• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pretty in pink or true in blue, Krystal for Sm4sh!

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Is everyone still gonna buy the game once it's out? I'd be willing to try it.
I was looking forward to some Online Multiplayer but if Nintendo doesn't wanna move with their time, then no. I don't feel compelled to buy the game if it's just a 1 player mode like Assault's. The fun came in the multiplayer mode.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
This.

There's little that can be done to make her relevant again before the ballot becomes exhausted.
Good thing we don't necessarily need relevance now, or else King K. Rool wouldn't be a frontrunner.

What we need to do is find a way to compensate for this game happening at a time when Krystal wasn't around yet. How do we keep her in people's minds?

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, though I didnt want another 64
No one wanted another 64 that wanted the series to advance and grow. Only first gens wanted their precious 64 game-play back...Nintendo is the only company I know that literally took nine years of growth and said. "Oh very small, older players want 64 again. So lets make it Star Fox 64 For the Wii U!" Even the details look very much like the 64 and NES...

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Is everyone still gonna buy the game once it's out? I'd be willing to try it.
Probably not, but we'll see. It's just not compelling enough for me. It seems to be dipping back into the old corny character interactions to forego character development, etc. It just makes it easier for them to develop. Then again, Star Fox was kinda always like that...

It's just getting old for me.

No online matches is another let down.

What we need to do is find a way to compensate for this game happening at a time when Krystal wasn't around yet. How do we keep her in people's minds?
That's what I was insinuating; it's gonna be difficult to keep her in people's minds. This is especially so, considering that people now have a reason to shoot her down because "she's not in the new game". It's just more fuel to the fire of ignorance :/

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
No one wanted another 64 that wanted the series to advance and grow. Only first gens wanted their precious 64 game-play back...Nintendo is the only company I know that literally took nine years of growth and said. "Oh very small, older players want 64 again. So lets make it Star Fox 64 For the Wii U!" Even the details look very much like the 64 and NES...
That's Nintendo being ********, they are even lazier than EA, Nintendo ignored the majority for a vocal minority

Last edited:

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
That is was disappoints me so much. I wouldn't be nearly as depressed about Krystal not in the game (as well as we know) if they had made something different. I mean, Star Fox is a group of space mercs that fight for good in the while universe. SO much more could had been done, but no. We needed Star Fox 64 to be remade with some parts for Star Fox 64: 2...

They wanted to bring Star Fox back to the fore-front and remaking Star Fox 64 is NOT the way to do this....

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
That is was disappoints me so much. I wouldn't be nearly as depressed about Krystal not in the game (as well as we know) if they had made something different. I mean, Star Fox is a group of space mercs that fight for good in the while universe. SO much more could had been done, but no. We needed Star Fox 64 to be remade with some parts for Star Fox 64: 2...

They wanted to bring Star Fox back to the fore-front and remaking Star Fox 64 is NOT the way to do this....
I was afraid of this, the vocal minority ruined it for the majority. This is why we need to be more vocal and militant

Last edited:

ghastmine

Smash Ace
NNID
ghastmine
It feels like Nintendo is literally trying to destroy their franchises, first we get this, We get Federation Force (I'm not calling this a Metroid game, it doesn't deserve the title), I still wanna know where Retro is btw. F-Zero is still nowhere to be seen, Paper Mario is forced into the Mario and Luigi games, Animal Crossing gets a ****ing Mario Party rip-off and a home designer, Zelda gets a Four Swords sequel for some ****ing reason.

This direct was just tragic and only served to shove more Mario down people's throats, we get it, 30th anniversary
Retro is working on a xbox game called Recore

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302

I'm actually afraid for the sales too just like how Star Fox 64 3D didn't sell too well.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I actually bought Starfox 64 DS, I'm not sure I played it more than 10-15 hours. There was just nothing 'fun' or 'innovative' about this game. It felt old, even though it was new.

TheCynicalCdr

Smash Ace
I'm actually afraid for the sales too just like how Star Fox 64 3D didn't sell too well.
And that's just it, you know it wont sell, especially not in Japan where the series popularity died down after Assault. I hate to say this, but if Fire Emblem Awakening skyrocketed in popularity because of it being new, having good gameplay, and also having a good number of girls, then they could've done this by making a newer story, improve the gameplay so it's better, and have Krystal and the other girls more involved but not enough to completely overshadow the guys. Kid Icarus Uprising even got popular for similar reasons, and that was almost a Star Fox game on its own. Think how that would've been?

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
A bit late to the "party" I see.

Caught up on the Nintendo news and the thread here. Not surprised by the reaction. We are kind of dealing with our worst case scenario. Krystal seems out. The implications are heavy, but not absolute. I never saw a mention of a timeframe for this game. It's basically an alternate universe apparently. Krystal could still show, but I'll admit it doesn't look good.

The game itself was very underwhelming too. Sadly, the focus was entirely on the gimmick more or less. Miyamato doesn't seem to know a formula that'll help Star Fox. It wanted depth. He seems to have pushed his characters into the background which has done the opposite. Fox and co are just campy Arwing voices again. I wanted to see some on foot gameplay and cinematics. Something that made the characters feel alive and gave them character. This appears to be a regression for all of Star Fox.

I wanted an Assault game with depth. I wanted on-foot portions. I wanted the characters I love to get some proper treatment. Hate to say that I'm just not interested in this game is this is all it has to offer. It looks pretty, but that's just the hardware doing it's job.

The optimist in me is reminding me however that this bit of info really just gave us a sample. There's many unanswered questions. The negative feeling I'm getting is mostly due to what I don't know, not what I do. When I think about it, somehow Nintendo managed to feature a game I knew almost nothing about and told me stuff I already knew. Half the presentation was about Miyamoto's history with Star Fox which just felt like filler in place of actual substance. I'm well aware of the story Nintendo, heh.

Anyways, the take away... very disappointing, but the lack of info leaves room for more to be revealed later and that info could help. It does nothing to help us now however and the negative implications are strong. I'd have at least liked something. We're still working with a blank slate, and that at least allows some creative freedom I suppose.

My support for Krystal has been shaken some but I've taken a deep breath and realized that we still have a great character we support with tons of potential. We don't have the tools I'd hoped for at this point to push for her and we'll have people telling us she's gone now, but K. Rool's had a similar issue and that hasn't slowed his supporters down. Now our beliefs have been tested. We have to stand beside our character in spite of what happens if we're to prove our belief in her is still strong and true. Already, her support has been heard by Nintendo in all our ballot votes. Krystal is not forgotten, even as it appears Miyamato has forgotten her.

Oh, and not even getting Wolf announcement was a surprise and a disappointment. This Star Fox Wii U trailer really has done nothing for the characters. Couldn't even throw Wolf a bone.

Here we are guys. Facing our worst case scenario. Stay calm and stand firm. We don't need to overreact and doomsay. This is not the end.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
OH MY GOD! STOP QUITTING ON NINTENDO JUST BECAUSE THIS ONE ****ING DIRECT WAS BAD! So what, Nintendo had a bad E3, but look at last year, and the year before that. Stop acting like children.

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
You know we're in the f**ing Twilight Zone when Square-Enix answers all of their fans Prayers (KH3, FF7 REMAKE, etc.)
-and Nintendo of all companies is the one ****ing on it's fans hopes; New "Metroid" game, Death of Krystal, Paper Mario: Lol we're still not giving you TTYD2 and Animal Crossing Party- (because you know everyone asked for that.)

Man. I don't even know anymore.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
OH MY GOD! STOP QUITTING ON NINTENDO JUST BECAUSE THIS ONE ****ING DIRECT WAS BAD! So what, Nintendo had a bad E3, but look at last year, and the year before that. Stop acting like children.
It's not that it's an in general thing, Star Fox Zero and that new Metroid were the straws that broke the camel's backs for me
You know we're in the f**ing Twilight Zone when Square-Enix answers all of their fans Prayers (KH3, FF7 REMAKE, etc.)
-and Nintendo of all companies is the one ****ing on it's fans hopes; New "Metroid" game, Death of Krystal, Paper Mario: Lol we're still not giving you TTYD2 and Animal Crossing Party- (because you know everyone asked for that.)

Man. I don't even know anymore.
Even Microsoft gave the fans exaclty what they wanted. This just proves that Iwata is incompetent

Last edited:

Foxy Renegade

Smash Cadet
And to think, I thought Nintendo was making a solid attempt to recover with the way this iteration of Smash has been going. There is no way in hell that I'm buying Star Fox Zero, and that's not simply because Krystal isn't present. It's because they completely neglected every fan that wasn't the crying and whining 64-genners. First off, we have the absence of Krystal which this thread reacts most strongly to. Then we have what seems to be a very retold story and no new character reflection or arcs. This is the kind of writing that gets cancelled after it's first season on TV (or never makes it there to begin with). Next we have the brilliance that is not including multiplayer in a game that seems almost built for it. I hate to break this to you Nintendo, but you don't have the same story-telling finesse that Bioshock or the Last of Us had to be solely single player. Then we have the Transformer-like Arwing which just seems ridiculous to me, but hell maybe I'm the only one.

I didn't watch or care about the rest of this Direct, but from what I've heard on here it was equally as much of a letdown. Once again, Nintendo shoots itself in the foot. After watching the Fallout 4 and Gears 4 presentations this just made me wonder why they saved it for E3. The video I posted moments ago matches exactly to the letter how I feel.

