• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prepare to be Astounded One Last Time: Wiseguy’s Brawl Predictions THE FINAL VERSION!

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Yay, another pro shieker. welcome to this thread, RBinator. and thanks oystermiester.

@PrinnyFlute
how do you know that TP zelda didn't already know shiekah magic, but didn't use it in the game? smash brothers doesn't have to make sense. pikachu knows more than 4 moves. Unheard of! and for all of you pro ww/young linkers, (not me) how are they any less controversial than shiek? 2 links in one game? nahh, doesn't make sense.

and as for geno, sonic is getting in first. then, it is hard to choose between megaman and geno. personally i would like megaman better, but other people have different opinions.
and where is the best place to check out the live feed of the conference?
There really isn't anything that even implies it. There's a big difference between a character having some fabricated moves (Ness? PK Fire etc?) and having a fabricated link to another character (one whose existence, in this case, would be pretty much fabricated as well.)

Smash bends the rules, but so far, only to reasonable points.

And even though Smash doesn't have to cling so tightly to reality, Sakurai -does- care about what the director of the Zelda series thinks. And if Aonuma says, "Hey, don't make up something so ridiculous!" then I think Sakurai will agree.

I think one of the biggest issues with Sheik is that if he brings Sheik back (in some form,) he'll only be doing it to keep the moveset alive and to keep former Sheik players happy and in-business. Not so much because Sheik is any sort of necessary representative of the Zelda series. (As Oyster said, Sheik is Zelda...and we've already got Zelda, so...?)

Following that, I think it's fair to say it's much more likely Sheik will be reincarnated as another character entirely.

And yeah, Wiseguy. I agree it's all up to Sakurai. I just think the whole third party thing isn't as much of an issue as people usually say. I don't blame you for being a pessimist about it, though, because his chances of being playable don't seem all that hot. (I think we're more likely to see playables that are either part of current, big series, or ones that are highly retro.) But, on the flipside? I honestly think he's got a VERY good chance of being an AT in the least. He is noted by Sakurai, and if we're talking AT's and not playables, I don't see Sakurai having any kittens over wiggling him in there for a Geno Twirl or whatever to make the fans happy.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I think one of the biggest issues with Sheik is that if he brings Sheik back (in some form,) he'll only be doing it to keep the moveset alive and to keep former Sheik players happy and in-business. Not so much because Sheik is any sort of necessary representative of the Zelda series. (As Oyster said, Sheik is Zelda...and we've already got Zelda, so...?)

Following that, I think it's fair to say it's much more likely Sheik will be reincarnated as another character entirely.
It basically boils back down to what Wise had already mentioned. Sheik is Zelda, but Tetra is also Zelda (by the same principle). You don't see anyone playing as Zelda clammoring for Tetra to be playable. Why? Because they don't care about the character; they care about the moveset. Slap Sheik's moves on any other characters model, and I'd bet the majority of people griping about her potential wipe from current existence would be silenced.

And yeah, Wiseguy. I agree it's all up to Sakurai. I just think the whole third party thing isn't as much of an issue as people usually say. I don't blame you for being a pessimist about it, though, because his chances of being playable don't seem all that hot. (I think we're more likely to see playables that are either part of current, big series, or ones that are highly retro.) But, on the flipside? I honestly think he's got a VERY good chance of being an AT in the least. He is noted by Sakurai, and if we're talking AT's and not playables, I don't see Sakurai having any kittens over wiggling him in there for a Geno Twirl or whatever to make the fans happy.
The problem is that most fans won't be happy with him as an AT. Most that doubt his possibilities as a playable character are those that have most likely not played through Super Mario RPG. Many (many many many many many) of those who have, however, regard it as one of their favorite games of all time, and it's disappointing to think that the character with the real purpose in the game gets over-shadowed by the 'mustachioed' plumber.

Think of it this way, for all of you Midna supporters out there:
Midna = Main Role
Link = Supporting Role

Geno = Main Role
Mario = Supporting Role

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I totally agree with Copperpot.

IMHO, I think Sheik's moveset should be erased completely. And that's kind of sad coming from a rabid LoZ fan...

*ducks from the barrage of soon to be incoming flames*

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
there's your trailer wiseguy. finished drooling yet?
december third. thats what, 145 days?
hopefully, even more news will come tomorrow.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
nintendo has an hour of press tomorrow

also those clips seemed like a part of a big trailer which may be used during that hour time

finally there's a "guest performance" on the end of friday

just keeping my hopes up:grin:

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Well I just watched the whole Nintendo Press Conferance, and like any self respecting Nintendo superfan I'm still giddy. Reggie's rousing speech about Nintnedo's "3 pillars" philosophy (Casual appeal, Hardcore triple A titles, and GLOBAL DOMINATION!!!) is still ringing in my ears, silencing the nagging voice in my head asking "why only three seconds of Brawl footage...?" Shut up reason. This is Nintendo, and Nintendo can do no wrong.

WISEGUY.

You have another confirmed character. Check out the E3 teaser trailer and look real hard. Donkey Kong is in one of the shots, right at the tail end.

http://gametrailers.com/player/21541.html

I know I seem like one of those dorks that confirm characters just because of an announcement, but you can see DK in the shot. Clear as day.

Check it out, man.

Smooth Criminal
Yep, I see him. All 1.3 seconds of him...
Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that my second favorite character has been confirmed, I'm just waiting until we see more of his new look before gushing about how awesome DK is.

There really isn't anything that even implies it. There's a big difference between a character having some fabricated moves (Ness? PK Fire etc?) and having a fabricated link to another character (one whose existence, in this case, would be pretty much fabricated as well.)

And even though Smash doesn't have to cling so tightly to reality, Sakurai -does- care about what the director of the Zelda series thinks. And if Aonuma says, "Hey, don't make up something so ridiculous!" then I think Sakurai will agree.

I seriously doubt we will see Sheik solo appear as a playable character, but it is slightly less reprehensible than having the character appear as TP Zelda's transformation. (though only slightly...)

If not a playable, Geno will DEFINITELY be an AT. Anything less would result if a full uprising of angry Geno fans (though That might happen regardless...)

Hey Wiseguy (sounds rude lol) Donkey Kong have been confirmed. So change his status.
Done and done.

The King of Swing for HIGH TIER!!!!

It basically boils back down to what Wise had already mentioned. Sheik is Zelda, but Tetra is also Zelda (by the same principle). You don't see anyone playing as Zelda clammoring for Tetra to be playable. Why? Because they don't care about the character; they care about the moveset. Slap Sheik's moves on any other characters model, and I'd bet the majority of people griping about her potential wipe from current existence would be silenced.
Well said sir. If Sheik were low tier, I doubt we would even be having this discussion.

