awesome:
The guy (take note, "guy") who made those vids got hit by Hurricane Irene (or another storm? (Seriously, I don't care much for the weather abnormalities here, so if someone could confirm whether or not I'm correct...)), iirc, so just watch vids and analyze the (close to being) finished characters. A lot of what's going on in the recent builds is experimental anyway, so there's no need to get everyone's hype up with another vid tbh

EDIT: Offtopic, but did I just see Monk get banned and then unbanned over the past 8 minutes? O_o

Cero

Smash Lord
yes, Brawl- has this when you hold shield, as the pokemon do not auto-switch upon death
I think something like this would be great in P:M. It would let the Pokemon have the ability to switch while still keeping their individual down-B's. And, it would preserve the uniqueness of Pokemon Trainer.

I am definitely NOT a fan of that sort of design. That looks nothing like what I imagine when I think of Smash.
If you're going to do a cover for a smash game you should feature all the fighters (like every other Smash game's cover). A minimalist design just wouldn't fit at all.
I agree. I think we should stick to a style similar to the classic Melee box art.

[COLLAPSE="Melee Cover"]
[/COLLAPSE]

Spoon~

Smash Ace
I think something like this would be great in P:M. It would let the Pokemon have the ability to switch while still keeping their individual down-B's. And, it would preserve the uniqueness of Pokemon Trainer.
The pokemon have already been split. That argument was months ago lol.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
The guy (take note, "guy") who made those vids got hit by Hurricane Irene (or another storm? (Seriously, I don't care much for the weather abnormalities here, so if someone could confirm whether or not I'm correct...)), iirc, so just watch vids and analyze the (close to being) finished characters. A lot of what's going on in the recent builds is experimental anyway, so there's no need to get everyone's hype up with another vid tbh

EDIT: Offtopic, but did I just see Monk get banned and then unbanned over the past 8 minutes? O_o
HappehLemons and ShawnNumbers were indeed hit by the storm or w/e it was. AFAIK they're busy with life and will respond back whenever to say they're back on, hopefully.

And yes, I was banned at 12PM and was unbanned at 4PM. I requested to be banned so I could focus more on my schoolwork.

@ Cero - "NO HOTLINKING ALLOWED" Try imgur or tinypic.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
If anything a custom PM sticker in the same vein as a DS cartridge, that people could stick on their SD cards. That would be cool. You could sell them on SD cards at tourneys... for as much as the sd card cost you of course to spread the PM love, and avoid SD card confusion.

Ecks

Smash Lord
If anything a custom PM sticker in the same vein as a DS cartridge, that people could stick on their SD cards. That would be cool. You could sell them on SD cards at tourneys... for as much as the sd card cost you of course to spread the PM love, and avoid SD card confusion.
That would be really cool. Though selling it with an sd card could pose a problem unless the card is empty.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
selling it for the original retail price of the SD card would be fine.

additionally we already made covers for Project M a long time ago. XD Rated M for Melee

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
I haven't read much much about Lucas lately. Anything worth mentioning?

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter, your "testing" of an outdated version isn't useful, nor relevant.
It's as if you were complaining about a completely different game, so stop spamming the thread with your "concerns".

Wait until you play the current version before giving feedback.
I disagree with the sentiment that playing the demo is entirely useless, although I agree that talking about things that are character specific in the demo are a bit irrelevant. Even though the demo is outdated, it can still provide a person the ability to demonstrate that they can preform in a melee like environment, even if it doesn't have the latest features, it still has core elements that the current pm build has.

Jonny Westside

S4mus Fiend
NNID
Jonny-Westside
3DS FC
4098-3340-4061
I have a question about Lucario's OHC system. Was it intended for him? Or did you guys do trial and error with the rest of the cast? Can this system be ported to anyone?

Edit: Multiple questions. :awesome:

Cero

Smash Lord
The pokemon have already been split. That argument was months ago lol.
Yeah. But the consensus was that we should split them up because we couldn't map the transform move to other buttons. And, it would be more interesting for each Pokemon to have individual down-B's.

But if we can keep the individual down-b's and make it so that you can choose to counterpick a different Pokemon upon death, then why not?

HappehLemons and ShawnNumbers were indeed hit by the storm or w/e it was. AFAIK they're busy with life and will respond back whenever to say they're back on, hopefully.

And yes, I was banned at 12PM and was unbanned at 4PM. I requested to be banned so I could focus more on my schoolwork.

@ Cero - "NO HOTLINKING ALLOWED" Try imgur or tinypic.
It was working at first... Oh, well. Everyone reading this probably has a copy of Melee handy anyway.

Revven

FrankerZ
Yeah. But the consensus was that we should split them up because we couldn't map the transform move to other buttons. And, it would be more interesting for each Pokemon to have individual down-B's.

But if we can keep the individual down-b's and make it so that you can choose to counterpick a different Pokemon upon death, then why not?
It doesn't work like that, PT has to be there in order for switching to be there. This also isn't the only reason why PT wasn't chosen to stick with. It was more than just a matter of down B or no down B. There was literally probably 40+ pages of debate on this in the backroom and it wasn't just one reason people were arguing for or against PT, it was multiple different reasons.

I'd like to delve into them if I could but the decision has already been made and we're already too far into one to two of the three Pokemon to go back to PT.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I disagree with the sentiment that playing the demo is entirely useless, although I agree that talking about things that are character specific in the demo are a bit irrelevant. Even though the demo is outdated, it can still provide a person the ability to demonstrate that they can preform in a melee like environment, even if it doesn't have the latest features, it still has core elements that the current pm build has.
But he's not talking about those core elements, most of which are also in Melee, he's complaining about a character being overpowered, in a version that's months old, and he even says he doesn't play the demo much.

He's acting like he's a playtester doing his job, but like I said, what's the point of playtesting something that might have been changed greatly in the current version?

It's not like he asked if Zelda was exactly the same, or how she was changed, he just claimed she was OP, and the reasons he gave were addressed by 9Kplus1 and others, yet he insisted that he was right ("I'm standing my ground on the Zelda topic.") and then went on to say stuff that I won't describe, as I couldn't think of an adjective that wouldn't sound offensive.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
But he's not talking about those core elements, most of which are also in Melee, he's complaining about a character being overpowered, in a version that's months old, and he even says he doesn't play the demo much.

He's acting like he's a playtester doing his job, but like I said, what's the point of playtesting something that might have been changed greatly in the current version?

It's not like he asked if Zelda was exactly the same, or how she was changed, he just claimed she was OP, and the reasons he gave were addressed by 9Kplus1 and others, yet he insisted that he was right ("I'm standing my ground on the Zelda topic.") and then went on to say stuff that I won't describe, as I couldn't think of an adjective that wouldn't sound offensive.
I saw lol and I certainly don't support his claims, nor am I saying you said anything wrong. Its just more often than not, I see people dismiss anything relating to the demo, like its a piece of trash even though its has plenty of use. I even see pm members call out people who mention it and remind them that its severely outdated and that their time is better spent waiting for the next one or playing melee, makes me wonder if people take any pride in their work anymore. So yeah not directed particularly at you, probably shouldn't have quoted you but you mentioned it in way that kinda related to my point.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
It's not looked upon as trash. It's that the difference between the demo and the most recent version and Melee is big enough that you're not doing yourself a lot of good by practicing with it. You'll have to adjust to a lot with whatever update comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom