• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octorox

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
It's been a while since I watched a stream anyone taking a look at wolf I'm curious really want to see how he plays next to the other spacies?

:phone:
I'm curious to see some Wolf too, I hope the P:M team haven been working some of their crazy magic on him

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious to see some Wolf too, I hope the P:M team haven been working some of their crazy magic on him
Yea I'm lookin forward to seeing what's new about him I'm kinda tired of playing nothing but falco I want to see what wolf is capable of he was good in brawl IMO.

melon

Smash Cadet
So I was messing around with Samus in Melee today and thought of a potentially unpopular suggestion for her in Project M. I actually think it would be a great idea to give her double jump cancelling.

Now I realize that this would be a pretty big deviation from Melee, but hear me out. From what I've heard so far, although I'm admittedly a bit behind on Project M news, she's been mostly restored to her Melee self. If she hasn't yet received any additions and needs something extra, I actually think giving her double jump cancelling would make her character a bit better and add tons of depth to her playstyle, moreso than would giving it to any other character.

My reasons:
  • She's a semi-floaty like the other double-jump cancellers, so it wouldn't be too unnatural for her to DJC.
  • So many of her moves are already perfect combo set-ups if she had the ability to DJC. For example, dtilt, dair, or dthrow into a DJC aerial. Mess around with her in training mode or something and you'll see.
  • It would work really well with bomb-jumping. E.g. bomb -> crouch cancel -> DJC nair -> bomb jump -> any other aerial, or in the air, a simple bomb -> DJC nair -> bomb jump -> any other aerial. Think of cancelling a zair with a bomb, Mike Nasty style, but now with DJC aerials. It would fit right into her playstyle.
  • It would give her many new approach and defensive options. For example, DJC fair would be a nice combo set-up move, hitting the opponent with only the first hitbox of her fair. DJC nair out of shield would be an alternative to up-b out of shield.
  • Samus's jump is currently pretty bad, and probably the one of the worst things about her. This would help.
  • I don't think it would be unbalanced. Obviously it would need to be tested, but I don't think that adding DJCing would push Samus ahead of the likes of Marth, Fox, Falco, Shiek, and the others.

Of course I don't know about technical limitations that might prevent this from being able to be implemented, but it's just a thought.

Other than that, how is Samus coming along?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I have an even better question! How is Yoshi doing? How's THAT for a character no one ever talk about?

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Yoshi is beast. I hope he gets more attention after launch, because he's a very underrated character.

metroid1117

Smash Master
So I was messing around with Samus in Melee today and thought of a potentially unpopular suggestion for her in Project M. I actually think it would be a great idea to give her double jump cancelling.

Now I realize that this would be a pretty big deviation from Melee, but hear me out. From what I've heard so far, although I'm admittedly a bit behind on Project M news, she's been mostly restored to her Melee self. If she hasn't yet received any additions and needs something extra, I actually think giving her double jump cancelling would make her character a bit better and add tons of depth to her playstyle, moreso than would giving it to any other character.

My reasons:
  • She's a semi-floaty like the other double-jump cancellers, so it wouldn't be too unnatural for her to DJC.
  • So many of her moves are already perfect combo set-ups if she had the ability to DJC. For example, dtilt, dair, or dthrow into a DJC aerial. Mess around with her in training mode or something and you'll see.
  • It would work really well with bomb-jumping. E.g. bomb -> crouch cancel -> DJC nair -> bomb jump -> any other aerial, or in the air, a simple bomb -> DJC nair -> bomb jump -> any other aerial. Think of cancelling a zair with a bomb, Mike Nasty style, but now with DJC aerials. It would fit right into her playstyle.
  • It would give her many new approach and defensive options. For example, DJC fair would be a nice combo set-up move, hitting the opponent with only the first hitbox of her fair. DJC nair out of shield would be an alternative to up-b out of shield.
  • Samus's jump is currently pretty bad, and probably the one of the worst things about her. This would help.
  • I don't think it would be unbalanced. Obviously it would need to be tested, but I don't think that adding DJCing would push Samus ahead of the likes of Marth, Fox, Falco, Shiek, and the others.

Of course I don't know about technical limitations that might prevent this from being able to be implemented, but it's just a thought.

Other than that, how is Samus coming along?
That's an interesting idea, but I don't think that would fit Samus' playstyle. Keep in mind that so far, the PMBR's goal with Melee veterans has been to retain existing playstyles but give buffs accordingly so the character is competitively viable (Falcon and Ganon's recovery buffs, Bowser's armor system, etc.). Samus' weight, movement speed, and moveset all point to her being a character that is meant to play defensively and shut out opponents into bad positions (like Snake), not necessarily geared towards capitalizing on a mistake as hard as possible (like Fox/Falco). The ability to DJC, especially with the added option of choosing not to DJC, would make her, as you pointed out, more combo-oriented. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's a bad idea (again, I think it's interesting) nor do I think Samus wouldn't benefit from it, but I think it would make her too different from the way she plays in Melee. I haven't seen recent Samus videos/streams (last time I heard they were fixing bugs on her double jump and bomb jump IIRC), but I feel that there are other ways to buff her while retaining her playstyle, such as making USmash chain together more easily, giving homing missiles more agility, giving back her BAir from SSB64, making FAir harder to DI out of, etc.

Yoshi is beast. I hope he gets more attention after launch, because he's a very underrated character.
Regarding Yoshi, what decision was reached about his shield? Was his shield drop lag decreased or has he gained the ability to (freely) jump out of shield?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I think Yoshi was trolled in Melee so hard. He had lots of good things about him but not having a third jump and not having any OOS game made him crap-tier by default. :glare:

Rikana

Smash Champion
I like the post that melon brought up about samus. I'm really willing to try samus with djc but at the same time, I don't want her to alienate any samus vets.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I think Yoshi was trolled in Melee so hard. He had lots of good things about him but not having a third jump and not having any OOS game made him crap-tier by default. :glare:
So he got a new up special? A third jump? Super armor on the jump? All of the above?

Sir Combee

Smash Apprentice
This makes me so happy to hear. For the past 3 installments of Smash I have wanted Yoshi to be awesome and in every game he has always felt a bit on the derpy side in terms of practical usability. I was a Yoshi main in Melee, and therefore I had to accept his major flaws. The one that always bothered me the most was the lack of third jump after being hit out of a jump while recovering >.> Anyways, all I really want to say is YES! Yoshi won't suck! :D I don't know what changes you'll make to him, but I am sure they will be great

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Well that's kinda part of every fighting game.. that's why low tier top players are freaking awesome.. They are able to hide their weaknesses so well that they can destroy mostly everyone. It is about minimizing weaknesses, if you focus only on your strength then it's impossible to become strong. Greatest strength is a lack of weakness. If you have weaknesses in your play then it's easy to exploit.. IE, Patterns, etc. If every character is strong then that's boring.

shanus

Smash Hero
every time i read a post by Kage I feel like I need to instantly go to the gym and lift some heavy *** weights

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Personally I think Yoshi needs a jump OoS.

I mean he had it in Smash 64.

Also random idea.

Make egg toss cancel into down-B.

Purely random idea I got from playing Yoshi's Story the other day, since he can immediately ground pound after throwing an egg.

Perhaps it'd be useful in teams.

Stevo

Smash Champion
Yoshi's grab game should be much better with pivot grabs and a dash grab that doesn't go right through them if they are not in the perfect spot.
optional DJC, better recovery, better air attacks.
Yoshi will be fine.

I'm actually wondering how DK is going to do, because it is not as obvious what he needs to be better.

I'm thinking that RAR thing will help him approach with back air, and that with his new dash attack will help, and I guess the brawl forward-b is good too...

I think he needs his down-b to be a little quicker maybe? or maybe it is already quicker in brawl and it has been kept that way? I dunno, just a thought. In 64 he could use it to combo. Would not change the feel of DK either.

I'm sure Strong Bad is on it, though.

ajajayjay

Smash Journeyman
Between samuss improved zair, faster super missiles, and near lagless up b, I think samus is all set. A djc is kinda obscure/unneeded.

I do wish she could charge in the air tho, because EVERY other character can AND she could do it in her games.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Yo PM team,

not to rush you or anything

but wouldn't it be pretty cool if you got this out on December 3rd? the 10 year anniversary of Melee? =D

I'm sure this has come up in the past, but could you imagine how gaming websites would cover it? "Fan made labor of love toward Smash Bros Melee released on it's 10th anniversary". Awesome.
Although I don't see this happening this would be ****ing awesome!

Ecks

Smash Lord
My memory is a bit foggy, but didn't you guys make yoshi regain his double jump after side b?

I think the reason Samus can't charge in the air is because her projectile is too big. I'm not against it, but that was probably Sakurai's reason.

Vaerix

Smash Journeyman

Also random idea.

Purely random idea I got from playing Yoshi's Story the other day, since he can immediately ground pound after throwing an egg.

Jump out of shield would invariably be awesome, but I think there were problems in the coding of his shield that the coders are trying to work around.
Though, I think that Egg Toss should just have IASA frames instead. Though.. I'm not sure how spammable egg toss is already. If that'd be favorable, Yoshi'd get a few more options while at range when either approaching or retreating.

Lastly, I remember in streams/videos that Yoshi's grab is as fast as egg lay? either that or had its range.

lain

Smash Master
project melee is ****ing RAPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Stevo

Smash Champion
since demo 2 is going to have all the melee physics stuff, once that comes out I should be satisfied till the full game comes out, seeing as the only reason I don't pull out demo 1 and play right now is because it is so outdated now.

I really want to, but knowing landing detection and DI and the like are fixed makes me resist the urge.

also, Samus' up-b was changed?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089

Also random idea.

I wanted Yoshi to able to Aim his tongue above him like in Yoshi's Island, but we can't always get what we want. :(

In due time, we will be more open to reply to Yoshi discussion, but not right now.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Jump out of shield would invariably be awesome, but I think there were problems in the coding of his shield that the coders are trying to work around.
Though, I think that Egg Toss should just have IASA frames instead. Though.. I'm not sure how spammable egg toss is already. If that'd be favorable, Yoshi'd get a few more options while at range when either approaching or retreating.

Lastly, I remember in streams/videos that Yoshi's grab is as fast as egg lay? either that or had its range.
Make his fsmash Smash 64 strong.

aka RIDICULOUSLY powerful

Stevo

Smash Champion
parry window.

both parrying and not being able to jump out of shield keep Yoshi feeling unique, like he was in melee.

making parrying slightly easier and keeping no jumping out of shield preserves the uniqueness while still giving him more of an edge

MaxThunder

PM Support
Though i don't know anything about yoshi at all (apart from hacking the hell out of him in psa...) i vote parry... cause it sounds cooler...

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
parry window.

both parrying and not being able to jump out of shield keep Yoshi feeling unique, like he was in melee.

making parrying slightly easier and keeping no jumping out of shield preserves the uniqueness while still giving him more of an edge
This makes sense.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Yeah lol he is ridiculous, I've had to deal with his shenanigans for almost two years while he has been trying to teach me melee. I'm going to see if I can legitimately beat his yoshi tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom