• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I FREAKIN' CALLED IT! *gestures fiercely to his "Innate abilities" thread which discussed a very similar idea that was exclusive to Mario.*

In all seriousness, though, this is probably the coolest update to come down the road in a while. I am so gonna look forward to foiling somebody's recovery by bouncing off of their bloody skulls.

Smooth Criminal

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I can't see the Smash Dojo page from work, so bear with me here. Does it specifically say on the site that all characters will have access to this ability? To me, it sounds awfully reminiscent to the introduction of wall-jumping, where only a select group of characters could do it (mainly the lighter, more agile characters). Frankly, I couldn't imagine Bowser or DK jumping off of Ness or Falco's head, moreso than crushing them like a penny left on a railroad track.

Still a cool update, none-the-less.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I can't see the Smash Dojo page from work, so bear with me here. Does it specifically say on the site that all characters will have access to this ability? To me, it sounds awfully reminiscent to the introduction of wall-jumping, where only a select group of characters could do it (mainly the lighter, more agile characters). Frankly, I couldn't imagine Bowser or DK jumping off of Ness or Falco's head, moreso than crushing them like a penny left on a railroad track.

Still a cool update, none-the-less.
You know, you raise a very good point. I never considered that. Hold on...

Hmm... It in fact doesn't say if every character has it; I assumed they all did. But I think it'd be awesome as Bowser to finally meteor smash someone. ;)

The picture is of Yoshi bouncing off Wario. It's very possible certain characters are capable of this. :urg: That makes me sad...

Elysium

Smash Lord
Aw...so no Link bouncing repeatedly off of people's heads like a bunny?

Bouncy Bouncy!!!!
I don't know about that. I thought we saw a stage that had some altered gravity. I suppose assuming the dair is the same, could could DI your way around to bouncing on people repeatedly.... (But the altered gravity stage was just a vague memory in my head... I don't think it was confirmed.)

Well I saw this one coming ever since I unlocked Luigi in Melee (when he jumps on Mario and sends him down to death in the peach/mario fight in Adventure).

I'm starting to like these updates more, since everything people were calling is out, so now we have better chances of getting updates we didn't know of.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai talked about it as if it were just a regular ability, like smash attacks or running while shooting. It seems like he would have mentioned if it was a character-specific ability, so I'd be willing to bet that this footstool jump is something every character will be able to do.

Now, what I want to know is: does it damage opponents? From the way he talked about it, it seems like it doesn't, in which case it's use as a meteor smash is more balanced.

I'd also like to know if this works in place of a second jump, since you have to jump to use it. If so, it'd better have some nice benefits, like extra distance or greatly hampering your opponent. Still, if it could be used as a third jump... and then your ^B could be used as a fourth jump... man, the possibilities. Imagine meteor spiking someone with the footstool jump as they try to edge hog you. Hilarious.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
My first thought was combo stomping with Ganondorf...

Stomp>Footstool>Stomp>Footstool>Stomp>Footstool>infinite stomp. >:-D

>_> Anyway...

Can't wait for tomorrow's update. These are getting better all the time. Another movie of some sort would be nice.

Also: about :20 seconds into the very first trailer, it shows Link doing his D-air. Not saying you can bounce off of people the same way, but at least we know the D-air is back.

Crazy Ace 01

Smash Apprentice
1) Sora:

http://katamari.podomatic.com/2006-09-26T05_45_38-07_00.jpg
Fun fact: the Kingdom Hearts games have sold more than 10 million copies. Hard to imagine that many ten year old girls play videogames.

On Sakurai’s Poll: Yes

Comments: I have never played a Kingdom Hearts game, nor do I have any great desire to do so. I am, however, in favor of putting Sora in Brawl because it would be the equivalent of a stake in the heart of Sony. Imagine, if you will, the millions of Square Enix nuts who would purchase Wiis just for the chance to play as their precious Sora. It might be enough to convince Square to bring the next Kingdom Hearts game exclusively on the Wii, thus facilitating Nintendo's complete dominance of the console industry.

I wouldn't even have considered putting Sora on this list if it wasn't for the fact that he appeared on Sakurai poll. True, he might be just another joke character suggestion, but I'm not too sure. Some have said that Sora can't appear in Brawl because Disney has dual ownership of the character. However, the scores of crappy Disney licensed games on the GBA and DS suggest that Nintendo has a solid working relationship with that company as well. And really, don't crappy games deserve some representation for once? (Don't answer that.)
Ah... I can hear the mangled screams of Sony fans already... Muahahahahaha! :lick:

However, let me change your mind as to the crappiness of the Kingdom Hearts games. After reading your stance towards Lloyd Irving I see that you are familiar with that game's awesome battle system. Kingdom Heart's battle system is similar, except it happens with complete freedom of movement. Many times I was frustrated when I wanted to run to the side with Lloyd, only to have him move back and foward on a linear path like in Smash Bros.; Kingdom Hearts offers a chaotic, 3D battle as enemies spawn all around you. Sora also has access to the equivalent skills of both Lloyd and Genus (the magic isn't quite as flashy and he definitely has more sword skills). If you enjoyed Tales, you will love Kingdom Hearts. I can see why the "scores" of crappy Disney-Nintendo games might put someone off, however.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think that one move on Yoshi's profile on the site had him doing the move on DK. Perhaps i'm wrong but it is possible.

About the Bowser and footstool jump, what if you tried it ON bowser. Bowser has those spikes either though i guess they made Bowser have Rubber spikes in Melee (They didn't really hurt your character that much). But i'd think it would be dangerous trying to jump off of Bowser's spiked shell.

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Wiseguy said:
Comments: I have never played a Kingdom Hearts game, nor do I have any great desire to do so. I am, however, in favor of putting Sora in Brawl because it would be the equivalent of a stake in the heart of Sony. Imagine, if you will, the millions of Square Enix nuts who would purchase Wiis just for the chance to play as their precious Sora. It might be enough to convince Square to bring the next Kingdom Hearts game exclusively on the Wii, thus facilitating Nintendo's complete dominance of the console industry.
How much are they paying you?

Crazy Ace 01 said:
However, let me change your mind as to the crappiness of the Kingdom Hearts games. After reading your stance towards Lloyd Irving I see that you are familiar with that game's awesome battle system. Kingdom Heart's battle system is similar, except it happens with complete freedom of movement. Many times I was frustrated when I wanted to run to the side with Lloyd, only to have him move back and foward on a linear path like in Smash Bros.; Kingdom Hearts offers a chaotic, 3D battle as enemies spawn all around you. Sora also has access to the equivalent skills of both Lloyd and Genus (the magic isn't quite as flashy and he definitely has more sword skills). If you enjoyed Tales, you will love Kingdom Hearts. I can see why the "scores" of crappy Disney-Nintendo games might put someone off, however.

Anyways, gameplay isn't all you consider when you look at a game. Tales of Symphonia had a hilariously cliché plot for an RPG, but fairly diverse and original characters pushed it forward. Kingdom Hearts is the fanservicey amalgam of cheap philosophy, anime teenagers and a union that seems to have been spawned in the deepest crevices of fanfiction. But hey! At least Xemnas can be re-scrambled to form "mansex", right?

Moving on to today's update, I think that Footstool Jumping will be...fun? It'll probably require very precise timing, but I'm pretty sure that all characters will have the ability. Otherwise Sakurai would have probably mentioned that it would be exclusive to some degree. I agree that the imagery of Bowser footstool jumping off of, say, Pikachu's head is a tad odd, but odder things have happened.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
just watch tomorrow's update is the crusher

instead of jumping off enemies big characters crush them
is also a very powerful meteor smash

mwahahaahaha

anyway i think that the footstool jump will vary with weight in some way
stun time, distance jumped, strength could be altered here

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Anyways, gameplay isn't all you consider when you look at a game. Tales of Symphonia had a hilariously cliché plot for an RPG, but fairly diverse and original characters pushed it forward. Kingdom Hearts is the fanservicey amalgam of cheap philosophy, anime teenagers and a union that seems to have been spawned in the deepest crevices of fanfiction. But hey! At least Xemnas can be re-scrambled to form "mansex", right?
Huh. Glad I read this comment, otherwise I'd never have known how ridiculously stupid I was for playing Kingdom Hearts without any prejudices and actually ended up liking it.

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
Aaaaaaaand with the final update of the week we have...

Knuckle Joe as an AT! Works for me, I always did like absorbing his powers in the Kirby games.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Knock, knock.

Who's there?

WALL OF PAAAAAIIIIIIINNNNNNN!!!!!

Good point. Yeah, they'll probably reveal Ike or Marth before they reveal more about this stage...

On the other hand, there is Smashville, which doesn't have a character assigned to it at the moment and may well not have (although Resetti>all), which may mean that the stage may be well appear on the site sooner than we think, Ike/Marth or no Ike/Marth...
It's a fair point, after all we saw Yoshi's stage and music beofre he appeared. I guess we'll just ahve to wait and see.

The thing is though is when the FE stage is revealed, the symbol will be too. In melee, the symbol was styled after Marth's falchion blade, so if it remains the same, it pretty much guarantees his return (like the F-zero does for Captain Falcon, seeing as it's still the falcon symbol). If it's changed however, then it points to the fact that Marth isn't returning (unless it's a more universal symbol rather than a specific sword in the series).

And regarding the stage, the general consensus is split over whether it's Akanea, a place from Marth's games, or Daein, a place from Ike's. When the stage is updated, we'll know which one it is, which'll give huge support for either the return of Marth or the inclusion of Ike. That's why I doubt we'll see any FE related updates til we the main FE rep for brawl.

Which is shame because I'd actually like to see something FE related, but I don't think we'll get anytime soon.
I dunno, I think we could see a Fire Emblem rep sooner than you think. Sakurai appears to be running through all the starting characters first, and I can't picture a FE character not being included. I'll predict that Ike will be the character revealed after Meta.

We KNOW it's from Daein: it said so in an old edition of Nintendo Power...
Seriously? Do you remember the issue? I might own it...

anyway luigi is next character why? mama luigi

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gmaknzSZSCE&mode=related&search=

jk

anyway here are my theories for yoshi's egg throwing third jump

1.simple boost
Pro: doesn't change move at all
Con: no explanation or animation
2.yoshi throws egg downward
Pro: simple animation and can give another style of projectile to yoshi
Con: jumping and throwing eggs in traditional way is gone
3. in air yoshi does something acrobatic with egg like hugging it while throwing or jumping on it
Pro: longest third jump out of the three
Con: same as #2
4. while it's not a complete theory an extra config like pressing a or tapping will make yoshi do #2 or #3 of my theories
Pro: is a compromise of both needs of yoshi's egg throw
Con: might complicate the wiimote on side controler

finally on the dk picture
maybe yoshi can now ride other characters
sweet revenge mario
"Luigi! King Koopa has the princess locked up in his Cony Island Disco palace!" :laugh:

...Am I the only one slightly disturbed by that last picture of Yoshi and DK? Well anyways, good to finally see Yoshi is back, even if I rarely use him.

So who's left that's confirmed/semi-confirmed and not on the site yet? Meta Knight, Ike/Marth, Captain Falcon, maybe an Animal Crossing rep, and Solid Snake (Who I think will be unlockable, so I doubt he'll appear soon), right?

After that the character updates should become a little more... interesting :)

Anyways, I was looking at the website and the characters we have so far, and...well... is it just me, or do Zelda and Samus look kinda the same in the face? Maybe I'm crazy..
Interesting indeed. I can hardly wait for some actual newcomers to be announced.

I doubt it's Daein... There is no snow. However, I can see it being Cremia while Ashnard was in control of it.
I agree - unless it's a scene from GoD, in which case it could be Daein.

Ferro De Lupe;2629257 Well said:
Hmmm... that makes scense for Snake, but we've seen an awful lot of Meta in these updates for an unlockable character if you ask me. His ship was even in the story mode update. My guess is that he's a starting character, though I could be wrong.

As far as the FE stage goes, wasn't there a screen with a flag on it a while ago? And there was like a dragon on the flag or something? That might be the symbol.
Problem is, the symbol is not an exact match to any known symbol in any known Fire Emblem game, though some have compared it to the symbols used in Marth's games and Path of Radiance. My guess? Either it's Sakurai putting his own take on one of these two symbols, or it's a generic FE castle from no specific game, created to represent the series as a whole.

Yup, Agree.

But how many non-hidden characters are left? There are 10 starters... w/ Luigi, Peach and maybe Wario? there are 13... how many starters we'll have?

Wiseguy any opinion on the numbers and names of the starters?
Hmmm... hard to say. Assuming that the twelve characters revealed thus far are starters, I'd also expect to see Peach, Captain Falcon, Ike/Marth, Meta Knight, Ridley and Diddy Kong. Ness/Lucas, Luigi and Jiggs are also contenders in my view. We could also see another new series rep like Olimar.

Wiseguy, nice job with the list and I probably would have made my guesses the exact same as yours...........EXCEPT for midna and wolflink in any shape or form, miis [which I think would just ruin the point of smash bros since it's a nintendo fighting game for 3 systems not just a wii game], and mr. resetti. As for the third party characters I think just snake, sonic, and megaman [though very tiny chance]. Out of your runner ups I think just Sora and Isaac have a [small] chance. As for your unincluded melee characters I think Falco will definitely come back with a different [but similar] moveset to Fox just as Mario and Luigi are slightly different. The Ice Climbers and Mr. G&W will probably stay as well since they are classic characters brought from the old Nintendo grave just as Ness and Pit were. Lastly, Sheik may possibly [I'm not keeping my hopes up though even though I'm a huge Zelda fan] return as the hooded Zelda in Twilight Princess. In your list for assist trophies I think King K. Rool and Andross may have chances at coming in since they are huge villians to both of their respective series. I'm sorry if I was too critical but those are my thoughts on the characters and I still think you did an excellant job on the character list.
Cool. It's always good to hear some different opinions.

My only major qualm is this staement:

"miis [which I think would just ruin the point of smash bros since it's a nintendo fighting game for 3 systems not just a wii game]"

I'm not sure what you mean by 3 system. Besides, Miis have stared in numerous best selling titles on Wii, and they are more than deserving of a place among their fellow Nintendo icons.

Undoubtedly. That's why I think Ike has such good chances. But, in a series like Fire Emblem where characters almost always don't come back for a sequel, I think recent appearances should be taken with a grain of salt. And I don't think that Marth is in any danger of being cut just because there's a new lord. There's always going to be a new lord, and from now on every lord who gains popularity will most likely do so on the international scale. But none of them thus far has had the same level of influence Marth has had, and none of them have been the sole focus of as many games, either.
The fact characters like Marth never a ppear for a sequel is precisesly why they can be cut. Unlike Link, Marth's series can go on without him.

No videogame character deserves a free pass, in my view - their spot on the Smash roster should be continuously re-earned. Retro characters who had a significant enough impact on gaming (ie: ICs, G&W, and Marth) deserved their spot in Melee. But unless these characters are CURRENTLY relevant (ie: havinf starred in a recent game) then their spot on the roster should be given to a different retro legrend or a character who IS currently relevant.

No, people outside Japan can't play any of Marth (or Roy's) games (outside of translated ROMs, that is) but that doesn't mean that their influence is any less important.
I mean, that's kind of a tree-falling-in-the-forest mentality. Just because you can't play the two FE games in which Marth was the central and most important character doesn't mean those games don't exist, that he wasn't in them, or that they didn't have any effect on the series as a whole..
Reaching a smaller audience does make a character less influential. Marth's games were popular in Japan, but didn't reach as wide an audience as any of the internationally released games. Just setting gameplay conventions within the Fire Emblem series does not make a game the most influential, the number of lives the game affects should also be considered.

Being the first game in the series does make Marth important to the series. But the fatc that comparitively few people have been able to play his games brings him down a few notches. What value Sakurai assigns to these two factors will affect whether or not Marth returns.

Quite possibly. Still, you'd be hard pressed to deny that Marth isn't internationally popular now, so I don't think that his Japanese-only status is a concern anymore.
Sure Marth is well known the world over - thanks to Melee. As is Roy, as is Sheik, as is Dr. Mario, as is Pichu. All the characters in Melee are now known to Nintendo fans everywhere, but that matters not. All that matters is whether a character is a worthy representative of their sereis of origin and whether their potential moveset is a fun and unique addition to the roster. By these standards, Marth may or may not return.

Done and done. I love heavy characters, and the Black Knight looks like he'd fit the bill. Plus, he might have a counter move, being from the FE series, and I would love to see a heavy counter.
Indeed...

Setting aside their importance to the Fire Emblem series, will you grant me that the Black knight has a greater potential for a unique fighting style than Marth? With Meta and Pit, we already have a few nimble swordfighters - but a slowm heavy weight swordfighter with a teloportation ability would be something completely new.

I've no doubt Bonk would work, or that he'd be fun. I just think that a character who's most powerful moves could work against him as easily as for him (Bomberman) could make for a very unique and interesting character. I'd be cool if they both got in. I myself am all for the third party characters, seeing as without them we start scraping the bottom of the Nintendo barrel, if you know what I mean.
Agreed

I'm sure that Sakurai loves the retro characters. But I'm equally sure that he loves interesting and unique characters too. And I find it hard to imagine that he'd cut some of the most unique characters in Melee, even to add other interesting characters. It just doesn't seem like his style to completely get rid of such interesting characters.
Well, he's never had to cut characters before, so your guess is as good as mine.

But I still think we'll see Sakurai cut as many characters as he can possibly get away with, so as to free up more time for new characters. I for one would take Captain Olimar or Midna/Wolf over Ice Climbers any day.

Hey, if the Ice Climbers are cut, would you take that as a sign that Sakurai was intending to replace them with Diddy and Dixie as the new team character?

I dunno. Seems to me like an extra monkey would just help him get things done. I've seen those trunk monkey commercials, having a monkey seems pretty useful. Besides, it's not like they'd have to be identical the way the IC are. Dixie could act as back up, rather than as a double.
But what anout when Dixie dies? then we'll have a situation where Diddy is only half as powerful as characters like Pikachu. That's just wrong.

Anyone think Skyworld looks like a pimpin' stage??

Also I don't think Meta will be hidden. He has been kinda like the focal point of a lot of the screenies, which means that everyone and their dog will be dying to try out his top tier ownage. So why would they hide one of the most popular newcomers? [/personal opinion]

Edit: Anyone feel like they can explain the collapsing floor business? From the pics I can't see which platforms fall and which don't.
As near as I can tell, all the platforms can be destroyed by attacking them – though there is a thin cloud layer under the main platform that can still be stood on.

Hey Wiseguy, shouldn't you edit your reason for Isaac not being on that list, seeing as you don't have Sora in there?

(I'd also like to know what deal with Bonk is there, but I'm sure you've been pestered with that somewhere in this thread, so I guess I should just go look for that.)
Good point. I’ll change Issac’s profile ASAP.

As for Bonk, his presence on my list can be attributed to my hopeless optimism. That and Bonk owns!

This thread (well, the original posts) is one of the most enjoyable thing i've read on these board for a long time. Fingers crossed most of those predictions come true.

Is there any word on the actual roster size yet?
There is no official word on the size of the roster, but 35-45 would be my estimate.

From what I hear, 41-50.

We all know it's going to be 42.

(100 brownie points who whomever can guess the reference)
Of course! 42 is the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything – and the Brawl roster certainly falls under “everything”.

Ah... I can hear the mangled screams of Sony fans already... Muahahahahaha! :lick:

Thanks for the recommendation. I have a PS2 on loan from one of my friends at the moment, so maybe I’ll give KH a rent and see if it lives up to the hype. That is, if I ever beat Tales of Abyss…

Not a thing, my friend. Though they are holding my family hostage….

Aaaaaaaand with the final update of the week we have...

Knuckle Joe as an AT! Works for me, I always did like absorbing his powers in the Kirby games.
Just one question… who the heck is Knuckle Joe?

ripa9

Smash Apprentice
Hey that Skull Kid as Assist Trophy is a great idea!
After it comes from box it would bring the moon by screaming and that would crush all!

E: Why i cant see my sing? :/

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Just one question… who the heck is Knuckle Joe?
I had decided to refrain from posting here until I could get back home from this forced vacation - trying to write in this tiny USB keyboard is extremely irritating, so I've limited myself to lurking lately (I have read the latest developments on the thread, though. It's been as interesting as always :)). However, as a total Kirby geek, such a lack of knowledge of the Kirby series I can't let go.

So, to answer the question: Knuckle Joe is a Kirby character, a particular individual from the race of enemies that gives Kirby his Fighter ability. His first real appearance as a separate individual was Kirby Superstar for the SNES, where he was the Fight-type helper (go play it, now. It might be one of the best Kirbys ever, and you will also get some background on Metaknight). He has made a few appearances ever since (I think he also was cameo'ing in Kirby Air Ride), and had quite a bit of background and development in the Kirby anime. He's supposed to be rather rash and rude, and it has been underlined in the anime that thinking isn't really his strong suit.

Kirby geek, out!

*insert "the more you know" star and tune here*

GraniteJJ

Smash Cadet
Can your predicitions be truly counted as accurate if you are constantly altering them?

Shouldn't you be forced to make your predicitions and then sit on them?

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Can your predicitions be truly counted as accurate if you are constantly altering them?

Shouldn't you be forced to make your predicitions and then sit on them?
I agree, but this is no longer a thread made to critique his predictions, but rather a thread for general speculation on Brawl.

There are some intelligent conversations that goes on here, but I can never keep up with it because of the page long multi quotes and big fancy words being used. :laugh:

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember which issue it was in, but this statement also appears under the Castle stage in the official Stages topic in the general Brawl discussion board. And as I've said before, I somehow doubt Nintendo Power would lie, at least intentionally...

Crazy Ace 01

Smash Apprentice
What are they paying you?

Not a thing, my friend. Though they are holding my family hostage….
Appearently Wiseguy refused the bribe... I'm getting $1,250 a week. :chuckle:

In case you couldn't tell from my signature, I play as Yoshi. Everyone is happy to see him back, especially me, and he finally has a real third jump besides a pathetic, weak, and futile last-second air dodge. I would hope that egg-throwing is the same and Yoshi now has an inexplicable upward boost. Then again, I would like to see some change. I want the third jump but I still want normal eggs... oh the angst of it all!

On another note, the footstool jump looks interesting. Recoveries just got harder. Luckily Yoshi can throw a projectile as he recovers now... :cool:

Formless

Smash Cadet
I think that one move on Yoshi's profile on the site had him doing the move on DK. Perhaps i'm wrong but it is possible.

About the Bowser and footstool jump, what if you tried it ON bowser. Bowser has those spikes either though i guess they made Bowser have Rubber spikes in Melee (They didn't really hurt your character that much). But i'd think it would be dangerous trying to jump off of Bowser's spiked shell.
I hope they take that into account :laugh:

Viroxor

Smash Ace
A question regarding this picture:

Who's the flaming-looking person in the middle of the blow? If it's someone already confirmed, who? I see Yoshi and Metaknight, but I can't figure out who that is. Help?

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Knock, knock.

Who's there?

WALL OF PAAAAAIIIIIIINNNNNNN!!!!!
And now it's less impressive sequel, the wall of blue:

I dunno, I think we could see a Fire Emblem rep sooner than you think. Sakurai appears to be running through all the starting characters first, and I can't picture a FE character not being included. I'll predict that Ike will be the character revealed after Meta.
Nah, Ike would be a new character, and I'm sure the next new character Sakurai reveals will be a stand-alone addition from a new series (like Olimar or Balloon Fighter). That way, Sakurai could ramp up speculation and hype about new characters addtitions to the returning series without actually revealing any of them. He seems to like doing that.

Not the issue, but I remember the article. The author was speaking from assumption, not fact. We still have no idea as to the true location of the Fire Emblem stage.

Hmmm... that makes scense for Snake, but we've seen an awful lot of Meta in these updates for an unlockable character if you ask me. His ship was even in the story mode update. My guess is that he's a starting character, though I could be wrong.
My prediction is that Metaknight won't be hidden, but he will have to be unlocked, the same way Luigi and Jigglypuff were secrets everyone knew about (that's an oxymoron) in Melee.

The fact characters like Marth never a ppear for a sequel is precisesly why they can be cut. Unlike Link, Marth's series can go on without him.
Well, Marth did appear in a sequel. But that's besides the point, I know what you mean.
But I think series where all characters stand equal should go by their own rules. I'd look to the (hated by you, but still) Pokemon series as an example. There are literally hundreds of Pokemon, and all of them have just about equal standings. Nevertheless, a few pokmans manage to somehow distinguish themselves from the rest, and it's from this pool of the elite that smash draws it's even smaller list of characters.
I believe FE should go by similar rules. It doesn't matter that the lords are old characters, it only matters that they're still popular enough to be relevant.

No videogame character deserves a free pass, in my view - their spot on the Smash roster should be continuously re-earned. Retro characters who had a significant enough impact on gaming (ie: ICs, G&W, and Marth) deserved their spot in Melee. But unless these characters are CURRENTLY relevant (ie: havinf starred in a recent game) then their spot on the roster should be given to a different retro legrend or a character who IS currently relevant.
Now that I can't agree with. I hate the idea that smash should be some form of gaming popularity contest, with characters whisked in and out based on whether or not their game happened to be current at the time the next smash was in development.
Think about it: both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were gamecube titles, it's possible that TP could have come first and WW second. Midna wouldn't have a chance, since her game was no longer current. Or what happens if Midna and Bonk get in and their movesets are amazingly fun? Do they get cut when the next smash rolls around because they're no longer current, or because it's time for a new retro character? How is that in keeping with good gameplay?
It seems to me that once you make the list of video-game all-stars, very little should be able to get you off of it. And as for getting ON that list in the first place, I'd say it should take much more than just being a hot new property.

Sure Marth is well known the world over - thanks to Melee. As is Roy, as is Sheik, as is Dr. Mario, as is Pichu. All the characters in Melee are now known to Nintendo fans everywhere, but that matters not. All that matters is whether a character is a worthy representative of their sereis of origin and whether their potential moveset is a fun and unique addition to the roster. By these standards, Marth may or may not return.
But by those standards he's a shoe in. His moveset IS fun to play. The counter and the dancing blade in particular are great fun, and will remain so regardless of any nerfing that Brawl might have to offer. As for representing the series... FE was sent outside Japan based on the popularity of Marth (and Roy) in Melee. The fact that almost everyone outside Japan who knows FE must therefore also know Marth's name and face is not something you can play down.

Indeed...

Setting aside their importance to the Fire Emblem series, will you grant me that the Black knight has a greater potential for a unique fighting style than Marth? With Meta and Pit, we already have a few nimble swordfighters - but a slowm heavy weight swordfighter with a teloportation ability would be something completely new.
Yeah, I can see that happening.
A heavy character with a disjointed hitbox would be new to Smash, and although teleporting isn't new, a heavy character doing so would be new, and....

You know, just off-hand, the Black knight is starting to sound what I always imagined Ganon would be like. You know, the big Pig-Monster, could be a transformation of Ganondorf. He weilds a trident (almost like a big sword), he teleports.... but he also gets fire-bats and other cool stuff. Plus he's a monster, everyone loves monsters.
Hey, I've got a question for you: Given the possible similarities between them, would you say that Ganon might have and even greater potential for a unique fighting style than the Black knight?

Well, he's never had to cut characters before, so your guess is as good as mine.

But I still think we'll see Sakurai cut as many characters as he can possibly get away with, so as to free up more time for new characters. I for one would take Captain Olimar or Midna/Wolf over Ice Climbers any day.
Yeah, we won't really know until we see if a contested character makes it or not. I always hoped that Sakurai just meant that only a select few redundant characters were getting cut, such as Dr. Mario and Pichu. Although now I could see Sheik getting cut as well (though I'm still against this in that I don't think it solves any problems).

I guess I've just hoped that with a team of 50, his own wing at Nintendo HQ, more time, and access to all the original code of Melee, Sakurai would be able to pull of Brawl perfectly, with almost no compromises.

Haha, I thought so. Still, you have to admit it's a possibility, one that keeps in line with your way of thinking to boot.

But what anout when Dixie dies? then we'll have a situation where Diddy is only half as powerful as characters like Pikachu. That's just wrong.
Don't be a pessimist. What about when Dixie is alive? Then Diddy gets the unfair advantage of being able to hold two items at once, powered up moves, and being able to attack twice, simultaneously, with different attacks. And don't even get me started about what he could do to you once he grabs you.

Archyp Cosh

Smash Rookie
40 Man Mele...Brawl!

In response to the 40 man challenge in whatever post that was long ago, here's my reality-tempered dream team.

-- Melee --
Mario - Because he's basically synonymous with Nintendo and, oh yeah, he's been confirmed.
Luigi - Though I don't buy in to the original 12 sticking around, there's really no reason to drop Luigi. He is the Brother of the Mario Brothers after all.
Peach - With an all new moveset capturing the charms of Super Princess Peach, Peach is probably returning. She finally starred in her own game, so that's bonus points.
Bowser - He's confirmed. Also he's the quintessential Mario villain.
Yoshi - Again, confirmed.
DK - Confirmed!
Link - Confirmed.
Zelda - She's also confirmed.
Ganondorf - Because what would better represent LoZ than the big three? Ganondorf is almost as recognizable as Link! Also, he's a villain, which apparently counts for something.
Kirby - He's confirmed.
Pikachu - The Pokemon mascot since forever. Also confirmed.
Mewtwo - A villain, which is rare in Pokemon, considering their usual lack of personality. Also helps fulfill the quota for purple evil stuff attacks.
Jigglypuff - Because she's so darn popular, a good character with a unique moveset, and is popular in Japan. Also cute.
C. Falcon - F-Zero really needs the reputation. Also he's a cool character, despite his lack of recent titles.
Samus - Confirmed, plus she's pretty much needed for ZSS.
Fox - Heroic anthropomorphic space animal to draw in the furries. And he's confirmed.

-- Brawl --
Wario - Confirmed in and the leader of the popular (maybe) Warioware series of games.
Zero Suit Samus - A possible Sheik replacement, and confirmed.
Pit - Old-school cult classic. Confirmed.
Solid Snake - Because Kojima is just so darn persistant.
Meta Knight - Kirby's not-really-evil rival. He's definitely in.

-- Newcomers --

- MARIO -
None. Yeah, that's right. The Big Four plus Yoshi are more than enough for Mario's team.

- ZELDA -
Windwaker Link - Unique art style and a lot of interesting items and moves possible. Also, replaces Young Link admirably. Starred in the GCN Zeldas and the upcoming Phantom Hourglass.

- DONKEY KONG -
Diddy Kong - Smaller, faster and semi-unique DK character. DK's little buddy in the DKC series. Plus he seems to be popular enough.

- STARFOX -
Wolf - Replaces Falco. Villain, semi-important to the series. Has a mechanical eye. Also a rival to Fox! (Possible Fox Clone)
Krystal - Fan favourite, with a unique moveset assuming staff. Important to SF whether or not I want her to be.

- F-ZERO -
Female or Villain Racer (Preferrably Both) - Better be a clone, or I'm over the 40 man limit. So, uh, Blood Falcon? If there's an female villain, clone someone and toss her in. You could even have two clones here(!!!).

- WARIO -
Mona OR Captain Syrup - If Fire Emblem could pull enough weight for two people in Melee, then Warioware can too. Either a villainess or Wario's love interest. Also, Syrup is a female AND a villain which is rare enough in the Nintendo world.

- METROID -
Ridley - Villain, almost quintessential mainstay of Metroid. Adds another heavyweight character with good aerial recovery.

- KIRBY -
King Dedede - I honestly know nothing about him, but he's Sakurai's and he's been desired in both previous SSBs. Plus he's a villain!

- POKEMON -
Lucario - Recent Pokemon mascot, fourth generation, good array of fighting style moves.

- EARTHBOUND/MOTHER -
Lucas - Replaces Ness like Sakurai apparently wanted. They're similar characters anyway. Also, could be used to get America interested in Mother 3 before translation, similarly to the FE characters.
Kumatora - Because the Mother series needs a female. Similar reasons to above. A double whammy of realitvely unknown characters for an American marketing blitz.

- FIRE EMBLEM -
Lyndis - First lord playable in the first FE game released in the US. Has speed and potential ranged attacks, can replace Marth as the fast one.
Ike - Heavier fighter and Lord of the first internationally liked Fire Emblem game. Also the most recent AND Lord in two games. Replaces Roy.
Black Knight OR Marth - Toss-up here. Recent FE villain with an interesting backstory and shows up multiple times on one hand OR one of Japan's favourite lords and old-school character on the other.

- OTHER -
Balloon Fighter - Old-school and was planned for Melee I hear. Definitely a unique fighter.
Captain Olimar - Pikmin star and very unique, though that's not particularly a good thing. Reasonably popular and pure Nintendo.
Mii - For people who like Create-A-Fighter without needing to actually add a similar mode, been in a few games and have a lot of moves to choose from. I can't see why they WOULDN'T fit in fine; they're kind of like the mascot of the Wii.
Tom Nook - A bone for Animal Crossing fans, which is a popular series. Has tools that lend to a fighting style and a cut-throat outlook on life.

- THIRD PARTY -
Sonic - Because he's Mario's rival, that's why. Exceedingly well recognized and his two most recent GOOD Sonic games are on the Wii and DS respectively.
Sheena - Hear me out on this one. ToS was one of the best RPGs on the GCN, and re-introduced Tales to the modern Western audience. For characters from it, we have a few choices, but it comes down to this for me: they need more females so that leaves us with the choice between Collette, Presea, Raine or Sheena. Raine is a healer and light magic user, so she conflicts with Zelda; Collette is irritating and stupid; leaving the choice between Sheena and Presea. Judging by the current trend of female characters *cough*Zamus*cough*, I figured Sheena would have a better chance of being picked. Her move set is also far more magical (and therefore unique) than the straight-up axe-wielding physical attacks of Presea.

- OTHER POSSIBILITIES -
Ephraim - Unique spear-wielding Lord from the last FE game on the GBA. Left off because, frankly, I haven't heard nearly as much praise for FE8 as the earlier GBA games and Japan dislikes all of the GBA games already.
Megaman (Classic, X, .EXE, ZX, etc.) - If any of the above characters are left out, I'd say Megaman is the one to replace them. He's popular, classic was almost entirely on SNES, X debuted on the SNES, .EXE is exclusively Nintendo systems, ZX is the newest reimagining, and on and on. I left him out because I'm not sure whether or not Capcom wants Megaman in Brawl.
Viewtiful Joe - Mostly the same reasons as above, but replace the infinite variations with Viewtiful Joe debuted on a Nintendo system and was wildly popular for a year or so. Has enough crazy moves and personality to fit right in, but don't think he's popular enough anymore.
Falco - Could easily fill the place that I have for Wolf, either of them with an entirely new moveset. I think Wolf has a better chance due to being not only Fox's rival but ALSO a villain.
Paper Mario - Unique and can fill G&W's shoes as the crazy flat guy with weird moves.
Isaac - If I'd had more room, I'd have added SOME Golden Sun character, and Isaac is the titular hero of the first part. Note that Felix can basically replace him with no problem if you prefer the second game.
Geno - Another IF I ONLY HAD MORE ROOM. But his being a third-party character reduces his chances, in addition to starring in only a single cult-classic. Of course, I did include more Mother 3 characters...
Red/May/Other - Some Pokemon trainer. I know that most people are deathly allergic to the idea of trainers being a Pokemon rep, but they are kinda the main characters of the games as well as being the avatar for the player (especially in Battle Revolution). Also, it gets more Pokemon in there by giving them special move status for the trainers. Not that trainers don't have other items to play with - fishing rods, bikes, hammer/pick, radar, various stones, rocks, uh..cell phones...
King K. Rool - To be frank, I think he's just about as stupid as you can get. However, in light of the dearth of villainry, Kong's nemesis may very well end up as a playable character. Hmm, is it just me or is each of the main baddies outside of Mewtwo a heavyweight...?

- ONLY ASSIST TROPHY, IF THEY SHOW UP AT ALL -
Phoenix Wright - Though I'd love him to be a playable character, there's no chance of that happening. He's also techincally a third-party, being developed by Capcom and all.
Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan - Rather than their leader, I'd imagine the base groups (J and the posse for EBA, whoever for Ouendan) would come out and dance your cares away.

And there's pictures for everyone in the "NEWCOMERS" section, just click on the name.

Cheers!

SonicMario

Smash Master
You seem to have no picture for the Mii name. Why couldn't you just have some sort of sample Mii?

@ Wiseguy: That squidward picture reply was FUNNY!:lol:. You should show that picture more often if you don't agree with someone!

SonicMario

Smash Master
im not a big sonic fan i dont think he would have enough moves unless u put in the sonic heros team(sonic,taile and knuckles) that would be good to see fight
Anybody that doesn't say Sonic doesn't has the punches and kicks like how other characters do in Smash Bros., then look up Sonic Battle for the GBA on Wikipedia or something. Every single playable character pretty much punches and/or kicks except for Cream.

Personally, i think Sonic should fight solo, all his other friends should be or have:

A. An Assist Trophy
B. As normal trophies to view
C. No appearence whatsoever

Top Bottom