• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmart

Smash Lord
@ SHC - Mario: M Fair has elements of both Doc and Mario fair depending on where you hit with it. Mario in general is a conglomerate of the best elements of Doc and Mario
And if you'd like to apply, you can do so over here.

JOE!

Smash Hero
*back from work*

Well I feel silly. I always thought L canceling was named like Z Canceling in 64, after the button used....

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
I meant Melee, yes. I didn't see any video demonstrations anywhere of characters wave dashing rapidly which surprises me, since it seemed to be the most important thing.

From what I've read elsewhere the Fair be a majority DoC's, while retaining less of Mario's is a bit unfortunate. The upward trajectory doesn't seem to fit Mario's play style, as he's not a very vertically oriented character, while the down-spike keeps players to the floor where they can be repeatedly spiked and combo'd into throws, short hop D-airs, and followed by n-airs, or something along that style.

I would think half or most of the Fair should be retained for the downward spike. It was damn near indispensable for me.

crush

Smash Master
I meant Melee, yes. I didn't see any video demonstrations anywhere of characters wave dashing rapidly which surprises me, since it seemed to be the most important thing.

From what I've read elsewhere the Fair be a majority DoC's, while retaining less of Mario's is a bit unfortunate. The upward trajectory doesn't seem to fit Mario's play style, as he's not a very vertically oriented character, while the down-spike keeps players to the floor where they can be repeatedly spiked and combo'd into throws, short hop D-airs, and followed by n-airs, or something along that style.

I would think half or most of the Fair should be retained for the downward spike. It was damn near indispensable for me.
The fair that sends you up is much better than the meteor smash fair. Fair sending upwards is a kill move and uthrow or dthrow fair will kill off the top against a lot of characters at high percents. The meteor smash fair is pretty much useless unless they're on the ground and it doesn't ever really combo into itself or throws due to meteor cancels and techs.......

:phone:

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
That seems to be a lot of players' overview of the comparison between the moves, which is curious since most people didn't seem to use Mario. Personally, I cannot tell you how many times I've initiated or completed a combo using that forward spike. It really was a trove.

How I would have done it was increase the starting angle that the attack can launch you at, while decreasing the distance it launches you the lower the trajectory is. Down spikes would essentially have the lowest power, but still have a more interpretable outcome upon connection.

Ultimately, I think including it 1) at the end of the attack, and 2) with less frames is further going to perpetuate the idea that Doc's punch was actually vastly superior to the spike. But I don't think people honestly care that much. I suppose I'll have to play and see.

Say, any news on character replacements, and how that hole process is handled? I do character art/animation freelance, and would definitely be up for doing custom stuff.

crush

Smash Master
That seems to be a lot of players' overview of the comparison between the moves, which is curious since most people didn't seem to use Mario. Personally, I cannot tell you how many times I've initiated or completed a combo using that forward spike. It really was a trove.

How I would have done it was increase the starting angle that the attack can launch you at, while decreasing the distance it launches you the lower the trajectory is. Down spikes would essentially have the lowest power, but still have a more interpretable outcome upon connection.

Ultimately, I think including it 1) at the end of the attack, and 2) with less frames is further going to perpetuate the idea that Doc's punch was actually vastly superior to the spike. But I don't think people honestly care that much. I suppose I'll have to play and see.

Say, any news on character replacements, and how that hole process is handled? I do character art/animation freelance, and would definitely be up for doing custom stuff.
I honestly have no idea what you're saying when you say "forward spike" and "down spike". The move is a meteor smash, and I've never heard the term forward spike or down spike anywhere. I also don't see how the angle you meteor smash them at is affecting how it can combo when the move is meteor cancellable and techable...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
That new Charizard Taunt is awesome! Will the PMBR be putting in individual crowd cheers for the pokemon down the road?

Where there changes to Ike's UP B? I have played brawl in ages, but I don't remember it moving through the stage.
probably not possible

no.

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
His f-air. Though it's a meteor smash I always end up calling it a spike because it's literally a volleyball spike.

The lines about angles and combos were separate ideas.

SB, which software package do you guys use to animate, and will there be any way to have additional player slots?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Yeah... If you apply to be a playtester, you will not get in without videos available of you playing. If you're an animator/coder, you will not get in without examples of your work.

SuperHappyCow

Banned via Warnings
I'd rather animate or build characters. I've got a portfolio site and the like. However, I generally like to have a really nice rig set up while animating, and I'm not quite sure BB has IK(after searching it doesn't seem apparent), so I'll just keep my eye on it for now, and message you guys about it in the future.

Since the addition of more characters is also apparently not going to happen, I'll probably not apply as a modeler, either. For shame! There's at least 4 characters I'd like to build specifically for Melee. ;_;

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Ultimately, I think including it 1) at the end of the attack, and 2) with less frames is further going to perpetuate the idea that Doc's punch was actually vastly superior to the spike.
*cough* I think that that's the idea that they were going for. The fact that you picked up on it is a sign that they did their job well, I guess.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
the term meteor smash is dumb. i call it a "dunk". marios fair should dunk. falcos dair dunks. samus' dair dunks.

see where im going with this?

ooOo yeah. do you have to be any good to be in the pmbr? i seen some slouches lately :) i could dunk them, and win by 3 stocks.

*claps*

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Meteor smash is the official term, slimpy. Players didn't name it, the dev team/translators did.

Also Shadic, when you say footage of playing, I'm assuming that's restricted to Melee and Project M, correct? :/

Unfortunately I don't have any footage of me playing either, so meh.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
Brawl footage obviously isn't the #1 videos that we want to see in an application, but if you feel like any of your Brawl videos will help you get into the PMBR, please feel free to post them. Also, remember you can add additional info in your applications, you're not restricted to answering just the application questions. Feel free to add any info that you think will help you in applying to the PMBR.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Meteor smash is the official term, slimpy. Players didn't name it, the dev team/translators did.
Why does that matter? Teching and powershielding and L-canceling are much more commonly used among smashers than the official terms for those things (ukemi and perfect shielding and ... I dunno wtf Sakurai calls L-canceling). In reality the community sets the terms, not the dev team.

But there is a necessary distinction to make between meteors and spikes, so it's useful to have different terms for them.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Does Charizard have armor when he flies upwards from his down-b? cause he should

you could fly right through their attack then and then come at them from above right after. This would allow him to be more versatile of an aerial chaser (like he is supposed to be)

if he has armor on his flight, then play testers should try it out.

Oh and yes Crush, I like cream soda. On a side note, here in Canada, crush cream soda is actually pink!

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Sounds like an advanced technique for Captain Falcon.

"I don't always use aerials, but when I do I end them with a smooth landing. Stay classy my friends."

NeoZ

Smash Ace
the term meteor smash is dumb. i call it a "dunk". marios fair should dunk. falcos dair dunks. samus' dair dunks.

see where im going with this?
Not really, your term would be confusing and less specific than what the community already uses.
The fact that you grouped Mario's fair with Falco's dair as the same kind of move shows that.

Spoon~

Smash Ace
Not really, your term would be confusing and less specific than what the community already uses.
The fact that you grouped Mario's fair with Falco's dair as the same kind of move shows that.
Since they both meteor I don't see why you can't. Pretty much any move that meteor/spikes you get "dunked". Means the same ****, everyone has their own terms.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
they don't both meteor. falco's dair spikes, you can't cancel it. same as marth's dair and (i think...) ganon's aerial down b. spikes are different from meteors.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
they don't both meteor. falco's dair spikes, you can't cancel it. same as marth's dair and (i think...) ganon's aerial down b. spikes are different from meteors.
I believe there are four spikes in Melee. Falco's Dair, Marth's Dair, Ganondorf's aerial Wizard Kick, and Captain Falcon's nipple spike on Dair (very specific hitbox).

Of course, meteor cancel timing has also been made with actual timing in mind instead of what it was in Melee and Brawl.

Spoon~

Smash Ace
I know they are different, I'm just explaining the "dunk" thing. Not everyone follows the smash community terminology exact.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
sigh, I guess u guys aren't giving fox his melee stance huh? :/

atleast change the way he shoots his blaster in the air...he looks ****en ********

Edit: didn't mean to come off as demanding but seriously, u guys are doing an awesome job and the game should look as good as it plays

Revven

FrankerZ
sigh, I guess u guys aren't giving fox his melee stance huh? :/
You're acting like it's easy to do. It's not, if we did that, we would have to make it transition into it for everything that Fox does. Everything Fox does transitions back to wait1, which means modifying every animation in the game for Fox to transition back into that new wait1.

Not worth the insurmountable amount of time just for aesthetic purposes. If you really want his wait stance from Melee, try making it yourself.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I don't if anyone has done any character specific SFX, just the general SFX you've probably heard in a couple videos. I'm interested in seeing more general swing sounds (punches, sword swings, kicks, etc.) along with character specific stuff (or at least make Yoshi sound less like a rubber duck). I like Ness' "psychic" sounds more in 64 and Melee too.
I was trying to find the .wavs so I could try and do it myself but I couldn't find character specific sfx anywhere. Well I did, but only for Mario...

And yeah, if you pay attention, all of Fox's moves end with him going back to his dumb stance.

Also, Smooth Landing sounds more like a waveland to me.

kaizo13

Smash Champion
im fully aware of the amount of work it would take...like i said i'm not being demanding
but yes, it would be a bit of a downer if it doesn't make it in

changing his blaster stance would be alot easier tho no? you guys don't think it looks silly that he shoots it like he's standing on the ground?

JOE!

Smash Hero
*looks back a bit*

There's a new Zard taunt? Also, I semi agree with giving his new Down B some sort of armor on start, like his Up B, to be used defensively (escape) as opposed to pure offense with follow-ups?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom