• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M on Other Sites (Bring in the Demo 2 Discussions!)

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Now that Demo 2 is out, it's high time to turn the hype machine back on and reset this thread. What do you guys have for me?

PikiGeek Pre-Release (cool writeup, no comments)
IGN Writeup (DAMN, front page of IGN Wii)
IGN Daily Fix April 20 (Project:M in the same breath as Halo 4 and Diablo 3!)

[collapse="Previous Discussions"]
For some reason I'm kinda interested in what people are saying about P:M on other sites, but google isnt really helping me all that much, so I was wondering if we could create a list of articles and discussions on P:M currently taking place on other sites.

I've got a short long list so far:

GoNintendo I (obnoxious use of quotation marks, negative atmosphere)
1up (smart OP, somewhat positive)
Kotaku (AU) (pre-release - somewhat dumb OP, somewhat dumb response)
NeoGAF (let's see how this one pans out)
Reddit (Plenty of haters upvoting other haters)
AiB (Front page! Pretty positive here)
Kotaku Mk. II (post-release - kinda ****ish OP, plenty of haters)
PikiGeek (interview with Shanus!)
Show Me Your News (pre-release interview with Dantarion, Shanus, and Strong Bad)
Wired (somewhat of a "these guys are anti-Brawl" spin)
PikiGeek Mk. II (opinion article; anti-Brawl spin may incite negative comments)
Directional Influence Mk. I (Podcast/review)
Reddit Mk. II (looks to be better than the last one)
Screw Attack (High potential for negativity)
Pokemon the Abridged Series/Box of Danger (Go there now :p)
NSider (Haters getting shut down by UltiMario)
Spanish Project M Forum (take a guess.)
Penny Arcade (Haters getting shut down by Shadic)
Directional Influence Mk. II (Podcast 2: Pod Harder)
Serebii - locked within half an hour of being posted lol
PSPerspective (Copy of Wired's article)
Arlong Park ("Go play Melee"...people just dont learn :()
Gamereactor (it's in Danish)
IMDb (wooooooooooooo haters comin out of the woodwork)
Capcom-Unity
(few responses so far)
Mabination (whatever the hell Mabination is lol)
Colony of Gamers (a bit of misinformation here)
GoNintendo II (nice vid, mixed comments, Crispy is awesome)
Destructoid (Whoa! Awesome! If only Nintendo was Valve...)
[/collapse]

Scufo

Smash Apprentice
I just noticed the Kotaku article mentions that P:M is "whittling down the roster"

WOW THAT MAKES ME RAGE. Way to spread misinformation, Kotaku.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Kotaku is a casual gamer site that tries to state it is hardcore. They messed it all up.

Xyless

Smash Master
Also, the fact that Xyless and Slashy advertised brawl minus on the Project M Kotaku post. :V
Project M's creators are planning to release a demo version of their creation soon. In the meantime, are there any Super Smash Bros. mods you think are deserving of more attention?
Already made this point in Skype but I'll make it here again.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
There are some smart posters on Kotaku.
You just have to look hard.

IMO, you guys should save the whole PM on other sites until after Pound V.

Slashy

Smash Lord

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This might be crazy, but what if there was a mechanic that was exclusive to Project M that separates it from the other three Smash games that changed the way to play?

Other than that, "play Melee" probably won't ever go away.

Alex 615

Smash Apprentice
If almost doubling the roster size isn't enough to make people give up the "just play melee" argument, I doubt anything is.

Anteo

Smash Cadet
Guys, ask for a title change at neogaf, add "You don't need Homebrew to play it" or something like that.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
This might be crazy, but what if there was a mechanic that was exclusive to Project M that separates it from the other three Smash games that changed the way to play?
The entire Brawl roster Melee'fied, and a good portion of the entire cast fitted with new abilities. (Wario, Lucas, etc)

And Aerial Glide Tossing. Which is great, but doesn't matter for as much as all the former stuff.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Anyone post on any Street Fighter sites? I'm interested in what they would say.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Crispy, have you been advertising this as a sequel to Melee? Heck why not as a replacement to Melee? Melee is still being played now, so saying that this is supposed to be the new competitive game for those players. Why not focus more on changes done to Melee rather than to Brawl?

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Crispy, have you been advertising this as a sequel to Melee? Heck why not as a replacement to Melee? Melee is still being played now, so saying that this is supposed to be the new competitive game for those players. Why not focus more on changes done to Melee rather than to Brawl?
Project M's nickname is Melee 2.0. And I've been focusing on that, not how it compares with Brawl.

The Kotaku commenters are especially idiotic this time around. They're still whining about tournaments, no items and such when they could play this however they want. The OP's not great, but it doesn't even bring that up.

Basically, no one there is willing to take Project M at face value. They're too stuck up to realize it.

EDIT: By the way, someone in the GAF thread is asking for impressions. It needs to be bumped to answer that. There's not enough talk of the game in general, and too much about the setup.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Kotaku's post is more about casual players whining than it is about Project M. Honestly, im not even going to bother trying to clean that up.

The first 20 or so posts are just about items/noitemsfd with no actual discussion of Project M, which BTW, is playable with almost all items and stages.

LordJax

Smash Cadet
Every single time I hear this 'no items fox only final destination', it makes me want to punch the guy in the face atleast until I feel better.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Best Kotaku comment yet.

It always boggled my mind why tourney players are called elitists.

You're telling us to play with items, random factors that add random factors and to not use L-Cancel, Wavedash, etc... You're basically telling us: "Play like us" and "Majority rules, thus it's justifiable that you are ignored". Now let me destroy your arguments.

There is a reason why poeple play competitively. People like the feeling of mastery. There are individuals who enjoy getting better at something for the sake of getting better. Competition os but a means of testing onself by using others as a basis of comparison. People have fun when playing competitively, beleive it or not. the Project M team would not be making this game if they did not expect a rewarding experience at the end. By telling us to play like you, you are telling us to stop having fun. You are trying to impose your playstyle because you like it but couldn't care less about the well-being of others. So long as you are satisfied, other poeple's problems don't affect you. Now, now, who is being elitist?

The problem is that a lot of casual gamers (I'm not saying all of them) have grown to have a sense of entitlement. Because they are the majority, they think that they are always right. But the majority does not always take good decisions, mind you. Elitists don,t always have to be confined to small groups. I beleive most racism is North American countries are a form of racial elitism and is often expressed by individuals from the majority. If you were French Canadian, you would probably understand where I'm comng from.

My point is simple: You are accusing us of doing what you, yourself are doing. Imposing your gameplay experience upon others who do not want it.

To counter your argument about Fox, Final destination, no items: While it is true that items are turned off for tournaments (but are still enjoyed in some friendlies), Final destination is but one of the many legal stages. Most neutral stages like Battlefield are fine, and even dynamic stages like Rainbow Cruise are using as a counterpick. The only stages that are banned in tourneys are that that severely impede some characters. Mute City (Melee) is an example. Characters with bad recoveries (Falco, Link, etc...) tend to be VERY easily killed there.

In terms of characters, Fox is popular in tourneys, but so are Falco, Marth, Jigglypuff, Shiek and Captain Falcon. But each character has pros using them. This again, is a misconception. In fact, I could turn this around and say that in Brawl, Metaknight is so overpowered that he gets his own tier. Furthermore, Project M aims to make every character, no exceptions, tourney-viable. In other words, everyone will have a chance at kicking Fox's posterior.

The problem we have with Brawl is that it removed all of the competitive aspects. Project M can still be played for mindless fun, it is more hybrid in the sense that while it has been developed for hardcore play, casuals can still enjoy it, since it did not remove the core elements of the game. It plays like Melee with a hint of Brawl and Smash 64.

So enough of the close-minded foolishness. Project M does not aim to kill the casual community, nor does it aim to impose itself. It does however provide a more solid, fair and speedy gameplay. See it as an alternative for Brawl.

And I hate Brawl. They are making poeple like me happy. They should be praised, not insulted.

Now get informed before you comment, you're just embarassing yourself. (Edit comment)
BTW, make a blacklist of sites not to mention this.

4nace

Smash Ace
Kotaku's post is more about casual players whining than it is about Project M. Honestly, im not even going to bother trying to clean that up.
Clean what up? I thought you wanted to get news of the game out? That's exactly what Kotaku does. They go back and forth with Joystiq for the most visitors of any gaming blog by far.

Who cares if the comments are negative? The developer is not supposed to "school" kids on what their game is supposed to be imo. Time is better spent developing.

I do agree that going online and looking for people's reaction is important in a creative process. Hell, I google my own project every couple of days to see if people are talking about it. But I think it's better to just take the general consensus and use that to improve. There will be comments that are negative. But you don't see Bungie on forums saying,
"You don't get the point of Reach!"

As for Project M itself, it's looking cool. My buddy at Piki Geek showed me an article there too. I plan to buy an SD card for it eventually.

Also please dont advertise Project M on a smash land post again haha. The projects have very different goals.

-4nace

shanus

Smash Hero
Wired.com has a feature on us, but its spun in a way that really kind of skewed what i had spoken about to be very anti-brawl. I've asked for some clean-ups on the article (especially to recognize that snake is an exceptional character in brawl - but doesn't play well in a melee environment), but:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/02/project-m/

shanus

Smash Hero
I got them to edit a few points on the article, its a lot better now :)

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Ho-Ho-Ho-HOLY ****.
Haha, we're on Wired.
Awesome.
-DD

Ulevo

Smash Master
Damn, Shanus. And the opening article on Wired is sweet. The comments are really solid, too.

You guys are doing good with the reputation. Keep it up.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Wired article was very good I thought. Comments have been positive too - Isaac Schemm gets it, especially.

Top Bottom