The problem is that most fans won't be happy with him as an AT. Most that doubt his possibilities as a playable character are those that have most likely not played through Super Mario RPG. Many (many many many many many) of those who have, however, regard it as one of their favorite games of all time, and it's disappointing to think that the character with the real purpose in the game gets over-shadowed by the 'mustachioed' plumber.

Think of it this way, for all of you Midna supporters out there:
Midna = Main Role
Link = Supporting Role

Geno = Main Role
Mario = Supporting Role
Hmm.. I've never played SMRPG (though I am eagerly awaiting the VC release) so I can neither confirm nor deny your claim that Geno is the equivilant to Midna in TP.

Can you really state with certainty that Geno gets more character development than Mario or mallo and is the main focus of the game's story?

I totally agree with Copperpot.

IMHO, I think Sheik's moveset should be erased completely. And that's kind of sad coming from a rabid LoZ fan...

*ducks from the barrage of soon to be incoming flames*
No flames for me sir. In fact, here's a cookie.

nintendo has an hour of press tomorrow

also those clips seemed like a part of a big trailer which may be used during that hour time

finally there's a "guest performance" on the end of friday

just keeping my hopes up:grin:
Notice how Reggie says that we will learn much more in the coming daysand weeks? My guess is that Nintendo is once again holding a separate event for a new Brawl trailer.

At least I hope that's the case... dang you Sakurai for toying with us constantly!

there's your trailer wiseguy. finished drooling yet?
december third. thats what, 145 days?
hopefully, even more news will come tomorrow.
August: Prime 3

October: Phantom Hourglass

Novemeber: Mario Galaxy

December: BBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a steller 2007 to me. :chuckle:

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
Hmm.. I've never played SMRPG (though I am eagerly awaiting the VC release) so I can neither confirm nor deny your claim that Geno is the equivilant to Midna in TP.

Can you really state with certainty that Geno gets more character development than Mario or mallo and is the main focus of the game's story?
Yep. Mario is first rescuing Princess Toadstool (this is before she was given her Japanese name to unify things) from Bowser for the umpteenth time. Then, once Mario and Bowser's duel is about to climax, a giant sword falls from the sky and into Bowser's Keep, sending the trio flying. Mario then meets up with Mallow, but they have no idea what's really going on. It's once they meet Geno that the chaos with the Smithy gang booting Bowser out of his castle and the Star Road falling apart that is explained. Then Peach (err, Toadstool :p) and Bowser are recruited to help save the Star Road.

After that, their quest changes from re-rescuing Princess Peach to gathering the lost Star Pieces and defeating the Smithy Gang so Geno can repair the Star Road, letting everyone get their wishes again, and so on and so forth.

So yeah, the Midna/Geno analogy is pretty accurate.

Though, Mallow does get some cool character development, but it's not central to the main story.

Sounds like a steller 2007 to me. :chuckle:
No lie! I can't remember the Big N ever releasing so many AAA titles so close to one another. Ah, this will truly be a great 2007 indeed :)

RBinator

Smash Journeyman
So it seems like we have some actual debates going on here again rather then just discussions on the latest updates.

As for talking to Square about letting Geno in, it shouldn't be that hard... :p

Sakurai: Sup Random Square Dude.

RSD: essOH i hraed U leik mudkipz.

Sakurai: How's the pie?

RSD: SO GOOD

Sakurai: Oh, bye teh wai, can we use Geno in Brawl?

RSD: Ya, lol.

Sakurai: kthxby

Anyway, I rather avoid the whole Zelda time line debate since to me, figuring that out seems more confusing then finding a cure for Cancer.

Even as pro-Sheik, I'm still aware that she can be picked up and used pretty well within like ten minutes of playing as her, unlike other powerful characters like Fox who takes a large amount of time and effort to do very good with. Plus, I hardly play as her for some reason.

First of all, you draw a distinction between Brawl Zelda and TP Zelda where none exists. The character model that Sakurai chose is based on the character in Twilight Princess - a separate individual entirely from OoT Zelda/Sheik. Having TP Zelda transform into a different person would be like Mario transforming into Wario.
I drew that because no character in Smash is alike from what their like in their own games. The difference between Mario and the many Zeldas is, it's generally been accepted that there has only be one Mario or at least hardly anything suggesting more then one. While TP Zelda and OoT Zelda are different characters, their both still Zelda in some way. Sheik may have been unique to OoT Zelda, but what's there to stop a second Sheik?

Many people assume that because Sheik is a transformation that she should be treated like an ability and not a character. But Sheik has a unique moveset that would require just as much time to program as any other unique character - and with only a minor supporting role in a decade old game under his/her/its/potatoe's belt she is not worthy of returning.

You are correct that Smash is not meant to be taken too seriously and no character is completely true to their game of game of origin - but that doesn't mean that a character's moveset can't be as remenisent of their game as possible. In cases where it is easiest to do so, Sakurai has been known to fudge continuity for the sake of fun gameplay (giving Ness Paula's Earthbound Psi powers, etc.) but I can't see Sakuraio and team doing extra work to include a gameplay mechanic that would be so obviously out of place.
Sheik's move set taking as much time to program as a totally new move set? I disagree for two reasons. One, can't they simply port animations over from Melee? My basics for that is in the second trailer, characters were shown with animations from Melee that were most likely placeholders, like Pit's standing animation being just like Young Link's. Second, reusing an old move set is easier because it's already thought up, unlike thinking up new moves (or rather, deciding which ones to use). Oh and BTW, we all know Sheik is really a shemale :p .

How would it be extra work or out of place?

It's a bit of a false comparison to equate Sheik with Giga Bowser. The former is a character with a separate and unique moveset while the later is a a bigger, uglier version of Bowser with the same moveset. There is also the fact that transforming into Giga Bowser is an ability unique ti Smash, which doesn't make it out of place. For example, Captain Falcon doesn't have many abilities in his game of origin to construct a moveset from so it makes sense to give him a completely madeup attack like Falcon Punch. But giving him an ability belonging to another character, like Samus' arm cannon, would be completely out of place.
Move sets or not, Giga Bowser is still another form of Bowser that only exists in the Smash games and he never done it in any of the Mario games. As for Captain Falcon shooting a beam out of his arm, I would agree that is out of place and characters who moves are made up do fit in with them to some degree. You seem to act like the difference between TP Zelda and OoT Zelda is like the difference between Kirby and Pikachu. Sure their not quite the same, but their not like totally different people either. TP Zelda and OoT Zelda are still both a Zelda who both use magic, both are princesses, have a similar role in Hyrule, and more. Heck, in that teaser, it seems pretty clear that Zelda is using Din's Fire, which never existed in TP. What's stopping TP Zelda from transforming into a newly created TP style Sheik? You seem so focused on that transforming into OoT is the only possible option.

Well, what something like the below put your mind at ease with TP Zelda transformating into Sheik?

"Zelda can transform into her alter ego, Sheik. Now hold up I hear you say, isn't that impossible for her to do? Well, while learning how to cast spells like Din's Fire from reading through her history on one of her great grandmas, Zelda decided to learn how to transform into Sheik."

Did you catch that? "This particular Link." That wording implies that this Link based on a specific character. Meaning, one of many. So it's safe to assume that sakurai doesn't see the series as one story repeating, with the same Link depicted in different ways, but as a series of different stories with a different Link and a different Zelda.
One thing I would like to note that others also brought up with other things quoted word from word from the site. The stuff was originally in Japanese and then brought over into English and due to the nature of the Japanese language, there's quite a bit of room for how the words can be brought into English. Of course, this doesn't stop certain stuff said from being clean cut, but which stuff, another debate altogether. Anyway, if you're gonna quote word to word, you should also point out that it said "The design of this particular Link comes from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess." It didn't said "This Link comes from The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess." This could mean just the design, not the whole character himself. You also say based, while being based off of and actually being isn't quite the same thing. It's like how the other Links and Zeldas are based off of one, but isn't exactly one of them. It could be said that the Link in Four Swords is based off of Wind Waker Link, but isn't quite him. Food for thought.

Whoah, here I come, I guess. Though the stability of Zelda's timeline is a little questionable, I've got no doubts that it's pretty important to Aonuma and friends. It -has- been stated that there is a definitive documented timeline. Sakurai's known for his networking abilities, (I remember it said that he's in charge of Smash in the first place because he's so good with communicating and working with a large number of people,) and I think he's going to go on with Aonuma's wishes, if we're talking about continuity of character.
While I'm not sure, wouldn't Aonuma care more about what could make Brawl fun in terms of Zelda characters then worrying about story and continuity when the Smash series is non-canon to all series that show up in it?

Who decides what's reasonable outside the creators of the game? What if the "rules" change from game to game? If we could be Melee, how can we say that the rules bent in that game was or was not the limit. This seems like one of the things that could be debated forever with very little basics to go off of. Might just be better sticking to other things people debated and argued about for such a long time now.

Again, I have a strange gut feeling that somehow Sheik herself won't be returning, regardless of how I may defend her. I usually expect the worst when I have mixed feelings about things and the fact remains that there's pretty much nothing that actually suggests Sheik will return and that they simply won't change Zelda's down B move.

I know Sheik wasn't the only thing discussed here, including counter arguments to other characters I talked about, but I rather keep my focus on a subject as big as this for the moment.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I have to say, that is a mighty fine list. I would be satisfied with that certainly - though I'd be in favor of cutting characters like Marth and ICs in favor of reps from different series.
But who is more important that Marth in the FE series=??? Ike is argueable, but other than that no one is more important, PERIOD! Also, yae for Dec 3rd (My dad is going to be mad his birthday), and yae for a MGS4 trailer! YIPEEE!

You mentioned cutting IC and Marth, but not G&W. Intresting...

However, I think the significance of Goroh's trophification is greater than you realize. 1 F-Zero rep is the bare minimum we could have expected for that series, and if ALL the series are treated so harshly, we can also anticipate that all the other series will also be given the bare minnimum. I also think the Assist Trophy sort of bursts my earlier theory of TONS of playable clones. It's looking more like we'll see a smaller, more unique playable roster with several hundred runnersup included as ATs.
Well Goroh has appeared in every F-Zero game, and is the only character to do so (CApt. Falcon didn't appear in a GBA one, while Goroh did). He's the 2nd most important character...and I HATE BLACK SHADOW! I'll be baised this once, and I don't think I'll back down. However, Pico still like he's got a chance, and if there are 2 F-Zero reps, Pico should definitely be one of them!

Well, Sheik is hardly in free fall, but I guess it is interesting that he/she/it/potatoe's ultra cheap movset is slightly less effective than it once was.

Yeah, yeah. Skill trumps character selection, yadda yadda. I'll still cheer when that abomination is axed.
Also, Marth is lower than I expected. I guess since only Ken, Neo, and a few other big name pros use him, that he isn't as high, along with not as much recovery options as Fox or Falco, but the side B is good. He isn't as easy as he looks, apparently (unlike Fox! :grin: :chuckle: :lick:)=odd=unexpected!

Midna was MORE important to TP's story than Link. I beleive Geno and Malo were not the main focus of SMRPG, but just sidekicks to Mario in his quest.
Well sorta, in story yes, but in gameplay obviously no. Geno was almost one of the more important characters, but Mario is theo nly one I remember who was really more important.

I think Geno fails in all these areas, save for originality.

Recognizability: His has a distinct look certainly, but if you showed his picture to 10 random people on the street - you'd be lucky if one knew who he was.

Important to videogaming: A supporting character in a single game and a cameo in a second in not terribly important in comparison to legends like Mario, Link, Snake, Simon Belmont, etc. The Mario RPGs have a ton of unique sidekicks (Paper Mario 2 in particular) so Geno isn't all that important.

Originality: He's about as unique as they come. That alone might be enough to get him a spot on the roster.

Fanbase: "Huge"? Like, Pikachu huge? Final Fantasy huge? Sorry, but the only place where they talk about him to the best of my knowlege in Smashboards and other Smash sites. Geno has a small, but devoted cult following.

Reconizability: How much SSB players, and Nintendo gamers reconize them. 1 or 2 out of 10 would reconize Geno, give or take.

Importance: Simon Belmont a legend=??? There are like 6 playable characters in the 20 something Castlevania games, lol (okay maybe less). Geno is the most popular sidekick out of the whole SMRPG/Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga series, plus he's the most important in terms of story.
Fanbase: Compared to how much he is wanted in Brawl. I saw a petition with well over 10,000 signatures, that wanted Nintendo to make SMRPG 2 (not a weak scruby PS3 fanboy boycott on Capcom for making Devil May Cry 4 go multipconsole). Look at the Geno thread, it's one of the biggest in comparision to others.

Overall, Geno passes with flying colors in 2 of those categories, stands decent in 2, and doesn't do so well in 1, give or take! ;) He stands a fair chance for the last few spots, now see how Black Mage will stack up.

Also, F*** ya! DK looks as awsome as Bowser, if not better! And Dec. 3rd...I'm there, at Gamestop, skipping school for the day, unlocking all the characters and getting used to the gameplay. Anyone else so excited they've Wavedashed around the world 28 times=??? Say "Hi" to me if you see me! ;)

@ RBinator
My thoughts exactly on wat Sakurai does, lol! XD

Also, for all you here is A Nintendo press converance=ENJOY my friends! ;) :)

Nintendo Brawl Press Conferance=WATCH!

