• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
Good morning everybody ^^
Good morning Strong Bad, and everyone else!
While everyone is talking about their sleep deprivation, now seems like it'd be a good time to post this video.
Tournament is live
http://challonge.com/Smash_ArcadeCafe
Stream should be up soon
Didn't the tournament start 2 1/2 hours ago, why did it take so long?
No.PNG

No.
No problem. Just try not to fall asleep in durring the final.
@ Kurogal Kurogal Super late reply, but I got another part time Job, going to be an assistant coach on out city's rec teams, and going to run some kayaking/stand up paddle boarding classes.

Can't decide If I should look for a 3rd part time job, I know I can fit everything in with school next semester, but I dont know if I can handle the work load.
A late reply is better than none. But what is the first job, and should you really be taking on that many jobs while in school? Two is probably enough unless you really really need money.
My research is borne solely out of my own interest in the subject. I'm fortunate enough the have the opportunity to do that. As far as games go...I've got a wide variety of genres I'm interested in. I've got a group of people I collaborate with on different projects, but we have yet to release a full game. Granted, we only formed like..two months ago. It's a side project, we'll see where it goes.
If I stay as a researcher, that means I'd be going for my PhD. As nice as it would be to do so, I don't know if I want to keep jumping through higher academia's hoops for the majority of my prime adult life. Software Engineer is a position in a company. I make programs and applications for them, maintain currently existing IT infrastructure(not all of it, usually a certain aspect of it), or work on projects that require my talents. Stuff like that.

I'm looking forward to it!

I think I've heard the name of the show somewhere, but I doubt I've ever seen it. And I'm glad to hear I didn't offend you.

I've had dreams with on-going story arcs before. I actually remember them better, since my mind continually goes back to that narrative. They're honestly my favorite kinds of dreams, it's like reading a book.
Hm, so why have you become interested in AI research? And can you go into more detail about what you mean by fortunate? There's a lot of things that we can be grateful for, so it's hard to tell exactly what people mean sometimes.
So how big is that group, and is it still growing? What projects have you been working on? And you say different, but how many are there? If there's a lot being worked on at once nothing will ever actually get released.
And I guess you may as well if it's within your reach, it'll probably be the best choice.
So did you learn the skill you'd need to be software engineer from researching AI? And what applications do you think you'd need to make?

And I got some sleep now, but I have some things I need to do today, so feel free to start the conversation yourself and I'll reply when I have the time depending on how much I end up needing to do today.

And it's pretty old at this point, so if you have heard about it it's probably been a while (and it's hard to get good merchandise for it now). And no problem, I don't usually get that offended by normal questions.
I can also go into more detail about everything if you want. Like my avatar was drawn by Kitsune-Tsuki (Also known as Getter) to add to that.
Oh, and how long have you been awake? That Smooth Criminal post about that made me wonder that.

Helsong

Smash Ace
Hm, so why have you become interested in AI research? And can you go into more detail about what you mean by fortunate? There's a lot of things that we can be grateful for, so it's hard to tell exactly what people mean sometimes.
So how big is that group, and is it still growing? What projects have you been working on? And you say different, but how many are there? If there's a lot being worked on at once nothing will ever actually get released.
And I guess you may as well if it's within your reach, it'll probably be the best choice.
So did you learn the skill you'd need to be software engineer from researching AI? And what applications do you think you'd need to make?

And I got some sleep now, but I have some things I need to do today, so feel free to start the conversation yourself and I'll reply when I have the time depending on how much I end up needing to do today.

And it's pretty old at this point, so if you have heard about it it's probably been a while (and it's hard to get good merchandise for it now). And no problem, I don't usually get that offended by normal questions.
I can also go into more detail about everything if you want. Like my avatar was drawn by Kitsune-Tsuki (Also known as Getter) to add to that.
Oh, and how long have you been awake? That Smooth Criminal post about that made me wonder that.
It's just something that fascinated me. The way computers think, how to map out logical thought processes, etc. Researching AI design is something that helps me learn more. I'm fortunate because I get to research something that I'm directly interested, solely because I can. It's not out of some obligation, it's what I want to learn more about, and I'm doing it at a high level.
My group is about 5 people. We're in the early design stages of a project right now, but nothing concrete yet or anything that I'm willing to talk about. When I said I was interested in multiple genres, that didn't mean I was actually working on multiple games at once, haha. The projects I mentioned are previous things, not necessarily games. We formed mostly because we realized we kept on coming to each other for advice on personal projects and hobby works.
I learned the skills I needed to get a job in the industry from my undergrad work, along with the internships I did then. My grad work and research is solely for my own benefit and to explore different branches of my field. An undergraduate degree from most any university is usually enough to prep you to go into your field, at least at an entry level, if not slightly better. A graduate degree allows you to explore more, and assert that you've become more educated in your field, allowing you to land better jobs, go into teaching roles, etc. More flexibility.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

drakargx

Smash Journeyman
>Calc II
>A

Alright, just whose **** did you suck?
Considering the last test we did + final wasn't too good for me, I'm guessing I ended up getting a B+ but she bumped it up to an A because she does that sometimes

She was a really good teacher who actually tried to explain everything in normal english talk, and didn't grade homework but made your life hell on quiz/test day if you didn't which is different than just assigning homework I think

she was also really good in bed ;)

/s

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm late to the party but I also got an A in Calc 2. I got a 47% on one test (the 1 after Big House 3 where I got into a car accident and didn't really study or do homework things) but made up for it by having my final replace that test grade.

Helsong

Smash Ace
I took Calc 1 and 2 in high school where the grading wasn't as tough and I had a teacher who actually cared about teaching. Got an A+. Calc 3 in university wasn't too bad either, although it did require a bit more effort. Still, got an A+. gg, nerds.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I'm late to the party but I also got an A in Calc 2. I got a 47% on one test (the 1 after Big House 3 where I got into a car accident and didn't really study or do homework things) but made up for it by having my final replace that test grade.
****ing nerd >: C

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
I just found out I might need braces. ****, I'm already nerdy enough.

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
So apparently MVG Revelations 2 (more like Revelaitons amirite?) is looking to be another disaster with nowhere near enough setups and logistics still not finalized just before the tourney.

@zman804 you're going to that to stream PM right? Good luck man, hopefully you get to have grand finals this time :/

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I just found out I might need braces. ****, I'm already nerdy enough.
Can you name every part of the Death Star?

No? Hand in your nerd card, Boba Fett underwear, Spock ears, Optimus Prime helmet, and X-Men action figure collection. :glare:

Braces definitely suck, at least they come off (eventually).

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I feel like Sethlon should get a red name. He doesn't have to be a moderator, but he should get a red name.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
guys...in case no one even thought about it. today is the 47th day after 3.6 trailer

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
So apparently MVG Revelations 2 (more like Revelaitons amirite?) is looking to be another disaster with nowhere near enough setups and logistics still not finalized just before the tourney.

@zman804 you're going to that to stream PM right? Good luck man, hopefully you get to have grand finals this time :/
11 melee setups confirmed for 127 melee entrants. Idk who made the schedule/logistics for it (juggle guy made sandstorms, btw, we just didn't know we had 2 less hours day 2) but I know the guy who's TOing it and he's really cool. I think they will do fine?

Worst comes to worst zman knows how to run the stream and call matches lol

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
It's that day of the week again.

Lol is bleck seriously that horrible of a person?:estatic::estatic::estatic: 2nd time his name popped up for some bull**** here.
Of course not, he's just hilariously opinionated, like most here.
Convincing my boyfriend to let me go to paragon was easy
I'll bet.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
*snip* In other news,

So glad I'm getting As, this semester sucked. Having to wake up for physics at 8am every day of the week and then getting tired at around 5pm was getting to me
http://www51.atpages.jp/kancollev/kcplayer.php?c=78v26

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
The front page today just reminds me that throughout the years the most enduring childhood anime for the vast majority is Cowboy Bebop, probably because it is in many ways very unlike your typical anime. It doesn't just borrow stuff from the West for stylistic purposes but lives in it with the wide variety of music and film genre parodies and multicultural communities living together in (dis)harmony. It is better in representing that than almost any American sci-fi movie like Blade Runner or show like Firefly which have a much narrower vision of the future.

And while Bebop does have dramatic action-packed fights against supervillains like Vicious or Vincent, it for the most part stays away from any all encompassing plotline as the series is just people scrounging together a living against the odds and trying to get away from their messed up pasts to build a future. But are forced to confront them due to circumstances. Only the film Knockin' on Heaven's Door really gets away from that because a movie has to tell a complete story in 3 acts. Still a good flick though with a lot of atmosphere.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
all these posts about doing well in school and I get a B+ in the one class I took this semester and recently got put on work suspension

how do you people do it

Helsong

Smash Ace
all these posts about doing well in school and I get a B+ in the one class I took this semester and recently got put on work suspension

how do you people do it
By not talking about my failures. I've got plenty of them, but I'll only really ever talk about my accomplishments. Makes you look strong.

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
Im in gf, again, this is dumb
And you won it and got a half eaten sandwich as your prize!
I genuinely mean congratulations though, pretty good for your second tournament.
It's just something that fascinated me. The way computers think, how to map out logical thought processes, etc. Researching AI design is something that helps me learn more. I'm fortunate because I get to research something that I'm directly interested, solely because I can. It's not out of some obligation, it's what I want to learn more about, and I'm doing it at a high level.
My group is about 5 people. We're in the early design stages of a project right now, but nothing concrete yet or anything that I'm willing to talk about. When I said I was interested in multiple genres, that didn't mean I was actually working on multiple games at once, haha. The projects I mentioned are previous things, not necessarily games. We formed mostly because we realized we kept on coming to each other for advice on personal projects and hobby works.
I learned the skills I needed to get a job in the industry from my undergrad work, along with the internships I did then. My grad work and research is solely for my own benefit and to explore different branches of my field. An undergraduate degree from most any university is usually enough to prep you to go into your field, at least at an entry level, if not slightly better. A graduate degree allows you to explore more, and assert that you've become more educated in your field, allowing you to land better jobs, go into teaching roles, etc. More flexibility.
Hm, I see, I think I kinda see what you mean, although why would you be obligated to learn about AI, or anything beyond basics like language though? And just how high level are things right now for you?
I mean, I guess I'm kinda obligated to learn some things, like certain languages at the moment, but I do have interests in learning those languages as well so I definitely wish I could do that a high level.
I see. So how long do you think you'll be planning before you start working on something, will you try and plan the entire game out first or will you decide on a base and then start working on it right away? How often do you get together to plan? And did the group form all at once when you started realizing it, or bit by bit over time?
And what was undergrad work like, especially starting out?
And I can't remember if I asked this earlier, but when do you plan to sleep, just how long have you been awake if you're still up after I slept?
Also I need to go and like, actually be productive now, if I come back within 1 1/2 to 2 hours it probably means I'm slacking even more. So have a good day/night!
Oh, and feel free to bring other flame war starting topics into that conversation as well if you end up starting it before I do, although it'll be hard to talk about more than one subject at a time. And I also don't know where to begin so it'll be a while before I start it if you leave it up to me.

Last edited:

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
11 melee setups confirmed for 127 melee entrants. Idk who made the schedule/logistics for it (juggle guy made sandstorms, btw, we just didn't know we had 2 less hours day 2) but I know the guy who's TOing it and he's really cool. I think they will do fine?

Worst comes to worst zman knows how to run the stream and call matches lol
My young boy MattDotZeb handled logistics. Though it seems like things are working out better and through some peer pressuring to get the tournament to run smoother they were able to acquire more setups. Only for Melee though. Smash Wii U and PM look to be on the same original schedule.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
So uh, I won a trip to qatar to a bigger tournament.

Now it depends on my parents if I can go or not

Top Bottom