• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Probably going to get back into Competitive Pokemon TCG

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well, I deleted Hamachi

That **** was screwing up my connection for some reason so I decided it was better if it was taken off

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Hmm, just played a match with a few friends. Got really boring late game lol, dunno if I'm interested anymore.

Then again, we restricted anything above the fossil expansion metagame. I'll have to see how the game is with the less old / newer expansions.

Magmar and Super Energy Removal ruin everything -_-

mood4food77

Smash Hero
so i tried playing around with red shark on my own...it just doesn't make sense

i'd rather try it out with one of you guys to learn it since i never really played the TCG when i was younger....

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I dunno if this is the right place to post, but since Yugioh took such a downhill turn (I play post-GX/5DS with some friends, but since that metagame is...dead...yeah) I wondered if the new TCG is any good lol?

Pete278

Smash Lord
I dunno if this is the right place to post, but since Yugioh took such a downhill turn (I play post-GX/5DS with some friends, but since that metagame is...dead...yeah) I wondered if the new TCG is any good lol?
Yugioh dies, and your first instinct is to jump to the Pokemon TCG, not to Magic? :p For shame, sir.

On topic, I have a for-fun-only Arceus deck, which doesn't really have a late game, and the early game is too slow to not need a late game. It makes me sad that such a ****** deck is so blatantly uncompetitive. :(

Tamoo

Smash Master
I don't see how any of the cards from the new undaunted set really fits in with the metagame. I can see there being a use for vileplume but that's really it :/ honestly kinda dissapointed with it.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Experimenting with a 1-1 Houndoom UD in Sablock. For 2 darkness do 50 + discard an opponent's card from their hand.

Also liking Unown DARK in Sablock. Helped me get a donk the other day!

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yugioh dies, and your first instinct is to jump to the Pokemon TCG, not to Magic? :p For shame, sir.

On topic, I have a for-fun-only Arceus deck, which doesn't really have a late game, and the early game is too slow to not need a late game. It makes me sad that such a ****** deck is so blatantly uncompetitive. :(
Thing is, I heard Magic can be ungodly expensive (I know all TCG can though), and Pokemon just interests me...

The new cards look cool too >.>

Where is a good place I can learn about the new TCG (This generation of cards?) To learn strategies, cards I should buy, etc. I'd weant to buy the newish ones, not the old ones I know XD.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
I don't see how any of the cards from the new undaunted set really fits in with the metagame. I can see there being a use for vileplume but that's really it :/ honestly kinda dissapointed with it.
Whenever Legends awakened rotates out more of them will be used. Though a lot of these cards have some potential though they do suck compared to the prior sets.

Energy exchanger is good it lets you switch a basic for a special energy essentially.
Team Rocket's trickery is better than bill
If you want to play legends legend box is necessary.
Alph lithography Is good for returning stadiums to your hand so your opponent can't use them.
Flower shop lady is better than night maintenance.
Sneasel expert belt, 4 plus power, two darkness energy (theoretically 4) with the potential to do 220 damage. 160 with just an expert belt and two darkness energy.

I don't like the new umbreon espeon primes, I think the regulars are better. Right now I have a t-tar UL paired with umbreon UD and spiritomb AR, still needs some tweaking but it works as a pretty good shut down. 1-1 Houndoom is there for now because it works ok with spiritomb. Umbreon shuts the poke power attackers down while t-tar sets up to ****.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
lol funny I got back into Yu-Gi-Oh! . :p

I used to play the TCG for Pokémon when I was a kid. I even played in those card shops where they had "Gym Leaders" and everything. I got the first English Mew card from registering for it. I still have it too. So many good memories with such old cards...

Oh well. Least in Yu-Gi-Oh! I can still troll with the heart of the cards. It's still fun to me. ... I wanna bust out my old Pokémon cards again and see what I have. I have a lot of good ol' stuff.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Thing is, I heard Magic can be ungodly expensive (I know all TCG can though), and Pokemon just interests me...

The new cards look cool too >.>

Where is a good place I can learn about the new TCG (This generation of cards?) To learn strategies, cards I should buy, etc. I'd weant to buy the newish ones, not the old ones I know XD.
Sixprizes.com & TheJwittz on Youtube is excellent.

So are Legend and Level X cards banned or what?
Nope. Completely legal.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
sp level x's are pretty much standard right now. Legends are hard to use as a tech without dedicating an entire deck to it so a lot of people don't run them. Unless it's like surprise raikou and entei, who can drop 80 damage on all pokemon with poke-powers.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
It's worth noting that there's a trainer card that lets you search yoour deck for Legend cards or something.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I decided to build off my Chaos Control Deck.

Keeping Tyranitar, though probably going to get the one with Megaton Tail soonish
Then (since Tyranitar is built off fighting prevos), have:

Lucario/Toxicroak/Onix(Temp)/Hariyama

Then on the other side, Psychic:

Mismaigus/Metang(Getting Metagross)

I'd like to take out Onix for Metagross, and then maybe the random Latias I have and some other things for a Crobat line to work, but that might make too many Pokemons D:

Tamoo

Smash Master
Currently running a blastgatr deck and having quite a lot of trouble with luxray so thinking of either putting in a 1-1 line of donphan or 1-0-1 line of machamp. Thoughts on which is better?

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Machamp will help with all of your SP matchups. Donphan does too, but I like the one-shot better than 60 and 10 to your bench.

Tamoo

Smash Master
it's actually getting to be quite a hard choice, my initial thought too was machamp due to all round sp deck counterability but i think im slowly leaning towards donphan
machamp does have an overall advantage but will require a rare candy on an already rare candy dependant deck of two stage 2 lines.
donphan on the other hand doesn't need rare candies, has a great body and has the all important resistance. The 10 to the bench is a pain but i think it hurts opponents more than me because it's all important damage on benched luxray lvx for a one turn kill from blastoise and helps out against other 100+ hp pokemon. I on the other hand run dawn stadium so the 10 damage isn't too much of an issue considering im gonna have to be putting plenty of energies on my pokes.
i guess testing is in order :urg:

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
My thought was that since your deck runs rare candies already it'd be a better idea.

But Donphan requires less cards, and is more match up specific and fortunately (or unfortunately) Luxray is as common as it gets.

Might come down to preference really.

Tamoo

Smash Master
yeah that's pretty much what i was thinking too

just went to a league and turns out there was someone who came 9th in worlds two years ago there. I 6-0'd him one match with only one draw left lol. I however got easily donked the other two matches >.<

might even run a 2-2 line of donphan actually, donphan was delicious today

and lol i thought donphan also did 10 to each of their pokemon >.< came as quite a shock today lol

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
I was kind of thinking about getting into this game, it seems like it could be fun. Can someone tell me how strong the scene is and how the metagame is? Like it is all just cookie cutter decks or do people actually make original stuff? I played Magic a few years back and it kinda went down hill so I'm looking for something new. I just want to know the best way to get started without paying out stupid amounts of money.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Me and my girlfriend are getting started. I have a Fight/Psy deck with Ttar in there, and she has Steel/dark

I need to get some cards, though. Hariyama's a crap attacker compared to Gliscor (Ninja Fant + Poison Atk ftw!)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Huge post to cover the last few pages:

Jirachi isn't good, lol.

Everyone forgot to mention a huge release in UD: Smeargle. Smeargle is the new tech for many decks, and has even replaced Sableye in the titular "Sablock" as the premier opener. Smeargle UD is what Ditto LA and Sableye SF were upon their initial release. A universally good tech/opener.

Things are cookie cutter because it's good. Originality exists in techs based on the metagame in your region.

If you make a deck to be different, you will lose, and look like a joke in the process.

Something to note about SP vs Machamp:

Machamp ONLY does well vs SP, and even then, it's a 50/50 match up AT BEST. SP has the speed, consistency, and the tools required to either never allow a machamp to hit the board, or easily deal with them as they DO hit the board, and keep up in the prize exchange, whilst using significantly less resources in the process, whilst still being universally good against everything in the format. Machamp auto-loses to nearly everything else, except giggles (Regigigas.)

Donphan, and Donchamp do marginally better than Machamp, with pure Donphan being overall the better deck. Stage one decks are inherently faster than stage 2, plus donphan has three major advantages over Machamp.

1. Natural increased bulk. Donphan has effectively an upward of 160 HP due to exoskeleton. 180 if you factor in belt.

2. Donphan has a rare weakness (water) a type held by two decks that aren't good at the moment (kingdra, and gyarados.)

3. Donphan doesn't auto-lose to non-SP decks. This being arguably the biggest advantage against both of the "SP-Killer" decks.

A lesser advantage would be the fact that Donphan requires less space for its line-ups, meaning increased room for techs, like Regice, Regirock, or Luxray GL for example.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I was kind of thinking about getting into this game, it seems like it could be fun. Can someone tell me how strong the scene is and how the metagame is? Like it is all just cookie cutter decks or do people actually make original stuff? I played Magic a few years back and it kinda went down hill so I'm looking for something new. I just want to know the best way to get started without paying out stupid amounts of money.
Depends, and I don't think it's a bad thing if it is. Metagame will be metagame.

Competitive originality in the TCG is like Rubyris said, it comes really in the originality of your 'tech' cards. The cards that sit with your structured deck to make it win against everything else. Yuta's Worlds winning LuxChomp deck had some very neat cards that people didn't really put into the more popular builds.

SixPrizes.com has had some interesting articles on rogue deck making in the past though.

Otherwise, I think the scene will always be strong because Nintendo supports it so much.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Also simplicity is key, i learnt that not very long ago. At one point, I was trying to run a deck that could effectively donk, disrupt the opponent, hard counter sp decks, and stall to help me set up a strong late game. In the end, it could do all of them, but none of them consistently and was just a joke. Make your deck what you want to achieve, like right now, my deck is all about disrupting in order to stall for a strong late game and it's working better than ever.

How have ppl's battle roads been going so far then, I think there's only one more for me in the upcoming weekend and then it's all over in the UK. So far I've gone 3-1 and 3-1 which im quite happy with considering my insistence on using water decks. The one next weekend looks like some tough competition so not expecting anything great, especially with an untested deck

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
What are you running? The only deck that comes even remotely close to "hard-countering" SP is Spiritomb/Vileplume/Gengar, and that's generally viewed as a how many heads can Gengar flip?

Tamoo

Smash Master
hehe it was a total mishmash of random techs that were incredibly situational, including machamp sf and rapidash, the one that doesn't take any damage from sp pokemon.

Right now I'm running a disruption deck around initiative, judge and slowking hs whilst setting up kingdra or machamp in the background to sweep at the end depending on the matchup. redshark testing's going well but just waiting for league tomorrow to see if it's any good :/

Tamoo

Smash Master
im afraid i'm meant to be studying (with smashboards on in the background ofc) but maybe some other time. What do you run btw?

Also, what are ppl looking forward to/not looking forward to from triumphant?

I know quite a lot of it hasn't been officially released yet but from the looks of it, gengar prime, mew prime and the lost world stadium look set to go. I'm personally not looking forward to this couple with things like twin, the lost world way of winning looks very powerful.

However, running a rather slow stallish deck myself, I'm very much looking forward to twins if it's released. And considering sableye allows me to use an extra supporter per turn, that's potentially 4 cards a turn at the potential cost of them getting a prize through my sableye which sounds awesome.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Alright, well since you guys seem to be well seasoned, help me and my gf out here.

I am trying to run a Chaos Control deck (Yes, the one you can buy), but with severe modifications.

What I'm trying to do:

Use Ttar Evo line (the good one with Megaton Tail)
Use Metagross(Psychic), Crobat (Unleashed)
Use Gliscor (Ninja Fang one), Machamp maybe?

Then have respective energies, and trainer cards that help me draw cards/find evos.

I'm new with strategies, so what should I do if I want a Ttar/psy/fighting deck?

My girlfriend is doing Dark/Steel; the Umbreon deck.

She is @

Umbreon, Steelix (Undaunted/Unleashed), Metagross(Came with deck), and some crappy cards like Stunkank and Honchcrow which we're replacing.

Whats some advice for her deck setup? I guess what I'm asking is:

Can we make good Steel/Dark and Ttar/Psy/Fighting decks? Or are those typings/ideas just badly setup and will never work? (I've played Pokemon so I understand if this "just won't work")

Top Bottom