• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Meh, there's just a bit more controversy surrounding Marth's return than there is Yoshi (though granted the AC symbol is kind of associated with Nook more than other characters). We could get an FE related update before Marth/Ike, I just wouldn't be surprised if that's the first we see of the franchise (like Doney Kong being the first DK update).

I believe Sakurai mentioned that being hidden would be suitable for a guest character, and seeing as how we haven't seen anything of Snake since the site got revamped, and I think it's safe to say that Sakurai has probably decided to go with it.

I don't know what to make of Meta knight, we did only get ZS Samus just recently (though she is kind of a special case), so Sakurai could just be taking his time with the newcomers (and given Sakurai's modesty, I'm not surprised that we haven't seen Meta's profile yet). He has been show quite a bit though, I think he was even in one of the first updates, so he doesn't seem any different from Pit or Wario regarding his status.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I believe Sakurai mentioned that being hidden would be suitable for a guest character, and seeing as how we haven't seen anything of Snake since the site got revamped, and I think it's safe to say that Sakurai has probably decided to go with it.

he said all third parties would be hidden.

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
Meta-Knight will most likely be a starting character, or atleast get a Dojo update, while Solid Snake won't.

Snake isn't in ANY of the pictures on the Dojo while Meta is in a whole bunch. After a character is confirmed returning THEN they begin showing up in other pics (Samus, Zelda, Bowser etc....so expect to see Yoshi pop up more). The characters shown in the E3 06 trailer all have been in pictures since the launch of the dojo except for Snake.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Maybe, after using the flutter jump, Yoshi can throw two or three huffin puffins which fly back over to him and hit him in the rear and that's what knocks him slightly upwards (or forwards).

That picture with Donkey Kong could very well just be one taken at just the right time (or setup that way.)

Also, about Meta Knight, all of the other newcomers have been given profiles at the end of the month over the last three months so I wouldn't consider him being a secret character until the end of August.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Well, it is confirmed that Snake is a hidden character and my money is on Meta being one too. If my theoy is correct, we won't be seeing their (or any other hidden character's) profiles until after/near the game's launch.
Yup, Agree.

But how many non-hidden characters are left? There are 10 starters... w/ Luigi, Peach and maybe Wario? there are 13... how many starters we'll have?

Wiseguy any opinion on the numbers and names of the starters?

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Wiseguy, nice job with the list and I probably would have made my guesses the exact same as yours...........EXCEPT for midna and wolflink in any shape or form, miis [which I think would just ruin the point of smash bros since it's a nintendo fighting game for 3 systems not just a wii game], and mr. resetti. As for the third party characters I think just snake, sonic, and megaman [though very tiny chance]. Out of your runner ups I think just Sora and Isaac have a [small] chance. As for your unincluded melee characters I think Falco will definitely come back with a different [but similar] moveset to Fox just as Mario and Luigi are slightly different. The Ice Climbers and Mr. G&W will probably stay as well since they are classic characters brought from the old Nintendo grave just as Ness and Pit were. Lastly, Sheik may possibly [I'm not keeping my hopes up though even though I'm a huge Zelda fan] return as the hooded Zelda in Twilight Princess. In your list for assist trophies I think King K. Rool and Andross may have chances at coming in since they are huge villians to both of their respective series. I'm sorry if I was too critical but those are my thoughts on the characters and I still think you did an excellant job on the character list.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Yep, I meant Roy. Sorry for the confusion...

I really do think that appearing in a recent game helps a character's chances. This would explain why the most recent incarnations of the Zelda characters, for instance, are always used.
Undoubtedly. That's why I think Ike has such good chances. But, in a series like Fire Emblem where characters almost always don't come back for a sequel, I think recent appearances should be taken with a grain of salt. And I don't think that Marth is in any danger of being cut just because there's a new lord. There's always going to be a new lord, and from now on every lord who gains popularity will most likely do so on the international scale. But none of them thus far has had the same level of influence Marth has had, and none of them have been the sole focus of as many games, either.

Their role in Melee has made Marth and Roy well known, but their importance to the Fire Emblem series has remained unchanged, in my view. It is based on the Fire Emblem games that Marth and Roy should be judged, and the fact that their games can't be played by the majority of FE should not be overlooked.
No, people outside Japan can't play any of Marth (or Roy's) games (outside of translated ROMs, that is) but that doesn't mean that their influence is any less important.
I mean, that's kind of a tree-falling-in-the-forest mentality. Just because you can't play the two FE games in which Marth was the central and most important character doesn't mean those games don't exist, that he wasn't in them, or that they didn't have any effect on the series as a whole..

His Japanese-only status didn't matter before simply because there were no internationally popular FE characters to compete with at the time.
Quite possibly. Still, you'd be hard pressed to deny that Marth isn't internationally popular now, so I don't think that his Japanese-only status is a concern anymore.

Roy's moveset is plenty cool, but Black Knight would be cooler still - and he has the bonus of being the most important villian in the series at the moment.
Done and done. I love heavy characters, and the Black Knight looks like he'd fit the bill. Plus, he might have a counter move, being from the FE series, and I would love to see a heavy counter.

Bomerman is the obvious choice for a Hudson rep, but I'm hoping against hope that Sakurai will see how brilliantly Bonk would fit in Smash and choose him instead to complete the Mario/Sonic/Bonk rivalry.
I've no doubt Bonk would work, or that he'd be fun. I just think that a character who's most powerful moves could work against him as easily as for him (Bomberman) could make for a very unique and interesting character. I'd be cool if they both got in. I myself am all for the third party characters, seeing as without them we start scraping the bottom of the Nintendo barrel, if you know what I mean.

The presence of ICs and G&W in Melee clearly demonstrated that Sakurai repsects retro characters - but I also suspect that a creative genius such as he will want to include as many new characters as possible. This is why I think ICs and G&W will be axed in favor of two new retro characters like ROB and Balloon Fighter.
I'm sure that Sakurai loves the retro characters. But I'm equally sure that he loves interesting and unique characters too. And I find it hard to imagine that he'd cut some of the most unique characters in Melee, even to add other interesting characters. It just doesn't seem like his style to completely get rid of such interesting characters.

Hey, if the Ice Climbers are cut, would you take that as a sign that Sakurai was intending to replace them with Diddy and Dixie as the new team character?

Between his jetpack, peanut pistols, orange grenades and electric guitar Diddy is already a force to be reconed with. That stupid girlfriend of his would only slow him down.
I dunno. Seems to me like an extra monkey would just help him get things done. I've seen those trunk monkey commercials, having a monkey seems pretty useful. Besides, it's not like they'd have to be identical the way the IC are. Dixie could act as back up, rather than as a double.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
I would say the starters look like this: Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, DK, Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, Ness, CF, Wario, Samus/ZSS, Ice Climbers, Zelda, Fox, Pit, Marth(or some FE)

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
as far as the bomberman/bonk debate goes in case you all forgot there is already a character that hurts itself when attacking: Pichu. So bomberman may not be as unique as first thought. I personally could do without both bonk and bomberman, just throwing it out there.
I hope not, mainly becuase i love unlockables, but yea, if King K Rool and Wolf get in, I could see it.

pineappleupsetshark

Smash Journeyman
I celebrated a lot at seeing Yoshi. It's unfortunate, but it seems that we have to go through a bunch of returning characters before we can get to the real meat and gravy.
So:
Metaknight
Captain Falcon
Princess Peach
Luigi
Ganondorf
Ness
Snake
Though TP Ganondorf WILL give us something to talk about.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Well Melee's site didn't do any unlockables until after the game came out... so we might not be seeing unlockables until after brawl. I would think Metaknight, Ganon, and Luigi are unlockable. I know Snake is.

EDIT: I think IC and maybe a FE character will be a starting character. The latter is iffy.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
as far as the bomberman/bonk debate goes in case you all forgot there is already a character that hurts itself when attacking: Pichu. So bomberman may not be as unique as first thought. I personally could do without both bonk and bomberman, just throwing it out there.
I meant more than just hurting himself with no knockback. I was thinking more along the lines of: Bomberman can finish you off with a powerful explosion, but he runs the risk of getting caught in it himself.
The same way anyone who places a proximity mine or throws an electrode runs the risk of causing their own sudden, unexpected, fiery death, so would Bomberman. The difference is that Bomberman would ALWAYS be playing with the metaphorical matches.
Still, I can see Bonk working too. From what Wiseguy has said, he sounds like he'd have a heavy characters moveset but a smaller characters maneuverability, which would be an interesting and fun combination.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
What makes you think he won't be hidden? I see him as being more of the rival and evil person of Kirby which he isn't always evil. but having 2 of the 3 kirby representatives starters is dumb to me.

EDIT: there is no probably to snake.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Metaknight probably won't be hidden because he is still being shown in screenshots... a lot. They even made a direct comment on him when they mentioned the new "hold A" change. He just hasn't had his profile done yet. Probably next week, or the one after.

Snake hasn't appeared in any screens since the website got the overhaul. He will probably be hidden, as Sakurai said guest characters should.

Elysium

Smash Lord
Anyone think Skyworld looks like a pimpin' stage??

Also I don't think Meta will be hidden. He has been kinda like the focal point of a lot of the screenies, which means that everyone and their dog will be dying to try out his top tier ownage. So why would they hide one of the most popular newcomers? [/personal opinion]

Edit: Anyone feel like they can explain the collapsing floor business? From the pics I can't see which platforms fall and which don't.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I celebrated a lot at seeing Yoshi. It's unfortunate, but it seems that we have to go through a bunch of returning characters before we can get to the real meat and gravy.
So:
Metaknight
Captain Falcon
Princess Peach
Luigi
Ganondorf
Ness
Snake
Though TP Ganondorf WILL give us something to talk about.
not luigi he is always unlockable
not ganon, he will be unlockable too, seeing as we star with 2 zelda characters already
not snake, unlockable because he is third party.
so only 5 more
metaknight
peach
ness
falcon
ice climbers.
but only meta-knight needs to be confirmed before we start getting characters like diddy kong and wolf, because they are newcomers.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hey Wiseguy, shouldn't you edit your reason for Isaac not being on that list, seeing as you don't have Sora in there?

(I'd also like to know what deal with Bonk is there, but I'm sure you've been pestered with that somewhere in this thread, so I guess I should just go look for that.)

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Anyone think Skyworld looks like a pimpin' stage??

Also I don't think Meta will be hidden. He has been kinda like the focal point of a lot of the screenies, which means that everyone and their dog will be dying to try out his top tier ownage. So why would they hide one of the most popular newcomers? [/personal opinion]

Edit: Anyone feel like they can explain the collapsing floor business? From the pics I can't see which platforms fall and which don't.
I always looked at it like the balcony things from Onett. I'd imagine they'll work the same way.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm starting to get the itch for new characters. The Yoshi update was nice, but I saw it coming from a mile away (like how DK got confirmed the day after he was shown in an E3 video, as if people didn't know he'd be back).

It's been over a year since we saw our last newcomer. I think Sakurai could afford to spill a few beans.

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
First they should confirm the ones everyone expected, Ridley, Dedede, the works. Then come out with something unexpected (Japan only? Retro?) and then blow people away with a third party character (Name begins with an S, rhymes with Tonic) and along the way introducing more new stages and items, such as more ATs

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Oplease. Sakurai isn´t going to reveal any new characters until he does profiles for all returning veterans, already-revealed newcomers and quite a few stages, items, Assist Trophies and Pokéball Pokémon. My guess is we´ll be getting them right around September, but I wouldn´t expect any SSBB info in the Tokyo Game Show.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Actually, I'm expecting some big details revealed at TGS. TGS has always been a Nintendo takeover event; They usually end up running the show. I think last year was a little bleak for them, but I also think that it was due to them not having too much at the time (I'm running on less than 6 hours of sleeping, and working 9-8 today, so I could be wrong).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
actually, according to a rumor, (which i don't believe) in a club nintendo magazine they had an interview with sakurai, who said that they had already finished sonic and gotten permission from sega. but, they got a message taking back the permission, saying to hold on and that they would give them a final answer in a few weeks, and nintendo set the deadline to tomorrow, and sakurai said that if they did get the permission, sonic would be tomorrows update.

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
This thread (well, the original posts) is one of the most enjoyable thing i've read on these board for a long time. Fingers crossed most of those predictions come true.

Is there any word on the actual roster size yet?

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
Is that from a quote by Sakurai, or just an assumption?

I naturally assume that it won't be more than 50, but if it's from a quote it opens up the possibility of so many characters, otherwise Sakurai would have said "no more than 30" or "no more than 40". So yeah, quote of not?

I'm just wondering how many newcomers there'll be, because you can almost guarantee the characters from the original game will be returning, and a few from Melee, which already amounts to a fair few. Already announced newcomers included, and the roster's already big, which is worrying for people hoping for certain characters to be playable.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
come on, who doesn't like the guide? and in the stage, if you didn't get back in the restaurant when the galaxy ended, you would miss the time portal and automatically lose all of your stocks. ouch.

O D I N

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I've been talking to the ship's computer...

I think it hates me...

Anywho, 42.

And now, for something completely different.

Today's update seems cool, but broken.

I mean, now everyone has a meteor smash. Unless only certain characters can perform this jump. And it might be based upon weight too. I'd imagine Bowser's would be the best Footstool jump for meteor smashs, while kirby's might be the worst? Provided he's the lightest. It sounds like a great way to recover if your opponent misses you midflight.

This is an excellent oppurtunity though. Cause now, characters who didn't have a "meteor smash", technically have one now. But who knows what it's strength will be like. And will it take away your double jump, and can it be used after your double jump, and before your B recovery?

God, I'm so effing tired... -_-

Top Bottom