• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pro smashers diet

TheZhuKeeper

Smash Champion
LOOOOL

this thread is amazing
jugfingers i can't tell if you're being serious or not, but it's funny either way

i'm a pretty active dood, i just picked up rock climbing again and i'm pretty into it
IMO exercise helps A LOT, eating healthy and not being a fat azz gets you in tune with your body, which helps with focus and many other things

seriously though, i think a very large part of smash is controlling your body's energy and applying it in the right places. call it chakra or something. it seems like being healthy puts more of your brainpower and resources under your control.

on a related note, as far as i can tell doing drugs (any drug) and playing smash isn't as good as going at it sober. weed, no good, alcohol, no good. i even drank a big cup of coffee this morning and i think i would've been better off and had better endurance if i didn't. being conscious is the best way to improve, IMO, because being healthy/sober removes all the external factors which can affect your game and turns it into a matter of will. :)

those are my thoughts on the matter anyways
I'm gonna try running / biking / exercising in general more and I'm gonna see if I can get my 2008-2009 reactions back.

ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUOOOOOOOOOOOOO

jugfingers

Smash Champion
LOOOOL

this thread is amazing
jugfingers i can't tell if you're being serious or not, but it's funny either way

i'm a pretty active dood, i just picked up rock climbing again and i'm pretty into it
IMO exercise helps A LOT, eating healthy and not being a fat azz gets you in tune with your body, which helps with focus and many other things

seriously though, i think a very large part of smash is controlling your body's energy and applying it in the right places. call it chakra or something. it seems like being healthy puts more of your brainpower and resources under your control.

on a related note, as far as i can tell doing drugs (any drug) and playing smash isn't as good as going at it sober. weed, no good, alcohol, no good. i even drank a big cup of coffee this morning and i think i would've been better off and had better endurance if i didn't. being conscious is the best way to improve, IMO, because being healthy/sober removes all the external factors which can affect your game and turns it into a matter of will. :)

those are my thoughts on the matter anyways

this was a good post.

I'm gonna try running / biking / exercising in general more and I'm gonna see if I can get my 2008-2009 reactions back.

get jeff to teach you his kung fu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nta9_MXr2Ic&feature=related

joeplicate

Smash Master

zhu your reactions are insane

remind me to never try to side B back at a weird height against you, you bair it every time

soooo impressive

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
i drink beer its good for you
Lol, yea when u drink ur post ****.

@jugfingers, yea I thought this thread was kinda dumb at first lol, I was like what kind of insane polejocking is this? lol.

but after I read ur post on ****, I can respect your reasons for creating the thread. Also axe ***** lol, really cool dude it seems. ur prob tight too

joeplicate

Smash Master
so i've actually been getting more into being active/nutrition/working out a little more

i was reading on wikipedia right now and found this

"Anaerobic metabolism, or anaerobic energy expenditure, is a natural part of whole-body metabolic energy expenditure.[3] Fast twitch skeletal muscle (as compared to slow twitch muscle) operates using anaerobic metabolic systems, such that any recruitment of fast twitch muscle fibers will lead to increased anaerobic energy expenditure."

Note "fast twitch" muscles. This made me think of fast-twitch things like hammering luigi's down-b, or something else related to video games. Anaerobic exercise is when your body undergoes metabolism without oxygen (more or less): lifting weights, intense brief activity, and sprinting, for example, are anaerobic exercise.

Potentially, I could see lifting weights (anaerobic exercise) as helping to make you a better smasher, at least in terms of reaction time and focus. I'm sure people can object to this view, and obviously it's not the most important thing in improvement. More important is like having a good attitude, not johning, and monitoring your own mental progress. But think about the state of mind you have to be to "beast" in tournament--your focus is up, you're full of energy, every move that happens is like a challenge or another situation to react to. Activation of the central nervous system, basically. Now anaerobic exercise, like lifting weights or w/e, can do the same thing! If you think about any weakness in your body, most likely you won't be able to lift that weight you're holding. You'll choke, in essence.

Anyway, it seems like an interesting idea, that exercise/lifting weights can help to activate your nervous system and help out with smash. After all, you need practice to get good at anything, including entering beast mode. IMO exercise can provide both the physical and mental experience you need to keep focus and play better when it counts, by activating the same systems in your body.

Just something to think about :)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
i dont have anything set in stone but i do better when i meditate the night before a tourny and eat a small breakfast. ya know, like a plum or something.
Haha yeah. And I'd be eating some restaurant food right next to you. : D

Also to add to joeplicate...

I hear excersizing helps with our brain functions, meaning that we think better if we excersize. I should start excersizing more haha.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
so i've actually been getting more into being active/nutrition/working out a little more

i was reading on wikipedia right now and found this

"Anaerobic metabolism, or anaerobic energy expenditure, is a natural part of whole-body metabolic energy expenditure.[3] Fast twitch skeletal muscle (as compared to slow twitch muscle) operates using anaerobic metabolic systems, such that any recruitment of fast twitch muscle fibers will lead to increased anaerobic energy expenditure."

Note "fast twitch" muscles. This made me think of fast-twitch things like hammering luigi's down-b, or something else related to video games. Anaerobic exercise is when your body undergoes metabolism without oxygen (more or less): lifting weights, intense brief activity, and sprinting, for example, are anaerobic exercise.

Potentially, I could see lifting weights (anaerobic exercise) as helping to make you a better smasher, at least in terms of reaction time and focus. I'm sure people can object to this view, and obviously it's not the most important thing in improvement. More important is like having a good attitude, not johning, and monitoring your own mental progress. But think about the state of mind you have to be to "beast" in tournament--your focus is up, you're full of energy, every move that happens is like a challenge or another situation to react to. Activation of the central nervous system, basically. Now anaerobic exercise, like lifting weights or w/e, can do the same thing! If you think about any weakness in your body, most likely you won't be able to lift that weight you're holding. You'll choke, in essence.

Anyway, it seems like an interesting idea, that exercise/lifting weights can help to activate your nervous system and help out with smash. After all, you need practice to get good at anything, including entering beast mode. IMO exercise can provide both the physical and mental experience you need to keep focus and play better when it counts, by activating the same systems in your body.

Just something to think about :)

from experience I have found that weight lifting does improve reactions and speed, finger movement even immediately after weight lifting, specifically curls for some reason, the immediate improvement in speed of finger movement could be due to enhanced circulation, but yea I think that basically all types of physical activity are ideal for refining your ability to think, move and act clearly and quickly.

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
No offense to Eggm, but ever since I saw him I thought the whole "being fit makes you a better smash player" was kind of just mumbo jumbo.

And some other people but I don't want to name them because that might make them feel bad. =(

joeplicate

Smash Master
ur mumbo jumbo

look at shiz wiz
he's got maaddd stretch marks from getting super buff instantly
and he's the most beast smasher alive

and being fit doesn't make you a better smash player, playing smash does
but i definitely think being fit can help

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Being fit could also help with confidence, which translates into everyhting you do.

as far as fast and slow twitch muscles, more strength in the slow twitch makes it easier to press buttons and you just have more momentum. That will speed you up a bit, but slow twitch muscles are specifically for speed. Those would be the ones you want to enhance for crazy tech skill. Bulking up can make you slower, either due to neglect of fast twitch muscles, or just more mass that has to be moved, warmed up, more energy.

Im a big dude, but I use to be kinda swole, and I could dip lol. I gotta get back in the gym :)

joeplicate

Smash Master
you should get back in there with grim

and just come to the next tournament looking like 2 ripped-azz hulks and dominate the competition

then carry out 2 women each on your pecs :):)

i worked out today, pretty happy about it too because i spent the night at my grandpa's and i was worried i wouldn't be able to exercise much. but yesterday me and my sister went running, then we went to the gym this morning.

i did squats and deadlifts mainly, and i was able to enter beast mode and increase my performance during the last set of deadlifts (5x5, 45, 55, then 60 pounds on each side). plus i did calves on the leg press and showed my sister how to do a few other exercises. it was great! we'll see how it translates to smash, but i'm pretty happy just overall tbh.

plus i just looked up some calorie ****, and depending on how much i exercise, for someone of my height/built i need 3500-4000 calories a day. pretty tight man!

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
I eat heartily before a tourney. like a lunch of fiber for long-lasting energy. not that low-tier starch stuff

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I avoid McDonalds at any tournament I care about and try to pack my own food now too. I really find horrible food makes me feel sick after and then it doesn't matter how hard I try -- I won't be able to play effectively at all.

At *pound* 4 I brought sandwiches for everyone in the car and they were delicious.

^__^

Edit: Smoothies and drinks are generally okay though. It's the grease, I think, from burgers and other stuff that does it.

Armada

Smash Lord
After i have sleeping a lot i eat breakfast and my breakfast is sandwiches and some kind of juice.

Dinner is fast food and i eat a a lot candy and drink a lot of my fantastic soda (Fanta Exotic Thrill).

Fanta Exotic thrill is the best soda in the world and we have that soda in Sweden and Norway and that´s justice.

Fast food candy and soda sounds like a good diet =).

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Armada setting health standards for smashers worldwide. =P

Joeplicate covered it really well though. If you're physically healthy, you'll be more in tune with your body and be able to react more precisely, more in control, and you'll have more energy. If you load up on junk, you'll be hyper and once you burn off the energy, your body slows down by a lot.

Ministry

Smash Ace
Me and my buddy usually pop in a rising crust pizza and drink pop before a smash session. now that i think about it, as the night goes on and i get more burnt out i play worse and worse. i think subs,sandwhiches and non greasy food is good. you need the sugar to keep focus and getting fructose is good. try getting natural sugar.

i have a heart condition, and super fast metabolism so whatever i eat the engery gets burned off like 4x the speed of a normal person. i do drink alot of milk and eat carbohydrates also.

j3ly

Smash Champion
i hear sanuzi likes to drink pro-smashers semen before a big tournament

jus sayin.. as all...

joeplicate

Smash Master
so after a week of some pretty intense exercise, then taking a break thursday-sunday, i did really well in the tournament yesterday

it was probably a combination of being in practice (i played with hmw and shroomed and hyuga a bunch on thurs/friday), eating healthy, having a good mindset, and having a little experience too

plus we went to trader joe's in the morning and i got a ****-*** breakfast

it's hard to tell whether things like eating right or exercising have a directly measurable effect on your game--like "eating 3 bagels made me able to focus better"--but i felt like it definitely helped in some degree. i had a really great mindset the whole tournament, even though i was tired and actually took a nap for a bit, which usually kills my momentum/makes me frustrated when i start up again all tired.

i started thinking about another theory on improving from talking with phil, who gets nervous in tournament matches. he said that he feels like he needs to play more in the moment, which is something he needs to do with the rest of his life in general too. living in the moment. this made a lot of sense to me, because like 3-4 months ago i felt like the things in my life i needed to work on (having discipline, taking initiative, being a beast, asserting myself) were holding me back in smash. exercising (getting my *** to the gym or trying really hard when i'm rock climbing) was also a way to work on these life-skills that i was lacking. so by improving your life in general, you improve your mind, your brain, your psychology, and you'll play better. or at least get in a better place to improve :).

one of the reasons why i like playing smash so much is that it's like a microcosm of real life, at least when it comes to applying these life skills. sometimes you see direct improvements in your game as a result of playing with a different mindset, it's like a tiny experiment with instantly accessible results.

anyways just thought i'd share

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
from experience, ketosis will calm down your mind and prevent choking related mistakes (or any of those annoying errors you make from being too jumpy or energetic), in the same way that it prevents epilepsy. I would imagine it would give you the upper edge with an obnoxious crowd behind you lol.

joeplicate

Smash Master
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

"The ketogenic diet is not a benign, holistic or natural treatment for epilepsy; as with any serious medical therapy, there may be complications. These are generally less severe and less frequent than with anticonvulsant medication or surgery.[25] Common but easily treatable short-term side effects include constipation, low-grade acidosis, and hypoglycaemia if there is an initial fast. Cholesterol may increase by around 30%.[25] Long-term use of the ketogenic diet in children increases the risk of ******** growth, bone fractures, and kidney stones. Supplements are necessary to counter the dietary deficiency of many micronutrients.[4]"

0_o

i don't know man, sounds sketchy. did you actually do this? what were some of your experiences with it?

and bobby is too good, far too good

my thoughts on caffeine are mixed, but i feel worse whenever i play on it b/c of the side effects. jitters, having your concentration and focus go up and down, and having to get up to pee every 20 mins if i'm drinking water in the meantime :)

Kanelol

Smash Lord
******** growth
Ew.

I can't even play on caffeine or anything. Opiates make me slightly better depending on the situation, but the only consistent performance enhancer I've found is
SMOKE WEED 420 ERRHDAY ERRHDAY WEED WEED

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
0_o

i don't know man, sounds sketchy. did you actually do this? what were some of your experiences with it?

lol, i'm talking 3-5 days in a row of <20 carbs, nothing serious like that link implies. ketosis isn't really that special and happens all the time really, like when you miss a few meals from being sick. the only time cholesterol would be an issue is from too much trans fat, rancid fats or vegetable oils.

personally I noticed a few things:
-more tolerance for temperature abnormalities (I could sleep with chilly wind blowing at me through a window all night, and wake up well rested and alert)
-less of an appetite; I guess its from not fiddling with blood sugar.
-feeling lighter, from depleted carbs and less water retention.
- going back to normal, the taste of sugar really stands out as unpleasant. I could taste the sugar in foods like sour cream or peanutbutter.. and even small "sugar rushes" felt really uncomfortable.

for the record, a few people in my dance class go into ketosis for preformances. >.<

joeplicate

Smash Master
hmm that's kind of weird

ever since the atkins diet got big i've been suspicious of low carbs or anything like that
i'm basically just a skeptic about everything though

but it still doesn't sound very healthy

jugfingers

Smash Champion
lol, i'm talking 3-5 days in a row of <20 carbs, nothing serious like that link implies. ketosis isn't really that special and happens all the time really, like when you miss a few meals from being sick. the only time cholesterol would be an issue is from too much trans fat, rancid fats or vegetable oils.

personally I noticed a few things:
-more tolerance for temperature abnormalities (I could sleep with chilly wind blowing at me through a window all night, and wake up well rested and alert)
-less of an appetite; I guess its from not fiddling with blood sugar.
-feeling lighter, from depleted carbs and less water retention.
- going back to normal, the taste of sugar really stands out as unpleasant. I could taste the sugar in foods like sour cream or peanutbutter.. and even small "sugar rushes" felt really uncomfortable.

for the record, a few people in my dance class go into ketosis for preformances. >.<
but...what exactly are you eating?

Lovage

Smash Hero
never have sex or jerk off right before/the night before a tournament or you'll play at your absolute worst

same goes for COUNTER-STRIKE

bananaslamma

Smash Rookie
lol @ even including sex in ur post.

u think dudes like eggz actually get laid?? hahahahahahaha

Top Bottom