• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
Will the air dodge retain its sensitivity from Brawl or will it be modified so you won't have to slam the darn shoulder button every time to perform a dodge? Or am I just imagining things and that the shoulder button sensitivity is still the same? I've been curious as to whether or not this was actually modified via hacks.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Gah, airdodging is way too sensitive in this. It definitely needs to be toned down. Barely passing over the R button with my right middle finger was enough to cause an airdodge.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I actually think it should be brought back down to melee/brawl sensitivity. I say this because some people like to keep the trigger half way pressed when they anticipate that they're going to have to tech soon.

It's not that big a deal though.

shanus

Smash Hero
The future iteration of the code will set a variable to let me disable soft presses (and program light shielding!) for air dodges. However, Dant hasn't gotten around to that yet.

@Rikana - just assume no melee wall tethering will be possible currently

kupo15

Smash Hero
I wish you could tech in melee with half presses and powershield while keeping AD as a full click. Dunno if that might "ruin" some tech precision that melee is famed for or whatnot.

shanus

Smash Hero
Technically right now everything is possible with light presses, with second generation code, we'll be able to fine tune it however we want.

jalued

Smash Lord
Technically right now everything is possible with light presses, with second generation code, we'll be able to fine tune it however we want.
is it possible to get rid of the annoying sensation in melee, where if u try to grab, it lightshields instead? its really annoying and im not sure exactly why it happens. Lightshields should be half press, as should ADing and teching, just like in melee

however, im not sure what lightshielding could actually be used for in such a fast paced game...it was useless in melee

I R MarF

Smash Ace
Looks very promising. Great work Shanus and all of those working on Project M!

Also, you should look into giving a/some character(s) the ability to up-b cancel like Dr. Mario could in Melee; specifically a character who lacks advanced techniques.

Turazrok

Smash Master
is it possible to get rid of the annoying sensation in melee, where if u try to grab, it lightshields instead? its really annoying and im not sure exactly why it happens. Lightshields should be half press, as should ADing and teching, just like in melee

however, im not sure what lightshielding could actually be used for in such a fast paced game...it was useless in melee
Marth edgehog?

ValTroX

Smash Ace
About the balance thing: Nerfing/buffing moves is inevitable if we want a balanced game and IMHO if you let a OP move carry on too much, people who use the character with the OP move will start complaining when it gets nerfed *remembers B+ 5.0 Ness players*.

I think the ONLY thing that should NOT change is the moveset, lets say you leave Ganondorf's brawl dark dive in, and then decide to change it back to melee's dark dive, that would certainly cause a problem to players. Other changes like Ganondorf's Dthrow in B+, was a dumb thing to do, sure you can change the angle, but not make an entirely different move than we are used to.

But I do think that balance should be made gradually, and sure, you can attend glitches/stupidly breaking stuff fast(like B+ near gold D3 and Samus) and just release other balance issues every month. Sorry I used B+ so much but it was the mod that almost all of us know and the easiest way I got to explain my points.

kupo15

Smash Hero
PS with half presses NOOOOOOO
tech with halfpress sure
i like keeping airdodge as a full click tho
Correction. FULL press PS but not to the click. That is what I meant. However, in this game where PS prob won't be as hard a melee, I guess to click.
a glitch that i agree was useful, but still is very situational. I dont understand what the original point of lightshielding was meant to be...
Hardly a glitch. :/

Turazrok

Smash Master
a glitch that i agree was useful, but still is very situational. I dont understand what the original point of lightshielding was meant to be...
Because Marth never winds up underneath the stage.

Lightshield lasts longer held without being hit. It also helps characters like GnW and DK who have bad shields.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Light shield gave you a larger shield but more pushback, I believe. More of a last ditch defensive tool. Certainly not a glitch.

jalued

Smash Lord
Because Marth never winds up underneath the stage.

Lightshield lasts longer held without being hit. It also helps characters like GnW and DK who have bad shields.
yes they last longer, but in such a fast paced game, there is no need for such a thing. It was a worse version of the normal shield, and DK/GW will have better shields now anyway... so why is it needed again?

with regard to marth...its just for that one matchup, hardly a reason for it to be in the game

i never said lightshielding was a glitch, i was refering to using it against marths recovery causing you to slide and grab the ledge

in high level play, when do you EVER see LS?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
yes they last longer, but in such a fast paced game, there is no need for such a thing. It was a worse version of the normal shield, and DK/GW will have better shields now anyway... so why is it needed again?

with regard to marth...its just for that one matchup, hardly a reason for it to be in the game

i never said lightshielding was a glitch, i was refering to using it against marths recovery causing you to slide and grab the ledge

