• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Renji64

Smash Lord
The New Training stage has to be one of the best addtions to P:M it looks so professional and awesome i wish sakurai would take notes on that one for a wifi loading stage.

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
BB's netcode has gotten better and better every iteration. Combine that with the 5f input buffer, and you have a game that does very well online, probably better than any other fighting game in this gen...

Game releases don't really mean that much in the grand scheme of things, since most players even remotely serious about the game will watch Japanese matches, gather as much research as they can about change lists, or find any means to play the game...

Blazblue Extend wasn't a main stage game at EVO this and last year because of player turnout and money...

I'm bringing up the bashing because it drives away newer players to not playing the game, whether it is SRK trolls or not.
So, cut some text just to keep this post from getting too gigantic. But again, I've yet to meet a blazblue player that has had anything kind to say of the netplay. Personally I've had nothing but terrible experiences with it and, while it may not be the worst out there right now, it is by no means the best. I've heard some great things about skullgirls netplay, and MBAACC netplay has been getting better and better consistently for awhile now (though admittedly thats largely because a community member is writing it lol).

Game releases make a major difference. Even if you've imported BBCP by this point, Japan still has a 1 year head start on us with it. Thats an incredibly large amount of time to make up. Just watching videos and studying matchups isn't sufficient substitute for 1 full year of actually playing the game. The fact that its generally easier to find competition over there just compounds that problem even further. By the way, for what its worth, I agree that the strong arcade scene is a definite boon to their general skill level, but I feel like the massive disparity in release times is a pretty large factor that people tend to just overlook a lot.

So, I can definitely agree that BBCSE wasn't at evo this last year due to low entrance expectancy, but again I would argue that that is largely due to the new version of the game having already been out in japan for like, 9 months. I can say for sure the game was dead in my local scene for quite some time just due to that fact as well. The previous year I get the feeling was mostly just a problem with not having enough spaces with MK9 and SFxT being stuffed in the lineup. Also, seriously, I have never experienced this hate on anime games at an actual tournament before. Literally never see it anywhere except on SRK. I doubt it has all that much of an impact on people coming out to tourneys.

Also, Top Level UMVC3 is a terrible example for anything honestly. The game is so broken in so many aspects that any single random hit can change the flow of the game tremendously. Incidentally, Japan has by far the most unique teams of any country when it comes to UMVC3 at high-level play, and Kusoru, one of the first who implemented anti-Phoenix play in his game, also came from Japan. The famous Dr. Strange Nova team synergy was also invented by Nemo, a Japanese player.
The game may be broken as hell, but its still consistent enough that we see the same few players winning tournaments regularly, so, yeah. Its definitely a legitimate example. Also, Kusoru was definitely not the first person to develop strategies to fight dark phoenix, though he was definitely the first person to implement counter strategies to her at the level that he did. My point about this is really that, despite the fact that Japan dominates most US players in most fighting games, we hold our own just fine with them in Marvel, and one of the reasons I believe that to be the case is that they don't have a gigantic head start playing the game on us.

Also 3.0 is ****ing amazing, <3 all y'all. Is it just me or does wavedashing feel a lot smoother now for some reason? I'm not noticing quite as much jerkiness in the startup now.

Holy crap that got wall of texty fast...

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Also, Top Level UMVC3 is a terrible example for anything honestly. The game is so broken in so many aspects that any single random hit can change the flow of the game tremendously. Incidentally, Japan has by far the most unique teams of any country when it comes to UMVC3 at high-level play, and Kusoru, one of the first who implemented anti-Phoenix play in his game, also came from Japan. The famous Dr. Strange Nova team synergy was also invented by Nemo, a Japanese player.

Are you being real with me here?

Non-standard JP teams include Kusoru's team, that dope Deadpool Team, Nemo, Abegen and like Mamespider. You probably forget that JP was the area that pretty much put Vergil on the map and started the homogenization of a lot of teams in the US and abroad.

Here in the US, you have dope Viper teams (MarlinPie, Drew Grimey, Unknown) , very strong Magneto play (RayRay, FChamp), the person who put the Morrigan/Doom shell on the map then you have players like Clock who IS the best Strider free, Moons who is still dope with Ammy, MODOK and Nova, various players who still make Wesker work, Iron Man players like Alukard, Sentinel players like RayRay (who is also known for his Ryu). Arguably the 3rd or so best player in the WORLD runs Wolverine, Storm, Akuma for ****s sake. And FOUR players that are top level run Wolverine who is dead outside of the US (Wong, Rog, Ricky, Angelic... who runs SHUMA).

I also forget the ex-smash players like Meep (who ran X-23 teams before switching to zero) and Green_Ace (Trish/Wesker/Dante) and Noel who runs Wolverine/Frank.

There is a lot wrong about UMvC3, so this is not necessarily a defense of that. But there is also a lot of intelligent play going on at any top level of anything and across the board there is a lot of character variety at the highest levels of skill.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
why did I let myself get involved in a superman vs batman thread on the internet
why can't people just let the bat into their hearts and accept him as their lord and savior

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
the two most boring superheroes on the planet tho

"ok timmy what did you think up today" "WELL I GOT A MAN WHO IS SUPER STRONG AND CAN FLY and-and he can BREATHE FIRE AND SHOOT LASERS FROM HIS EYEBALLS!!!!!!" "uh, alright. how about you vincent" "my dude's rich." "...that's it?" "mhm." "F-, both of you"

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
Superman? Batman? The only superhero I want is a Wo Man haha someone please go out with me

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium

"ok timmy what did you think up today" "WELL I GOT A MAN WHO IS SUPER STRONG AND CAN FLY and-and he can BREATHE FIRE AND SHOOT LASERS FROM HIS EYEBALLS!!!!!!" "uh, alright. how about you vincent" "my dude's rich." "...that's it?" "mhm." "F-, both of you"
The powers, or lack there of, might be boring, but to say that the characters themselves are boring is the kind of thought I've never understood.
Assuming you're reading quality work that is... and gosh is there some bad stuff out there (I've read enough writers like Ann Nocenti ruining some of my favorite characters to give up on them until they were given new writers...). Honestly, I'm rarely reading a comic for the powers that the character has, but moreso for the character themselves. You can make the lamest superpower in the world, like the power of mild suggestion or something, and I'll read the **** out of it if the personality and character development is strong.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
someone should post my pm c falcon vid from last year on reddit

i wanna hype up the new one and have my vid reach 5k views before the year ends

i'd post it myself, but reddit's general formatting is ****ing weird, and i dont get it at all
Okay, posted it in the p:m subreddit, and now if someone is as kind as to post it in the "smashbros" subreddit, it would be nice. ****ing reddit not letting me do any shi*

EDIT: nvm, posted it

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
So is the Franklin Badge still bugged? I think it froze my game, either that or starman.

In fact, is there a list of buggy items not to use to avoid freezes?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So is the Franklin Badge still bugged? I think it froze my game, either that or starman.

The answer is simple. You shouldn't be using any items that aren't the Turbo item.

That's the joke. ¦D

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Okay, posted it in the p:m subreddit, and now if someone is as kind as to post it in the "smashbros" subreddit, it would be nice. ****ing reddit not letting me do any shi*

EDIT: nvm, posted it
givin' u shoutouts baby boo

XalchemistX

Smash Ace
NNID
Alchemistx
Just finished a 12 hour PM play session with my friends, and we finally decided to record our matches. Any video capture devices you guys recomend?

hotdogturtle

Smash Master

Holy ****, this is what I've always thought. They are literally THE two worst designed superheros.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
yo can we give ddd a crawl
all the crawl is is his crouch animation but sliding across the ground fabulous style
pls n ty

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Are you guys seriously insulting DC superheroes? What?

Every strongman superhero costume ever is a rip off of Superman's classic flowing cape, shorts and boots, even when they lose the shorts or modify the costume.

Batman has Spawned (get it?) all kinds of dark armored heroes with the gothic horror mystic and awesome art deco artwork.

You hate how cliche they are, when they started it all? Makes zero sense.

Edit: Please don't bring in any of your ****ty pulp comic heroes into this please.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra

Timer and any other slow down effects (final smashes, shadow assist trophy, etc) causes physics to break. We have it replaced with a sticker. Hopping on a green shell causes everyone to automatically footstool for the rest of the match.

Zwarm

Smash Hero

Every strongman superhero costume ever is a rip off of Superman's classic flowing cape, shorts and boots, even when they lose the shorts or modify the costume.

Batman has Spawned (get it?) all kinds of dark armored heroes with the gothic horror mystic and awesome art deco artwork.

I'm not a fan of older rock, but I appreciate what they've done for music as a whole. It's the same idea imo.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Rich Dude? That could be Batman, Iron Man, Blue Beetle, Green Arrow, or any number of other non-powered heroes.

Breath Fire? Bizarro breaths fire, so does Etrigan...though he doesn't fly. Homelander, Superman, Sentry, Captain Marvel, Martian Manhunter...the lists go on and on.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Edit: Please don't bring in any of your ****ty pulp comic heroes into this please.
See bold. Damn I guess Watchmen sucked. And Preacher. And...

j/k

My biggest beef with DC is that I never liked a lot of the stories their characters were in. It's not that I think the heroes themselves are lame (even though some of them are); it's what the writers did to them. And no, Marvel heroes aren't magically immune to this, despite my preference to that brand. Especially in recent years, the quality of Marvel's storytelling has been in decline (I'm hoping Marvel Now! will change this).

(Early Spawn was alright. The series as a whole started declining after about 50 issues. Simmons' angst too stronk, and I even like the whiny protags.)

Smooth Criminal

Top Bottom