• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
I watched a couple of Anita's videos. She comes across as qiite genuine, imo. I'm not a big proponent of femenism, but she obviously had some valid points. Why all the hate targeted at her?
For me, I'm bothered because she's quite close-minded and used partial picturing to make games seem a lot more sexist than they actually are. Also she stole clips from Let's Players and refused to give credit. I'm pretty sure the majority of the people that disagree with her just hates her for being a feminist though.

Edit: Also she lied about not being a fan of games during some school presentation at one point, but I think in her video she said she claimed she was a gamer since she was a kid.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Gamer gate is really stupid, on both sides, because it turned into something completely different than intended because people are frustrating and its a very common tactic to deflect conversations with red herrings and tangents as to change the topic.

It also all sort of relys on the fact people actually still look to gaming news for game reviews. Why on earth would you want to in the first place, like IGN and Kotaku are just **** holes now, you're better off just asking friends and forums.

PM makes me so sad sometimes. Last night I was playing a newer player, he was like 4 months into the scene, and his roy was getting like 3 stocks off my super rusty wolf (I was playing so badly idk, didn't practice all week, was missing Nair>shines and didn't end combos) but I would 4 stock him with rob and diddy (who I just keep as secondaries and dont really practice) just because they can't get punished as hard. Why play a cool character when I can play a floaty with a godlike recovery that does my character's job better anyway.
Cant wait for 3.5, I want a change log to drop so I can decide who to play lol. Wolf/Diddy/Rob in that order, probably.

@ SpiderMad SpiderMad I think I started to understand what you meant by cstick set to attack and reseting to neutral issues. It happened to me a few times that I just wouldn't get anything out if I repeated tried to bair out of hitstun without letting go of the stick. My controller is also starting to go so I have a slight deadzone on my cstick so that probably doesn't help much.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I watched a couple of Anita's videos. She comes across as qiite genuine, imo. I'm not a big proponent of femenism, but she obviously had some valid points. Why all the hate targeted at her?
She built up quite a bit of money in the name of research for her video series, and despite it, does not seem to do her homework regarding gaming in general. She cries out for more strong female characters and yet completely ignores the majority of good female characters, instead cherry picking a few examples and assuming that all games are like this.

Her videos are also well known for using stolen Let's Play footage from YT in order to make her points, instead of doing what needed to be done on her own. The fact that she made so much money for her videos, this is even more damning.

The woman claimed to be a gamer, yet has specifically stated that she isn't and in the specific clip where she does so, generalizes all games as shooters. I believe the exact thing she said was "I would love to play games, but I don't wanna blow people's heads off so eww no." (I'm paraphrasing though.)

At one point in her discussion regarding the Hitman franchise, she states that you are encouraged to treat women like objects and murder them. Essentially making it out to be a "Choose your own misogynist adventure". In reality though, the stage she uses as an example encourages you not to kill the female civilians and actually punishes you if you do it.

Pretty much all her arguments assume that patriarchy is responsible for everything and that games are inherently misogynistic, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

For me, I'm bothered because she's quite close-minded and used partial picturing to make games seem a lot more sexist than they actually are. Also she stole clips from Let's Players and refused to give credit. I'm pretty sure the majority of the people that disagree with her just hates her for being a feminist though.

Edit: Also she lied about not being a fan of games during some school presentation at one point, but I think in her video she said she claimed she was a gamer since she was a kid.
Damn, you beat me to it.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
it's difficult to actually give critique because of the smokescreen surrounding her thanks to very, very creepy people, which sucks because she definitely ain't perfect, because I can't acknowledge that thanks to how games arguments get set up

fwiw, I feel like she's kinda gross about how she reacts to sex. how she reacted to bayonetta, saint's row's sex-positive spins, the fact that she genuinely uses "fighting **** toy" as a descriptor, etc

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
She built up quite a bit of money in the name of research for her video series, and despite it, does not seem to do her homework regarding gaming in general. She cries out for more strong female characters and yet completely ignores the majority of good female characters, instead cherry picking a few examples and assuming that all games are like this.

Her videos are also well known for using stolen Let's Play footage from YT in order to make her points, instead of doing what needed to be done on her own. The fact that she made so much money for her videos, this is even more damning.

The woman claimed to be a gamer, yet has specifically stated that she isn't and in the specific clip where she does so, generalizes all games as shooters. I believe the exact thing she said was "I would love to play games, but I don't wanna blow people's heads off so eww no." (I'm paraphrasing though.)

At one point in her discussion regarding the Hitman franchise, she states that you are encouraged to treat women like objects and murder them. Essentially making it out to be a "Choose your own misogynist adventure". In reality though, the stage she uses as an example encourages you not to kill the female civilians and actually punishes you if you do it.

Pretty much all her arguments assume that patriarchy is responsible for everything and that games are inherently misogynistic, which rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Damn, you beat me to it.
Maybe she took the money to GameStop and just bought the jewel cases.

Yeah, another example is with Super Princess Peach. She said it's sexist because Peach, finally starring in her own game, has the powers of crying and being pissed off (stereotypical female emotions), ignoring the fact that Peach also has the powers of Joy and Calm.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
it's difficult to actually give critique because of the smokescreen surrounding her thanks to very, very creepy people, which sucks because she definitely ain't perfect, because I can't acknowledge that thanks to how games arguments get set up

fwiw, she's kinda gross about how she reacts to sex. how she reacted to bayonetta, saint's row's sex-positive spins, the fact that she genuinely uses "fighting **** toy" as a descriptor, etc
The worst thing about her reaction to Bayonetta is claiming she's pure patriarchy, when Bayonetta was designed by a woman. It's like any kind of sexuality is wrong and if you don't align with her image of what a woman should be, then patriarchy.

I do wish she would differentiate between YT trolls, which are going to post on just about everything, and legit posts though. It's like she built up a wall of victimhood and now criticizing her at all isn't allowed, both because of the stigma you get and because she blocks comments on everything she does.

Maybe she took the money to GameStop and just bought the jewel cases.

Yeah, another example is with Super Princess Peach. She said it's sexist because Peach, finally starring in her own game, has the powers of crying and being pissed off (stereotypical female emotions), ignoring the fact that Peach also has the powers of Joy and Calm.
I'm willing to give that Super Princess Peach is sexist, but it's a minority in gaming as well. Not every game is going to assume that women can only PMS all over the place. The majority of her arguments don't take the why into consideration, only the what, and that's part of why I can't stand it.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
generally, super princess peach's critique is logical regardless. a female stereotype isn't specific emotions, it's just being emotional in general. also that game was a bit piss otherwise, s'yeah

though honestly, if I got school shooting and bomb threats on the regular, I'd get a bit cynical too, so I can't really complain about how she reacts

I highly recommend critiquing things in general, I think it's relatively important to understand everything wrong with what you love. coincidentally, would you like to read my ten-page essay on l-cancelling

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
generally, super princess peach's critique is logical regardless. a female stereotype isn't specific emotions, it's just being emotional in general. also that game was a bit piss otherwise, s'yeah

though honestly, if I got school shooting and bomb threats on the regular, I'd get a bit cynical too, so I can't really complain about how she reacts

I highly recommend critiquing things in general, I think it's relatively important to understand everything wrong with what you love. coincidentally, would you like to read my ten-page essay on l-cancelling
yes on all points

especially l-cancelling

Lizalfos

Smash Master
When you only watch the feminist frequency videos, it seems like the only problem is that she cherry picks all the worst stuff, but once you hear about all the other stuff she has said about games outside of videos, she starts to look a lot worse.

It gets a little grating when she and her supporters fall back on all the flak and threats she receives. The sad truth is that some of the threats are really serious. When cops have to respond to a bomb threat where she is speaking, it obviously is a big deal. I think that is where SJWs win. SJWs at worst demonize and radicalize a community. Opponents of SJWs are making physical threats, and like with the bomb threat, they are having direct, readily observable, consequences.

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
Eh, I suppose. Maybe I was missing her point, even if she wasn't quite as detailed as I would have liked. I haven't actually played Super Princess Peach. I've just seen stuff of it.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
yes on all points

especially l-cancelling
we're going to sit in our Straw Hut Of Activism and talk about how we hate fox players

completely unrelated, but jesus christ is mega-rayquaza completely broken, even in ubers

a base 180 attack and special attack

with an ability that cancels out all weather

while also making anything super-effective against flying neutral (so no 4x weakness to ice)

AND WITH A HIGH-POWER CLOSE COMBAT VARIANT FOR FLYING TYPES

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
But the longer people are fighting amongst themselves over the stupidest garbage imaginable, the longer nothing good will ever get done.
This is true in things as large-scale as going to war for stupid reasons.(sup ISIS)
...And it's a big part of why I see free will as unacceptable. As long as someone can choose to do so, they do ruin things for everyone else. /violently extremist bias

Why do you think there is such a huge backlash from men now?
Because vocal minorities are disproportionately loud.

SJWs win when there is equality
Yes, because that is actual "justice". lol

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
When did video games get so serious? Weren't they made for people to have fun?
Fun is being held hostage until equality is reached. And only an equality that one side is happy with, even if that is not actually equality. And you have to admit that you are bad for liking what was fun because it's bad.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
PM makes me so sad sometimes. Last night I was playing a newer player, he was like 4 months into the scene, and his roy was getting like 3 stocks off my super rusty wolf (I was playing so badly idk, didn't practice all week, was missing Nair>shines and didn't end combos) but I would 4 stock him with rob and diddy (who I just keep as secondaries and dont really practice) just because they can't get punished as hard. Why play a cool character when I can play a floaty with a godlike recovery that does my character's job better anyway.
Cant wait for 3.5, I want a change log to drop so I can decide who to play lol. Wolf/Diddy/Rob in that order, probably.

@ SpiderMad SpiderMad I think I started to understand what you meant by cstick set to attack and reseting to neutral issues. It happened to me a few times that I just wouldn't get anything out if I repeated tried to bair out of hitstun without letting go of the stick. My controller is also starting to go so I have a slight deadzone on my cstick so that probably doesn't help much.
Wolf requires more buttons than Fox, or probably any character.

Yep

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
holy **** messages

ok

1) @Eternal Yoshi, Kamiya is an IDIOT, i hate that guy and is half the reason I won't play games he helps dev

2) did I really just see people complaining about italicized words in brawl? like... really. Maybe I'll spend the rest of my days in italics to be a whorebisciut. It's a design choice, it wasn't something that needed to be "fixed".

3) Peach sends the womens rights movements group back about 40 years, she still wears a puffy dress, bakes cakes, attacks people with her ass, hits people with kitchen appliances and stars in a game where her only unique powers is PMS'ing enemies. Although I guess her getting her own game was a start. I never played it, too girly for me.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
we're going to sit in our Straw Hut Of Activism and talk about how we hate fox players

completely unrelated, but jesus christ is mega-rayquaza completely broken, even in ubers

a base 180 attack and special attack

with an ability that cancels out all weather

while also making anything super-effective against flying neutral (so no 4x weakness to ice)

AND WITH A HIGH-POWER CLOSE COMBAT VARIANT FOR FLYING TYPES
The power creep in this series has been very real for the past few generations. This is just stupid though, I wonder what they were thinking when they designed it, lol.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
The power creep in this series has been very real for the past few generations. This is just stupid though, I wonder what they were thinking when they designed it, lol.
If nothing else, it's a legendary, so outside of Ubers. It's already banned, probably even in VGC Doubles.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Pokemon power creep was hilarious the moment they started adding abilities and mega evos imo

Like, mega evos are a very big thing, and I REALLY think ubers didn't need any >.>

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
I'll give her SPP, but her Hitman criticisms are blatant ignoring of the game's mechanics. You are outright penalized for killing civilians, male or female.

Also Magikarp, I really don't think you get what the term SJW is used for. There's being an advocate of social justice and then there's SJW's, which refer to hypocritical assholes shielding themselves with social justice ideology (who are hilariously enough, typically white males). The "Warrior" part of it refers to the white knighting or overzealous nature of these people who fight rabidly for what they believe is right while in actuality making it insufferable to have a discussion of real issues.

Vashimus

Smash Master
3rd gen was really balanced even with abilities. The power creep came when much more high-powered moves were available and the physical-special split happened. It certainly helped a lot of Pokes by letting them better take advantage of STAB, but when you're introducing **** like Close Combat, or have Outrage get buffed to 120 BP from 90 and be physical, you're certainly gonna have some problems.

I really don't care about this whole thing. Should I ?
It's largely only a real problem in the West, so no. You Euros have some sense there thankfully.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
holy **** messages

ok

1) @Eternal Yoshi, Kamiya is an IDIOT, i hate that guy and is half the reason I won't play games he helps dev

2) did I really just see people complaining about italicized words in brawl? like... really. Maybe I'll spend the rest of my days in italics to be a *****bisciut. It's a design choice, it wasn't something that needed to be "fixed".

3) Peach sends the womens rights movements group back about 40 years, she still wears a puffy dress, bakes cakes, attacks people with her ***, hits people with kitchen appliances and stars in a game where her only unique powers is PMS'ing enemies. Although I guess her getting her own game was a start. I never played it, too girly for me.
Brawl taunts guys. I thought it was Brawl taunts. I was waiting for the "WHERE'D YOU GET THAT FRYING PAN?."

D

Deleted member

megas in OU is like everyone just agreeing to play one uber, unless its too uber, or its a base 50 spe poke weak to earthquake

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Man the power creeps were more like WTF for me when 5th gen happen. I actually like the 4th gen meta game and that's when I started playing competitive PKMN. 5th gen was all weather fest and it was spam high power moves with little risk in the OU meta and it was annoying but because of that I made a really good team that I loved to play and it wasn't weather whatsoever.

6th gen though my god these power creeps are really dumb. I rather play Ubers or VGC lately because of alot of the stuff this gen.

holy **** messages

ok

2) did I really just see people complaining about italicized words in brawl? like... really. Maybe I'll spend the rest of my days in italics to be a *****bisciut. It's a design choice, it wasn't something that needed to be "fixed".

3) Peach sends the womens rights movements group back about 40 years, she still wears a puffy dress, bakes cakes, attacks people with her ***, hits people with kitchen appliances and stars in a game where her only unique powers is PMS'ing enemies. Although I guess her getting her own game was a start. I never played it, too girly for me.
What's your dislike for Kamiya, this sounds like a juicy rant that I'm pretty curious about?

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Brawl taunts guys. I thought it was Brawl taunts. I was waiting for the "WHERE'D YOU GET THAT FRYING PAN?."
ummmmmmm, in my kitchen...?

What's your dislike for Kamiya, this sounds like a juicy rant that I'm pretty curious about?
It's not that exciting, I just dislike his general douchebaggery towards everyone and everything.

Also the part where he acts like God, that annoys me too.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
It's not that exciting, I just dislike his general douchebaggery towards everyone and everything.

Also the part where he acts like God, that annoys me too.
Kamiya isn't an idiot. He has made great stuff. And he may be tactless but he's not... well, THAT bad. He just hates it when people go on twitter and ask him intentionally dumb questions or the same questions that people have asked over and over (which is what he has twilog for).

Vashimus

Smash Master
Man the power creeps were more like WTF for me when 5th gen happen. I actually like the 4th gen meta game and that's when I started playing competitive PKMN. 5th gen was all weather fest and it was spam high power moves with little risk in the OU meta and it was annoying but because of that I made a really good team that I loved to play and it wasn't weather whatsoever.
I think even without the infinite weather, it still would've been ridiculous. The stats for offensive Pokemon have drastically raised over the gens.

You can just go down the list of Pokemon from 4th gen onward and count the amount of Pokes with attacking stats of 120 or greater and see the damage. When you have some ugly ass Pokemon designs, what better way to make people like them than make them super strong, right? *glares at Conkeldurr*

Last edited:

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
You can just go down the list of Pokemon from 4th gen onward and count the amount of Pokes with attacking stats of 120 or greater and see the damage. When you have some ugly *** Pokemon designs, what better way to make people like them then make them super strong, right? *glares at Conkeldurr*
See, this is the kind of thing I don't get about how some people perceive the new Pokémon. It's called Pocket Monsters, so why wouldn't some of the characters be ugly like typical monsters? I'm pretty sure Conkeldurr is intentionally ugly, but supposed to be cool in that regard, like an ogre or troll.

There's also Barbaracle, which I'm sure plenty of people don't like, but I love it because it's The Ugly Barnacle.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
See, this is the kind of thing I don't get about how some people perceive the new Pokémon. It's called Pocket Monsters, so why wouldn't some of the characters be ugly like typical monsters? I'm pretty sure Conkeldurr is intentionally ugly, but supposed to be cool in that regard, like an ogre or troll.

There's also Barbaracle, which I'm sure plenty of people don't like, but I love it because it's The Ugly Barnacle.
While I agree.

Nothing can justify Stunfisk to me.
Nothing.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I want to get back into pogemans, my problem is that other than 4th Gen ou, all I want to play each Gen is whatever tier honeclaws Durant is viable in.
I had so much fun in 4th Gen ou.

I might try to get into vgc, that meta is so different though.

Top Bottom