• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prof. Oak's Lab: The Q&A Thread - USE THIS

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
is there an actual reason the snorlax room closed

that place was cool
Probably a question better asked in the SmashBoards Information Center, but...

Basically the problem is that many of the social threads became too social, leading to useless one-liners and the like which were infractable by the global rules, or just becoming a catch-all thread that ended up confining all of the discussion in a forum to one thread, essentially defeating the purpose of a forum. Thus, the administration decided to shut down the social threads in the general forums.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
that generally happens among active forum vets regardless

i barely posted here (excepting the counter game) and still felt i could chime in whenever and not be shunned

whatever

edit: to be fair, i think a forum not focused on mario, zelda, pokemon or general gaming (as smashboards hopefully is) should welcome any sort of related discussion on those topics, especially since dedicated communities tend to be smaller and topics will generally be in one of two veins: casuals asking 'what's your favourite starter pokemon' and vets discussing stuff, eg. 'help with building team around LO aggron' - an active social thread helps break those bounds, it's somewhere where both competitive and casual players can just chat about pokemon, a community common-room, if you will

the one-liner point makes sense, but idc, forums are meant for social interaction, and one-liners don't exactly take away from that significantly, especially if it's not a topic that needs elaborating on

if im overstepping my bounds in saying this, then bleh, but i don't feel that the nintendo franchise forums needed social thread closure

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
that generally happens among active forum vets regardless

i barely posted here (excepting the counter game) and still felt i could chime in whenever and not be shunned

whatever

edit: to be fair, i think a forum not focused on mario, zelda, pokemon or general gaming (as smashboards hopefully is) should welcome any sort of related discussion on those topics, especially since dedicated communities tend to be smaller and topics will generally be in one of two veins: casuals asking 'what's your favourite starter pokemon' and vets discussing stuff, eg. 'help with building team around LO aggron' - an active social thread helps break those bounds, it's somewhere where both competitive and casual players can just chat about pokemon, a community common-room, if you will

the one-liner point makes sense, but idc, forums are meant for social interaction, and one-liners don't exactly take away from that significantly, especially if it's not a topic that needs elaborating on

if im overstepping my bounds in saying this, then bleh, but i don't feel that the nintendo franchise forums needed social thread closure
Honestly, I agree with the administration's decision, but either way you're better off going to Forum Support with this than telling me, as I'm not the one who made the decision nor would I be the one to reverse it.

Sooo hello all. I was going to start a thread in Pokemon Lab, but I decided to check here first and it seems there's already been some talk on what I would like to do. Sort of.

Anyway, to start, I'm aware that there are a few people in here interested in the TCG/competitive TCG (cough asianaussie ranmaru espy kprime). I don't know if any of you remember, but way back in the 90's there was a Pokemon Trading Card Game for the Gameboy Colour. That was my first video game ever. And Jesus did I love it. So recently I've been playing that thing and an English patch of its sequel a **** ton. And I've been constantly wondering what it would be like if they had made more games up until at least the Neo expansions and enabled online play. I tried the Pokemon TCG online thing, but I didn't really like it because they sprite-y look of the games is what really hooked me on them. That and the insane accessibility of nearly all the cards to build decks to your heart's content. So I thought, "Why the hell not," and gave spriting a try.

What I'm trying to get at here with all this rambling is to see how many people would be interested in trying a project aimed at getting something basically exactly like the two Gameboy games online, and expanding it to include, well, more expansions. I know next to nothing about coding (and even then, what I do know is just Melee and Brawl, nothing Gameboy-related), but I think my sprites look pretty good. So yeah, who would be interested?

Here's what I've done.

[collapse=Expansion Symbols]
[collapse=Neo Genesis]
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/75/SetSymbolNeo_Genesis.png

Neo Genesis (First Attempt, Smaller)-

Neo Genesis 2 (Second Attempt, Bigger)-
[/collapse]
[collapse=Neo Discovery]
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f8/SetSymbolNeo_Discovery.png

[/collapse]
[collapse=Neo Revelation]
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/c/c6/SetSymbolNeo_Revelation.png

[/collapse]

[collapse=Neo Destiny]
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/8/88/SetSymbolNeo_Destiny.png

[/collapse]
[collapse=Wizards Black Star Promo]
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/1/1e/Promosymbol.png

[/collapse][/collapse]
They all stay within the 16x16 resolution/three colours limit for expansion symbol sprites. They aren't resizes, even though they do kind of look like it. I'm probably going to do some more soon (Southern Islands, Best of Game, first edition, second edition, etc.)

Metal/Darkness Energies-

These stay within the 8x8/three colour limit for small energy sprites. I had finished a big energy (card) sprite for Metal energy a few months back, but forgot to back it up somewhere before I got my laptop fixed. :c I'll probably be redoing them soon.

Pokemon-

[collapse=Typhlosion]
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/4c/TyphlosionNeoGenesis18.jpg

Base Card Sprite

Card Sprite with Holography

Doctored In-Game Card Summary (First Page)
[/collapse]
[collapse=Skarmory]
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b8/SkarmoryNeoGenesis13.jpg

Base Card Sprite

Card Sprite with Holography (I know that the stock card image has a grey "band", but when I did that I honestly didn't like how it looked)

[/collapse]
[collapse=Sneasel]
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/42/SneaselNeoGenesis25.jpg

Base Card Sprite

Card Sprite with Background

[/collapse]
The card sprites all stayed within the 64x48 resolution limit, and utilised seven colours, including black and white. The amount of colours in a single card sprite in the second game vary between five (as in Base Set Vulpix) and eight (as in Promo Arcanine). I stayed conservative and only used seven.

So that's pretty much it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Just wanted to note here that I moved all of the posts relating to this discussion (and copied the original one above) to a new thread in the Pokémon Lab since discussion was starting to develop and I wanted to keep the Q&A thread clear of that. The thread's located here.

(Feel free to edit the title and everything as you like, I just threw up a title there so the thread was identifiable.)

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Does Zekrom's values reset if you accidentally beat him? He speed tied with my Reshiram with a speed stat of 121, but I accidentally KO'd him. When I rebattled him to catch him, Zekrom had a speed of 93... :/

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
My friend caught a shiny in Sapphire, and I want it in my Soul Silver game. Is there a way to be able to retrieve it?

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
My friend caught a shiny in Sapphire, and I want it in my Soul Silver game. Is there a way to be able to retrieve it?
When you get to Fuschia City, you can migrate it and capture it in Pal Park. Is your friend letting you have it?

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
oh ok cool, yah ive beat SS (over 300 hours logged) and trying to create an all natural shiny team and he's beat Sapphire so many times he dont even care

also, while you can go up genrations, i'm assuming its impossibel to go down generations, say, give a pokemon with pokerus to a friend with Yellow?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
also, while you can go up genrations, i'm assuming its impossibel to go down generations, say, give a pokemon with pokerus to a friend with Yellow?
Yes. Transfer back-and-forth between Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal is possible (as long as no new Pokémon or moves are transported back to R/B/Y), but beyond that, there is no backward trading. You can't trade between Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and anything before it due to the lack of compatibility between Game Boy and Game Boy Advance. Also, the methods for Pokémon transferring in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and Black/White are one-way, only allowing you to bring older Pokémon into newer games.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Yes. Transfer back-and-forth between Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal is possible (as long as no new Pokémon or moves are transported back to R/B/Y), but beyond that, there is no backward trading. You can't trade between Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and anything before it due to the lack of compatibility between Game Boy and Game Boy Advance. Also, the methods for Pokémon transferring in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver, and Black/White are one-way, only allowing you to bring older Pokémon into newer games.
Cool thanks, he'll be bummed to learn he has to find the hard way like me.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Nice to see I still have the last post on this page. This time I have a different Pokemon question. Recently me and my friend (same friend) have been getting really into the first gen Pokemon TCG and we built some mediocre decks but want to remake them into really cool strategy based decks. Does anyone have any ideas how to do so or just put a link to a website or thread along these lines. Keep in mind, we are only using first gen cards (like 1995ish) so we are a little limited.

So I realise this probably isn't the best place to ask, but I'll go ahead anyway.

I've recently gotten back into the Pokemon TCG, so I'm planning on attending a prerelease event for the Next Destinies expansion. On the official Pokemon website, it says

The admission charge provides you with 6 booster packs of the Pokémon TCG: Black & White—Next Destinies expansion, which you’ll use to build your deck. These cards are yours to keep after you complete the event.
I've never even competed in an official TCG league tournament, so I have a few questions. It says that each entrant will be provided with six booster packs with which to construct a deck to compete in the event. This technically works, seeing how each pack contains ten cards. The thing is, I've bought quite a few packs from Black & White/Emerging Powers/Noble Victories, and have only gotten one single energy card. This obviously isn't enough to make a deck anywhere near viable, lol. So I was wondering if anyone knows if these packs are geared toward deck building in that they are guaranteed/have a higher chance of containing energy cards? If not, is one allowed to construct a deck with cards from outside sources? etc. Thanks in advance.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You'd likely be disqualified if you're found to be using cards from outside sources. That would be "cheating."

Likely these TCG packs will be slightly altered in card rarity to give you move viable deck options, as the company likely expects you to get your energy from buying decks or something, which contain like 15 energy a piece or something ridiculous like that.

Ahhh really? That's lame, but understandable I guess. Thanks a bunch for the reply. I was going to build a Klinklang based deck, and really, I have most of the cards BUT the energy... I was going to incorporate some Mysterious Treasures and EX Delta Species metal energy, but come to think of it, those are probably out of rotation anyway, huh?

Thanks again.

Arcansi

Smash Champion
1. You would be disqualified if you used any cards outside of the card pool you're given (the 6 boosters.) (this includes buying decks, btw)

2. The rarity is NOT changed at ALL during the event. You're given packs just as if you had bought them.

3. Energies are provided in immense amounts, in my experience they were all just in a box and you had to give them back after, but i don't know what it will be like in your area.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Couple of follow up things to that question, as Arcansi said, energies are provided in vast quantities, I'm pretty sure all league leaders have boxes upon boxes of energies so you shouldn't worry about that. And yes as he said, booster packs that you get will have the same rarity values as retail packs.

Also to consider is that prerelease decks consist of 40 cards over the standard 60 cards so although you do indeed get 60 cards from the packs, you will in reality only be using under half of those as you usually dedicate more than 10 spaces to energies. Also little tip, put any trainer or supporter cards you get into your deck regardless of what it is, unless it will be obviously useless (eg junk arm in triumphant when junk arm was the only trainer card)

Well, I went yesterday. It seemed like everyone got one to three full art Pokemon-EX cards, but maybe that's going to be "standard" in the full release? Anyway, yeah, you got your cards, went to the organiser, and they gave you energies, which you got to keep afterwards. I did kind of so-so because it was my first TCG tournament, but now I know what to expect.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Replaying sapphire for fun. Trying to come up with a proper team in the long run, this is the game I remember the least so I'm wondering if anyone can help me think of a good team to strive for just for the playthrough.

so far I'm aiming for flygon, breloom and blaziken. I'm going to need a water, I'm undecided if I want to keep my tailow or ralts right now or focus on training my starter and shroomish.

I understand EVs and the competitive aspect of the game, but right now I just want help in thinking up a casual team.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I heard the GSC games will die out due to the battery or something like that, will that happen with RBY too?

Also, just a little trivia, can anyone name the pokemon that has the same base speed as its second stage evo, but is faster than its final stage evo?

:phone:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Also, just a little trivia, can anyone name the pokemon that has the same base speed as its second stage evo, but is faster than its final stage evo?
I thought of the Magby / Elekid lines at first, but it's not quite right. Anyway, holy crap, that guy that's slow is really slow. That's a pretty significant speed difference, too.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm guessing you know who it is, although I don't think the final stage evo is really that slow, he's not snorlax or rhydon slow. The speed difference is pretty significant though. Unless we're thinking of different mons.

:phone:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Correct.

I'm still looking for an answer to the RBy cartridge question though.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
RBY will die out. My Red is dead, albeit the process is much slower. My Silver died before Red did, and I got both about 2 years after their release, if it makes any comparison to how much longer it takes.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey guys, I'm looking to make a mono bug team on cartridge and I was wondering what the best combination would be. I've beaten the E4 (the first time) and have access to soulsilver and white version, so I can obtain pretty much every bug.

My current thinking is to have 3 specials and 3 physicals. So I was thinking of volcarona, venomoth and galvantula as the specials. Volc is obvious, moth is because sleep powder+quiver dance is really good in game since they usually don't switch out, except I couldn't find a tinted lens one and had to settle for shield dust. Galvantula is for unique coverage and and accurate stab thunder. I was also thinking of yanmega too,

As for physicals, I was thinking of scizor. For the other two slots I was tossing up between armaldo, durant, heracross and escavalier. The only reason I'm considering armaldo (he doesn't have swift swim) is to be able to hit fires and flyers hard.

It has in-game challenges in mind, but I'm also considering taking it to wifi battles. I've never wifi battled before on cartridge, and my pokes aren't ev trained, and their natures aren't perfect either, I just made sure they didn't negate their most important stat (although I do have a modest compound eyes galvantula).

I was wondering how many people ev train their pokes, because it seems like a lot of effort.

Thanks in advance.

ChicknMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Any good suggestions for a 4th gen UU/OU (no ledgendaries) rain dance team with 5 pokemon limit? Kinda restricting but yah.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I remember when my Gold died out, I was so sad.

So I took my brother's Silver instead ^^
My gold still works (some how) so did my crystal and silver until I lost them a few years ago, not sure where they are. It's weird that my gold's battery is fine and my sapphire has run out...but the bettaery is sapphire doesn't effect much.

I was wondering if anyone knows any tricks to keep my Gold running...forever. I googled it and it seems like it's just a waiting game and when it does you need to replace the battery yourself. I'd like to keep the thing running, if no one knows a way to do so could any one tell me what kind of battery it takes. It might be worth soldering a new calculator battery into it.

Varist

Smash Lord
JESUS christ VOLT ABSORB LANTURN IS THE BEST POKEMON IN THE WHOLE ****ING GAME

OOPS DIDNT MEAN TO CENSOR DODGE

IT'S JUST THAT FFFFFFFFFUUUUU THAT POKEMON

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Please only use this thread for questions and answers, not general comments.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I've got a question and I'm looking for an answer.

I can't get Blue's number in HG and all my pokemon are full happiness. I brought my Umbreon to get it groomed by Daisy four times so far but it won't she won't do it anymore and she won't give me the number. I've checked it's happiness and it's full but all she says is "Come join me" Is it because I messed with the clock and she knows so I have to wait until I reach that time for real? I'm sure that I have gotten to 3:00 legit though and she still said this.

Also Could I beat Red with lvl 65+ so long as I use type advantages? I'm pretty sure that I can but I just got my LArvitar and Eevee EV trained and evolved this week so I was waiting to level them up before facing him but I figure I might as well just go now.

Bing

Smash Master
Depends on Pokemon you are using to fight Red. Cause Type advantage might be enough provided the Pokemon you are using are decent. Maybe try and get some weather bonuses in there too.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You can beat Red with like level 50-55s if you have good types/bulky mons. I did so in my HeartGold.

IDK about Blue's number though. Wait 24 hours maybe?

Top Bottom