• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, Darkrai can only be obtained through an event. If you have Pokémon Black/White, though, a Darkrai event just started up.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
No, Darkrai can only be obtained through an event. If you have Pokémon Black/White, though, a Darkrai event just started up.
Well, that's convenient. Stupid question, but I don't suppose there is a way to go down a generation in Black/White like the time machine in the old games is there?

in case its not clear, I like 4th gen much better...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
There is a way provided you have one of the early released versions of Diamond/Pearl thats japanese :laugh:
Right, I forgot about that method, though the chances of somebody being in possession of one such version are slim.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Im making a hail team and my friend has a sandstorm team. How should I handle that, like how should I EV train my abamasnow if I know hes leading with a hippowdon, or what should i lead in general? Should I have another pokemon learn hail just in case?

Bing

Smash Master
Having another pokemon learn hail is just a smart idea in general..

I'm pretty sure the Hippowdon is slower so I think the sandstorm would be the winning weather effect.

However Abomasnow has grass traits so that shouldnt be an issue.

I'd just ev it like so 16 Def / 252 SpA / 240 Spe or something like that.

Maybe even having Abomasnow learn Hail itself wouldnt be such a bad idea... This way because the sandstorm would come out over hail, you could just hail over it and hope he doesnt have anything else with Sandstorm.(Doubt it because Im pretty sure he'd have a Tyranitar aswell)

Now for my own person question. I already posted this in the General gameplay area but I'll post it again here.

What happiness rating does eevee need to evolve? Ive only leveled it in the day. and I did the calculations and I have an estimated happiness rating of 114/220. Any thoughts?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
happiness of 220.

Max happiness is 255.

Also, about Hail.
Don't lead with Abomasnow. Lead with something else. Use Snover too if you must, but putting Hail on another Pokemon is a waste of a moveslot. Hail is not a good enough of a weather effect to just slap in on a Pokemon.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Also, about Hail.
Don't lead with Abomasnow. Lead with something else. Use Snover too if you must, but putting Hail on another Pokemon is a waste of a moveslot. Hail is not a good enough of a weather effect to just slap in on a Pokemon.
Who do you suggest leading then? We play no legends so no Azelf or something.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Why I ran my hail team I used Mamoswine.
Thats not that bad of an idea, I do happen to have one of those.

On another note......someone I know just created a team consisting entirely of Gengars, all of which know destiny bond. Do I simply make sure I have a pokemon that can outspeed and get a good dark attack in or is there something more to it, because it seems like a really dumb idea, but yet i feel like it could catch me up.

Bing

Smash Master
Destiny Bond... The user faints BEFORE the other person regardless so I suppose it doesnt really matter...

Also its a Ghost type move, so using Normal types ***** that little plan.

Speaking of Gengar Im doing a Nuzlocke of HeartGold and I was considering this as his moveset.

Substitute
Pain Split
Curse
<Insert some damaging move like Shadow Ball or Focus Blast>

thoughts?

Bing

Smash Master
Well my idea is to stall. I mean it takes 1/4 of there hp. So basically so the setup is.

Sub. turn 1
Curse Turn 2
PainSplit Turn 3 to Recover some hp
Attack with whatever.

Not a good idea? :S

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Destiny Bond... The user faints BEFORE the other person regardless so I suppose it doesnt really matter...

Also its a Ghost type move, so using Normal types ***** that little plan.
Normal types work, but they really don't fit into the team im making at the moment. I just feel like it will be annoying because aside from possibly taking out a few pokemon, he will then just destiny bond when i get a good switch in or something. Idk, maybe im just over estimating its worth, he didnt EV train them at all i dont think, and he's not the best stratagist either, which makes me question why im even concerned about his team in the first place. They prolly all have the same moveset or something dumb.

Bing

Smash Master
Odds are they do. Infact Im willing to bet that if you get something with Insomnia, you've just ****ed up his day. All of there movesets are probably like

Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Destiny Bond
Nightmare/ShadowBall.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well my idea is to stall. I mean it takes 1/4 of there hp. So basically so the setup is.

Sub. turn 1
Curse Turn 2
PainSplit Turn 3 to Recover some hp
Attack with whatever.

Not a good idea? :S
It would work if Gengar didn't take >50% from every single neutral attack.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Odds are they do. Infact Im willing to bet that if you get something with Insomnia, you've just ****ed up his day. All of there movesets are probably like

Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Destiny Bond
Nightmare/ShadowBall.
Holy poop! You are so right! Ill be sure to tell you when I play him the movesets.

Insomnia Noctowl that wont go to sleep or take ghost hits? Is it weird that I'm really happy about completely ****ing him?

Or do i go for the safegaurd on a decent lead pokemon that will outspeed him?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
All AI does is attack you

it breaks your subs in one hit, since it's not doing wacky switch predictions like real players.

The best way to run a gengar is probably like Hypnosis + 3 attacks or something lol

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
I'll probably go with
Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Shadow Ball
FocusBlast?
I feel like he would think he's being clever by running the first 3, and have each gengar know a different type, like icebeam, energy ball, some water move, thunderbolt, flamethrower, and then shadow ball or something

Of coarse if that isnt your guess for the guys moveset and infact the moveset you were talking about earlier, this seems a little awkward. If it is your own move set, focus balst isnt bad for type coverage but i hate accuracy problems, so i would go with a more reliable move like icebeam or something for the coverage, but thats me

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah FocusBlast was just a thought, I could use anything lol.

Based on my current team, I'll probably move towards something like EnergyBall seeing as I have no electric or Grass types in my team.

Ice beam is for Nidoqueen!

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
What about Hidden Power fighting type?

Its a special type attack with 100% accuracy

Though its power apparently varies from 30 to 70

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
I cant really pick its typing.. Can I?

This isnt for a Pokemon Online team, its for a playthrough lol.
You can but its through some crazy **** algorithm crap. Something that im pretty sure is not possible in Nuzlocke

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Gengar learns none of these moves.
Really? I just rattled off popular special attacks without bothering to look it up. I guess that means its like all shadow balls then...

Also, is there a flat battle feature in DPP, like there is for HG/SS?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I was playing Stadium on 64 and it took two body slams from the computer's lapras to break my mewtwo's sub. However, once I maxed out my spc with amnesia it was breaking my sub with one bslam

Is there some mechanic that explains this? It happened two battles in a row. It R2 Ultra Ball Prime Cup final, so I want to know if it's a legit mechanic or the AI just doing anything it can to win.

:phone:

Top Bottom