I'm not saying we should give up on Krystal, because there are plenty of characters that are in that are from old games or older iterations of their games. But, we should all brace ourselves for the more than likely disappointment that Nintendo seems so proud to deliver. And yes, if you want a chance to bring Krystal in this game we will apparently have to become more belligerent like the 64-genners. This quiet movement that we've been making doesn't make the ripples that it needs.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
While Sony and Microsoft are like the MMA prizefighters, Nintendo is like the "Special" child eating glue in the corner. (Yes Special is a euphemism for mentally challenged)
No i'd say Sony and Microsoft are like 2 kids who think they are the **** but really aren't, yet everyone is still intimidated by them

Last edited:
They're apparently developing something for Wii U from what I can find, hey, maybe Metroid isn't dead
It wouldnt be dead anyway. a spinoff doesnt kill the franchise. Unless your banjo Kazooie but thats its own very unique case

as for Krystal as my need to right falsi enformation has brought me out. . .I expect this to be like Donkey Kong Country Returns. Iwouldnt be surprised to see Krystal return in Star Fox 2 like dixie did in Tropical freeze

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
And to think, I thought Nintendo was making a solid attempt to recover with the way this iteration of Smash has been going. There is no way in hell that I'm buying Star Fox Zero, and that's not simply because Krystal isn't present. It's because they completely neglected every fan that wasn't the crying and whining 64-genners. First off, we have the absence of Krystal which this thread reacts most strongly to. Then we have what seems to be a very retold story and no new character reflection or arcs. This is the kind of writing that gets cancelled after it's first season on TV (or never makes it there to begin with). Next we have the brilliance that is not including multiplayer in a game that seems almost built for it. I hate to break this to you Nintendo, but you don't have the same story-telling finesse that Bioshock or the Last of Us had to be solely single player. Then we have the Transformer-like Arwing which just seems ridiculous to me, but hell maybe I'm the only one.

I didn't watch or care about the rest of this Direct, but from what I've heard on here it was equally as much of a letdown. Once again, Nintendo shoots itself in the foot. After watching the Fallout 4 and Gears 4 presentations this just made me wonder why they saved it for E3. The video I posted moments ago matches exactly to the letter how I feel.

I'm not saying we should give up on Krystal, because there are plenty of characters that are in that are from old games or older iterations of their games. But, we should all brace ourselves for the more than likely disappointment that Nintendo seems so proud to deliver. And yes, if you want a chance to bring Krystal in this game we will apparently have to become more belligerent like the 64-genners. This quiet movement that we've been making doesn't make the ripples that it needs.
Well said Foxy, Well said, if we all boycott SFZ, and go on the warpath online, Nintendo will have to listen to us

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
The day is not done, and neither is E3. Nintendo has been known to throw us cookies late game. I'll wait on that.

To keep my mind away from negative thoughts though, I think I'll distance myself from here most of the day. I don't need to be sitting here refreshing news like a desperate fan. What happens will happen. Focusing on other responsibilities will help clear my head. Might also allow me to formulate a contingency plan with a clear head too.

I suggest anyone that's being pushed around by their emotions too much, takes a deep breath and perhaps a break too.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
You act like this is just a sudden change of mind. This has been a collection of things that finally broke the spirits of a lot of Nintendo fans. You're the one acting like a child for attacking others opinions that don't go along side with your own.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
It wouldnt be dead anyway. a spinoff doesnt kill the franchise. Unless your banjo Kazooie but thats its own very unique case

as for Krystal as my need to right falsi enformation has brought me out. . .I expect this to be like Donkey Kong Country Returns. Iwouldnt be surprised to see Krystal return in Star Fox 2 like dixie did in Tropical freeze
Oh, I wasn't saying that the spin-off was killing it. What I should've said was "hey, maybe ACTUAL metroid isn't dead"

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
It's not that it's an in general thing, Star Fox Zero and that new Metroid were the straws that broke the camel's backs for me

Even Microsoft gave the fans exaclty what they wanted. This just proves that Iwata is incompetent
So what, you're going to quit all things Nintendo, never even look at what they have to bring in the future. Yes, Metroid is **** but that's a spin off. The new Star Fox may not be your thing but are there seriously no other games you like from Nintendo. Plus anyone heard of having two consoles. I have a Wii and a Playstation 3. Why the **** do you think you need to take sides.
Well with retro i think they talked about making a console and ds metroid so...
Retro isn't making a console... They're a small developer that works solely with Nintendo.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
The day is not done, and neither is E3. Nintendo has been known to throw us cookies late game. I'll wait on that.

To keep my mind away from negative thoughts though, I think I'll distance myself from here most of the day. I don't need to be sitting here refreshing news like a desperate fan. What happens will happen. Focusing on other responsibilities will help clear my head. Might also allow me to formulate a contingency plan with a clear head too.

I suggest anyone that's being pushed around by their emotions too much, takes a deep breath and perhaps a break too.
I've calm down a lot thanks to a company that I hate SO MUCH for how it cares little for its fan-base. CC2. And let they were the company that brought the hype back with their new trailer for Naruto Storm 4. Strange how this world works sometimes.

Katt is in the game.
Brb crying.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Katt is in the game.
Brb crying.
Wasn't Katt in 64 though? There's no way they'd take out something from their precious 64
That's exactly what I think is going on. Remember how they said last E3 there were talks of two different Metroids? This 3DS spinoff must only be one of them.
But revealing the spin-off first is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard, no joke

Last edited:
Top Bottom