• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Ulevo, the Ontario brawl scene is actually pretty healthy again.

Though a lot of us are just waiting on a full release of Project: M or being annoyed that there's no competitive scene for Brawl Minus, or both.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
sneak, no one quits melee forever. also, if you are feeling burnt out, take a break, it will help. I haven't played smash since zenith.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
I think what it really boils down to is polish. If something looks polished enough where it is nearly impossible to tell that anything isn't exactly how it is supposed to be, every animation is completely smooth, there are no bugs, the menus are completely polished, etc etc, then it will be a lot harder to simply brush P:M off as a mod.

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
It's also the little things that can turn some melee players off. Such as character animations. The hitbox timings and everything may be 100% ported, but it is not the exact melee animation.

Beorn4200

Smash Apprentice
It's also the little things that can turn some melee players off. Such as character animations. The hitbox timings and everything may be 100% ported, but it is not the exact melee animation.
That's just ridiculous. What about sequels to other fighting games? They change the characters and animation a good bit of the time. Is the magic really in how the game looks?

SHOTTYGURU

Smash Apprentice
well as of now im meeting up with some friends of mine and there going to get their hands on PM for
the first time so only thing im hoping for is good reaction and great feedback they also were big on MELEE so their anxious to get their hands on with it ...one plus is that everyone thats coming has there main on the demo. In other words if they like it they will introduce it their melee friends back home and their we go the community for PM increases =)

by the way im really enjoying G&W lately hes going to be a favorite i see it coming!

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Even if the 'new' animation gives the move more range. An example of this is link's utilt and dash attack.

:phone:

Have any Link players complained about these buffs?

I think that the fact of the matter is you'll never be able to please everyone. As some people have already said, there are some melee characters that are already a lot more fun to use in this game then in Brawl or Melee. Of course fun is subjective, but the type of people who are going to nitpick about animations being not Melee, are the people who wouldn't play this mod if it was 100% Melee in every way, just because you have to use a Brawl disc. I say, who needs those people? The fact of the matter is, if when Brawl came out, it was better then Melee, then (pretty much) nobody would be playing Melee. Those same people who went back to Melee because Brawl was inferior, deciding not to play Project:M if it is superior, because of slight animation differences that may not be Melee perfect but still look extremely polished, is completely laughable. Let them play whatever they want lol.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Ulevo, the Ontario brawl scene is actually pretty healthy again.

Though a lot of us are just waiting on a full release of Project: M or being annoyed that there's no competitive scene for Brawl Minus, or both.
I'll be honest, the only reason most of the players in the ON area (at least in the Niagara/GTA area) play Brawl as opposed to Melee is because its easy. The players who win play because its easy money and a social excuse plus some recognition, and the players below them aspire to be recognized like them and choose Brawl because they feel its an easier shot than picking up something that takes skill like Street Fighter.

I'm not saying they don't have any fun with Brawl, but that's the vibe I always got at tournaments. It's why I left. It'd be nice if that same trend didn't carry over when Project M is released.

Also, you don't want a competitive scene for Brawl Minus. It lead to tactics that are even more repulsive than the ones used in regular vBrawl.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I suppose. I just wish there were some kind of penalty to hardcore camping in them. Really pisses me off having to deal with Pit gliding everywhere and plinking me with arrows. vBrawl Pit is SO MUCH FUN to play against.

And Ulevo, some of us just don't have the time to dedicate to learning techskill, so Brawl works much better. I'm actually physically incapable of maining Fox (well I could, but I'd be terribad), my hands CAN NOT work fast enough, combination of mental and physical disabilities there. And what with Project: M seemingly dedicated to introducing techskill barriers to characters who had much smaller ones in Melee (see: Zelda), not much I can do. So I can either play Melee and be doomed to be bad (or play Jiggs, who I don't really enjoy), play Brawl and deal with random BS (I main Dedede, you have no idea how frustrating it is [or do you?] to pull a Gordo instead of a waddle, thus completely missing because it's trajectory is different, random tripping, the BS that is Yoshi's Island Brawl, etc), or play Brawl Minus and not have a scene to compete in. SF and other traditional fighting games are mostly out of the question because the whole being unable to have techskill + not actually enjoying them.

Then there's Smash 64, which almost nobody plays offline any more and I can't play online because my computer sucks. Also because console is better in every way.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Not that I've ever been a fan of people saying they can't do something, but for the sake of humoring you; why involve yourself in something halfheartedly? Why play Brawl knowing you're playing something you don't enjoy, knowing you're more or less putting up with its shortcomings and problems for SOME reason outside of personal enjoyment? And with that note, why involve yourself in the Project M scene if you know you can't compete in a Melee scene?

I mean, do what you want. Just was never a fan of competing in a scene with groups of people who were content on playing the ****tier game for reasons mentioned when they weren't even having fun.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I legitimately can't. I have slow reaction time (which I've been told that I can't really improve all that much, mental disabilities) and premature arthritis or whatever it's actually called when you have arthritis at 19.

I do enjoy Brawl for the most part... Except when somebody is wholeheartedly trying to time me out, I'm playing Ness and somebody cancels out PKT with a ****ing wind effect, or something ******** like YI:Brawl happens. Also Metaknight.

Also Ulevo, the only characters I really truly enjoy playing as in Melee are Mewtwo and Yoshi, but Yoshi has this one little shortcoming of being unable to jump out of shield, and the team has no intention of adding back in Mewtwo. Yeah, I could learn to deal with the lack of jump OoS (I am in Brawl, which is hard since it's an inherently defensive game and Yoshi is inherently offensive), but there's no real way for me to practice in P:M.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I legitimately can't. I have slow reaction time (which I've been told that I can't really improve all that much, mental disabilities) and premature arthritis or whatever it's actually called when you have arthritis at 19.

I do enjoy Brawl for the most part... Except when somebody is wholeheartedly trying to time me out, I'm playing Ness and somebody cancels out PKT with a ****ing wind effect, or something ******** like YI:Brawl happens. Also Metaknight.

Also Ulevo, the only characters I really truly enjoy playing as in Melee are Mewtwo and Yoshi, but Yoshi has this one little shortcoming of being unable to jump out of shield, and the team has no intention of adding back in Mewtwo. Yeah, I could learn to deal with the lack of jump OoS (I am in Brawl, which is hard since it's an inherently defensive game and Yoshi is inherently offensive), but there's no real way for me to practice in P:M.
So you're going to listen to other people while never doing the experiment yourself going all the way? *Shakes head* You can only trust yourself.

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
Supreme Dirt - the only Melee characters you could conceivably be unable to play because of a tech skill barrier are fox, falco, and maybe ICs. Every other character is totally reasonable to learn even for people with slow fingers. Obviously tech skill always helps but the necessary amount is basically only really high with the spacies. I just don't buy that excuse.

In addition in P:M you'll have the ability (although probably not in most tournaments) to play with buffer, which makes fancy techs much much easier. My tech skill is hardly great, but with enough frames of buffer even I can waveshine. It just takes practice.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I have been trying to improve my reaction time. And it is improving.

But extremely slowly. Far too slowly to be practical for getting better at something as technical as Melee.

Also I'd never actually main Fox. I don't enjoy playing as him.

Also buffer is BS. I would be playing in tournaments. I want to compete, it's a fighting game, that is what you do in fighting games.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I have been trying to improve my reaction time. And it is improving.

But extremely slowly. Far too slowly to be practical for getting better at something as technical as Melee.

Also I'd never actually main Fox. I don't enjoy playing as him.

Also buffer is BS. I would be playing in tournaments. I want to compete, it's a fighting game, that is what you do in fighting games.
Improving reaction time is largely about experience btw. The better you are, the easier it is to see everything that's going on so you can react accordingly.. It's not about always making snappy decisions. I can't play Fox either, my fingers are too slow as well... but that's no excuse to find someone you can play and do really well with him.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
^^And you are kinda the proof of that... i guess...
Oh no.. every top player is proof of that. When you basically know every situation possible in smash then it's much easier to react to them... it's either you can prevent a situation from happening or you can counter-attack the situation or wait until it happens and then do something. The technical barrier is merely doing things you want to do at the right times, you don't need to be super technical to win, you just need enough technical to execute your strategy flawlessly without choking a waveland or something you know? That definitely comes with character choice... how good can you do everything you want to at the right times? =P

MaxThunder

PM Support
Oh no.. every top player is proof of that. When you basically know every situation possible in smash then it's much easier to react to them... it's either you can prevent a situation from happening or you can counter-attack the situation or wait until it happens and then do something. The technical barrier is merely doing things you want to do at the right times, you don't need to be super technical to win, you just need enough technical to execute your strategy flawlessly without choking a waveland or something you know? That definitely comes with character choice... how good can you do everything you want to at the right times? =P
That's all true... though i was mostly refering to the part where you said your fingers are too slow to play fox, but you play someone else(ganon) that you do really (really awezomely) well with...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
That's all true... though i was mostly refering to the part where you said your fingers are too slow to play fox, but you play someone else(ganon) that you do really (really awezomely) well with...
Well in the beginning i would think that but I mean I was also obviously more willing to play Ganon all the time since it fits my playstyle the best. I like moves that destroys people, it feels nice. All Ganon's moves do that lol. So i mean I wasn't willing to put hours on end with Fox practicing basic tech skill, meh. I mean I still think I can but it'll require a lot of practice, I did it with Falco instead for a while now. I like to play Falco at times.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
pure reaction time is fairly irrelevant in Smash, what's more important is your reaction time to a specific animation or movement and your ability to make a decision quickly rather than "OH THE SCREEN TURNED GREEN" like most reaction time tests do.
additionally, Supreme Dirt, we have never officially said we weren't adding Mewtwo.... but we haven't said we are either =P

Ulevo

Smash Master
I'd add more but these guys pretty much covered it. Also, I'd rather not go in to detail because it'd be completely off topic and I'd rant for days, but any physical or mental limitations you think you have can be overcome with simple nutrition, taking care of yourself, confidence, and not relying on other peoples opinions more than your own. Which you seem to do quite frequently.

I'd still encourage you to play P:M but, ah well. C'est la vie.

MaxThunder

PM Support
yah... ganon's moves destroys people=)... i also like destroying people... though the thing i like the most is running around killin people with a sword=)...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Wahhhh.

I have crap tech skill and reaction time. Watch any match of me vs Thunderhorse, who has much better technical abilities than me but lacks Melee experience. Or the MM between me and Sneak. He also has vastly superior tech skill, but he didn't know the ROB matchup, whereas I had plenty of experience vs his characters. That's ultimately what it comes down to. Practicing against real people and learning the matchups.

9 times out of 10 when I "read" someone, I'm predicting what they're going to do next based on their previous actions, not reacting to what they do.

the team has no intention of adding back in Mewtwo.
Who told you that? The biggest thing holding Mewtwo back is finding a way to fully implement him without sacrificing anything.

Improving reaction time is largely about experience btw. The better you are, the easier it is to see everything that's going on so you can react accordingly.. It's not about always making snappy decisions. I can't play Fox either, my fingers are too slow as well... but that's no excuse to find someone you can play and do really well with him.
^^This so hard.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
seriously, supremedirt, check out jceasar. months ago, he looks like a totally different player then he does now. im sure he barely got a bit more technical, but seriously, its all about practice, and muscle memory. ive gotten a bit more fluid and solid every time i boot up melee or P:M.

Really, all it comes down to, is this: Once P:M comes out (or even the new demo), if its fun enough (figuratively speaking), and you clock in enough hours with a character, playing a couple different humans, its inevitable: you will get better. even if you have a handicap or whatever, you WILL get better. then its solely based on the drive you have to become better then the dude next to you.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
I mean seriously tho, there's a kids who can't even use his hands and was top 5 for melee and brawl in texas lol. None of this matters. If your hands are too slow, man up and use your face. Broly is clearly the manliest smasher of all time. I mean, that's just legendary

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Blech, hate it when I get like that.

I'm like a whole other person when I'm depressed.

Also I'd totally forgotten about Broly.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I mean seriously tho, there's a kids who can't even use his hands and was top 5 for melee and brawl in texas lol. None of this matters. If your hands are too slow, man up and use your face. Broly is clearly the manliest smasher of all time. I mean, that's just legendary

Heh a real man does anything to achieve his dreams. =)

Blech, hate it when I get like that.

I'm like a whole other person when I'm depressed.

Also I'd totally forgotten about Broly.
A powerful person is someone that always tries.

BuraiHell

Smash Apprentice
Who did what with their face? Explain plz o.O

I do hope Dant will at least help finish before he leaves =\
CLONE ENGINE DX
LANDING DETE--- oh wait. Magus out-wizard'd him. <_<
PICHU
ETFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom