• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

MLGF

Smash Lord
I've finally done some research on Fates and... well...

I'm hyped. They nerfed pair ups, are giving dynamic maps, trying to balance archers,

I just wish it looked less animu and had simpler designs akin to fe9

Lizalfos

Smash Master
I always thought they drew blood with a big needle, but it is like a little needle with a tube and they can switch off different vials for testing. Neat.

Last edited:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Asking a Fire Emblem to look less anime is like going to a Chinese Food restaurant and asking them to dial down on the Chinese flavoring.

Literally never has a FE not taken on similar art designs to what has been popular in Anime at the time.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
God damn it you nerds made me start watching Jojo. If I love it I'll read it after I finish watching it but I'm diggin it so far.
The anime of Parts 1-3 by David Productions are literally a panel-for-panel, page-for-page recreation of the manga, so unless you just enjoy reading stuff (like me), you're pretty much set.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
So I totally haven't been distracted by all the FE Fates hype for the past week. My sleep schedule is all kinds of messed up watching the streams.

You guys should be happy to know that the Marth amiibo is fully voiced and even says "みんな、見ていてくれ!" as one of his crit quotes. Guess I need to join in on desperately trying to find one of them...
Oh my god, I've been trying to find out more about the amiibos for awhile now because I was really hoping they'd be getting their own critical quotes and whatnot. That's super exciting to hear.

Is Marth's class unique to him?
Are they generic like the Awakening dlc/spotpass characters?
Does he have that annoying particle effect?

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Asking a Fire Emblem to look less anime is like going to a Chinese Food restaurant and asking them to dial down on the Chinese flavoring.

Literally never has a FE not taken on similar art designs to what has been popular in Anime at the time.
I don't know what FE games you've been playing (can't really comment on any of the FE games not released in America) buuuut of the ones I have played the only one that has ever given me anime vibes is Awakening.

The GBA games didn't really look like/give me anime to me/vibes.
Same for Shadow Dragon.
And same for the Tellius games.
Only game that makes me think anime is Awakening (and Fates looks like it will be that again, though I don't really have any real issue with that).

But none of the other FE games before Awakening that were released in America look like anime in the slightest to me.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Anime used to look less shiny and airbrushed in the 80s/90s you know. The art style for the sprites and the artwork in general resembled that more grounded, rougher style than these new games.

I'm not an artist so it's hard to express, but he has a point.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord

At the very least, classic fe games tried to look semi practical

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind it looking anime I just dislike how shameless it and some of its designs are getting.

no, not the top!

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't know what FE games you've been playing (can't really comment on any of the FE games not released in America) buuuut of the ones I have played the only one that has ever given me anime vibes is Awakening.

The GBA games didn't really look like/give me anime to me/vibes.
Same for Shadow Dragon.
And same for the Tellius games.
Only game that makes me think anime is Awakening (and Fates looks like it will be that again, though I don't really have any real issue with that).

But none of the other FE games before Awakening that were released in America look like anime in the slightest to me.
You clearly haven't watched old school anime, dude.

Smooth Criminal

eideeiit

Smash Ace
Are there any good old school anime that have aged well? I've watched Legend of the galactic heroes and Ninja scroll a bit and kind of liked both, but that's where my experiences end.

Also where's the line between new and old?

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Difficult to say. Sometime in the 2000s when cel art was ditched for digital I would say something changed, for the worst. That is a pretty clear dividing line.

No, that is not to say that there aren't great late 2000s anime shows, they just stood out more from the crowd.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
so who else whats an alt of the Toon Link and Pikachu outfits from this commercial?
we discussed this months ago and came to the conclusion that we all wanted hipster bowser the most
Are there any good old school anime that have aged well? I've watched Legend of the galactic heroes and Ninja scroll a bit and kind of liked both, but that's where my experiences end.

Also where's the line between new and old?
animation quality peaked in the late 90's where they pushed cel shading as far as they could before switching over to shading. we're honestly starting to get back up to animation quality levels of that time, though, as digital art gets pushed forwards.

i haven't watched too much old stuff, but most of the stuff I watched holds up fine.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Speaking of FE all i have been doing is playing Radiant Dawn and on the 2nd arc right now. This game is good outside of a few things. Will it beat 7 or 9 for me though IDK.

And speaking of Fates love that they broke a tradition and have a male Pegasus Knight who I would go gay for in Hoshido route and whose daughter looks like my favorite female character from FE:A :love: and a Female Axe user on Nohr side who I can kinda get behind.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Speaking of FE all i have been doing is playing Radiant Dawn and on the 2nd arc right now. This game is good outside of a few things. Will it beat 7 or 9 though IDK.

And speaking of Fates love that they broke a tradition and have a male Pegasus Knight who I would go gay on Hoshido and whose daughter looks like my favorite female character from FE:A and a Female Axe user on Nohr side who I can kinda get behind.
It also kind of helps that Charlotte turned out to be a very well written character, a thing that very few anticipated given the criticism when she was first revealed.

Matoi is awesome, Yuugiri is really awesome, Luna is awesome, etc. Really digging the character designs more, even if they're a little trope-y.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
The easiest buff to Olimar to make is still to make yellow pikmin act like bananas when thrown. Ez top 10

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
The easiest buff to Olimar to make is still to make yellow pikmin act like bananas when thrown. Ez top 10
Real talk, rebuff nair, make up/down throws more comboable, and FIX THE ****ING GRAB and he's top 10 easy.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Who wants a top ten Olimar to fight against? Olimar mains I guess.

Characters that are that annoying to even read what is going on without Pikmin trails shouldn't be one of the best to play as.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Heeeeey. Would red Roy be FitRoy01 or FitRoy02? Judgin by the order of the color on the css iot would seem that green should be 01 and red should be 02 but I have been fooled by that kind of ordering before and red ended up being 01 anyway despite being after green on the css.

:L

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Real talk, rebuff nair, make up/down throws more comboable, and FIX THE ****ING GRAB and he's top 10 easy.
The second Olimar breaks into A tier is the second I start hating him.
Heeeeey. Would red Roy be FitRoy01 or FitRoy02? Judgin by the order of the color on the css iot would seem that green should be 01 and red should be 02 but I have been fooled by that kind of ordering before and red ended up being 01 anyway despite being after green on the css.

:L
We are all dum. I think there is a thread w/ smart ppl somewhere.

Last edited:

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
And speaking of Fates love that they broke a tradition and have a male Pegasus Knight who I would go gay for in Hoshido route and whose daughter looks like my favorite female character from FE:A :love: and a Female Axe user on Nohr side who I can kinda get behind.
Yeah I forgot to mention that bit. Despite the fact I don't like her design much I just think it's awesome she's a warrior and that the other guy is a pegasus rider. Been waiting a long time for them to finally do that.

I just would've expected something more like Nailah (she's so cool!) for a female warrior and less like... Maribelle, or something. Not that subverted expectations is a bad thing of course, but it's not like they even really did that after they sexualized her so much.
Anyway that's all fine and well as the oni girl is awesome and kinda makes up for that.

Boiko

:drshrug:

I don't know if you guys saw this set from when I was down in TX, but it's super good. We were very evenly matched for the most part.

waft sucks.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Man, I wanted to play the path with the fox guy and male Pegasus rider, but I'm also committed to playing through nohr first.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
It also kind of helps that Charlotte turned out to be a very well written character, a thing that very few anticipated given the criticism when she was first revealed.

Matoi is awesome, Yuugiri is really awesome, Luna is awesome, etc. Really digging the character designs more, even if they're a little trope-y.
I didn't pay too much to Charlotte actually when she was first revealed as well but then i read her supports and what not and i can dig her especially her supports with Lazward. Yuugiri is awesome as well and Luna i love anyway LMAO and i can't wait for the 3rd path DLC so i can marry her to Tsubaki and get support convenstation with Luna and Matoi for that dialogue between them and i wanna see that elegant long red hair back. Also Elfie is auto plus for me since she a female knight and a good one at that which I'm a sucker for.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Yeah I forgot to mention that bit. Despite the fact I don't like her design much I just think it's awesome she's a warrior and that the other guy is a pegasus rider. Been waiting a long time for them to finally do that.

I just would've expected something more like Nailah (she's so cool!) for a female warrior and less like... Maribelle, or something. Not that subverted expectations is a bad thing of course, but it's not like they even really did that after they sexualized her so much.
Anyway that's all fine and well as the oni girl is awesome and kinda makes up for that.
Oh Nailah she is cold as hell which i can understand and the oni girl is one of only few units i can dig on Hoshido route. Also I like Maribelle as well but perhaps I'm a sucker for those type of characters with curls in thier hair and who are straight up ****** like her.

Last edited:

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Man, I wanted to play the path with the fox guy and male Pegasus rider, but I'm also committed to playing through nohr first.
Ditto. I prefer Nohr's maps and playstyle, but I really do like both path's character designs.

At least the 3rd path allows us to have everyone.

@ Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222
Seriously, Yuugiri's design is by far one of my favorite's in the entire series, to the point that I'd change my avatar right as soon as I got the art.

Which, as you can see, I have.

Nixie

Smash Journeyman
Thank you for the spoiler tabs, I've actually been trying to not look at too much.

A media blackout might be kind of an impossible goal though, since there's a whopping 6 months at least before localized release. I can't imagine I'll be able to avoid spoilers for that long. :<

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
Thank you for the spoiler tabs, I've actually been trying to not look at too much.

A media blackout might be kind of an impossible goal though, since there's a whopping 6 months at least before localized release. I can't imagine I'll be able to avoid spoilers for that long. :<
It'll be quite difficult, I can assure you; there is always the possibility of a spoiler falling through the cracks, so be prepared for that.

I enjoy knowing things ahead of time because I know I'll still enjoy the game (perhaps even better) when I'm spoiled on it, but I can understand you not wanting to find any coming your way.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Are there any good old school anime that have aged well?
Armored Trooper VOTOMS, Astro Boy/Black Jack/anything, and I do mean ANYTHING by Osamu Tezuka(he's called The Father of Manga for very good reason), Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm, Berserk, Captain Harlock/Galaxy Express 999/Space Battleship Yamato(not 2199)/the Leijiverse as a general rule, Cowboy Bebop, Cyborg 009(especially the 2001 series), Dai-Guard, Devilman/Violence Jack/Mazinger Z/Mazinkaiser/UFO Robo Grendizer/anything by Go Nagai as a general rule, Fist of the North Star, G Gundam/Gundam 0080/0083/Turn A Gundam/lots of the older UC stuff, Giant Robo, Goddannar, Guyver, Heat Guy J, Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, GaoGaiGar/Brave Police J-Decker/most of the Brave series (though not all of it is still that good), Getter Robo, Ghost in the Shell(the original manga/series)/a LOT of Shirow Masamune's older work(alladat well-done research), really, Gunbuster/Diebuster, Magic Knight Rayearth, Martian Successor Nadesico, Outlaw Star, Overman King Gainer, Patlabor, Record of Lodoss War(helps that its visuals are STILL well-done), Rurouni Kenshin/Samurai X, Samurai Champloo, Serial Experiments Lain, Space Adventure Cobra, Space Runaway Ideon, Studio Ghibli's earlier stuff as a general rule, The Big O, The Five Star Stories(kinda), The Vision of Escaflowne, Trigun, Utawarerumono(I feel like the anime adaptation counts). and Vampire Hunter D.
...Respect your elders, son.
/opinion
Good googly-MOOGLY, I'm a mecha fiend.
The anime of Parts 1-3 by David Productions are literally a panel-for-panel, page-for-page recreation of the manga, so unless you just enjoy reading stuff (like me), you're pretty much set.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Ditto. I prefer Nohr's maps and playstyle, but I really do like both path's character designs.

At least the 3rd path allows us to have everyone.

@ Gamegenie222 Gamegenie222
Seriously, Yuugiri's design is by far one of my favorite's in the entire series, to the point that I'd change my avatar right as soon as I got the art.

Which, as you can see, I have.
That design is pretty good. I don't have one of the top of my head actually.

Don't worry bout it at least your not in the Robin Social Thread it has been a spoiler landmine like the end scene of Bad Boy's 2 in the minefield with the main bad guy. Pretty much like that in a nutshell.

It'll be quite difficult, I can assure you; there is always the possibility of a spoiler falling through the cracks, so be prepared for that.

I enjoy knowing things ahead of time because I know I'll still enjoy the game (perhaps even better) when I'm spoiled on it, but I can understand you not wanting to find any coming your way.
^This also I hope it releases in February so I can grab it around my birthday and the 3rd path and opposite version DLC comes out a week ahead or something. I need new waifus to look at and artwork and gif moments to save.

Last edited:
Top Bottom