• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninka_kiwi

Smash Ace
Has there been any recent videos of Toon link shown?
All the ones on YouTube are all at least a few months old and by how you guys are talking about him he seems to have gotten some awesome changes <.>

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I agree with 100% of what falco400 said because it is true. If I know one thing they are staying away from what killed Brawl+ and that is a good thing.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...this whole time I've been trying to convince people that Link received a few too many buffs because when I play with him when this is released I want to be known as a good player and not a Link player, and I have my mind set on maining Link. Also, I don't want Link (or any character, for that matter) to ever be good enough to receive a bad rep like MK has from Barlw, even partially. But now that I think about it, I want to see more people main link more than either of those things.

So you know what? Leave him as is. :) Let him be easy to pick up and play with - for now, at least. Just understand that in the future, he may need some nerfs.
I think you are confusing something about melee link.... He was ALWAYS easy to pick up and do well with ... at low to mid level play... Hes only really bad at high level.

When you watch some low, mid and high level play at PM... You will see link does well and gets trashed accordingly depending on the skill of the link player then the skill of the other player as I mentioned above.

I don't ever think link will need nerfs. Especially after ledge occupancy is fixed.

I do as everyone here knows at this point think that link needs 1 or 2 moves to be slightly more powerfull to match other characters in kill potencial... So all of these matches that I've seen in pm good (links or bad ones) won't be-

Rack damage and avoid hits until the opponent is at 170 then get a weak hit kill or maybe land one of his very unsafe actual kill moves. Then get killed at around 100 right when the other player appears because just about every other character kills link lower than he can kill them.

If not I just thank the PMBR for faster Dtilt, dash attack, and the more powerful rang return hit... I can land Dairs much more easily now.

Link's looking amazing... He's Just lacking a viable kill move. I feel the same about sonic. Snake looks like he was fixed in that area though.

whats up with people thinking spin attack is so amazingly powerfull? Any good link main will tell you to use it very sparingly...

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I think you are confusing something about melee link.... He was ALWAYS easy to pick up and do well with ... at low to mid level play... Hes only really bad at high level.

When you watch some low, mid and high level play at PM... You will see link does well and gets trashed accordingly depending on the skill of the link player then the skill of the other player as I mentioned above.

I don't ever think link will need nerfs. Especially after ledge occupancy is fixed.

I do as everyone here knows at this point think that link needs 1 or 2 moves to be slightly more powerfull to match other characters in kill potencial... So all of these matches that I've seen in pm good (links or bad ones) won't be-

Rack damage and avoid hits until the opponent is at 170 then get a weak hit kill or maybe land one of his very unsafe actual kill moves. Then get killed at around 100 right when the other player appears because just about every other character kills link lower than he can kill them.

If not I just thank the PMBR for faster Dtilt, dash attack, and the more powerful rang return hit... I can land Dairs much more easily now.

Link's looking amazing... He's Just lacking a viable kill move. I feel the same about sonic. Snake looks like he was fixed in that area though.

whats up with people thinking spin attack is so amazingly powerfull? Any good link main will tell you to use it very sparingly...
You and I must have entirely different mindsets of what Melee link is.

By the way, with all this Link talk going around (half of that because of me lol), what all has changed in comparison to his demo build?

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
All the ones on YouTube are all at least a few months old and by how you guys are talking about him he seems to have gotten some awesome changes <.>
Yeah I noticed he hasn't been getting too much love in streams and I'm not seeing him in any recent videos on youtube.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
@ding as seen in vids, he has n64 entry, able to ff arrows, melee taunt anim, and shield blocking during mid walk
Ah, right, the new shield blocking during mid walk lol.

And as for the ff arrows, that simply means that he will keep his momentum when preparing to shoot while ff'ing, right? Will all characters' b-moves not change ff'ing momentum, ouside of ones that move a character?

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
You guys still haven't seen the most hilarious Toon Link change yet XD Hopefully it'll come up on a stream or vid fairly soon.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Hopefully we'll get some. I played a lot of Toon Link at Yagi's.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
More hilarious =P And besides, the D Taunt hitbox thing was already done in Brawl- Nah this is more original, but you won't see it very often.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
Don't forget that Monk and I will be streaming at Teh Pwn Gaming this weekend. I'm also the person who's streaming the melee tourney. I will be streaming pm first then switching to melee for the tourney. It may be a while after switching to melee because there's a chance it might be a 64-man double elimination. >.>

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
More hilarious =P And besides, the D Taunt hitbox thing was already done in Brawl- Nah this is more original, but you won't see it very often.
I wasn't even aware of its presence in Brawl-, but now I'm really interested in seeing what this is, heh.

Ecks

Smash Lord
Well, I'm intrigued. Though contrary to what my avatar may make you assume, I'm not really interested in Tink that much. lol

And going offtopic here, does anyone know where to find character specific Melee sfx? Stuff like Ness' double jump sound. Been looking for a while now and I would really appreciate it.

Stevo

Smash Champion
like I said

woulda done something like "green elf hat"

IT WAS A TEST TO THE PMBR OF COURSE, AND YOU PASSED

I totally did not open something random with hex editor and copy paste part of it

I should have opened up the Link.dat file I have of the melee disk lol damn it

crush

Smash Master
like I said

woulda done something like "green elf hat"

IT WAS A TEST TO THE PMBR OF COURSE, AND YOU PASSED

I totally did not open something random with hex editor and copy paste part of it

I should have opened up the Link.dat file I have of the melee disk lol damn it
were not crush buddies anymore?????

=(

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
L canceling doesn't mean the L button. It means lag-canceling. Which can be done with any shield button.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Well, I'm intrigued. Though contrary to what my avatar may make you assume, I'm not really interested in Tink that much. lol

And going offtopic here, does anyone know where to find character specific Melee sfx? Stuff like Ness' double jump sound. Been looking for a while now and I would really appreciate it.
I don't if anyone has done any character specific SFX, just the general SFX you've probably heard in a couple videos. I'm interested in seeing more general swing sounds (punches, sword swings, kicks, etc.) along with character specific stuff (or at least make Yoshi sound less like a rubber duck). I like Ness' "psychic" sounds more in 64 and Melee too.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
So I have to ask why Pokemon Stadium 1 was frozen. The transforming version was totally viable in Melee? I'm pretty "eh" about any changes to Melee stages.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
We froze PS1 due to Brawl's windmill being stupid with how the collisions work. We cannot recreate Melee's PS1 windmill yet, so for now, we have it frozen.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
Yeah, but isn't PS1 frozen on the Grass stage? That's different enough to be its own stage; it's not like it's a clone of frozen PS2.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Yeah, but isn't PS1 frozen on the Grass stage? That's different enough to be its own stage; it's not like it's a clone of frozen PS2.
I know, it's just, i think melee stages should stay as is, nostalgia you know? I'm already mourning the lack of hazards on the 64 stages...

TeiunBomb

Smash Apprentice
I'm personally fine with not having a hazard in Hyrule Castle (although I do think that there should be a version made when the technology becomes possible), but agree wholeheartedly. No bumper on Peach's Castle or pokémon in Saffron City fills me with great sads.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
However, no Melee Link mains think he sucks. Only those who have just picked him up and played with him would, because he has no B&B stuff like Marth's fair and fsmash or Shiek's ftilt and fair. You need to understand all of his moves equally in order to do well with him.

It's not so much that said Melee Link character mains are pro as it is that they are the few competitive players who actually took the time to practice with him and unlock his full potential, and go to tourneys.
ok. who are you..? where's the evidence of your skill with Melee Link, why should I care your opinion on Link? who is btw a bad character.
TL; DR: It's not the inexperienced players I'm worried about. If experienced Link players could do well without all of the above, however, imagine how well they can do with it.
yeah they might actually be able to win tournaments with their main rather than settling for "I do decently well with Link in tournament."

Almost all of the Link buffs were in one way or another specifically suggested by Skler. He analyzed what Link needed to compete competitively, not to completely destroy every character.

if you want to make a case for Link being godlike, then win tournaments with him against players that are better than you who have experience against PM Link. sick of people expecting us to perfectly balance this game before release; we need tournament data to figure out what characters are lacking and what they need, and what is too good. we can only do so much with only ~30 active playtesters/coders.

In other news,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYURXsIa7HY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0ozS2SHdr4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FinlKtDHhRE
more being uploaded/processed.

krackizwak

Smash Cadet
That new Charizard Taunt is awesome! Will the PMBR be putting in individual crowd cheers for the pokemon down the road?

Where there changes to Ike's UP B? I have played brawl in ages, but I don't remember it moving through the stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom