• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I'm new to smash coming from other fighting games like SF4, UMVC3, etc and I'm looking to pick up a character who will help me learn the game. I'm curious what characters people recommend to learn the fundamentals of the game before trying harder to play characters. Like in SF4 there is Ryu, Balrog, and a few others to help teach the basics before you move on to a higher skill cap character. What characters do you feel fit the "fundamental" character roles in this game?
as others have said, mario and shiek are both really good learning fundamentals characters, and i'd endorse them.

definitely wouldn't recommend ganon for a starting character, unless you just really luuuuuuuuuurv you some ganon ;x

Spralwers

Smash Ace
As someone who is using Ganon as a starter character, I highly recommend NOT using Ganon as a starter character. The sort of good part though is that as you get used to him, playing any other character will feel like taking off weighted clothing.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I started off with Falco as my first serious character when Brawl came out. IDGAF and had a character crisis in tourney beforehand when I was starting out before I decide to bite the bullet and went with Falco. Sometimes you gonna pick your favorites and pray that they are top tier Kappa.

As for racing games Crash Team Racing, Jak X, F-Zero GX, MKDS and MKDD are real man racing games especially F-Zero GX. I kinda hate Mario Kart at times cause it kinda killed the F-Zero series somewhat :( .

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
As for racing games Crash Team Racing, Jak X, F-Zero GX, MKDS and MKDD are real man racing games especially F-Zero GX. I kinda hate Mario Kart at times cause it kinda killed the F-Zero series somewhat :( .
For shame. I've been told GX is great. I should try it. Hopefully Mario Kart 8 is my kind of game. I still haven't found a racing game that at least matches CTR (in my opinion), and the Wii U bundle is looking mighty fancy. I'm kind of disappointed because only Europe gets Monster Hunter and Wonderful 101 as download options though.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Ganon isn't a good fundamentals character.
Ganondorf is a good "I want to act like I have good fundamentals" character, but what you're really doing is playing the game on hard mode. Learning good Smash fundamentals is already hard enough.
I don't know whether this makes me proud of the fact that I solo-main Ganon, or if...

Hmmm...

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Everyone take a moment out of your day to watch this.

http://www.twitch.tv/d1mx/c/4167245
2 black guys jamming and dancing to F-Zero remixes. Proof that F-Zero have some godlike music.

And speaking of F-Zero remixes and OST/AST here's my favorite so far that it's my ringtone on my phone.

And another one that I really like.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
IMO using a "learning character" isn't going to help you get better. You should pick which character you want to use and learn how to play the game with that character.

But of course different learning methods work for different people.

F-Zero GX is another racing game I like. Snaking can really diminish the difficulty, though.
I don't think you're using the word "diminish" correctly.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
be proud, imo : p

especially if it's because you think ganon's top tier for fun, like i do.
Well, aside from just being top tier for fun, he's got those fantastic top tier boots.

Too bad they're attached to that bottom tier body.

Last edited:

Lorenzo The Comic

Smash Journeyman
some place pronounced like a Pokémon Website
NNID
OutboundKid
Don't people learn from their idiocy by now?
Not the autistic person that I am, no. BrettH123 only played MvC3 a few times. The only really bad thing about SF4 and MvC3 was the netcode from my experience. I meant "lessen" not "diminish". Was thinking of Flying Omelette's Ninja Gaiden Trilogy review.

Last edited:

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
The cafeteria food is supplied by Sodexo (prison food company iirc). We have a fancier place to eat that has fresh fruits and higher end meat as pictured there. I eat the fancier stuff when they serve things other than seafood lol

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I eat hotdogs everyday at home, and I can tell you I fear for everyone's life to not eat my college's chicken patty

Oracle

Smash Master
Twitch.tv/tourneylocator streaming a project m tournament with tx best and ct zero! Zero is on stream right now!

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Anyone know anything about making a dazzle work with windows 8.1?
I use it. I had to re-install the video driver so I could get it to work on OBS, but there's no audio. To make up for that I use an applet called "Crossbar Thing" which lets the Audio work with OBS.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
some gits named professor pro and rolex? apparently they're gonna fight. EH, WHAT'RE THEY ANYWAYS, A BUNCHA DORKS

Top Bottom