• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
or a completely different ending wherein instrumentality succeeds?
It can be that, but I like to think that those two episodes show what is going on in each character's head while End of Evagelion is what is happening in reality. There is no real answer. Now go watch rebuild.

Also this is what GG is, and this is a more detailed narrative of the event's surrounding it.
@ trash? trash? "if you read everything on its face and not dig too hard into it, sure, why not" you took the words right outta my mouth

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
In the nuance-free zone that is the internet, it is difficult to properly express one's disdain for the silliness that arises from identity politics of all stripes without being lumped in with baddies who are opponents of whole subgroups of people.

But the longer people are fighting amongst themselves over the stupidest garbage imaginable, the longer nothing good will ever get done.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
I haven't been paying attention to gamergate since the initial happenings, but when did it get all SJW'y? Wasn't the big conversation from this supposed to be regarding how gaming journalists are essentially paid off to advertise crappy games as if they were the next big thing? Conflicts of interests that ignore things like the ideas of journalistic integrity? Games like Dragon Age II that had websites plastered with their ads, turned out to be pretty lackluster, but still got super high scores? Should stuff like that not be the main focus of GG, since it happens all the time?

When did the focus change to giving a platform to ****ty people like Anita Sarkeesian and her brand of tumblr-powered feminism?

Srsly, I wasn't paying attention. When and why did that **** happen?

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Having read a lot of stuff on KiA, the amount of SJW talk has gotten pretty annoying. I mean, yes SJWs do manage to defy logic in the most insane ways but they're a distraction. Despite all this, GG has managed to cause several advertisers to withdraw from some of the offending sites.

One of the biggest issues though is that even though they have significant evidence of corruption (Game Journos Pro, journalists openly admitting conflicts of interest without any shame), GG has so little control of the PR to effectively get the message out.

I really don't see an issue with there being organized places for this discussion to happen. It's the only way anything actually gets done and it also helps keep people in check so they don't react to deliberately outrageous statements. Most of the garbage like GG supporters attacking people comes from outside of the open communities.

D

Deleted member

i just wish feminism and political correctness would stay the hell out of gaming, its way too high a price to tolerate that **** for "esports"

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
i just wish feminism and political correctness would stay the hell out of gaming, its way too high a price to tolerate that **** for "esports"
I agree completely, but it's wishful thinking. This exasperating battle to be addressed is banging on our door and will soon oblige to crash thru and we have to just deal with it. I need to be transparent that even I myself harbor unshakable feelings of chauvinism as a male member of the gaming community and I need to work those out. Maybe the time is right.

I don't even fully understand the GG issue fully. Is it just a peaking point of people's frustration with sexism in the gaming industry and community? Like is that how it can be summed up?

I'm confused because the thing that started this didn't seem to have anything to do with anything-- just a psychotic asshole trying to publicly slander his ex. I don't see how that would reasonably escalate into a venue-wide battle of social justice.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
ZQ's antics could have gone unnoticed entirely. It could have just been another typical scandal of corruption that got some amount of coverage and moved on. The thing that really kicked it off was an attempt to defy the Streisand Effect where ZQ filed a DMCA claim against someone who posted her ex's blogpost on her on Youtube. People got curious, tried to discuss it, and forums were banning discussion almost everywhere gaming related. Everything that happened within this time period is a gigantic mess, but what pushed people to make GamerGate was when more than 10 or so publications pushed the "Gamers are dead" articles.

The issues are ingrained in a couple of different areas that all connect with each other in some way. People want the SJW-types out of gaming journalism because of corruption, extreme political correctness, and poor journalism in an industry that demands a watchful eye over all the crap that happens with big name publishers.

It's frustrating because I do think there is a place for discussion on subjects like inclusivity and harassment within the community as well as touchy subjects in games. But these people blow it way out of proportion and propose that the best solution is censorship.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
There should be a place for the discussion, but it shouldn't be forced from people that have tunnel vision regarding their views. There is no value to a discussion when part of it is just screeching about patriarchy making games because of mysogyny. The most annoying thing is that mysogyny is not the reason games are made the way that they are, money is. If the companies felt they would make more money in producing games more friendly towards feminism, they would. Money is the name of the game, generally equality isn't as important to them.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Leave this here for people curious about the 8 player smash.

As for the Gamergate stuff I only know the basis and the reason why it started and somewhere down the line some of the discussion involving it got distorted heavily.

Bleck

Smash Master
The most annoying thing is that mysogyny is not the reason games are made the way that they are, money is. If the companies felt they would make more money in producing games more friendly towards feminism, they would.
pandering to misogynist views is misogynist

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
I watched a couple of Anita's videos. She comes across as qiite genuine, imo. I'm not a big proponent of femenism, but she obviously had some valid points. Why all the hate targeted at her?

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Leave this here for people curious about the 8 player smash.
Good find! Shulk's special status displaying as it activates is a really nice touch. It looks like the stocks get bigger the more players that are on screen at once, which is good.

I understand the preference to have stocks above as is tradition, but with both Little Mac and Shulk having special statuses that wouldn't be feasible. Especially since Brawl camouflaging the stocks on the battle portraits proved a bad design choice for readability.

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
I wish more people knew what feminism actually is, feminism is just by definition advocating gender equality, so that who you are isn't defined by the body you're born in, but by your actions, and has nothing to do with pro-female movements that a lot of people seem to think it does. I guess this is what happens when you have tons of people poorly representing (if at all) something, while thinking they actually do represent it.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Definitional arguing is the worst kind of arguing. You can by definition be for something but when in practice equality has already been achieved, with men lagging behind now in college rates and in pay for young singles, then after that what you actually want is privileges as a disadvantaged minority. Which is odd when you are not a minority and don't suffer from those hurdles anymore as a class. It's actually insulting to suggest otherwise.

Inb4 But nerds are real meanies and the media is sexist by objectifying mah exposed body!

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Why do you think there is such a huge backlash from men now? Because as a group they are subconsciously scared as hell that they are going to be the definitive losers in this current generation and be left out as the balance of power shifts before their very eyes. And knowing that they are not going to be given any special considerations or share in the wealth as most are considered disposable by everyone. See the military spitting out mangled bodies like clockwork. Always somebody else to take your place.

Portraying the new winners in this economy as helpless victims in the year 2014 makes no sense at all and is kinda chauvinist. The silly culture war is barely mirrored in reality.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
And now for the next subject of the "P:M Social Thread," which has already begun, is equality of women and GamerGate. Please keep hands and feet inside the vehicle while fighting.

D

Deleted member

I wish more people knew what feminism actually is, feminism is just by definition advocating gender equality, so that who you are isn't defined by the body you're born in, but by your actions, and has nothing to do with pro-female movements that a lot of people seem to think it does. I guess this is what happens when you have tons of people poorly representing (if at all) something, while thinking they actually do represent it.
i think at this point most people understand that only 5% of people within the feminist movement ruin it for the other 95% but at this point that vocal minority is so toxic that i dont want to listen to 19 reasonable people to put up with 1 bad one, personally i'm way past the point of apathy and just want them to go away. shallow or not , its still damn annoying

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
@ Soft Serve Soft Serve Yo, are you the Soft that went to Tiger Smash? I forgot if I've asked this before. I've heard not sleeping improves your memory so I've been trying that, it hasn't been working out though.
No, soft is an actually good melee player lol. I normally enter brackets as softie, although people ask me if I'm s0ft all the time online.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I am a SJW ama

also holy **** finally watched the viscant vs LTG match and **** why isn't smash beef that intense
because smash doesn't have as potent of an online scene, which means we don't get obnoxious ragequitters who always feel the need to talk trash post-match

the reason this happened was b/c viscant actually took up on his offer/threats to MM offline

also

gotta love everyone who takes moms against gaming seriously, they make dim-lighted afternoons brighter

Player -0

Smash Hero
I never really thought about it but on platforms anything out of dashes are super easy. Por ejemplo, Marth grabs Jiggz a half a dash away from the edge and down throws. Jiggz DI's but Marth dashes -> taunts -> edge cancels the taunt -> F-Smashes the Jiggz.

Wahahahahhahahahahahahah. Everyone who's tried to escape my F-Smashes shall now dieee.

Last edited:

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Gamer Gate should be about journalistic integrity, but both sides have succeeded in making it about social justice.
Also, not every scandal has to have "gate" in the name. Did your ****ty scandal take place in the Gamer Gate hotel? No, it didn't. In fact, it doesn't even show the slightest similarity to the Water Gate scandal. Please be original people. When people look back on all these scandals, they will think that we had no idea what we were talking about. They will be right, because we obviously don't.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So some of Tristate area is already trying to dictate rules as the standard for smash 4 already Lol whut?

Kati

Smash Lord
i think at this point most people understand that only 5% of people within the feminist movement ruin it for the other 95% but at this point that vocal minority is so toxic that i dont want to listen to 19 reasonable people to put up with 1 bad one, personally i'm way past the point of apathy and just want them to go away. shallow or not , its still damn annoying

like melee purists :O

Lizalfos

Smash Master
A week ago I was talking with a friend about phone apps. I mentioned that I was surprised an app doesn't exist where you photograph an equation and receive the solution. Now an app like that exists on the App Store, RIP math teachers.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
People should really not let NJ/NY exert monopoly over Smash 4. They may have streams and Apex, but it doesn't justify not taking other regions' opinions into consideration. Not saying that's what they're doing now, but it definitely can happen.

That's why I love the Texas/West coast scenes so much. They give us a different point of view (and extremely hype matches).

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
a universal ruleset that's only ever dictated by a single region is always completely gross, and the fact that tristate are so stubborn about it that they're willing to hurt everyone else long-term is a complete shame

I mean, like, we aren't all that better, but at least nobody's immediately clung to the MDVA ruleset for PM I guess

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
3 stocks is like Smash 4's Ebola, and the East Coast is just quarantining it fast before it does any more damage.

Never again - Meta Knight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom