• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I haven't read much much about Lucas lately. Anything worth mentioning?
Specks and I have been doing a massive overhaul of Lucas. We've still got a few experimental bits to pin down but I believe we've gotten a cohesive game together revolving around setting up smash kills. I apologize to anyone who feels slighted by having to invest time in relearning the character, but I think you'll be quite happy when you get your hands on him.

Once we get him polished up a bit more I will try to get together a blog post of some kind to present him formally.

Does Wario have a backwards throw on his Bite now?
Sort of -- you can choose the direction you spit opponents out, either forwards or backwards, but the stats and animaiton of the throw are the same.

Also, any enquiries that need to be addressed to Shanus during his absence may be directed to me.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Yeah, the changes we made to Lucas were fairly unanimous. SHell and Specks has been working hard, but what took time what that not many of us play Lucas regularily and it took some uploaded footage (Quite a few from Gurukid) for us to look at before we could get a real idea about what we should do with him next.

humble

Smash Ace
Given that you've achieved a playstyle with Lucas that you're happy with, could you describe what that entails/how he's changed? I just mean outline his general playstyle now, what's new with him, etc.

Cero

Smash Lord
It doesn't work like that, PT has to be there in order for switching to be there. This also isn't the only reason why PT wasn't chosen to stick with. It was more than just a matter of down B or no down B. There was literally probably 40+ pages of debate on this in the backroom and it wasn't just one reason people were arguing for or against PT, it was multiple different reasons.

I'd like to delve into them if I could but the decision has already been made and we're already too far into one to two of the three Pokemon to go back to PT.
People were complaining about the fact that PT's in the background?

Some people have the strangest nitpicks.

Oh, well. I trust that 40 pages didn't bring about the wrong decision.

Cero

Smash Lord
It doesn't work like that, PT has to be there in order for switching to be there.
I just assumed he mentioned that to show that it was a complaint or something.

I'm a little inebriated right now, so...

EDIT: Unless he's saying that in order for Pokemon switch to be an option, PT has to be present. And if PT is present, there's a technical problem where the characters can't retain their individual down-B's. Then that bit about PT in the background would make more sense to me.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I don't think I'm at liberty to discuss Lucas since he's still being developed; although he is taking a much more reasonable difrection. A concept we tested on him didn't turn out well so we made the appropriate changes :p. I'm pretty sure we will eventually discuss what's new with character in the near future.

DVDV28

Smash Apprentice
That's good, there's nothing like unreasonable difrections to screw up a character.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
Project M Cover

Any talented graphic designers in this thread? Considering all the Project: M logos propositioned a while ago, I'm pretty sure there are. Well, I came up with what I consider a cool idea, and it would require someone from that field:

A custom Project: M cover.
Like, we could print it out, and slip it into the Brawl case to accurately represent what the CD inside is used for.
It, of course, could, and should, look really awesome. Maybe something based on the Melee cover, but with better balance and more characters. Or some reference to the competitive Smash culture and the Pro:M community in particular, like featuring some meme or a scene of two people intently playing the game, one with his controller upside-down. Or something illustratively portraying some of the more notable aspects of the game (Falco shining, Link in Nair position close to - but not yet on - the ground, Lucario's spirit bomb, etc.). Or whatever, so long as it's appealing.
It could have a summary of some changes that have been made, and the design philosophy that motivated those changes, on the back. Even just a copy of the Mission Statement. That way, if anyone doesn't know what this "Project: M" that people are playing is, there would be a handy source of information to consult.
It could give credit to the hardworking BRers who made this possible in the place where the copyrights usually go.

This would probably best be done when the project is close to final release, so it can most accurately represent what the contents are, but I'm posting it now in case I'm forget. And if any artists like this idea, they can start gathering inspiration and planning out their approach early.
If there's a good amount of interest in doing this, we could even have a contest, or make it a collaborative effort, and have an official version available in the download.
I couldn't find anything like this idea, but I do apologize if it's a repost.
I made a cover for you. This can be enlarged if necessary of course.

What I couldn't decide on was good character(s) to put below the logo. Can you think of a character or set of characters (no more than 3) that are iconic of super smash bros? Or some other art asset that is representative of smash and is more interesting than the smash logo of the circle with two lines through it?

EDIT: ****. Meant to send this as a private message. Ah well, does anyone have any opinions on this boxart or have any ideas they'd like to add?

Ecks

Smash Lord
^ Fox, Sheik and Jiggs. On second thought, Brawl Fox is ugly, put Falco.

... On third thought, Jiggs is to girly. Put Marth instead. Ironic, I know.

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
Eh, I'm not big on the minimalist thing. Especially since it looks like a ripoff of Ghibli's Japanese covers.