Sorry, I misinterpreted your glitch comment. LSing is on the lower end of important techniques to implement, I agree, but it's still useful even in high level play. While not everyone has a bad shield, if one player is pressuring another sufficiently (not uncommon) then it's handy to avoid shield pokes on your small shield by LSing.

jalued

Smash Lord
Sorry, I misinterpreted your glitch comment. LSing is on the lower end of important techniques to implement, I agree, but it's still useful even in high level play. While not everyone has a bad shield, if one player is pressuring another sufficiently (not uncommon) then it's handy to avoid shield pokes on your small shield by LSing.
i dont think that is true, there is generally always a better option than staying in your shield: shine, jump, wd out, even rolling. Plus isnt LS in melee slower cooldown than normal anyway?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I suppose we can continue theory-crafting but I'll just say that I make good use of it when needed and I see it used in matches (not a ton, but) more than you're giving credit to. Next time I'm watching some good matches I'll keep a more alert eye open and link you some good examples.

jalued

Smash Lord
I suppose we can continue theory-crafting but I'll just say that I make good use of it when needed and I see it used in matches (not a ton, but) more than you're giving credit to. Next time I'm watching some good matches I'll keep a more alert eye open and link you some good examples.
im always open to being proved wrong :)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
i dont think that is true, there is generally always a better option than staying in your shield: shine, jump, wd out, even rolling. Plus isnt LS in melee slower cooldown than normal anyway?
What about the LS next to the edge thing with Falco? Ever heard of that? LS-->get hit-->bair, so sexy. LS helps against chars that shield poke well (Marth for example) and it helps when your shield is small after being hit to much.

jalued

Smash Lord
What about the LS next to the edge thing with Falco? Ever heard of that? LS-->get hit-->bair, so sexy. LS helps against chars that shield poke well (Marth for example) and it helps when your shield is small after being hit to much.
maybe im wrong, i just have never seen any real reason for it to exist. seems like a badly thought out nintendo idea to me, rather than a necessity

Cyan_Blau

Smash Apprentice
I also think that Light Shield could be inserted, because for just a single time when using shield the character has a full body shield.

That really useful, isn't it?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
light shields are actually fairly useful in melee for certain characters. Marth uses lightshields to get out of pillars :p. Some people lightshield Fox's nair so that they're out of shine range, as well as lightshielding spacies' dash attacks so that they don't go behind you.

There's lightshield edgehogging and lightshielding to prevent shield stabbing. It was not the MOST useful defense, but it was far from useless, and there's no reason to exclude it from the game (seriously, why are you arguing against more options?)

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Another use to lightshield is for when ppl return with invi from a lost stock. U stand in the edge of a platform with a LS. If they attack, u fall off and avoid further damage mostly and if they wavedash to grab u can predict that and jump/roll/spotdodge. Situational, yes, but its something. It is also used to escape falco's pillar shield pressure.

jalued

Smash Lord
Another use to lightshield is for when ppl return with invi from a lost stock. U stand in the edge of a platform with a LS. If they attack, u fall off and avoid further damage mostly and if they wavedash to grab u can predict that and jump/roll/spotdodge. Situational, yes, but its something. It is also used to escape falco's pillar shield pressure.
its used against falco's pillaring because it adds more hitlag and hence means the falco doesnt L-cancel? cause u can do that by tilting the normal shield as well...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It is not a worse version of the normal shield. It is a tradeoff. It is better and worse in different ways. It may give you fewer immediate retaliatory options but it also is virtually impossible to shieldpoke and it pushes you out of range of the next attack and thus gets you out of shield pressure better. Not to mention the many situational uses it has.

Why are you arguing against light-shielding so hard?

Watch some recent Melee matches. It gets used.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Light shield gave you a larger shield but more pushback, I believe. More of a last ditch defensive tool. Certainly not a glitch.
Don't forget that it also gave more shield stun as well, I'm pretty sure
maybe im wrong, i just have never seen any real reason for it to exist. seems like a badly thought out nintendo idea to me, rather than a necessity
It very well could just be a way to showcase the new analog shoulder buttons. But it does have a use. One could use lightshielding to prevent shield poking the lazy way. The more skilled way is to angle the hard shield. And as eveyone else said, the light shield can be used to throw off l canceling timing and to give you more space against shield pressure.

I knew you were referring to lightshield edge hogging tech as a glitch but that is completely untrue. There is this thing in the game called ASDI for shields (as well as getting hit) When you light shield against marth's up b, the up b hit imparts Shield ASDI in the direction you are holding the joystick (in this case towards the ledge) Because you are at the edge of the stage, the only place for you to go is to fall off the stage to the ledge. This also works for many many other moves like pills and even attacks.

So how again in the Marth killer a glitch?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Ahh, finally up and running again.
So, I see I missed LS discussion. Honestly, it's another way of creating depth for defense which is good. We want smart defense, not OP defense like Barlw's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom