• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Blue's number is pissing me off.

My team right now is a Tryranitar, Gyrados, Ampharos, Typhlosion, Pidgeot, and Umbreon. I don't think he'll give me too much trouble once my Umbreon is leveled up a bit. I wanna replay the game with Kanto starters, pissed they make you buy an entirely new game to replay it without losing you ****.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Snorlax will give you trouble. Otherwise, it looks very solid.

Bing

Smash Master
Does anyone on your team have screech? Just lower its defense then **** him. Should work fine, hopefully you can status him before so(Maybe fight until he rests, then do it)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What's the standard Genesect set?

I just run modest life orb 252 spa and spe 4 hp with rock polish thunderbolt ice beam flamethrower.

:phone:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Doesn't Genesect not exist yet?

That said, standard set is that or with U-Turn over Rock Polish and Bug Buzz somewhere.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Genesect@Choice Scarf
Naive / Download
4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
U-Turn
Thunderbolt
Flamethrower
Ice Beam

SOMETIMES Bug Buzz is used over one of the three to be able to stay in on those weak to bug, like Celebi. Usually running the elemental moves is a better idea, though.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
My friend and I were wondering if we got a Smeargle and have it learn Lock-On. Then, could you have it learn sheer cold/ horndrill/ fissure/ guilltine. Because lock-on insures the next move to hit, then you have a garrantued kill. Does this work? I undertand that 1HKO moves are banned in touramnet but this would fun regardless.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
My friend and I were wondering if we got a Smeargle and have it learn Lock-On. Then, could you have it learn sheer cold/ horndrill/ fissure/ guilltine. Because lock-on insures the next move to hit, then you have a garrantued kill. Does this work? I undertand that 1HKO moves are banned in touramnet but this would fun regardless.
As long as your opponent is not a higher level than you, then yes, that will get you a guaranteed kill. Mind Reader will also work as a substitute to Lock-On, and you can get that same thing on Articuno with Mind Reader and Sheer Cold.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You don't even need Smeargle, Articuno learns Mind Reader and Sheer Cold.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
As long as your opponent is not a higher level than you, then yes, that will get you a guaranteed kill. Mind Reader will also work as a substitute to Lock-On, and you can get that same thing on Articuno with Mind Reader and Sheer Cold.
Alright, totally forgot about mind reader. Thanks yall.

Edit: 1HKO moves don't work on pokemon a higher level, but what about at the same level (like in a flat battle)

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Is there a place to get help for Battle Subway on B/W? I want working teams, or ideas. I tried to impliment T-Tar, but he is just so weak to too many things for insane AI to destroy.

Also, i'm getting into the TCG. Anyone play this? :3

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I got traded a level 1 (newly hatched) modest larvesta which I'd like to EV train. I've never EV trained before so I have a couple of questions:

-What would be the best pokes to train on to boost spa and spe?
-I know traded pokes get a 1.5 exp boost, but I heard something about them reveing lower ev yields or ganing less stats or something like that. I just wanted to know if that's true or not.
- I don't fully understand the mechanics of ev training. If I give it an exp share and battle a level 60 poke, so it grows like 10 levels, will it get the max boosts for every level, or does it only get an ev yield for one level?

Thanks in advance.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I got traded a level 1 (newly hatched) modest larvesta which I'd like to EV train. I've never EV trained before so I have a couple of questions:

-What would be the best pokes to train on to boost spa and spe?
-I know traded pokes get a 1.5 exp boost, but I heard something about them reveing lower ev yields or ganing less stats or something like that. I just wanted to know if that's true or not.
- I don't fully understand the mechanics of ev training. If I give it an exp share and battle a level 60 poke, so it grows like 10 levels, will it get the max boosts for every level, or does it only get an ev yield for one level?

Thanks in advance.
-Each Basculin you defeat gives two EVs for speed. Go to the Celestial Tower for special attack since Elgyem and Litwick each give one EV in it.
-Traded pokemon do not have lower yields or anything lower. They only get 1.5x EXP unless they are international which would get 1.7x.
-The EVs are applied every battle in BW. You won't notice the changes, but it is already applied. It is up to you to keep track.

Bing

Smash Master
When you give something expshare, it levels up 1 level at a time for x amount of levels. So you would only get the ev yield for one level.

Also isnt a better idea to ev train something in its final form? That way the ev yield has a great effect aka. a Machop gets like +3 attack per level. Machoke gets +4 Machamp gets +5 So If I ev it at Machamp, wouldnt that have the greatest effect?(I pulled the + numbers out of my *** btw)

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
It doesn't matter when you EV train. The only difference from using final forms over first forms is that it might be easier to see the difference the EVs make to its stats.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
So I'm guessing that the best way to ev train a level 1 poke is to exp share it until it gets to the level where can it can fight the ev yielder itself, then just train on that until level 100.

Is there a way to know when a stat is maxed out?

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
So I'm guessing that the best way to ev train a level 1 poke is to exp share it until it gets to the level where can it can fight the ev yielder itself, then just train on that until level 100.
For the sake of saving time, most give the Pokémon they're raising the Power item for the stat they're training for, lead with it in battle with the target and switch to something can kill it, but your way works fine too.

Also, a Pokémon can only earn up to 255 EVs in a single stat and 510 EVs total for all stats so you don't need to train on the target until level 100 unless you want to.

Is there a way to know when a stat is maxed out?
There's no way in-game to check how many EVs a Pokémon has earned nor in which stat(s). The only way to know for sure is to keep track of it yourself. You can know if your Pokémon is maxed on all EVs for all stats by speaking to a specific NPC. In B/W, this person is in Opelucid City.

Hope this helped.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Thanks. I forgot to ask before, if you just walk/bike into a wall, are they counted as steps?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Thanks. I forgot to ask before, if you just walk/bike into a wall, are they counted as steps?
No, just walking/biking into a wall doesn't count as steps, unfortunately. I think the only free steps like that are the mach bike slopes in third and fourth gen (though the ones in fourth gen are so slow, as I recall, that it would be nearly useless).

SpiredMoth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1813-9781
Actually the slopes don't work in fourth gen. Instead people abused the movement panels by constantly walking into one that sends you back in the direction you came.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
So um,

A) Anyone SR for amazing Victini/Reshi/Zekrom Event Pokemons? I got a decent Victini/Reshiram, but since I use Pokegen for competitive pokemons I just wanted decent ones for collectables.

B) Guessing no one here plays TCG :/

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
^ Actually doing new stuff. My channel (See: Sig) will have a video of me and my girlfriend unboxing Next Destinys

We got 1 Full Art Reshiriam(she is so lucky), Zekrom, and Shaymin EX.

Got one of each bird, 5 double colorless, and a slew of good pokemon. (2 Holo Scrafty and a Holo Gardevoir ftw!)

Want to buy another box honestly, just to pull Mewtwo. But I'm a bit of a collector, so my next step is getting Kyurem/Reshiram Tin's, which will have crap pulls. I want that Zekrom FA/Mewtwo EX though...

On another note, just beat Super Singles on White. Feeling epic atm. Wanting to know what you guys did for Super Doubles?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Would it be impossible to beat the battle subway monotype? Specifically mono bug.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Would it be impossible to beat the battle subway monotype? Specifically mono bug.

I'm going to go ahead and say yes. The Super Battles form their teams against you. You'd most likely run into battle47 with a Moltres, Heatran, and Entei or something. It's pretty stupid.

What I used:

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Timid / 6HP/252Satt/252Speed
~T-Bolt
-Destiny Bond
~Shadow Ball
~hidden power ice 70

Can take 1 down always, a lot of the times 2, sometimes even 3.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Jolly / 6hp / 252att/252Speed
~Outrage
~Earthquake
~Fire Fang
~Rock Slide

Great coverage, I do not use CB because of my third + Chomp has a lot of options.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant / 252hp / 252Att / 6Def
Technician
~Bullet Punch
~Bug Bite
~Superpower
~Pursuit

My Strategy was use Gengar to make it 2v2 or 2v1. Then if it's 2v2, I either go Chomp or Scizor depending on what I think is best. If it's 2v2, I always go Scizor>Chomp since he has no options, and finish!

I know no one asked this, but I kinda wanted to post it to see if it helps :3

Also got 2 Reshiram Fullarts today<3 or this week rather.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
I play Oldschool TCG...
**** yah, me too. We even have a classic card "club" at my school started by my friend and I. *Forever Virgins

On an unrelated note, how do you get a damp rock in Soul Silver without the pokewalker, because that would take forever.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We did a looooong time ago.

If I updated, I guess I can technically host it again, but it still wouldn't be for long.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
My Horsea has Swift Swim and i eventually want my Kingdra to have Swift Swim but Seadra cant have the ability swift swim. Seadra has the abilities sniper and poison point. If my Horsea had swift swim, will my Kingdra get swift swim again or is there the chance that it will change to sniper. I need to know so I can get multiple dragon scales if it does.

Edit: this sounds kinda confusing...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Horsea's Ability 1 is Swift Swim
Seadra's Ability 1 is Poison Point
Kingdra's Ability 1 is Swift Swim

So yeah, a Swift Swim Horsea will evolve into a Poison Point Seadra, and then a Swift Swim Kingdra.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about my random questions, but I want to get darkrai and the only way to do that is by getting the member's card via Nintendo WFC. I've done the necessary steps to getting the mystery gift (talk to the reporter) but when I went to recive it, there was nothing there. Did Nintendo cancel this now that its been a few years or was it a limited time only thing? OR, am I doing it all wrong?

Edit: just did a Google search and found that it was an event. Rats. Is there any other way to get a darkrai without an action replay or trading online?

Top Bottom