But, just to give some input: How about Pikachu, Fox, and Metaknight? Each using the official artwork from their respective Smash game, of course.
Or, how about Sandbag?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Shell whats the status of being able to play P:M online?
The soft-presses input code has not yet been fixed up to allow wifi.

However, we do have a version of the .gct in the PMBR build without those codes which can be used to play online.

Stevo

Smash Champion
The soft-presses input code has not yet been fixed up to allow wifi.

However, we do have a version of the .gct in the PMBR build without those codes which can be used to play online.
I would hate to lose soft-press OR wifi (though, I would be willing to give up wifi if needed)

I'm sure you guys are busy with lots of things, but what do you think is the likelyhood of finding a fix?

+1 for falcon kneeing metaknight

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
By my understanding it's not a question of ability or likelyhood, it is a matter of time and priority... but we'll see.

Ecks

Smash Lord
When wifi is fixed so will replays right? I don't care much for the bad wifi but replays sure are convenient.

Edit Monk, your cover should based off of this:

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
By my understanding it's not a question of ability or likelyhood, it is a matter of time and priority... but we'll see.
So it is technically possible to fix, but it just needs a lot of time/effort/coding to actually create the fix?

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I think it should be Fox Upsmashing MetaKnight into a Falcon knee while Lucario fires a Spirit Bomb at him. Also, I agree with Cubelarooso about the minimalist cover; I'd prefer a more Smash-like cover.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I know that characters can change at just about any time and whatnot, but are there any characters that appear to be mostly finished or up to the developer's standards? (@SHeLL)

And to any other playtesters lurking around (and if it's allowed):
- Who are you current favorite characters?
- Are there any "sleeper" characters that don't get any representation in stream that you feel could be great?
- Who seems to be the most over-hyped character among the testers?
- Who are your least favorite characters?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I know that characters can change at just about any time and whatnot, but are there any characters that appear to be mostly finished or up to the developer's standards? (@SHeLL)

- Are there any "sleeper" characters that don't get any representation in stream that you feel could be great?
-Ike, Falcon, and Kirby.
-Kirby
-Can't really answer that because I don't know
-ZSS

jalued

Smash Lord
GnW, Bowser, Samus (both)
Ness, so much ness
Charizard
Olimar
interesting you both think charizard as the most overrated...

Do people feel that his fly isnt as good as it should be (possibly too slow or IASA frames a bit late), or is it more a fundamental problem such as spacing/kill moves?

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
I likethe minimalist look so far, so I am going to keep working on it (low time investment, cool payoff).

I may work on a boxart more similar to the other ones in the future (ie. tons of characters), but that time is not today.

After some internal discussion of the characters I should use (basically my friend saying fox & final destination) I decided to go with metaknight, marth, and captain falcon. I chose them because they were each introduced as a new character in one of the three smash games, they are all popular/iconic of smash, and reasonably close to top tier in the verion they debuted in.

Of course, if you disagree, then please suggest something else and I'll change up if it's good.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
interesting you both think charizard as the most overrated...

Do people feel that his fly isnt as good as it should be (possibly too slow or IASA frames a bit late), or is it more a fundamental problem such as spacing/kill moves?
Over-hyped and overrated are not quite the same. They could feel charizard is just fine, just not great enough to deserve the disproportionate amount of hype that he's gotten (although I would argue the happehlemons video did a lot to put more fuel on that fire).

Evilagram said:
I likethe minimalist look so far, so I am going to keep working on it (low time investment, cool payoff).

I may work on a boxart more similar to the other ones in the future (ie. tons of characters), but that time is not today.

After some internal discussion of the characters I should use (basically my friend saying fox & final destination) I decided to go with metaknight, marth, and captain falcon. I chose them because they were each introduced as a new character in one of the three smash games, they are all popular/iconic of smash, and reasonably close to top tier in the verion they debuted in.

Of course, if you disagree, then please suggest something else and I'll change up if it's good.
If you're not going to use Pika to represent Smash 64, Fox is probably a better choice than CF. He's 2nd place in 64 Tiers and 1st in Melee so he's arguably more worthy

PEEF!

Smash Hero

- Favs: Squirtle, Pit, Zard, ZSS, Wolf(?)
- Sleeper: ROB's arms are the most underrated things in this whole game. However, Captain Falcon is insane right now. Falcon Kick is INSANE, everything insane now.
- Over-hyped? Lucas? Idk. Over-rated is Lucario and Zelda.
- Least favs: Ivysaur, Metaknight, and ROB. ROBS ARMS...DONT GET ME STARTED. Oh and ZSS. I know she was on my favs but you just have to understand lol.

Some responses: Charizard deserves 100% of his hype. He is an awesome character. SO FAST. I also think Ness isn't a "sleeper" character, but more of a sleeping character. He still loses to everything he loses to in melee. Such a tough character to balance because the character is slow moving, slow falling, and has mid-low range. Tough work the PMBR has to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom