• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
The funny thing is...although my sample size is kind of limited, haven't the actual Star Fox fans been more interested in taking what Assault did and expanding on it? It's mainly the people who lost interest after 64 that have been demanding the series go back to that.

Kind of egotistical, isn't it? Acting like a game from a series you haven't cared about in a long time should be changed from the kind its fans are more interested in to one that fits your idealized vision of how the series used to be?

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
The funny thing is...although my sample size is kind of limited, haven't the actual Star Fox fans been more interested in taking what Assault did and expanding on it? It's mainly the people who lost interest after 64 that have been demanding the series go back to that.

Kind of egotistical, isn't it? Acting like a game from a series you haven't cared about in a long time should be changed from the kind its fans are more interested in to one that fits your idealized vision of how the series used to be?
It is. It really is.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

I totally agree

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Unless they clarify this game also covers Adventures, and Assault, i'm unfortunately gonna have to deal with the ridiculous mood swing i'm going through as much as I hear this game should not effect them. It feels too insulting to throw that all out after nearly ten years that I felt the need to give Nintendo my input on it as much as it may not do anything. By the way, the Smashified artist faved my suggestion for Krystal, if that gives any sort of hint, unless that's what he does with every suggestion.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Unless they clarify this game also covers Adventures, and Assault, i'm unfortunately gonna have to deal with the ridiculous mood swing i'm going through. It feels too insulting to throw that all out after nearly ten years that I felt the need to give Nintendo my input on it as much as it may not do anything. By the way, the Smashified artist faved my suggestion for Krystal, if that gives any sort of hint, unless that's what he does with every suggestion.
I believe Zero takes place before Krystal appears. Omni faving your tweet means nothing. He does that with every tweet.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Unless they clarify this game also covers Adventures, and Assault, i'm unfortunately gonna have to deal with the ridiculous mood swing i'm going through as much as I hear this game should not effect them. It feels too insulting to throw that all out after nearly ten years that I felt the need to give Nintendo my input on it as much as it may not do anything. By the way, the Smashified artist faved my suggestion for Krystal, if that gives any sort of hint, unless that's what he does with every suggestion.
Well they did say the game would be episodic

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I believe Zero takes place before Krystal appears. Omni faving your tweet means nothing. He does that with every tweet.
Back when the Zootopia trailer dropped, he sent out a tweet on how he saw some comments bashing furries and how it got on his nerves. At the very least, I doubt he'd be against Smashifying her eventually.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Back when the Zootopia trailer dropped, he sent out a tweet on how he saw some comments bashing furries and how it got on his nerves. At the very least, I doubt he'd be against Smashifying her eventually.
Yeah I get the same feeling.

I'm surprised that there are still Krystal supports besides me willing to rise their heads in the Star Fox; Zero GameFaqs board in defense of our favorite vixen.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I'm surprised that there are still Krystal supports besides me willing to rise their heads in the Star Fox; Zero GameFaqs board in defense of our favorite vixen.
It's a sudden turn, while some did complain or not, taking her out along with everyone else is too stupid after nearly 10 years. Watch Nintendo (hopefully) respond to this when it really picks up or when the game fails.

Also just a thought, it sounds impossible, but what if someone got Ayano the Krystal cosplayer to see Nintendo?

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It's a sudden turn, while some did complain or not, taking her out along with everyone else is too stupid after nearly 10 years. Watch Nintendo (hopefully) respond to this when it really picks up or when the game fails.

Also just a thought, it sounds impossible, but what if someone got Ayano the Krystal cosplayer to see Nintendo?
Let's Do It!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Probably already been said but there's a chance that Krystal's role has been re-imagined. She's not a part of Star Fox anymore, that much is clear, but I do think it's weird that despite seeing plenty of footage of the Wolfens, Pigma's the only Star Wolf member that was seen. In a weird twist of fate, I could see her replacing Andrew. Not as oddball of a theory as you might think if you consider she technically did join Star Wolf in several of the endings of Command so they could have simply re-imagined her role since it seems like they're going to proceed like everything after 64 didn't happen. Also, Platinum's developing the game and they kind of have a thing for strong female characters so I could imagine her finding a new place in the series. Maybe she's a new rival? Maybe she replaces (or even joins) Kat? Who knows but I have a hard time seeing the character being entirely phased out given she's basically the only major girl character the series has ever had.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Probably already been said but there's a chance that Krystal's role has been re-imagined. She's not a part of Star Fox anymore, that much is clear, but I do think it's weird that despite seeing plenty of footage of the Wolfens, Pigma's the only Star Wolf member that was seen. In a weird twist of fate, I could see her replacing Andrew. Not as oddball of a theory as you might think if you consider she technically did join Star Wolf in several of the endings of Command so they could have simply re-imagined her role since it seems like they're going to proceed like everything after 64 didn't happen. Also, Platinum's developing the game and they kind of have a thing for strong female characters so I could imagine her finding a new place in the series. Maybe she's a new rival? Maybe she replaces (or even joins) Kat? Who knows but I have a hard time seeing the character being entirely phased out given she's basically the only major girl character the series has ever had.
Leon, Andrew, and Wolf were all there with Pigma. If you see during the footage of Star Wolf and the wolfens you see an A, L, and W above the wolfens.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
We already saw Kat in the demo during the treehouse streams.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Probably already been said but there's a chance that Krystal's role has been re-imagined. She's not a part of Star Fox anymore, that much is clear...
They said this was sort of a reimagining of 64, though. She hasn't been outright removed from Star Fox canon, this game merely takes place before she entered the picture.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
They said this was sort of a reimagining of 64, though. She hasn't been outright removed from Star Fox canon, this game merely takes place before she entered the picture.
That's what I thought, too. Star Fox Zero might be a "re-imagining" of 64 like how Zero Mission was a reboot of the original. The rest of the Metroid games' canon still happened.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
That's what I thought, too. Star Fox Zero might be a "re-imagining" of 64 like how Zero Mission was a reboot of the original. The rest of the Metroid games' canon still happened.
I was literally thinking of how it might compare to Metroid Zero Mission earlier, actually. That's one lofty goal, though, considering how well done Zero Mission was.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I'm willing to stand on that this game is exactly what Zero Mission and Twin Snakes is in that even though they're the beginning of their games and have newer features and whatnot, they dont effect the overall canon of the series entirely. Twin Snakes came out before MGS3, and that didnt do anything at all, same for Zero Mission, which while had a ton of differences from the original, it never effected the events of Super Metroid or anything else past it.

I just wish people would stop assuming that Krystal and everyone is gone, it's like they're blinded by their own nostalgia. In fact the gameexplain guy while doesnt mind Krystal, one of his buddies absolutely despises her that he said in such a smug tone that she needed to go in the prediction video, and i'm willing to bet he's acting more smug about it in the video about Zero.

It'll be funny if it's confirmed this is what's been said and that this game effects nothing.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
THIS. This has been everything I said whenever I would talk about this game after E3. But let all I have been getting is, "This game is better because no Krystal!", "This is how Star Fox is suppose to be!", "It doesn't have Adventure or Assault in it so its automatically the best game!" and its so annoying that people are letting their nostalgia get the better of them. I really don't want this. But if the game loses its new shiny feel and people start to look at the game as it really is then. Then they will finally realize that it wasn't Krystal, or Adventures or Assault that ruined Star Fox. It was lazy development and lack of story/character development that was the root case and continuously remaking Star Fox 64 wouldn't fix that.
Well, I've not seen as much outright joy at Krystal's removal as I've seen people just being happy that it's a game that focuses on the rail shooting gameplay. I think most people never really cared if Krystal was in or not, even the haters. I'm avoiding truly vitriolic places full of people that just enjoy making people upset. I'm happy to say I've seen more people miffed by what is apparently a retcon than I have people that are happy about it, not including this thread. In fact, I was reading the comments on a news story about Star Fox Zero and actually saw a couple people talking about being happy with the gameplay but not the apparent "retcon" or "non canon" nature of the game. Yes, there's people that want 64 like gameplay but didn't want this reversion to a past or alternate timeline.

