• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxThunder

PM Support
lol i read that post waiting for the part that had something to do with P:M and got to the end and felt super disappointed
lol yeah... was no pm there... i did discuss it with one of the guys there (dunno who he was... but he was stuffing his turnips so far up my ***...)... he seemed interested when i told him about the stuff that's been fixed and stuff...

fun fact: to get in to desucon, i had to wait in line for 3 HOURS! next year imma buy a ticket in advance...

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
So in the hypothetical scenario that you guys get the clone engine to work and decide to work on mewtwo, are you guys going to leave his current move set more or less intact, or do you plan on a complete overhaul on his move set?

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I can't really comment on Mewtwo, but rest assured that if any character is included, he will be balanced. Not doing so would be half-*****.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
So in the hypothetical scenario that you guys get the clone engine to work and decide to work on mewtwo, are you guys going to leave his current move set more or less intact, or do you plan on a complete overhaul on his move set?
Would anyone else besides Dantarion even be able to complete the Clone Engine is the real question to ask. I don't doubt the coding ability of the PMBR, but I didn't think anyone besides Dant really knows what to do there.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
The PMBR has all of the CE codes, but Magus, Yeroc, Standardtoaster or some other coder in the group can possibly decipher it and continue it. But for now, it isn't something that we should focus our attention on.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I'm not asking you guys to focus your attention on trying to get the clone engine to work, I understand, the pmbr has far more pressing matters to attend to. I just wanted to state that I'm in direct opposition to him receiving a significant change in his move set, because I'm of the opinion that if he needed to be balanced, it could be done by simply adjusting some of his existing moves. I also wanted to know other people's opinion on this for simple discussion, mainly from the pmbr, but its not entirely necessary if this is answered at the moment, its not as important as say fixing glitches and balancing already existing characters. I just figured I'd throw something out there.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
regarding mario, i really think hes pretty balanced in his arsenal. really when it comes down to it, nobody has the quickest set of smash attacks, basic useful projectile, a reverse momentum gimping cape, and sick recovery options like him. (if you cant utilize his downb recovery then you just miss out on a good benefit)

he can walk casually and ftilt like crazy. i really cant even think of a better ftilt. maybe links is better cause its a less directional move. and his jabs are quick and a nice gtfo move. cant really ping out moves, but you dont jab to ping out anything other then another jab.

his most useless move is generally the downtilt, but everyother move has great purpose. downsmash is very quick (good for crouch cancelling and going right into it), but the only move id probably consider getting a change is his front smash... its quick (too quick?) and has nasty range. id say he has alot of safety with all his aerials if you miss the l-cancel. i mean seriously, just the dair has landing lag, but its decent for approaching someone on a platform. other wise, you can RAR your bair, and approach well with the nair and uair... personally, id much rather prefer a more solid reliable spike with his f-air, but im sure there was alot of discussion about the mechanics. the f-air should be talked about again... i mean mario is so balanced as it is, if he had a spike, it would be the cherry on top of his red hat.

i really think his only crappy matchups are a good ganondorf, and spacies are probably more about being aggro as heck (the story with most characters). i dont think he really horrible matchup though.

edit: yeah. mario can spike. but its more like docs drug punch then melee marios spike. and i suppose his dtilt is good but pretty situational. you will use it to lollipop someone up so you can blast him with a f-air.

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Don't worry Mr.Pickle, if they ever do manage to get both the clone engine and Mewtwo working, I will be able to tell them everything they need to get Mewtwo up to at least Marth's level.

On a side note, what are all the new down-b's to the Pokemon? Squirtle's I saw was Withdraw, and it basically acts like Oli's whistle that can be canceled with a jab, but what of Zard and Ivy? Also, did I notice that Lucaryu's counter had a speed buff so that it actually connects now?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
....it's nothing like Oli's whistle. you might as well compare it to ike's neutral b if you're doing it based solely on the armor
yes Lucario's counter got a bit of a speed buff. it's legit imo

ValTroX

Smash Ace
I can beat spacies with melee Mario, I have to give Mario:M more attention. I still have to live with adapting to the new fireball range and fair(as i was a Mario main in melee) butt he has SO many options and he kicks so much butt that's just amazing.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
On a side note, what are all the new down-b's to the Pokemon? Squirtle's I saw was Withdraw, and it basically acts like Oli's whistle that can be canceled with a jab, but what of Zard and Ivy? Also, did I notice that Lucaryu's counter had a speed buff so that it actually connects now?
What?! The PKMN got down specials? What happens to them when you pick the trainer? Also why is it that the footstool jump got moved to up taunt? I know its supposed to be like melee but this is one of the additions that felt.... Like an addition! It's very hard to get all the way there midair.

I R MarF

Smash Ace
i really think his only crappy matchups are a good ganondorf, and spacies are probably more about being aggro as heck (the story with most characters). i dont think he really horrible matchup though.
Ganondorf and Marth are Mario's worst MU's (easily). Both characters outclass him in range... anything Mario can do Ganon does better (fair, uair, ftilt), and Mario's recovery is VERY easy to intercept with a Marth fair/bair/nair.

However, Mario, like most characters, can go toe-to-toe with the spacies. Their recovery trajectories are easily exploited by Mario's cape and they can get juggled, CG'd, and gimped quite easily. On the flipside though, Falco can spike Mario's recovery with little struggle and Fox can beat Mario with his upward KO power (since Mario doesn't have a lot of strong attacks that hit below him) as well as shine-spiking

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
^ I actually used Ganon to beat Boss's Mario in one match in the tourney (on Yoshi's of course)

Err no wait, I beat his Luigi with Ganon. He beat my Ganon with Mario.

he can walk casually and ftilt like crazy. i really cant even think of a better ftilt.
ROB says hi.

So we did a P:M tourney at CoT5.

Edit: Found full results! Videos coming soon.

1: Boss :mario2: :luigi2:
2: JCaesar :rob: :ganondorf:
3: vVv ChiboSempai :sheik:
4: Dark Peach :peach:
5: Gunblade :fox: :marth:
5: GIMR :diddy:
7: Aposl :squirtle:
7: Thunderhorse+ :falco:
9: vVv Cheese
9: Count Kaiser :ness2:
9: CMart :bowser2: :squirtle:
9: nuke :fox: :marth:
13: Jtails
13: Sharky
13: Supreme Dirt :toonlink: :snake:
13: Xzax (forfeited from losers to focus on mid tiers)

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
Also why is it that the footstool jump got moved to up taunt? I know its supposed to be like melee but this is one of the additions that felt.... Like an addition! It's very hard to get all the way there midair.
Included in the codeset is the unrestricted button mapping code. You can use it to map up taunt to any button. Makes taunt canceling easier too.

jalued

Smash Lord
^ I actually used Ganon to beat Boss's Mario in one match in the tourney (on Yoshi's of course)

Err no wait, I beat his Luigi with Ganon. He beat my Ganon with Mario.

ROB says hi.

So we did a P:M tourney at CoT5.

Edit: Found full results! Videos coming soon.

1: Boss :mario2: :luigi2:
2: JCaesar :rob: :ganondorf:
3: vVv ChiboSempai :sheik:
4: Dark Peach :peach:
5: Gunblade :fox: :marth:
5: GIMR :diddy:
7: Aposl :squirtle:
7: Thunderhorse+ :falco:
9: vVv Cheese
9: Count Kaiser :ness2:
9: CMart :bowser2: :squirtle:
9: nuke :fox: :marth:
13: Jtails
13: Sharky
13: Supreme Dirt :toonlink: :snake:
13: Xzax (forfeited from losers to focus on mid tiers)
that is a very varied list of characters :) This was the beta right with LD etc?

Im wondering how many more fundimental changes are actually required? There are sticky rolls, roll up animation, tether grabs and glitches from landing detection.

Other than character specific changes, is this all that is left to fix?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Included in the codeset is the unrestricted button mapping code. You can use it to map up taunt to any button. Makes taunt canceling easier too.
Why was it changed? No matter how I try it its always harder then just hitting up or jump above a character.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Why was it changed? No matter how I try it its always harder then just hitting up or jump above a character.
Because that means that if you want to jump while being near an opponent, you have no choice but to footstool, even if you wouldn't like to. It prevents accidental footstools, particularly in teams where its more chaotic.

Footstooling should be an optional tactic you have control over, not something you're force to make a decision on based on character positioning.

T'is my take anyhow.

Ecks

Smash Lord
I've got a ton of vids from the tourney, I'll get them uploaded in the next few days or so.
Please do so. I want to see Kaiser's matches.

Well, I want to see all of them actually. Project M tourneys will end up very varied indeed.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf and Marth are Mario's worst MU's (easily). Both characters outclass him in range... anything Mario can do Ganon does better (fair, uair, ftilt), and Mario's recovery is VERY easy to intercept with a Marth fair/bair/nair.

However, Mario, like most characters, can go toe-to-toe with the spacies. Their recovery trajectories are easily exploited by Mario's cape and they can get juggled, CG'd, and gimped quite easily. On the flipside though, Falco can spike Mario's recovery with little struggle and Fox can beat Mario with his upward KO power (since Mario doesn't have a lot of strong attacks that hit below him) as well as shine-spiking
i totally agree. i didnt really mention marth, but he is a rough matchup. mostly because of all his disjointed aerials, and attacks. he will easily dair a mario. marth definitely must be the worst matchup right next to ganon. ganon is just mean.

but yeah, its fairly simple to cape fox and falcos recovery, but it totally is balanced out by the fact marios upb gives falco 1 measly coin before mario dies to falcos dair. and with fox, same principle... fox is a hawk when he covers the ground to get underneath mario.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Because that means that if you want to jump while being near an opponent, you have no choice but to footstool, even if you wouldn't like to. It prevents accidental footstools, particularly in teams where its more chaotic.

Footstooling should be an optional tactic you have control over, not something you're force to make a decision on based on character positioning.

T'is my take anyhow.
You mean if I wanna double jump? Because single jumps never register that way.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
my next little praise would probably be in the form of G&w. i really cannot see too many glaring weaknesses with him... the only thing seems to be he is the only one in the demo who cannot snap the ledge with his back to it. the dude has a pretty reliable and quick upb for deterring aerial approaches, and his jab (smoke em out) seems to ping out alot of moves, not to mention it easily will throw 10-15 damage out there repeatedly.

i think his sideB comes out a bit faster then melee, because it really seems that you can throw it out there generally and connect with it pretty well. he has a nice sex side tilt, and his dtilt is pretty quick with decent range... it also seems to have a decent duration which helps from idiots trying to approach from underneath when youre on a platform.

id really have to say i think again ganon would probably be his worst matchup... and a campy link would definitely eat his sausages. ganon is about as quick as g&w but can just meet with all his aerials and g&w will die before ganon will. link can just run and sh a bunch of smart boomerangs, and his nair has decent range for approaching g&W. zelda seems like an ez mode character but i think she would somehow be a rough matchup for him as well. haha can we give g&w back his astronaut space deep sea diving helmet back?

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
What?! The PKMN got down specials? What happens to them when you pick the trainer? Also why is it that the footstool jump got moved to up taunt? I know its supposed to be like melee but this is one of the additions that felt.... Like an addition! It's very hard to get all the way there midair.
Smashbro I hate to say it but PKMN trainer is cut unless hes going to be used in some other way. (its not my words but its what the devs decided.) But according to the Dev's can't have both Poketrainer + the new downB indie pokemon. something happens to prohibit it. It might be possible to have him with a different line up of pokemon models like the Totodile vertex edit I've seen but still it would require the clone engine which in sense seems like a lot of work to do to bring back PKMNTrainer.

On the topic of mario atleast in the demo I can agree he is a monster. Especially with that cape. That thing alone makes me afraid to pick some characters in the roster. Well atleast in the demo.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
my next little praise would probably be in the form of G&w. i really cannot see too many glaring weaknesses with him... the only thing seems to be he is the only one in the demo who cannot snap the ledge with his back to it.
He can, just airdodge to go into special fall.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
because random footstools are pretty damn stupid. Accidental kills that you don't deserve, being launched 50 feet into the air when you don't want to be so you have to fight your way back to the ground, and they look really silly.
They only left it in because it can make for cool shield break combos and gives a meteor to characters who lack it, albeit a pretty ****ing hard to land meteor.

I generally leave it alone. Who cares about that bomb footstool combo I practiced <_< I have.. MELEE SPIN ATTACK

YESSSSS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom