• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

D

Deleted member

i'm 27 and i've been playing since ssb64 came out. i lurked smashboards for 2 years before joining

CORY

wut
BRoomer
29, played since ssb64 (only had a brother to play with, we didn't know about lcancelling. not very good : p)

when melee came out, met the people who would start to become my crew (and some of my best friends) prepping for an anime convention tourney. we went on to run that tourney for a few years, then lost our contact, and at that point, discovered that you can actually do fun stuff at anime conventions : O

then we helped build up the texas scene and ran 3 pretty good tourneys (for our time). WE USED A PRINTED PHYSICAL BRACKET. HOLY CRAP. i'm still boggled at how great the current bracket programs are!

brawl came out, disillusioned some of us (i was one) and we mostly stopped playing smash for a while. then pm came out and now i'm trying to get back into the community, but i'm so much worse than most of the dfw people that i can only really play against my friends : p

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Wow, am I really the youngest here?

I'm only 16, i've played since early melee but never got into competetive battling really until joining smashboards. Still haven't gotten to go to any real competetive scene, but I'd love to in the future.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
Well I'm 17 and I've only been try-harding at smash for a year, mostly project m. I only played melee a little bit when it was out, and then I was a super casual with brawl for a long time until one day my friends and I booted up melee and realized how much more fun it was. Then I guess I found out about project m and so yeah

Ginge

Smash Ace
In person multiplayer is how I got introduced to so many of the people I Brawl'ed/Project M'ed with in college. It's a whole lot more personal that playing online. And my experience with Brawl's online capabilities when not playing with Friend Codes was iffy at best. I might as well have been playing against CPUs with better AI.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Agreed. Online multiplayer is great and all for its accessibility but nothing like local multiplayer brings the hype, trashtalk, laughs and overall interpersonal fun that comes from playing games like Mario Party, Mario Kart, Bomberman, Smash etc.

And I'll openly admit it's even better when alcohol is involved :)
Getting smashed with Smash is a way of life :denzel:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Yeah, think you could break this down a bit more? Hell, there should just be a thread somewhere on how to do this :p
I'll take a stab at it.
1. Get an HDD
2. Format it to either NTFS or FAT32.
3. Install Homebrew
4. Choose a USB Loader. I would recommend USB Loader GX. http://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/
4.5. Follow any extra directions that the USB Loader requires.
5. Put the USB Loader on the root of your SD Card/HDD.
6. Boot up USB Loader GX on Wii. Make sure your HDD is plugged in BEFORE you boot the USB Loader.
7. Get games from Disc? Use the functions in the USB Loader. Have an iso on your computer? Use Wii Backup Manager (http://www.wiibackupmanager.co.uk/) to move those files on to your HDD and you can play them via USB Loader.

You should be good to go.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
So I just booked for APEX. And AGDQ. And MAGFest. Holy ****, what have I gotten myself into?

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
I agree. It's largely the reason why anime fighter communities struggled last gen compared to other fighters. The netcode for games like Blazblue and P4U were so good, people didn't feel the need to go to tournaments or locals and didn't show up, preferring to host online tourneys instead. Not to mention a lot people who got interested in those types of games were usually really young and couldn't go to actual tourneys because of school or what-not. Local tournaments not only keep communities alive, but it also helps you get better faster. It's exactly why Japan always whoops our *** in most fighting games. It's not a magically genetic trait they have buried in their DNA that some people think. It's just that there are hundreds of arcades available where they can play as many good players as they want face-to-face, and they get a ton of experience because of it. Add onto that the reputation those games have gotten as being weird animu "weeaboo" fighters. Guilty Gear and Blazblue don't even make the main stage at EVO anymore because the numbers they pull in aren't big enough anymore to warrant anything more than a side-touney. P4U did, but simply because it recently came out. With all 3 of those games getting updates or sequels, hopefully it changes in the future as more new players get interested, but I'm afraid history will repeat itself.
I have never met a blazblue player who had anything kind to say about its net code. The airdasher community around here has weekly meetups and ranbats every 2-3 weeks on top of that, just as an example. Also, Japan is better at most fighting games because they get access to them WAY before we do. As another example, the most recent revision of blazblue, chrono phantasma, has been out in Japan since November of 2012. It still isn't out over here and isn't slated for release till March of next year. On the other hand, the US can actually compete with Japan in UMVC3, and if you look at the release dates you'll notice that it came out at pretty much the same time in both regions.

As for evo not including airdashers, they don't run GG because its old as hell, and evo doesn't run old games (melee was somewhat of a tremendous exception due to the whole charity drive thing). They didn't run BB this year because we didn't have access to the latest revision at the time, which had been out for some half a year in Japan already by that point, and the year before that I seem to recall evo being held just before the release of the new version of the game, meaning none of the BB players actually cared to play the old revision when the new one is just about to come out.

By the way, we've actually seen some new players locally who got bored with crappy netplay and decided to go to a meetup and get involved with the community. So yeah, netplay can definitely help improve turnouts at offline meetups/tourneys. Also, the negative "weird anime weeaboo" stigma is just loud SRK trolls. Don't listen to them, they don't represent the opinions of anyone but irrelevant loud SRK trolls.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Drop Toon Link, pick up Fox. I'll see you deep in Winners Bracket (I won't be there, some other guy will get me with ****in Yoshi don't worry)

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Drop Toon Link, pick up Fox. I'll see you deep in Winners Bracket (I won't be there, some other guy will get me with ****in Yoshi don't worry)
Real talk, my TL/MK would do much better than my Fox would lol.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I have never met a blazblue player who had anything kind to say about its net code. The airdasher community around here has weekly meetups and ranbats every 2-3 weeks on top of that, just as an example. Also, Japan is better at most fighting games because they get access to them WAY before we do. As another example, the most recent revision of blazblue, chrono phantasma, has been out in Japan since November of 2012. It still isn't out over here and isn't slated for release till March of next year. On the other hand, the US can actually compete with Japan in UMVC3, and if you look at the release dates you'll notice that it came out at pretty much the same time in both regions.

As for evo not including airdashers, they don't run GG because its old as hell, and evo doesn't run old games (melee was somewhat of a tremendous exception due to the whole charity drive thing). They didn't run BB this year because we didn't have access to the latest revision at the time, which had been out for some half a year in Japan already by that point, and the year before that I seem to recall evo being held just before the release of the new version of the game, meaning none of the BB players actually cared to play the old revision when the new one is just about to come out.

By the way, we've actually seen some new players locally who got bored with crappy netplay and decided to go to a meetup and get involved with the community. So yeah, netplay can definitely help improve turnouts at offline meetups/tourneys. Also, the negative "weird anime weeaboo" stigma is just loud SRK trolls. Don't listen to them, they don't represent the opinions of anyone but irrelevant loud SRK trolls.
BB's netcode has gotten better and better every iteration. Combine that with the 5f input buffer, and you have a game that does very well online, probably better than any other fighting game in this gen.

Game releases don't really mean that much in the grand scheme of things, since most players even remotely serious about the game will watch Japanese matches, gather as much research as they can about change lists, or find any means to play the game. Nearly every person I know who's serious about BB already has imported CP or at least plays with someone who has. For the most part, those who are serious already know what they're getting into before they get the game. Japanese players simply play more. They see more situations, fight more matchups, and get more experience. Finding good competition to improve there is as easy walking to an arcade and playing friendlies with random strangers for 5 hours straight. The US doesn't have the luxury of having a thriving arcade scene.

Blazblue Extend wasn't a main stage game at EVO this and last year because of player turnout and money.Wizard even hinted at it and it makes perfect sense. While CP being around the corner certainly had something to do with it, the demographic that plays BB tends to be young, broke, or a combination of both. It's not possible for them to travel to two majors in one year. There also isn't hundreds of pot monsters attending these tournies like Marvel or SF4 do.

I'm bringing up the bashing because it drives away newer players to not playing the game, whether it is SRK trolls or not.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Someone posted a video of mine on smash reddit "Scarrrr=Canon?", and now it has more views than like all my videos combined and I'm not sure what to do

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Someone posted a video of mine on smash reddit "Scarrrr=Canon?", and now it has more views than like all my videos combined and I'm not sure what to do
This happened to me with my Squirtle recovery tricks video. Redditors are just thirsty for that content, man.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
This happened to me with my Squirtle recovery tricks video. Redditors are just thirsty for that content, man.
Should I start replying to people on the reddit? Also I feel like I'm wasting an opportunity to sell something lmao, at least people might want to support light press. That is my part in the destiny of the Smash space time continuum: it was P:M's fate to discover through coding limitations the wonders of a light press air dodge and mine and others to keep it alive.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
mad you are being ridiculous
there is nothing special about light press airdodge
all it will really mean is a more awkward input when light shields are implemented and you will need to fully release the trigger from a full analog hold and repress for an airdodge instead of just clicking down from where you already are

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
aye nerd

(it was a good god damn movement video, idk how reddit works I just wanted to show it to people)

Diraga

Smash Cadet
Hey, does anyone want to play Project M over Wifi? I'm more of an intermediate player, but I'll play against any skill level.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
someone should post my pm c falcon vid from last year on reddit

i wanna hype up the new one and have my vid reach 5k views before the year ends

i'd post it myself, but reddit's general formatting is ****ing weird, and i dont get it at all

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Hey, does anyone want to play Project M over Wifi? I'm more of an intermediate player, but I'll play against any skill level.
Sure, I'm down to play right now if you want. I've got everything set up, played with my friends earlier yesterday so there should be no issues

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
My friend code is incorrect on my profile. I sent the correct friend code to you on your page: forgot to edit my info after all these years

Edit: I love Roy

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Famous players like Dieminion who have personally been to Japan have stated that their tight knit community and there ability to meet each other with ease tremendously helps them advance their metagame. Imagine if all high level SF players in America lived in the same city. That would be huge.
Also, Top Level UMVC3 is a terrible example for anything honestly. The game is so broken in so many aspects that any single random hit can change the flow of the game tremendously. Incidentally, Japan has by far the most unique teams of any country when it comes to UMVC3 at high-level play, and Kusoru, one of the first who implemented anti-Phoenix play in his game, also came from Japan. The famous Dr. Strange Nova team synergy was also invented by Nemo, a Japanese player.

D

Deleted member

I love the IRC chat.

<mib_q5xgda>: if i put in project m 3.0, will i be able to remove the sd card and play regular brawl?
<Umbreon>: why would you want to
<Umbreon>: willfully playing brawl is a sign of self-mutilation akin to cutting and burning that should be addressed by a mental health professional
<Umbreon>: i'm pretty sure most crisis hotlines even acknowledge playing brawl as an adverse and dysfunctional behavior
<InternetExplorer>: Umbreon: If you want to be an asshole then please do so somewhere else.

lmao shots fired

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
on the flipside, you are wholeheartedly the kind of person who, when I google for technical problems, will be in a thread trying to act smug about it and helping nobody in the process

in other words: the absolute worst kind of person

Vashimus

Smash Master
on the flipside, you are wholeheartedly the kind of person who, when I google for technical problems, will be in a thread trying to act smug about it and helping nobody in the process

in other words: the absolute worst kind of person
Banned (6 Points) doe

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Umbreon = UmbreonMOW

Just made the connection.

Scar joked by saying that you should have your own episode on the Smash documentary.

Top Bottom