Also, I had a fun idea that I'm not at all holding my breath will happen considering Miyamoto's lack of interest in story. I was thinking about the idea that this game is a "retcon" or an "alternate timeline". Then I thought about the Star Fox team going to Cerinia on a mission and perhaps meeting Krystal. I imagined her as leading her own squad based on the planet and in charge of planetary defense and teaming with Star Fox for a mission. I played with the thought that maybe she's not necessarily recognizable by Fox so that Zero's plot wouldn't ruin Adventure's story line. Then I thought that if it was truly an alternate timeline that this would be the alternate way for Fox to meet Krystal.

Basically, there's ways for Krystal to still make an appearance, but I'm holding my breath that Miyamoto would do this at all. I could see him tossing her into some DLC or making her a teammate alternatively for no apparent reason though. He's more likely to do that then develop story. Like having Rosalina randomly playable in Super Mario 3D World. All of it feels pretty unlikely atm.

Alternatively, there's always the slim chance that Krystal could be in the main game somehow by default and that what we saw was still demo play and didn't represent any real mission. He mentioned that the game was inspired by 64 and Star Fox 2 and that it was an alternate universe or reimagining of the stories in previous games. I don't think he ever set a solid timeline for the game though. The implication is that it's probably set in the same time period as 64, but I don't think he ever outright said that, only that it inspired him. Fact is, there's still a ton we don't know. He only really told us about the gameplay. Story details were pretty much non-existent unless you can confidently get a take away from the demoware.

Sales data and reception from reviews are things that hang around and aren't forgotten. They carry more weight then a guy that's been complaining about Star Fox for years. Nintendo looks at the sales and the reception and say, "well, 64 is still our best selling highest reviewed - by most reviewers - game in the series". They look at this simply as, "how can we recapture this magic?" Sometimes a business doesn't see potential and only works backwards from a results oriented perspective.

That's cool of him frankly. To fav a suggestion means he had to at least see that suggestion. He knows people want Krystal because he's listening.

Leon, Andrew, and Wolf were all there with Pigma. If you see during the footage of Star Wolf and the wolfens you see an A, L, and W above the wolfens.
What's funny is that I've seen plenty of backlash about this decision to "go back to a previous timeline" from people that don't necessarily like Krystal, but liked Panther and thought Pigma was always lame.

I was literally thinking of how it might compare to Metroid Zero Mission earlier, actually. That's one lofty goal, though, considering how well done Zero Mission was.
I'm willing to stand on that this game is exactly what Zero Mission and Twin Snakes is in that even though they're the beginning of their games and have newer features and whatnot, they dont effect the overall canon of the series entirely. Twin Snakes came out before MGS3, and that didnt do anything at all, same for Zero Mission, which while had a ton of differences from the original, it never effected the events of Super Metroid or anything else past it.

I just wish people would stop assuming that Krystal and everyone is gone, it's like they're blinded by their own nostalgia. In fact the gameexplain guy while doesnt mind Krystal, one of his buddies absolutely despises her that he said in such a smug tone that she needed to go in the prediction video, and i'm willing to bet he's acting more smug about it in the video about Zero.

It'll be funny if it's confirmed this is what's been said and that this game effects nothing.
The odd thing about this notion is that Star Fox 64 3D arguably already did this. Zero Mission and Twin Snakes were basically remakes with updated graphics and extra content. Star Fox 64 3D was a truer simple graphical upgrade like Windwaker HD, but it remains to be seen if it's actually got more in common with Twin Snakes and Zero Mission that Star Fox Zero will. I think Star Fox Zero will be much more standalone than Twin Snakes and Zero Mission. Probably a better comparison would be to compare Star Fox Zero with 64 like 64 is compared to the original Star Fox. Not a simply graphical upgrade, not a remake with extra content, but a reimagining that's more "extra content" than it is "remake"... if that makes sense.

It's posts like these that makes me think the whole "no double posting" thing is kind of silly. Would at least be easier on the eyes if I could split this in half, lol.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Is it worth noting that during the events of 64 (and most possibly Zero), Krystal was only 11 years old?

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've not seen as much outright joy at Krystal's removal as I've seen people just being happy that it's a game that focuses on the rail shooting gameplay. I think most people never really cared if Krystal was in or not, even the haters. I'm avoiding truly vitriolic places full of people that just enjoy making people upset. I'm happy to say I've seen more people miffed by what is apparently a retcon than I have people that are happy about it, not including this thread. In fact, I was reading the comments on a news story about Star Fox Zero and actually saw a couple people talking about being happy with the gameplay but not the apparent "retcon" or "non canon" nature of the game. Yes, there's people that want 64 like gameplay but didn't want this reversion to a past or alternate timeline.

Also, I had a fun idea that I'm not at all holding my breath will happen considering Miyamoto's lack of interest in story. I was thinking about the idea that this game is a "retcon" or an "alternate timeline". Then I thought about the Star Fox team going to Cerinia on a mission and perhaps meeting Krystal. I imagined her as leading her own squad based on the planet and in charge of planetary defense and teaming with Star Fox for a mission. I played with the thought that maybe she's not necessarily recognizable by Fox so that Zero's plot wouldn't ruin Adventure's story line. Then I thought that if it was truly an alternate timeline that this would be the alternate way for Fox to meet Krystal.

Basically, there's ways for Krystal to still make an appearance, but I'm holding my breath that Miyamoto would do this at all. I could see him tossing her into some DLC or making her a teammate alternatively for no apparent reason though. He's more likely to do that then develop story. Like having Rosalina randomly playable in Super Mario 3D World. All of it feels pretty unlikely atm.

Alternatively, there's always the slim chance that Krystal could be in the main game somehow by default and that what we saw was still demo play and didn't represent any real mission. He mentioned that the game was inspired by 64 and Star Fox 2 and that it was an alternate universe or reimagining of the stories in previous games. I don't think he ever set a solid timeline for the game though. The implication is that it's probably set in the same time period as 64, but I don't think he ever outright said that, only that it inspired him. Fact is, there's still a ton we don't know. He only really told us about the gameplay. Story details were pretty much non-existent unless you can confidently get a take away from the demoware.

Sales data and reception from reviews are things that hang around and aren't forgotten. They carry more weight then a guy that's been complaining about Star Fox for years. Nintendo looks at the sales and the reception and say, "well, 64 is still our best selling highest reviewed - by most reviewers - game in the series". They look at this simply as, "how can we recapture this magic?" Sometimes a business doesn't see potential and only works backwards from a results oriented perspective.

That's cool of him frankly. To fav a suggestion means he had to at least see that suggestion. He knows people want Krystal because he's listening.

What's funny is that I've seen plenty of backlash about this decision to "go back to a previous timeline" from people that don't necessarily like Krystal, but liked Panther and thought Pigma was always lame.

The odd thing about this notion is that Star Fox 64 3D arguably already did this. Zero Mission and Twin Snakes were basically remakes with updated graphics and extra content. Star Fox 64 3D was a truer simple graphical upgrade like Windwaker HD, but it remains to be seen if it's actually got more in common with Twin Snakes and Zero Mission that Star Fox Zero will. I think Star Fox Zero will be much more standalone than Twin Snakes and Zero Mission. Probably a better comparison would be to compare Star Fox Zero with 64 like 64 is compared to the original Star Fox. Not a simply graphical upgrade, not a remake with extra content, but a reimagining that's more "extra content" than it is "remake"... if that makes sense.

It's posts like these that makes me think the whole "no double posting" thing is kind of silly. Would at least be easier on the eyes if I could split this in half, lol.
I always love seeing your posts on this thread. You always try to think things through to the fullest you can and I love how calm you remain.

Last edited:

Wolfheart07

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dragonheart07
Guys, just relax here. Even though we saw the trailer and some gameplay footage for Starfox Zero, it's not the end of the world here. Yeah we know that Krystal didn't show up there at the moment. But let's not forget that the game is still in development here and I'm very certain that from now to the Holiday 2015 season, we're going to hear more info on the game and the rest of the characters in the game. Remember, Miyamoto did say in the video that this game is neither a remake, reboot, nor a sequel or a prequel. It's basically a reimagining. Reimagining and reboot are two different things here.

Besides, even with all of this going on, I don't think that this hurts Wolf and Krystal's chances at all to be Smash 4's DLC. So let's not jump to conclusions here. Let's all remain a positive attitude here and continue our strong support for our favorite blue vixen because I am and all of us should continue doing it no matter what. Isn't that the reason why this forum still going on? Now we need to spread the word more than ever. I'm sure Miyamoto will think of something and I have faith in him. Once a character has established itself in a franchise, they are there to stay no matter what happens. If Miyamoto wanted to get rid of her, they would have done that after Adventures and we wouldn't have seen her at all in any future entries. And since the game is going to be structured episodically like how it did in Assault, I have a feeling that we could see Krystal later on in the game and they could reveal her in any future Directs. I'm betting that the game itself will even have its own Direct later this year.

To respond to TheCynicalCdr about Krystal, I agree what you said there about her. After all it was Miyamoto's idea to turn Dinosaur Planet into Adventures and to turn Krystal into the vixen we all know and love and to pair with Fox. It happened again in Assault. Besides, even he's not that stupid to kill her off like that. Because I don't see Nintendo being that type of company who would just kill off characters that people love. I mean look at Rosalina for instance. Even though she made her first appearance in Super Mario Galaxy back in 2007, she didn't appear in New Super Mario Bros. Wii in 2009 and then in the next games following after that, she has. Heck, this is the same thing with Donkey Kong Country Returns. It wasn't until Tropical Freeze where Dixie Kong came back and this is a character that Rare originally created like Krystal and K. Rool(but Nintendo officially owns these characters). This could be the same thing for Krystal after all.

Anyway, I'm super excited for Starfox Zero and with Platinum Games(who have done some of my favorite games like Wonderful 101, Vanquish, Madworld and Metal Gear Rising and working on Transformers Devastation using characters from the Generation 1 series of the 80s from where I'm from since I was born in the 80s and a big Transformers fan), that is a major plus and those guys with Nintendo combined, I'm sure they know what they are doing. Boy I can't wait to see an Amiibo version of the Starfox characters along with the Arwing Amiibo for Starfox Zero coming up which is very likely to happen. Speaking of that, I even love Fox's design in the new game. He looks beyond awesome. Here are some official art for the game.

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Guys, just relax here. Even though we saw the trailer and some gameplay footage for Starfox Zero, it's not the end of the world here. Yeah we know that Krystal didn't show up there at the moment. But let's not forget that the game is still in development here and I'm very certain that from now to the Holiday 2015 season, we're going to hear more info on the game and the rest of the characters in the game. Remember, Miyamoto did say in the video that this game is neither a remake, reboot, nor a sequel or a prequel. It's basically a reimagining. Reimagining and reboot are two different things here.

Besides, even with all of this going on, I don't think that this hurts Wolf and Krystal's chances at all to be Smash 4's DLC. So let's not jump to conclusions here. Let's all remain a positive attitude here and continue our strong support for our favorite blue vixen because I am and all of us should continue doing it no matter what. Isn't that the reason why this forum still going on? Now we need to spread the word more than ever. I'm sure Miyamoto will think of something and I have faith in him. Once a character has established itself in a franchise, they are there to stay no matter what happens. If Miyamoto wanted to get rid of her, they would have done that after Adventures and we wouldn't have seen her at all in any future entries. And since the game is going to be structured episodically like how it did in Assault, I have a feeling that we could see Krystal later on in the game and they could reveal her in any future Directs. I'm betting that the game itself will even have its own Direct later this year.

To respond to TheCynicalCdr about Krystal, I agree what you said there about her. After all it was Miyamoto's idea to turn Dinosaur Planet into Adventures and to turn Krystal into the vixen we all know and love and to pair with Fox. It happened again in Assault. Besides, even he's not that stupid to kill her off like that. Because I don't see Nintendo being that type of company who would just kill off characters that people love. I mean look at Rosalina for instance. Even though she made her first appearance in Super Mario Galaxy back in 2007, she didn't appear in New Super Mario Bros. Wii in 2009 and then in the next games following after that, she has. Heck, this is the same thing with Donkey Kong Country Returns. It wasn't until Tropical Freeze where Dixie Kong came back and this is a character that Rare originally created like Krystal and K. Rool(but Nintendo officially owns these characters). This could be the same thing for Krystal after all.

Anyway, I'm super excited for Starfox Zero and with Platinum Games(who have done some of my favorite games like Wonderful 101, Vanquish, Madworld and Metal Gear Rising and working on Transformers Devastation using characters from the Generation 1 series of the 80s from where I'm from since I was born in the 80s and a big Transformers fan), that is a major plus and those guys with Nintendo combined, I'm sure they know what they are doing. Boy I can't wait to see an Amiibo version of the Starfox characters along with the Arwing Amiibo for Starfox Zero coming up which is very likely to happen. Speaking of that, I even love Fox's design in the new game. He looks beyond awesome. Here are some official art for the game.

I agree. I too am remaining calm, for I know I am gonna see more footage of this game soon in future Directs. Also knowing Nintendo Direct, some of them have a direct all to themselves. Star Fox might get their own direct at a much later date, I am guessing. Also, I am digging that art design. It may look retro, but he looks like he can take on a whole army.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Is it worth noting that during the events of 64 (and most possibly Zero), Krystal was only 11 years old?
Heh, I forgot that there was defined timelines and character ages and that Krystal is that young compared to the other team members. Nevermind about my little thought I had earlier then. Wouldn't make much sense for her to show up after all unless this game has years go by or Miyamoto totally throws out what canon info we got. Or the time setting isn't what it's implied to be. I wonder where the idea of Krystal's age was actually stated and if it's truly canon.

I always love seeing your posts on this thread. You always try to think things through to the fullest you can and I love how calm you remain.
That means "it's working". Hah, but seriously, you flatter me.

I will say though, I do try to think through my posts. I've been told this approach to things is evident in my writing style. Basically, I try to be considerate of every idea that pops into my head as I go. You should see me write when I'm conflicted about something. It's like an internal argument.

Thanks for the optimism Wolfheart. We remain hopeful here but aware of the situation all the same. Nice pics btw. Looking good.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Heh, I forgot that there was defined timelines and character ages and that Krystal is that young compared to the other team members. Nevermind about my little thought I had earlier then. Wouldn't make much sense for her to show up after all unless this game has years go by or Miyamoto totally throws out what canon info we got. Or the time setting isn't what it's implied to be. I wonder where the idea of Krystal's age was actually stated and if it's truly canon.
The idea of Zero being episodic is possible but I don't think Miyamoto and Platinum are gonna take that route but instead stick to re-imagining 64 as a whole. If this is the case, there might not be any chance of Krystal appearing in the game because she'd only be 11 y/o. She'd be too young to fly a ship and therefore, they'd have no reason to show her except for maybe a small cameo on Cerinia. She'd most likely appear in her "tribal" clothing or at least a dress based on her attire from Adventures. If she does appear, they'd have to up her age if they really want her dogfighting in space.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think Zero is very much to SF64/adventure/assault as SF64 was to SF1, its the same basic concept retold in a different perspective. This could be a good thing for Krystal, because I know part of the conceived problem is how she was introduced and her role(I don't mind her myself), and Zero could basically allow a new slate. If She were to be reintroduced I would imagine it would be near the endgame, or in the postgame. Also, we don't know how this is going to go, like will Andross be the end, or will the story go beyond him. Also a second Campaign that takes place after the first one wouldn't be impossible either. Should be interesting to see what happens

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think Zero is very much to SF64/adventure/assault as SF64 was to SF1, its the same basic concept retold in a different perspective. This could be a good thing for Krystal, because I know part of the conceived problem is how she was introduced and her role(I don't mind her myself), and Zero could basically allow a new slate. If She were to be reintroduced I would imagine it would be near the endgame, or in the postgame. Also, we don't know how this is going to go, like will Andross be the end, or will the story go beyond him. Also a second Campaign that takes place after the first one wouldn't be impossible either. Should be interesting to see what happens
That would be good, but after the Assault part of Zero, Command is ignored

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
Star Fox is an amazing series. It's the only game with 2 freaking universe changes in 6 freaking games. It's amazing how dumb this move is to not continue the storyline and instead redesign the universe again. You can just write off Command as non-cannon trash and that's okay. You don't need to rewrite the whole freaking series AGAIN!

Like I get that everything in the Nintendo Conference we already knew and that's fine because we got some major titles and all that. It's just HOLY CRAP! They've really pissed away all that good favor they got with just a couple of games. I don't doubt Starfox Zero would be a good game. It's Nintendo they make freaking amazingly fun games.

Just part of me hates being right with Krystal. Maybe she'll come back but right now it seems like we'll only see the original team from 64 and probably will not even have all that character development we've gotten throughout the games. It really baffles the mind thinking about another reimagining or reboot if you will. Personally I consider them one and the same. You know maybe people aren't buying Star Fox because you're not innovating and not giving the series TLC.

You know the worst part is if this flops we'll never see Starfox again. That's a scary thought, but if you have a universe you're constantly rewriting nobody is going to stick around or care! This isn't Mario where you can have new mechanics and levels. It's an On-Rails Shooter. It just has different needs yo. Some of that is the story. Heck look at House of the Dead Overkill! That game was freaking amazing~ It was short sweet and told an amazing story. That wasn't even a retelling. It was the start of it all. I donno it's like come on Nintendo WTF are you doing. I know I'm kind of all over the place right now but like don't let Sega do what Nintendon't.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I dont think it's the same guy I was talking about, but apparently even these guys from Gamexplain are disappointed with Zero in that it's the same thing again, and even they're concerned with the others that appeared after 64. I've actually noticed a sudden turn in that while some purists are happy about this game, a good portion of em are saying they wanted something new and are worried about the newer characters.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Also, another thing is Miyamoto said they were considering going episodic with this entry, what if the main physical release is the Star Fox 64 reimagining being a touch longer, then we get further stories and campaigns in decent chunks via dlc? I mean Splatoon has had some success in trickle content release, though this would be closer to expansion packs. This would mean Krystal wouldn't come in until later, but give a better time period to introduce her. Just a thought

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
I honestly feel like abandoning the Star Fox hype. Even if they are hiding Krystal for later reveal, Star Fox Zero looks like a re-amp 64 game with some of Star Fox 2 mechanics. It's disheartening to see.
I feel the opposite, it looks great with a good return to form, but a more compact model that hearkens back to the N64 style. Another thing to consider is that if they built the main story in little over a year it means a shorter turnover time.
What if they turn this Star Fox into more of a platform like Splatoon/Mario Kart, the base bit is solid, but then they add more stories and vehicles as expansions allowing this game to cover more periods than ever before, for example imagine if we got a dlc campaign that's a bit shorter than the main one, but has you in the original prototype arwings exploring the adventures of James McCloud, or even a new origin for Krystal. This game has a lot of potential and should be interesting to see how it plays out

DeNice

Smash Cadet
NNID
DeNice1776
3DS FC
2509-1398-2342
(Warning: long post a-comin')

I'm too, am excited for the game (Star Fox Zero)... but more on the lines for it's actual gameplay and not how it's treating it's franchise and lore. I get the reasoning, Star Fox needs a way to re-invent itself in order to gain it's appeal again considering it was always a B-rank franchise to Nintendo compared to Mario and Zelda. Expanding the formula of Star Fox, and going back and including things from the unreleased SNES SF2 and making them official, plus the added scale of the size of areas and whatnot DOES excite me, don't get me wrong. However, my criticism (as well as a lot of people's) is how they're YET AGAIN recycling Fox's beginning story and his conflict with Andross. It's now the 4th time (original SNES, then 64's retcon, then 3DS remaster, and now Zero's reboot) we've dealt with this familiar story and its core mechanics and while the additional options are very nice, I don't like the fact that Nintendo (or rather Miyamoto since he's project head) doesn't seem like they're ready to let Fox go on with his life. It's like he's stuck reliving his college years because he's depressed his adult years weren't as kind to him (hell, we as Star Fox fans already know some of Zero's character script out the gate by default... "Ya can't beat me, better ship", "Hey Einstein/Genius...", "FOX, get this guy off me", "Can't yet you do that...", "Do a barrel roll...", yadda, yadda, yadda...) Let's not forget Star Fox as a franchise doesn't have a lot of games under its belt, so when about 60% of your franchise's games is basically multiple re-toolings of the same "thing" it feels very stagnant, even if the features are new and innovative.

I say if you had to go backwards and rebuild the series from the ground up, they should've went further in the past and did JAMES's story with the original Star Fox team instead and further explore that lore so I don't feel like I'm just watching a remastered movie again. I know that Assault was sorta in the middle as far as reception goes, but for what it did right, it did well and was a step in the right direction. It had a fresh new story with new antagonists, both Star Fox and Star Wolf shaking up their team members, roles and motives, the voice actors fitting a bit more naturally to the characters and less hammy (meme-y, like the 64 cast that Nintendo embraces so much now. Sorry but I do NOT look forward to hearing 64 Wolf's VA in Zero when Assault Wolf's voice was absolutely perfect for him.). It may had been shaky (too many foot-missions, not enough Arwing) but at least it was moving forward and maturing as a series (and on a personal note, I REALLY liked the ship designs in Assault better than in 64. Speaking of which, don't mind Zero's artistic style too much overall. Could be worse... [coughCommandcough]).

I keep having this vision of Fox being in bed with Krystal aboard the Great Fox (figuratively speaking) one night and Fox waking up randomly, nudging her awake and going 'Hey, Krystal... You remember the time we went to Venom?" and Krystal, while giving him a tired/sleepy/annoyed expression replying back, "Fox... How many times are you going to keep telling that story...? That was years ago... Andross is gone, dear... You've got other problems to deal with... and I wasn't with you back then, remember...? Now go get some rest so we can deal with this new problem... together... OK?", then burying her head under her pillow and going back to sleep. I think we as Krystal supporters... and above all, Star Fox fans in general, feel like 'that Krystal' I just described... (complete with hitting Fox in the face with said pillow afterwards.) We just want to move on and finally be accepted as part of the lore, a true part of Team Star Fox, without feeling like an afterthought. I just feel Fox and crew needs to 'grow up' a bit now and stop being scared of taking in the post-64 elements that worked and characters that were relatively liked (Krystal & Panther the main two) and 'build-as-they-go'. It's not like they can't add those two characters' wits and have them fit in to the 64-style of story-telling and importance. They just need to stop being scared of the prospect and just be bold in it. If you're going to acknowledge them, then at least give them the chance to work their way into their own darn story lore.

And as a series itself, they're going to have to find a way to make this series a 4-player online co-op one day with a player taking the role of each Star Fox member. I don't mind the single-player aspect, but accomplishing that feat would make Star Fox's appeal sky-rocket and be more meaningful for re-imagining the series [make you FEEL like an actual team taking on a galactic army or menace]. Zero not having ANY multi-player whatsoever is just... ridiculous at this point, rebuilding be damned. Game's been in development for over 5 years now, there just ain't no excuse for this one.

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
There are a lot of things which can be done with Starfox, and it's good to remain optimistic but...

We're talking about Nintendo here. It almost looks like they abandoning the Wii U ship and sailing straight for whatever the NX is. If you look at it that way, then DLC content is kinda compromised.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I think the issue on Miyamotos part is that he's so caught up on the inspiration behind the series that he doesnt realize that next to no one even cares about it now. I get it, a show from the 50s inspired you to create the series, that's great, but you dont need to make another 64 because of it, you just released Star Fox 643D a few years ago, and you could easily make a documentary about it and include it with the game, put it in an art book, or just upload it.

No disrespect to Thunderbirds as I heard it was popular back then, but it's unfortunately something that isnt relevant in Japan and the US anymore. Japan likes mechs, and they seem to really like the moe industry after what Awakening offered.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
I dont think it's the same guy I was talking about, but apparently even these guys from Gamexplain are disappointed with Zero in that it's the same thing again, and even they're concerned with the others that appeared after 64. I've actually noticed a sudden turn in that while some purists are happy about this game, a good portion of em are saying they wanted something new and are worried about the newer characters.
That idea with the Kremlings. I'd be so in, lol.

Edit: Okay, I think I just saw that Star Fox Command is coming to Wii U. I'm guessing it's VC. Wonder how that'll work.

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
So hey, while it may not be everyones favorite, Star Fox Command is being released on the WiiU virtual console thr 25th. This may sound very optimistic, but if Zero truely retconned the sequels this wouldn't of been released. So I'm willing to say that Krystal and everyone is safe, but I don't want to say that right now as if its absolute, im guessing nothing's changed.

Top Bottom