[spam/] - Johnknight1, another insane SSB fanatic! :grin:

O, and WW Link for Brawl! ;)

[super spam/] :grin:

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
Wiseguy said:

Sounds like a steller 2007 to me.
You darned lucky americans. Here, have a look at my release dates (and then add a week to each, because usually the rest of Europe>Spain in terms of releases). Yeah, no Brawl 'til 2008, no Metroid 'till october, Paper Mario comes here in september (still!), and we don't even have a date for Galaxy. And to show for it, we have... a Tingle rupee-collecting game. Excuse me while I start destroying nearby objects in a fit of rage.

Ye gods, I hate you, Nintendo Europe. I mean, why the hell do you need to lose the Christmas campaign for such a bestselling title as Brawl? Because of that difficult English-to-English translation maybe? Or because of that transition to PAL that would probably take a few days at most? (it's probably mere hours). Ohhh, I know, it must be because you can't find a distributor for the best-****ing-selling title in the console! :mad:

Seriously, forgive the language, but I am kinda angry right now.

Sigh... anyway, I hope you people keep me informed when you get Brawl, if you don't mind. It's good to know at least some people I know will be playing the thing over Christmas.

Elysium

Smash Lord
Did anyone else notice in the sample video on the DOJO site that when Fox jumped and was in the Firefox animation, his gun wasn't out. Didn't they say that his gun wasn't going to be holstered? Maybe it goes away for some moves....

Anyway, I'm kinda indifferent to the whole Sheik debate. I do think that if (s)he does return, it wont be as a transformation, but as a separate character. My opinion is that if they do put sheik in then the moveset will be nerfed, resulting in a not so played character. Though I'm sure that there are some people out there that will play regardless.

I would rather Falco return, as opposed to Wolf. Just not as clone-ish. My reasoning for that is that I don't like the idea of Wolf being another clone. We already have one, why ditch one for another? But you never know, perhaps if Pokemon can get 4 representatives, why can't SF?

I kinda want Marth to return, but I'm not sure if they'll nerf him if he does come back. So maybe a new, better FE representative will be the better choice. Who knows.

When I read the idea of ditching Pichu for another joke character, for some reason my mind went towards Toad. I really can't think of an interesting moveset, but the idea of Toad beating down some powerhouse like Giga Bowser is pretty funny.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Yep, I see him. All 1.3 seconds of him...
Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that my second favorite character has been confirmed, I'm just waiting until we see more of his new look before gushing about how awesome DK is.
I totally agree. I just saw the update myself, and I must say that he looks way more appealing this time around. We'll have to see his moveset/Final Smash before passing judgement, though.

Well said sir. If Sheik were low tier, I doubt we would even be having this discussion.
No kidding. :p

Oh boy, be ready for a bit of a speech here.

Out of all of the characters in the game, Mallow demonstrates the most character development. He evolves from a whiny, self-pitying sissy into a confident, strong individual; however, he doesn't possess the significance to the story that Geno or (dare I say) Mario does.

Mario's only real purpose in the game is to bring the characters together, and that's it. He doesn't exemplify any true development at all, but he's important to the game because without him you'd have no Bowser or Peach (or Toad, Yoshi, Goombas, etc.).

Now, Geno is an entirely different matter. He was sent down to Mario's world with a mission, and this mission happens to encompass the entirety of the game (from the point where he joins your party), repairing the Star Road. So, in a sense, although you are controlling Mario throughout the course of the game, your main objective is ultimately to help Geno get things back in order (um, Midna, anyone?). Though I will admit that he demonstrates very little character development, he does offer enough considerring he's a walking, talking, asskicking doll. The only definate example I can think of at this time is that as you progress through the story, you find that he actually cares about what happens to the people in Mario's world, despite him having no prior connection to them. This alone is enough to say that he shows more character than others like Mario and Bowser (though Bowser does have his moments). Combine this with his overall curiosity (he knows very little about Mario's World and its inhabitants) and he proves to be an extremely likable character.

Plus, he shoots stuff out of his fingers! I mean, come on!

Notice how Reggie says that we will learn much more in the coming days and weeks? My guess is that Nintendo is once again holding a separate event for a new Brawl trailer.

At least I hope that's the case... dang you Sakurai for toying with us constantly!
A new trailer would be ideal at this point, revealing a few returning characters and newcomers. Actually, now that they are released, I wouldn't be suprised to see some AT characters shown off in the upcoming trailers also.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
When I read the idea of ditching Pichu for another joke character, for some reason my mind went towards Toad. I really can't think of an interesting moveset, but the idea of Toad beating down some powerhouse like Giga Bowser is pretty funny.

You know, as unappealing as this originally sounds to me, I might even live with it for two reasons:
1) Get rid of Pichu! A waste of a character, clone or otherwise.
2) Bring in Toad! I dunno if I could live with him as a joke character, though. Toad really does have fighting potential.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
You're a Yoshi! >_>

Anywho, I've contemplated the idea of Toad being in Smash before. Not opposed to it, but I'm not supportive of it either. Toad has gotten annoying after Mario 64. His voice is just... eh. That's just my opinion, sorry Toad lovers. ;) I loved him back in the old school days. SMB3 FTW.

But you know who I'd love to see as an assist trophy(s). The Koopa Kids. @#$%. Yeah.

And yes, I concur. I need me some F-zero action. Though I never beat F-zero cube. >_> Game is hard as hell.

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
wow you explaining super mario rpg really takes me back

i for one agree with all you have said about characsters and significance

but cmon give mario and bowser more credit they had the funniest moments in the game:)

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Apparently FE10 was mentioned somewhere, and apparently it's coming out Nov 5 for America. And here I was thinking they had forgotten about it completely.

That also means it is actually coming about before Brawl for you guys, though just barely.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Edit: DRAT! I wrote replies for evertone preceeding Copper, and then forgot to post them! They are gone now... I apologize. Here I've been sitting here, thinking I'd gotten to everyone and now I have to go. I apologize for my stupidity. I have to go now....

Oh boy, be ready for a bit of a speech here.

Out of all of the characters in the game, Mallow demonstrates the most character development. He evolves from a whiny, self-pitying sissy into a confident, strong individual; however, he doesn't possess the significance to the story that Geno or (dare I say) Mario does.

Mario's only real purpose in the game is to bring the characters together, and that's it. He doesn't exemplify any true development at all, but he's important to the game because without him you'd have no Bowser or Peach (or Toad, Yoshi, Goombas, etc.).

Now, Geno is an entirely different matter. He was sent down to Mario's world with a mission, and this mission happens to encompass the entirety of the game (from the point where he joins your party), repairing the Star Road. So, in a sense, although you are controlling Mario throughout the course of the game, your main objective is ultimately to help Geno get things back in order (um, Midna, anyone?). Though I will admit that he demonstrates very little character development, he does offer enough considerring he's a walking, talking, asskicking doll. The only definate example I can think of at this time is that as you progress through the story, you find that he actually cares about what happens to the people in Mario's world, despite him having no prior connection to them. This alone is enough to say that he shows more character than others like Mario and Bowser (though Bowser does have his moments). Combine this with his overall curiosity (he knows very little about Mario's World and its inhabitants) and he proves to be an extremely likable character.

Plus, he shoots stuff out of his fingers! I mean, come on!
Interesting. Different people seem to have lightly nuanced views as to where Geno fits in with SMRPG's story. I have to say, this game sounds pretty compelling. Where' our VC release, Nintendo?

A new trailer would be ideal at this point, revealing a few returning characters and newcomers. Actually, now that they are released, I wouldn't be suprised to see some AT characters shown off in the upcoming trailers also.
I remeber last E3 watching Nintendo's press Conferance feeling pretty bummed about Nintendo in general by the lack of Smash Bros - only to get super syched the following day with the Brawl trailer. I think most the naysayers who say Nintendo has a poor showing at theri conferance (something I STRONGLY disagree with) would sing a different tune if they pulled another stunning Brawl trailer out of the hat. Then again, Sakurai sounds in his recent update like he's too busy finishing the game...

Edit: Wow. falied to notice an entire new page of posts...

@ SR93: Your dreaming. No way Yoshi is returning.

@ Numa: I'm disappointed, but not surprised. It's not looking good for the franchise at the moment, I'm afraid...

@ Luke: FE 10 is going to be awesome and I'm glad to hear we've finally got a release date to look forward to.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
They said there where 100 games in development for the Wii so there could be one but we don't know yet. Hopefully they'll reveal one later today or tommorow.
I hope so, but something tells me that if there were another Nintendo franchise title to announce, we would have heard of it by now. If they do have one in the works, it's probably still early in development. The absense of Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing Wii was also not lost on me...

Numa Dude

Smash Lord
I hope so, but something tells me that if there were another Nintendo franchise title to announce, we would have heard of it by now. If they do have one in the works, it's probably still early in development. The absense of Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing Wii was also not lost on me...
You know Nintendo, they always have to be secretive and surprising with their games. I wouldn't be shocked if they announced a huge game later today.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
Okay, but even by this standard isn't worthiness a factor as well? Shouldn't a character be judged primarily on their imporance in videogames first and foremost? Should Hammer
Bros and Mario be judged as equal contenders for a spot on the roster because they have
an equal potentil for a fun and unique moveset?
Well, no. By what I'm calling the practical viewpoint of things, worthiness isn't a factor. Worthiness, or for that matter anything you'd need prior knowledge of a series to know, is all part of what I call the romantic approach to things. The romantic thinking is what got Marth chosen as the first FE character, because he was the first Lord and that has romantic appeal. Practical thinking is what got characters like Bowser sized down, and what took away the constant rapid-fire abilities of Samus; changes like these go against series canon, but allow the game to be playable.
All I mean is that Sheik has no practical reason to be cut. If you ignore worthiness and all that jazz, then Sheik is just an over-powered character in need of some nerfing, and nothing more. Just something to keep in mind.

Any way you look at it, including Sheik would be at the expense of a more worthy Zelda
representative. Midna was the main character in most recent Zelda game: Twilight Princess (a game that Sakurai seems the most favorable towards) Tingle is most reacurring character in the series aside from the Triforce Trio and even Vaati and Skull Kid have some importance. Sheik, on the other hand, is only the alter ego to a supporting character in a single game that was released ten years ago. Since programing a unique moveset (even one from Melee) is a time consuming process and ANY character has an equal potential for a unique moveset, why should this character be given special attanetion at the expense of Midna, Tingle, Vaati or Skull Kid?
I'll get to this a little later....

Whether or not not you like it, the fact of the matter is that there are separate Zeldas and separate Links. Sure, the series as a whole is pretty convuluted and repetitive (I've found that trying to tie together the LoZ>Zelda 2, the ALttP>LA, OoA/OoS and the MC>FS>FSA story lines to be an excersive in futility) however the main series, which gravitiates around OoT, is pretty straightforward.

OoT has two endings, one where Old Link kills Ganon in the future and another that was created when Zelda sends Link back in time to where they first met as children. In the Future timeline, Ganon is selled away setting the stage for the events in WW and it's upcoming sequel: Phantom Hourglass. In the Past timeline, the events of MM immediately follow the ending of OoT, while Ganondorf (who never achieved world domination) is imprisoned in the Twili Relm by the Seven Sages - as depicted in Twilight Princess.

Thus, the main series does have separate Zeldas and Links, it does have a fixed timeline, the story arch has no big holes in it and all the plots in each game are actually not very similar at all.
Let me ask you this? Is there more than one Hyrule? The land, I mean. I'm assuming you'd probably say no, every Zelda game that takes place in Hyrule takes place in the same land of Hyrule.
Except that it can't. Why, in just the supposed decades between Oot and TP you've got new mountain ranges, the sudden appearance of some bottomless canyons (complete with bridges), and the Temple of Time somehow moved itself out of Hyrule castle town and into the forest in the south. Also, you have a brand-spanking new set of ancient ruins. I don't know how it does it, but the land of Hyrule seems to get new ancient ruins every time I look at it. There's more, but you get the point.
Which is that despite undergoing changes far more advanced that the characters who populate it undergo, Hyrule is still Hyrule, and nobody bats an eye at the changes.
But why such major differences? Personaly, I believe it's because each Zelda game is made with little concern for the particulars of the one before it. Each Zelda game has recurring elements, and similar themes, but aside from that things seem pretty loose.
I'd say that the Zelda series was never meant to be part of a cohesive whole the way the Starfox series or Metroid series was. It's all basically an infinite re-telling of the same story, and the weakness of the timeline at explaining some very large inconstancies (where do all those Zoras and Gorons go?) is a reflection of that.

Did you catch that? "This particular Link." That wording implies that this Link based on a specific character. Meaning, one of many. So it's safe to assume that sakurai doesn't see the series as one story repeating, with the same Link depicted in different ways, but as a series of different stories with a different Link and a different Zelda.
I believe someone already mentioned this, but the actual quote is "The design of this particular Link", which means far less than you infer. Sakurai is talking about the design of Link, not the character. And as for the wording, Sakurai could easily say something like: 'this particular Fox has a less fox-like head than the one in Melee' without sounding strange or implying that each Starfox game has it's own Fox.

By the way, Zelda's hair in Twilight Princess is Brown - just like her appearance in Brawl. Further proof that the Zelda in Brawl is the character from Twilight Princess - a separate individual entirely from the Zelda/Sheik in OoT.
Oops, you got me there. But hair color doesn't prove she's the same person, just that her design came from the same game that Link's did.

So, the fact that Sheik is the same person as Zelda makes her worthy of being included over Midna, who was the main character in Twilight Princess? If that is the case, why is Sheik any more worthy than Tetra - another one of Zelda's alter egos?

It doesn't matter how you slice it. Practically, romantically, scientifically, hypothetically, mathematically, physiologically, metaphysically, hyperbole, baloney... Sheik is unworthy of returning of appearing in another instalment of Smash Bros.
Okay. Tetra is out because she's done in a different graphical style. I don't mean the cell-shading, I mean the artistic direction. Basic proportions, design aesthetic, that kind of thing. Tetra would require her very own Zelda model. I suppose she could be redone in the TP style, but that would just take too much effort to bridge the gap, in my opinion.

And yes, Sheik's connection to (being) Zelda gets her priority over someone like Midna.
Because, like it or not, Midna will one day stop being the 'new' Zelda character. Like many before her, she will be replaced by other characters, and her only connection to the series will be as a cool character in an older game. Sheik, on the other hand, is that cool thing Zelda did once. She's a rare ability, which is how I think of her. True, she's an ability that takes quite a bit more effort to program than another random move, but if the result in the end is a character that people like to play as then I'd say the extra effort is all worth it.
On that note, I do think you underestimate Sheik's popularity a little. It's true that she gets played as more than her fair share because she's a top-tier character, and it's also probably true that she wouldn't be played much at all if she was bottom-tier. But don't honestly tell me you believe that ALL of her popularity is due to her top-tier status? Plenty of people would still play her if she was middle tier, after all, she is a ninja. People like ninjas.

Sheik should not be included in any shape or form, in my view. I'm even opposed to the abomination appearing as an Assist Trophy. Sorry, but any good will good will I may have felt towards the character has evaporated over these past years. DEAH TO SHEIK!
Did Sheik bite you as a child? I'm sensing anger. I kid, I kid.
It's not that I'm crazy about Sheik (I don't even play as her, and her I am going to all this trouble....), but I AM big on keeping what I already have. And what we all already have is Sheik as a playable character. Now, I know some characters are going to be cut, but if cut they must be, then I submit to you that we have better choices than an original and popular character from Melee. We barley have any transformation characters as it is, why go getting rid of them?

Besides, if Zamus replaces Sheik (likely if she gets cut), then what have we solved? We still have Sheik, we just call her something different. Wouldn't we all be better served if Sheik remained AND Zamus was an original character?

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Well, no. By what I'm calling the practical viewpoint of things, worthiness isn't a factor. Worthiness, or for that matter anything you'd need prior knowledge of a series to know, is all part of what I call the romantic approach to things. The romantic thinking is what got Marth chosen as the first FE character, because he was the first Lord and that has romantic appeal. Practical thinking is what got characters like Bowser sized down, and what took away the constant rapid-fire abilities of Samus; changes like these go against series canon, but allow the game to be playable.
All I mean is that Sheik has no practical reason to be cut. If you ignore worthiness and all that jazz, then Sheik is just an over-powered character in need of some nerfing, and nothing more. Just something to keep in mind.
If you set aside that Sheik is an utterly irrelivant character in her series of origin that wholey is unworthy of the time consuming process of designing a new moveset, and synching a rebalanced moveset - then yeah there is no practical reason not to include he/she/it/potatoe. And if pigs had wings, they could fly.

Let me ask you this? Is there more than one Hyrule? The land, I mean. I'm assuming you'd probably say no, every Zelda game that takes place in Hyrule takes place in the same land of Hyrule.
Except that it can't. Why, in just the supposed decades between Oot and TP you've got new mountain ranges, the sudden appearance of some bottomless canyons (complete with bridges), and the Temple of Time somehow moved itself out of Hyrule castle town and into the forest in the south. Also, you have a brand-spanking new set of ancient ruins. I don't know how it does it, but the land of Hyrule seems to get new ancient ruins every time I look at it. There's more, but you get the point.
Despite the obvious fact that a flawed timeline can exist and still be an intrinsic part of the series (you have seen the Star Wars prequels, right?) there are still ways around the changing land formations. The first is that hundreds, perhaps thousands of years could have passed between each game so floads, earthquakes and the like could have changed the face of Hyrule dramatically. Towns and buildings are torn down and rebuilt. Forrests grow and wither away.

Which is that despite undergoing changes far more advanced that the characters who populate it undergo, Hyrule is still Hyrule, and nobody bats an eye at the changes.
But why such major differences? Personaly, I believe it's because each Zelda game is made with little concern for the particulars of the one before it. Each Zelda game has recurring elements, and similar themes, but aside from that things seem pretty loose.
I'd say that the Zelda series was never meant to be part of a cohesive whole the way the Starfox series or Metroid series was. It's all basically an infinite re-telling of the same story, and the weakness of the timeline at explaining some very large inconstancies (where do all those Zoras and Gorons go?) is a reflection of that.
You can be free to interpret the series as you wish, but it's awefully hard to ignore how neatly Twilight Princess ties into the conclusion on Majora's Mask (where Link is sent back in time following ooT to live his childhood) as it expalins how Ganondorf was captured before he could achieve world domination. You've also overlooked the numerous referances to "the Hero of Time" in Windwaker, which follows the Future Timeline of OoT. Not all the games fit together, but the console games do.

In Windwaker, the Gorons appeared as the traders on various islands and it is strongly implied that the Zora became the Rito Bird people following the flood. The other OoT sequel, Twilight Princess, the Gorons and Zora never left.

I believe someone already mentioned this, but the actual quote is "The design of this particular Link", which means far less than you infer. Sakurai is talking about the design of Link, not the character. And as for the wording, Sakurai could easily say something like: 'this particular Fox has a less fox-like head than the one in Melee' without sounding strange or implying that each Starfox game has it's own Fox.
My point was only that the wording shows that Sakurai at least differentiaites between one Link and another. He could have said "Link's new look is from his latest appearance in Twilight Princess" or something along those lines. It's nothing conclusive, but I think it is relivant.

Oops, you got me there. But hair color doesn't prove she's the same person, just that her design came from the same game that Link's did.
Again, it doesn't prove anything for certain, but suggestive of a new emphasis on Twilight Princess which does not bode well for Sheik.

Okay. Tetra is out because she's done in a different graphical style. I don't mean the cell-shading, I mean the artistic direction. Basic proportions, design aesthetic, that kind of thing. Tetra would require her very own Zelda model. I suppose she could be redone in the TP style, but that would just take too much effort to bridge the gap, in my opinion.

And yes, Sheik's connection to (being) Zelda gets her priority over someone like Midna.
Because, like it or not, Midna will one day stop being the 'new' Zelda character. Like many before her, she will be replaced by other characters, and her only connection to the series will be as a cool character in an older game. Sheik, on the other hand, is that cool thing Zelda did once. She's a rare ability, which is how I think of her. True, she's an ability that takes quite a bit more effort to program than another random move, but if the result in the end is a character that people like to play as then I'd say the extra effort is all worth it.
On that note, I do think you underestimate Sheik's popularity a little. It's true that she gets played as more than her fair share because she's a top-tier character, and it's also probably true that she wouldn't be played much at all if she was bottom-tier. But don't honestly tell me you believe that ALL of her popularity is due to her top-tier status? Plenty of people would still play her if she was middle tier, after all, she is a ninja. People like ninjas.
I guess we'll have to agree to diagree then. Zelda is important to the series, but she is not so important that Brawl needs two Zeldas (each with a unique moveset) before the main hero in Twilight Princess, Midna, gets her due.

And yes, I do believe that just about all of Sheik's popularity can be atributed to her hightier status. If Zelda were the more powerful of the two, I'm guessing that almost noone would bother using her.

Saying that you play as Sheik because you like the character is like saying you read Playboy for the interesting articles. You might be telling the truth, but you'll forgive me if I express my skepticism.

Did Sheik bite you as a child? I'm sensing anger. I kid, I kid.
It's not that I'm crazy about Sheik (I don't even play as her, and her I am going to all this trouble....), but I AM big on keeping what I already have. And what we all already have is Sheik as a playable character. Now, I know some characters are going to be cut, but if cut they must be, then I submit to you that we have better choices than an original and popular character from Melee. We barley have any transformation characters as it is, why go getting rid of them?

Besides, if Zamus replaces Sheik (likely if she gets cut), then what have we solved? We still have Sheik, we just call her something different. Wouldn't we all be better served if Sheik remained AND Zamus was an original character?
The originality and popularity of Sheik in Melee are irrelivant, plain and simple. The popularity of a Smash character is dependent entirely on how powerful they are, so by that standard Sheik deserves to be included more than Donkey Kong. ANY character can be popular once the game is released, so all that ammaters is their popularity outside of Smash.

As for originality, Zamus' inclusion eliminates that. I would prefer we have no transformations, but Sakurai was very clear: Zamus is not a pure character addition, but a transformation. The reality is that Sheik brings nothing irreplaceable to the roster, which combined with his/her'its/potatoe's irrelivance outside melee, means that Sheik will almost definitely be cut.

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
Not trying to take sides here, but one of Wiseguy's points is that "Shiek is just an alter ego of one supporting character in one Zelda game", where the game he references, of course, is Ocarina of Time. OoT wasn't just "one Zelda game", it was perhaps the defining game in the entire series, and in the opinion of many, perhaps the greatest game of all time, not just the series itself. Whenever someone thinks the LoZ series, I'd bet that OoT is the first thing that comes to mind for most people. While in my personal opinion, TP is better, it's just the facts that show that OoT isn't just any Zelda game.
GameRankings.com (a site that compiles reviews and ranks games based on average review scores from many sources) shows OoT as being the #1 game of all time. Granted, it counts ports as separate games, but OoT still towers over every other game's average score (97.7% versus the #2 game's 96.4% (the original Soul Calibur)).
Personally, I hate Shiek like you do, Wiseguy, but OoT's status as a classic has to be taken into account. And Shiek also has sentimental value, as well. When I first played through OoT, I never saw Zelda's transformation coming. It was the biggest plot twist I ever knew back then. Granted I was a kid, but still, the reminders of those golden days are still present.
Link: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

DonkeySmasher

Smash Ace
what is the next big event (reggie said ...., etc)

E4 or are they doing an event just for smash, maybe nintendo world, who knows

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
I just found this thread and it is pretty cool. I just highly disagree with you on Tingle. You, as well as many other people know I backed Tingle up for a good chance in Brawl. HE HAS A CHANCE! At least you put possible. Am I the only Tingle fan on this whole site?! I made the guy a moveset before! Why does no one like him? HMS is cool as well. Tingle has as much of a chance as Marth(just about). They are both very popular in Japan and believe it(no or nots), Tingle is getting popular here as well...just very slowly. Marths main edge is only that he was in Melee as a playable character. Tingle was an enviroment showing they did think of him. I'm just saying that you people criticize him too much. He is not that bad.

Anyways, TGS and E for All are the next big events.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Not trying to take sides here, but one of Wiseguy's points is that "Shiek is just an alter ego of one supporting character in one Zelda game", where the game he references, of course, is Ocarina of Time. OoT wasn't just "one Zelda game", it was perhaps the defining game in the entire series, and in the opinion of many, perhaps the greatest game of all time, not just the series itself. Whenever someone thinks the LoZ series, I'd bet that OoT is the first thing that comes to mind for most people. While in my personal opinion, TP is better, it's just the facts that show that OoT isn't just any Zelda game.
GameRankings.com (a site that compiles reviews and ranks games based on average review scores from many sources) shows OoT as being the #1 game of all time. Granted, it counts ports as separate games, but OoT still towers over every other game's average score (97.7% versus the #2 game's 96.4% (the original Soul Calibur)).
Personally, I hate Shiek like you do, Wiseguy, but OoT's status as a classic has to be taken into account. And Shiek also has sentimental value, as well. When I first played through OoT, I never saw Zelda's transformation coming. It was the biggest plot twist I ever knew back then. Granted I was a kid, but still, the reminders of those golden days are still present.
Link: http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp
The reason why this is even an arguement is because of the whole "every Link and Zelda are different" principle.

No one looks at Mario and says, "Hey, this particular Mario model is derived from Super Mario Bros 3." They say, "Hey, it's Mario." That sort of comparison doesn't transition well over to Zelda, because her character varies from game to game. In Windwaker, half of her personality is a pirate. In Ocarina, it's a ninja. The character doesn't stay consistent enough to dictate a constant moveset. One could argue that the rest of her specials should apply to this as well, but Farore, Nayru, and Din were the three Goddesses that created Hyrule, and as such, possess some significance regardless of what game (or Princess Zelda) you're talking about. Sheik does not.

Getting back to your post, Lord, I also don't think the inclusion of Sheik is necessary as far as Brawl is concerned, even for reminiscent purposes. You want to leave her in to pay tribute to Ocarina, the "greatest Zelda of all time", but isn't that something she already did in Melee?

Besides, that argument holds some water in and of itself. Shiek is a character in Ocarina that people want to transition over to the TP style. Well, conversely, one could argue that Link, Zelda and (eventually) Ganondorf will be paying tribute to Ocarina also, only in a different art style.

But . . . but wait. That Link is from the Twilight Princess! That's a different Link altogether! He wasn't even in Ocarina!

Well, Sheik wasn't in Twilight Princess. Enough said.

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
Actually, I'd prefer that she weren't in the game. I'm just trying to think of what the majority might think, because the majority of core gamers, like I said, find OoT to be the better Zelda game, just because of what it did for the series. Then again, there's the completely different group of people who just got the Wii and experienced Zelda for the first time on it, who would go "WTF?" if Shiek were to be a transformation of Zelda. I'm just thinking of ways that the public might think of when they see Shiek. Just trying to take all the facts into account, y'know?
I don't think the idea of being canon with the series is particularly important, other than the reason stated above where the people who were introduced to Zelda with the Wii would be confused. There's a whole
But wasn't the idea behind SSB's creation in the first place that you could take video game characters from games you recognize and battle them against other game characters from respected franchises? In that respect, you'd want to represent the franchise as a whole, from its inception to its newer releases. That's why I'd think that Young Link will be cartoon-y, just to cover more ground in the Zelda series.
That didn't really counter what you said, but I'm just trying to bring up more ideas that can help/hinder the chances of Shiek getting in.
I hope all that made sense, I've been sitting in my basement for too long and I think I'm losing it. :dizzy:

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
If you set aside that Sheik is an utterly irrelivant character in her series of origin that wholey is unworthy of the time consuming process of designing a new moveset, and synching a rebalanced moveset - then yeah there is no practical reason not to include he/she/it/potatoe. And if pigs had wings, they could fly.
Hey that's unfair. Characters like Dr. Mario deserve to be cut because they fail both the practical and romantic test. Dr. Mario is both redundant as a clone with very few differences from the original AND he's unworthy because he's little more than Mario in a costume. Sheik may be just Zelda in a costume, but in terms of gameplay she's guilty of no crime worth cutting her for. That's important to note when debating for her total destruction, hm?

Despite the obvious fact that a flawed timeline can exist and still be an intrinsic part of the series (you have seen the Star Wars prequels, right?) there are still ways around the changing land formations. The first is that hundreds, perhaps thousands of years could have passed between each game so floads, earthquakes and the like could have changed the face of Hyrule dramatically. Towns and buildings are torn down and rebuilt. Forrests grow and wither away.
Yeah, but the Star Wars prequels suck. And TP is supposedly set just a few decades after Oot. I know they've got a volcano nearby, but even taking that into account I'd say brand new mountains is pushing it, wouldn't you? Anyway, like I said, I think the game is made first, and then fit into the timeline to please the continuity fans.
But whatever, I don't think either of us is going to convince the other on this anytime soon, so I'll move on to something else. Agreed?

I guess we'll have to agree to diagree then. Zelda is important to the series, but she is not so important that Brawl needs two Zeldas (each with a unique moveset) before the main hero in Twilight Princess, Midna, gets her due.
Important? She's the titular character.
And if we're getting into other worthy characters, Midna is beaten by Vaati for importance (as the only other recurring villan in the series) and by freakin' TINGLE in terms of appearances. Don't get me wrong, I loved Midna, but was she really that important to tthe series as a whole?

And yes, I do believe that just about all of Sheik's popularity can be atributed to her hightier status. If Zelda were the more powerful of the two, I'm guessing that almost noone would bother using her.

Saying that you play as Sheik because you like the character is like saying you read Playboy for the interesting articles. You might be telling the truth, but you'll forgive me if I express my skepticism.

The originality and popularity of Sheik in Melee are irrelivant, plain and simple. The popularity of a Smash character is dependent entirely on how powerful they are, so by that standard Sheik deserves to be included more than Donkey Kong. ANY character can be popular once the game is released, so all that ammaters is their popularity outside of Smash.
Really? You've never played a character in smash bros just because you liked the character? It's always because they'll give you some kinda tactical advantage?

I can't believe that. I sure know I've spent a great deal of time struggling to make Bowser work for me (somebody's got to keep the magic alive!), and I've always assumed that most people eventually tend to fall into that pattern.
And is it really unlikely that someone would want to try playing as Sheik? As I've said before: she's a ninja. Ninjas are popular. I think it more likely that people saw Sheik, tried her, started winning and then went from there. By the time they were into smash enough to discover that she was top tier, it was too late.

As for originality, Zamus' inclusion eliminates that. I would prefer we have no transformations, but Sakurai was very clear: Zamus is not a pure character addition, but a transformation. The reality is that Sheik brings nothing irreplaceable to the roster, which combined with his/her'its/potatoe's irrelivance outside melee, means that Sheik will almost definitely be cut.
Frankly, I agree with you that Sheik isn't much outside of smash bros. And if she wasn't already a character, I'd be with you. But as I've mentioned earlier, I'm too much of a pack rat to give away a perfectly good character once they've already made it into the roster.
What will cutting Sheik solve? Zelda may get another move (assuming they handle transformations the same in Brawl as they do in Melee), but if Zamus really is enough like Sheik to replace her, what has been acomplished? Sheik attached to a new character and under a new name? Big whoop.
Personaly, I'd prefer a unique Zamus over Zamus as a Sheik replacement, and an entire character over one new move for Zelda

jimmysilverrims

Smash Ace
Attatched to a bungie cord, reppelling into Ninten
Listen, I can list to you the reasons we want Sheik out:

1. Two transformations is a little much, I never really liked the transformation idea and felt it didn't fit in with the game

2. We have the whole Twilight Princess theme and Shiek doesn't fit the bill

3. Shiek was a passing character, she taught a few songs, told you where to go and poofed away, did she fight? No. Did Midna fight as an actual sidekide-like secondary character? Yes. Which brings me to number...

4. Other characters deserve the spot more. If it means getting rid of Shiek (One of my mains) to get Midna, then so be it. I'm not the first to say this but if you want new, cool characters you need to get rid of the less worthy. That's the reason people want to give Shiek the boot. We just want other people more. If I could I'd love to have every character back in (Not you Pichu. You can go die.) but the sad truth is we an't, so if they need to gut out Shiek to put in Midna or Wolf Link, so be it.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Oh I didn't read the other pages but all of this is about Sheik...again! Please don't go into the Midna, Vaati, Tingle, Happy Mask Salesman, Skull Kid discussion again. Me(Tingles side), Numa, Wiseguy, LukeFon, Stryks and whoever discussed that to death. We covered everything. And why does everyone hate Tingle?! I just want a reason besides 'he's gay' or 'he's ugly' or anything like that.
Anyways to the Sheik stuff, It looks like Brawl will be TP for Zelda so I don't think so.
-She is a 10 year old character that occured in no other game
-There are other deserving characters. I am sure a few people know here that I don't want Midna for Brawl(she's okay but don't want her in)and I'd rather her than Sheik.
-everything has been said about both sides so I ain't preeching on with this.

Top Bottom