• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Both of them were stellar, story-wise.

Who knows? Maybe we could eventually see something with Star Fox similar to how Mario games handle their depth, with the main line games being simplistic affairs based around level design and fun factor and spinoff series that are more story- and character-driven. I dunno about you guys, but I'd be up for another Adventures if it had a lot of elements (and a certain character) that Zero currently lacks.
I agree. If Star Fox does anything with its story, it should be character-driven rather than intensively focused on some super important duty or whatever. It's nice to have some over-arching theme, but if there's little to no character interaction/development, than it would just fall apart. This is especially so, considering that Star Fox is a team-based franchise.

It would be nice to be able to play as the other characters during the story too, but it seems that Nintendo didn't want to do that. We see much more of Fox as a character than anyone else, so we're left to fill in the gaps. At times, when we fill in the gaps for the other characters, we can blind ourselves to just how simple the franchise really is meant to be.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this formula won't sell the game all too well. We shall see.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I agree. If Star Fox does anything with its story, it should be character-driven rather than intensively focused on some super important duty or whatever. It's nice to have some over-arching theme, but if there's little to no character interaction/development, than it would just fall apart. This is especially so, considering that Star Fox is a team-based franchise.

It would be nice to be able to play as the other characters during the story too, but it seems that Nintendo didn't want to do that. We see much more of Fox as a character than anyone else, so we're left to fill in the gaps. At times, when we fill in the gaps for the other characters, we can blind ourselves to just how simple the franchise really is meant to be.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that this formula won't sell the game all too well. We shall see.
As you and I know, the fanbase is divided between the camp that wants Star Fox to evolve and for us to gain a better understanding of the characters, without the cliche Miyamoto storytelling, and the camp that doesn't want evolution

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
As you and I know, the fanbase is divided between the camp that wants Star Fox to evolve and for us to gain a better understanding of the characters, without the cliche Miyamoto storytelling, and the camp that doesn't want evolution
More or less. I wouldn't divide it into "want evolution" and "not want evolution".

I would divide it into "want evolution" and "not aware of the possibilities of Star Fox evolution". And maybe "want nostalgia" as a third party.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The fluffiness is weird this time. Retro got it right on DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Cranky but this is weird to me.
Retro did a great job with DK, but this render of Fox just looks amazing to me.

The game itself looks amazing too, the best graphics I've seen on the Wii U yet, at least going by the videos.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Alright, I am a bit of a hothead I am not going to lie, but I was inspired by Operation Moonfall and Operation: Rainfall's success
Heh, I've dealt with worse. I've been a sort of mediator in many communities in the past. I'm glad you're enthusiastic. We need that. I'll play the other half of your conscience in times when you get carried away.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Retro did a great job with DK, but this render of Fox just looks amazing to me.

The game itself looks amazing too, the best graphics I've seen on the Wii U yet, at least going by the videos.
But...wasn't this developed by Platinum?

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
The thing is, Starfox games don't come as often as Mario ones, so we'll be waiting quite a while for that 'game' to happen.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
The thing is, Starfox games don't come as often as Mario ones, so we'll be waiting quite a while for that 'game' to happen.
And there's no guarantee that the next Star Fox game will even be out or coming out by the time the next Smash game is being developed or released. Hypothetically speaking, timing for Krystal has and perhaps always will be an issue. :/

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Time for me to clear my mind finally I think. Lots of other things to do irl.

You guys keep calm and carry on. In this community, Krystal lives.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
They were comparing how Retro made DK to how they're supposedly making Star Fox. thing is, Star Fox is being developed by Platinum, and we have no idea what the hell Retro's working on.
No one said Retro was making Star Fox, what was said was that DK's fur looked better than Fox's.

Which I disagree with.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm sure this is just an interquel in the Star Fox canon. Consider this a means of getting the series back in the public conscience before another studio takes the reins.

Krystal will be back in due time. Something good is going to happen.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I'm sure this is just an interquel in the Star Fox canon. Consider this a means of getting the series back in the public conscience before another studio takes the reins.

Krystal will be back in due time. Something good is going to happen.
It will take some time, though. Roughly 7 years of waiting for this (not counting Star Fox 64 3D), and an indeterminate amount of years afterwards for a followup game. Not trying to be a downer, though. What will all this waiting mean for Smash?

We will see. Eventually.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
More or less. I wouldn't divide it into "want evolution" and "not want evolution".

I would divide it into "want evolution" and "not aware of the possibilities of Star Fox evolution". And maybe "want nostalgia" as a third party.
Great point Random
Heh, I've dealt with worse. I've been a sort of mediator in many communities in the past. I'm glad you're enthusiastic. We need that. I'll play the other half of your conscience in times when you get carried away.
Thanks, you think I am bad talking about Smash, I am much worse on Buccaneers gameday

Foxy Renegade

Smash Cadet
There will always be the set of fans that believe the original should never evolve and that it should remain the same for any future iterations. Look at literally any game with sequels and this tends to happen. Hell, I've been dealing a lot with it in the forums for the Gears of War Remaster Beta. These people are always obnoxious, condescending, and believe that there can only be one. Sadly, when companies decide to listen to these fans and halt actual development in it can be catastrophic to a series (StarFox). Also, they do attack our cause quite consistently really. Most of those that strongly support the 64 version tend to blame Krystal because apparently a scapegoat is necessary. I've read comments in news articles for Star Fox Zero just today that have exhibited that hostile behavior. Rebooting the Star Fox series was always going to be a challenge, but killing it and starting from the beginning isn't the answer.

And to that person that keeps defending Nintendo: You need to understand that this was a largely counterproductive move in an otherwise very upward moving trend. Nintendo remains to have issues that will continue until they can figure out a happy balance between being innovative and learning from their fans and previous failures. Maybe people in a Krystal-Supporting thread are frustrated because this crowd seems to continuously get neglected like a middle child.

As for Krystal's chances, they are strongly hindered by this news. You can remain in blissful naivety about it not being, but sadly those are the breaks. Though, her chances are not dead. She stands a chance with a legitimate amount of support, but realize that she will always take a backseat to other candidates that are shown similar support. This isn't the first time that Krystal has been neglected in some way. It's starting to really feel like they want to eliminate her as some sort of remedy to their franchise's problem. Honestly, I'm starting to believe that she has higher chances to be in Smash Bros. rather than her own series. lol

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
There will always be the set of fans that believe the original should never evolve and that it should remain the same for any future iterations. Look at literally any game with sequels and this tends to happen. Hell, I've been dealing a lot with it in the forums for the Gears of War Remaster Beta. These people are always obnoxious, condescending, and believe that there can only be one. Sadly, when companies decide to listen to these fans and halt actual development in it can be catastrophic to a series (StarFox). Also, they do attack our cause quite consistently really. Most of those that strongly support the 64 version tend to blame Krystal because apparently a scapegoat is necessary. I've read comments in news articles for Star Fox Zero just today that have exhibited that hostile behavior. Rebooting the Star Fox series was always going to be a challenge, but killing it and starting from the beginning isn't the answer.

And to that person that keeps defending Nintendo: You need to understand that this was a largely counterproductive move in an otherwise very upward moving trend. Nintendo remains to have issues that will continue until they can figure out a happy balance between being innovative and learning from their fans and previous failures. Maybe people in a Krystal-Supporting thread are frustrated because this crowd seems to continuously get neglected like a middle child.

As for Krystal's chances, they are strongly hindered by this news. You can remain in blissful naivety about it not being, but sadly those are the breaks. Though, her chances are not dead. She stands a chance with a legitimate amount of support, but realize that she will always take a backseat to other candidates that are shown similar support. This isn't the first time that Krystal has been neglected in some way. It's starting to really feel like they want to eliminate her as some sort of remedy to their franchise's problem. Honestly, I'm starting to believe that she has higher chances to be in Smash Bros. rather than her own series. lol
Well said Foxy, Well said. If I was developing a new Star Fox game, I'd tell the whiny SF64 part of the fanbase "Shut up, we are going to make this game how we, the developers want it, not how you whiny little turds want it, we spent 100s of hours developing this game, you are going to play it and you are GONNA LIKE IT!"

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I understand that for many of us, the hype train has crashed. Replicating the stellar performance of E3 2014 with the amiibo, Splatoon and Miis, Lady Palutena and Pac-Man, it's a tough act to follow.

Regardless - I am still going to get Star Fox Zero. When I get back from school today, I will most definitely send in a vote for Krystal.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
So how do you propose we get everyone to support her? Not just for Smash, but to remind Nintendo that people care for her for just in case? It's obvious this has to be almost as strong as Operation Rainfall or Moonfall in that it gets noticed that the support increases.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
So how do you propose we get everyone to support her? Not just for Smash, but to remind Nintendo that people care for her for just in case? It's obvious this has to be almost as strong as Operation Rainfall or Moonfall in that it gets noticed that the support increases.
Spread the word on Miiverse, Smashboards, and any other site that applies, contact Jordan as well. If we get enough support we are guaranteed to win. This is a chance for all Krystal fans (minus the akward ones of course) to unite for our cause. Ask Krayon to draw some pictures for Operation Cerinia as well

Last edited:

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
Spread the word on Miiverse, Smashboards, and any other site that applies, contact Jordan as well. If we get enough support we are guaranteed to win. This is a chance for all Krystal fans (minus the akward ones of course) to unite for our cause. Ask Krayon to draw some pictures for Operation Cerinia as well
I'll leave that to you or someone more familiar here then, best I could probably do is Miiverse if I can even think of the right thing to say to convince those to help, but nothing more than that.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
No one wins the ballot. It isn't a contest. They take your suggestions and consider them.
btw no one beats K Rool besides veterans and choices that will never get in as in Shovel Knight or Banjo Kazooie.

Anything to help, by the way Operation Cerinia is on Twitter too
You could ask Artsy Omni on the @Smashified twitter to Smashify her.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
To be honest a Smashified Krystal would probably be underwhelming to me considering I really want to see her in Zero style now.

Though it'd still help her out a lot on the ballot, so fingers still crossed that she'll pop up eventually.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I know it was said Japan hated the stream, but was it said they weren't too happy about the game either?

IggyKoopa66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keemie
It's a shame that Krystal, Panther and Slippy's Assault/Brawl voice are not going to make the cut for the next Star Fox... As a K. Rool fan, I know EXACTLY how it feels to have your favorite character get shafted.

I'm actually more mad that it is another retelling of the first Androssian invasion. I honestly hope that the story (or lack there of) is not as barebones as it seems so far...

It's even more disturbing that Miyamoto was the one who forced Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures and yet won't keep Krystal in the series. While Command did TOO MUCH, I think that Assault's dynamic was the best, Peppy as a mentor on the Great Fox, with Krystal taking his place as pilot. The romance between Krystal and Fox was barely touched upon in Assault, and that's where most people's complaints about her come from.

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
It's a shame that Krystal, Panther and Slippy's Assault/Brawl voice are not going to make the cut for the next Star Fox... As a K. Rool fan, I know EXACTLY how it feels to have your favorite character get shafted.

I'm actually more mad that it is another retelling of the first Androssian invasion. I honestly hope that the story (or lack there of) is not as barebones as it seems so far...

It's even more disturbing that Miyamoto was the one who forced Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures and yet won't keep Krystal in the series. While Command did TOO MUCH, I think that Assault's dynamic was the best, Peppy as a mentor on the Great Fox, with Krystal taking his place as pilot. The romance between Krystal and Fox was barely touched upon in Assault, and that's where most people's complaints about her come from.
It's still kind of unbelievable to me that they went this route. Star Fox 64 3D was the last game which was already the "reimagining". I didn't think they'd dip into that well twice, albeit with an obviously more standalone game. Looking at gameplay however, it looks like Star Fox 64 HD with a new vehicle and control gimmick. That's it. Pretty uninspired.

It sure looks like they've completely forsaken on-foot portions what with the Arwing transformation, which makes me sad.... and as a result we'll see less of the main characters. It's not just the apparent removal of Krystal that bothers me, it's the regression of everything. So far there appears to be less content. A couple new vehicles and a control gimmick doesn't cut it. Both feel unnecessary. What does the transformation do that the Landmaster can't, and what does the copter thing do that the Arwing can't? And gimmicky controls aren't usually something people end up loving. Given the option, most will forgo controls like that. If this is all they feel they need to do to make something interesting and inspired out of Star Fox, then in my eyes, they've failed. Some of us actually care about the games canon and the characters. But Miyamoto has never been much for doing any of that sadly.

I'm really hoping what we've seen is still demoware that shows gameplay but not actual missions or anything. They've got a whole half year to show us that there is more depth. Give us clues that it's more than it seems and that the final product won't just be the "Star Fox 64 2" that it literally seems to be.

Seriously, it's funny to me that I'm actually hoping that Star Fox gets a spin-off that takes us back towards the Assualt/Adventures direction after hearing you guys talk about it. This game feels like an empty shell. Assault and Adventures had character. It's a shame they're so universally underrated.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It's still kind of unbelievable to me that they went this route. Star Fox 64 3D was the last game which was already the "reimagining". I didn't think they'd dip into that well twice, albeit with an obviously more standalone game. Looking at gameplay however, it looks like Star Fox 64 HD with a new vehicle and control gimmick. That's it. Pretty uninspired.

It sure looks like they've completely forsaken on-foot portions what with the Arwing transformation, which makes me sad.... and as a result we'll see less of the main characters. It's not just the apparent removal of Krystal that bothers me, it's the regression of everything. So far there appears to be less content. A couple new vehicles and a control gimmick doesn't cut it. Both feel unnecessary. What does the transformation do that the Landmaster can't, and what does the copter thing do that the Arwing can't? And gimmicky controls aren't usually something people end up loving. Given the option, most will forgo controls like that. If this is all they feel they need to do to make something interesting and inspired out of Star Fox, then in my eyes, they've failed. Some of us actually care about the games canon and the characters. But Miyamoto has never been much for doing any of that sadly.

I'm really hoping what we've seen is still demoware that shows gameplay but not actual missions or anything. They've got a whole half year to show us that there is more depth. Give us clues that it's more than it seems and that the final product won't just be the "Star Fox 64 2" that it literally seems to be.

Seriously, it's funny to me that I'm actually hoping that Star Fox gets a spin-off that takes us back towards the Assualt/Adventures direction after hearing you guys talk about it. This game feels like an empty shell. Assault and Adventures had character. It's a shame they're so universally underrated.
I know how you feel, I was dreading Miyamoto would do this and I was right,

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman

THIS. This has been everything I said whenever I would talk about this game after E3. But let all I have been getting is, "This game is better because no Krystal!", "This is how Star Fox is suppose to be!", "It doesn't have Adventure or Assault in it so its automatically the best game!" and its so annoying that people are letting their nostalgia get the better of them. I really don't want this. But if the game loses its new shiny feel and people start to look at the game as it really is then. Then they will finally realize that it wasn't Krystal, or Adventures or Assault that ruined Star Fox. It was lazy development and lack of story/character development that was the root case and continuously remaking Star Fox 64 wouldn't fix that.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
THIS. This has been everything I said whenever I would talk about this game after E3. But let all I have been getting is, "This game is better because no Krystal!", "This is how Star Fox is suppose to be!", "It doesn't have Adventure or Assault in it so its automatically the best game!" and its so annoying that people are letting their nostalgia get the better of them. I really don't want this. But if the game loses its new shiny feel and people start to look at the game as it really is then. Then they will finally realize that it was Krystal, or Adventures or Assault that ruined Star Fox. It was lazy development and lack of story/character development that was the root case and continuously remaking Star Fox 64 wouldn't fix that.
I agree, people don't want to take things that Adventures and Assault had and make it better. They just want to stick to how the old ways were.

StormC

Smash Hero
From a fan of another neglected Rare character... I can only send my condolences. Sorry, folks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom