• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

Deku_Don

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much agree with OP, the only one I'm not sure about it Lucario. With Mewtwo back in the limelight it'll be interesting to see what they do.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
also, I was wondering if anyone had a source if weather or not sakurai said that:
A) not all characters from smash bros are returning

or..

B) not all characters from BRAWL are returning
..cuz like, theres a major difference there, ya know?
Morbid already stated this, but it was the first.

Therefore the cuts could range from just Young Link, Pichu & Young Link, All the Melee cut vets(bar Mewtwo, I can't see him NOT returning at this point) or as many are guessing it means Ike, Wolf, Lucas, Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, etc are in possible danger...

But seeing as how Toon Link of all characters survived the chopping block...well it bodes well for the Brawl Roster. A lot of the Japanese fans Chrono polled all loved Brawl's roster and said it would be perfect if two of the cut vets returned:
:mewtwopm: and :roypm:

They'd love Project M.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Lucario, Lucas, Snake, Rob , and Ike are my predicted cuts :crying: but I think Ike will be swapped for more recent protagonist from the series (chrom? ), Mewtwo swapped with Lucario. Also wouldn't be surprised if PT's pokemon changed but also could see it staying the same as brawls. I would like to think Sheik is gone but I just got a feeling they were lazy with Zelda and just updated her look slightly but otherwise same but her power is definitely changed around.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
The only one I pretty much think will be getting cut is Snake. Lucario, Ike, Lucas, and Wolf to a way lesser extent. Honestly I hope no one gets cut. Though, I won't be sad to see Snake go. I hate the idea of 3rd parties in Smash. I didn't really get excited for Sonic or Mega Man, so.

The only one I pretty much think will be getting cut is Snake. Lucario, Ike, Lucas, and Wolf to a way lesser extent. Honestly I hope no one gets cut. Though, I won't be sad to see Snake go. I hate the idea of 3rd parties in Smash. I didn't really get excited for Sonic or Mega Man, so.
Honestly, the only character that I didn't mind was Snake. If he was the only 3rd party candidate available it would have made much more sense. Other than him everyone else can pretty much go else ware. I get the history and all but the "Nintendo All Stars" theme was thrown out the window a long time ago.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
I think the only reasonable cut is Snake. I wish he had more reason to stay but it's just not the case.

The rest of the roster is just ... i don't know, like you're replacing a family member. Hate to see anyone cut.

I can't really pick a close second to Snake, because everyone is important. Who knows, it could be an oddball like Ice Climbers or G&W. Even saying those two are gone would be upsetting, it's like I said - replacing a family.

For Smash 5 I really wonder what's going to happen. Far less Newcomers or getting rid of vets ? #SadFuture

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I really don't want Snake to go, he was very interesting :c

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
I think the only real certainty is the original 12 will all return, including Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon. They're both fan favorites from even just this game. I do really wish they'd make F-Zero UX or something that's probably not happening soon...

If I did have to make one single guess, I'd say Lucario. I don't have anything against the Pokemon at all, he's cool, but I have a feeling that Mewtwo has a really good chance of making a return mostly because as of late he's been rather relevant again, having a dual Mega Evolution for X and Y respectively, and even being the center of one of the more recent movies I believe. Lucario has a ton of differences from Mewtwo of course, enough to justify him as a distinct character; but his overall moveset does still have I think an undeniable root in Mewtwos' so if I had to choose any one character it'd probably be him. It's just a guess though, for all I know they could still leave Mewtwo out, or maybe even have them both. I'm fairly confident they won't leave both of them out at least.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
I think the only real certainty is the original 12 will all return, including Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon. They're both fan favorites from even just this game. I do really wish they'd make F-Zero UX or something that's probably not happening soon...
Captain Falcon meant pretty much nothing but character artwork in the first two F-zero games. Then he was put in Smash and everyone who has a soul fell in love with him. I would kill for an F-Zero UX... GX was one of my favorite games of all time, I still can't believe I completed that game. My god it was hard.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I think the only ones in danger of getting cut are Snake, Lucario (i'd like to see him return though), Wolf, and Jigglypuff (only because she was almost cut in Brawl). Im somewhat confident Ike will return with his Radiant Dawn look. Also, as much as i don't want to see him return, i think R.O.B. will come back only because of how incredibly unique his moveset was. It'd be a shame to see someone that unique be cut.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I would not be surprised if snake gets cut. But to those who say "MGS has littte history on nintendo platforms", let me give you a list of MGS games that are on Nintendo platforms

1.Metal Gear(NES)
2.Snake's revenge(NES)
3.Metal Gear Solid:Ghost Babel(GBC)
4.Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes(GCN)
5.Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater(3ds) [and this one was released this gen on a nintendo platform]
6.Metal gear 2:Solid Snake(Virtual Console)
7.Metal Gear [MSX version](Virtual Console

potential we could be getting:
1.Metal Gear Solid V
2.Metal Gear Rising(doubt it, pc recently got it, so there is a slight chance)
3.Metal Gear Solid HD Collection(I doubt it though.

Now after Brawl though a lot of games in the franchise came out and it expanded the franchise.
I don't know if there will be a future for MGS on nintendo platforms, there seems to be something going between nintendo and konami. Lots of their games seem to be skipping nintendo platforms. I hope that snake does not get included without getting MGS V on wii u (or a different exclusive MGS game). What would be cool though is that in an upcoming direct,they announce MGS V for Wii U and Snake in Smash 4. But like I said before I would not be surprised if he gets cut, but I hope he makes it in though.

Captain Falcon meant pretty much nothing but character artwork in the first two F-zero games. Then he was put in Smash and everyone who has a soul fell in love with him. I would kill for an F-Zero UX... GX was one of my favorite games of all time, I still can't believe I completed that game. My god it was hard.
F-Zero was my obsession when I was a kid, and it still is now. When F-Zero GX came out I was in awe. I spent so much time playing the game in kiosks at Best Buy and Game Stop. Just when I thought nothing would too F-Zero X.

Yeah man, F-Zero GX is like the Dark Souls of racing games. Unlocking the Rainbow Phoenix was harder than a Tyrannosaurus' ****.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I played the hell out of F-Zero GX. I unlocked 8 of then 10 secret characters.

Christ that game was difficult.

And damn is it awesome.

An F-Zero GX sequel has to happen. With Nintendo and Sega being so tight these days I feel like they can collaborate and make another; hell I would take an F-Zero GX HD remake with online play. Could you imagine the graphics? Holy **** man...

Hong

The Strongest
I am surprised they won't even give it an HD rerelease. The game was already beautiful for its time. I don't mind popping it into my 'cube from time to time, though at the very least they could throw it onto the Wii U store.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I hate to say it, but I'm sure Lucas is going to get cut. He's my main, and I'll hate it. He doesn't deserve to leave, but something tells me he's getting the axe.

I always thought of Snake as a Brawl exclusive, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut, and since the graphic style of this game isn't as gritty and "realistic" as Brawl's, I don't really see how he will fit in.

I wouldn't like it if Wolf gets cut, because I like him as a character, but not as a fighter. No more clones or semi-clones, please (this is contradictory, given my main is a semi-clone... D: )

Pokémon Trainer is a weird character and never really convinced me, so if he gets cut I won't mind. The same goes for Jigglypuff. She was included in Smash 64 because she was popular at the time because of the anime, but since she doesn't appear in that awful show anymore, I don't see why she's still there. Ah, and Lucario was an awful choice. He was put in to promote his movie, but he lacks charisma and is not a very good fighter. I hope Mewtwo replaces him.

And Ike... Well, I don't really mind him, but I think he'll be replaced by Chrom. If he does come back, I hope he gets nerfed a little bit. He's ridiculously strong.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Snake
Ike
I would really like ice climbers to get cut i do not like them.
I'd be pretty upset if wolf gets cut but I think he'll be back with some changes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I always thought of Snake as a Brawl exclusive, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets cut, and since the graphic style of this game isn't as gritty and "realistic" as Brawl's, I don't really see how he will fit in.
Eh that's what people said about Toon Link during Brawl and yet he made it in just fine. I don't think the art style will be much of an issue for Snake.

Hong

The Strongest
And Ike... Well, I don't really mind him, but I think he'll be replaced by Chrom. If he does come back, I hope he gets nerfed a little bit. He's ridiculously strong.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
It's cute when people think Jigglypuff's getting cut.

Honestly, I can only see Lucas, Snake, and MAYBE Ike getting cut.

Hong

The Strongest
It's cute when people are passively objecting the post above them.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's cute when people continue the "it's cute" thing.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Snake is really in danger because of the drastic reworking of the character recently.

Ike is gone. Outta here not even worth discussing.

Lucario might get the slip to make room for Mewtwo.

Pokemon Trainer is totally coming back.

Sakurai loves Star Fox.

Mother 3 was featured far too prominently in the last game to lose a playable character in this one.

Original 12. Not budging.

"Hey let's ditch an entirely original moveset on a very unique piece of hardware". He'll stay.

If they made it from Melee to Brawl they are here to stay. I stand by that rule. Also Star Fox.
With lucario, now that we have 5 mario reps we can have 5 pokemon both of them can stay.
I completely disagree on Ike he is the second most important FE character after marth, Is the only one after marth to have more than one game, Is still one of the most popular FE lords and is really unique and distinct form marth, while chrom is marths descendant, uses the same sword as him, has a similar fighting style and is just all around clone material

AcanthusLux

Smash Rookie
Hmm...well to respond to the topic, which is not who I think will be cut or who I want to be cut, but who I think would be most likely to be cut if time becomes a factor...

1) Lucas and Wolf. Going out on a limb here, I know...much has been made of the fact that they are clone-ish. But what I think really reduces their priority is that they are characters from relatively minor franchises that are already represented in the original 12. Sure, Ganondorf and Luigi are Clone-ish characters as well, but they are more important characters in more important series. (I know Starfox and Starfox 64 are big deals, but the financial depth and chronological breadth of Mario and Zelda's success are obviously much bigger than the Starfox franchise overall.)

1b) Falco. Personally, I think if 1 Starfox character gets cut, it should actually be Falco, as Wolf has a more unique moveset. Also, Hero & Villain/Rival is a better spread for a franchise with 2 reps than Hero & Ally/Sidekick. But I think seniority would end up being the deciding factor if the producers actually ended up choosing between the two, and Falco would return over Wolf.

2) Ike and Lucario. I don't really know...but these two are secondary reps from franchises with rotating/expanding casts, so they're more likely to leave than, say, Wario or Diddy Kong.

2b) JIgglypuff and Pokemon Trainer. Jiggly might make more sense to cut than Lucario, but I think there would probably be huge resistance to cutting a character with perfect attendance. As for Pokemon Trainer cut--that never would have occurred to me, as I think PT represents the franchise as well as, or even better than, Pikachu. But the arguments here kind of make sense: if you're cutting a character specifically because of time constraints, why not cut the one that's actually 3 characters. Still...hard to imagine.

Other Things:

3) Snake. Might be cut, might not. but one thing I feel absolutely, positively feel safe in saying is that he won't be cut for time. He will either be in or out based on interpersonal relationships, roster philosophy, and corporate politics.

Some ones that I consider wild, outside chances, but still more likely than others...

4) Ice Climbers and ROB. Either of these would shock me. I don't think cuts will remove whole franchises from the playable roster...BUT...Ice Climbers, even after 2 SSB appearances are really pushing the concept of a "Nintendo All-Star". And ROB, although he might have some historical significance, doesn't really have the unique charm of the other obscure/hardware character on the roster: Mr. Game and Watch.

5) Meta-Knight. Ok, here's one I don't think anyone believes...and for good reason. But Kirby really doesn't have the broad cultural significance of Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. I don't think it necessarily needs such heavy representation.

My preference would be no cuts + Mewtwo, Roy and Pichu returning. Heck, I might want Dr. Mario and Young Link back as well, except with Mario and Toon Link still around, they don't feel like cuts, exactly...

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
With lucario, now that we have 5 mario reps we can have 5 pokemon both of them can stay.
I completely disagree on Ike he is the second most important FE character after marth, Is the only one after marth to have more than one game, Is still one of the most popular FE lords and is really unique and distinct form marth, while chrom is marths descendant, uses the same sword as him, has a similar fighting style and is just all around clone material
Pikachu

Jigglypuff

Trainer

Mewtwo

New Pokemon

No room for Lucario. Unless they do six or nix Mewtwo (not likely in my eyes due to the huge comeback Mewtwo is making).

Logically you're thinking makes sense but following how these rosters tend to work out I don't see Ike coming back.

C3CC

Smash Lord
I don't really see a new Pokémon joining... I mean, the most relevant Pokémon in Gen VI is actually Mewtwo, with him receiving two Mega Evolutions (and, as far as I recall, the only legendary Pokémon who received a Mega Evolution). Gen V is now outdated and never had any prominent character (Zoroark had zero charisma and wasn't THAT promoted). Either Lucario is being replaced by Mewtwo (which I hope is the case, as I never liked Lucario as a character) or both are joining the battle once again.

That being said, I'll repeat my words: if Lucario returns, but Mewtwo doesn't, I'm going to be MAD.

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
R.O.B., Lucas, Wolf, Falco, Ike, Jigglypuff, and Pokemon Trainer are on the line. As much as I hate to admit, it wouldn't surprise me if they cut Lucario, too.

CombatScouter

Smash Apprentice
5) Meta-Knight. Ok, here's one I don't think anyone believes...and for good reason. But Kirby really doesn't have the broad cultural significance of Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. I don't think it necessarily needs such heavy representation.
Are three characters really "heavy representation" though? True, Kirby may not be at the forefront of many people's minds when they think of 'games' in general, but how many other fanchises can claim they are? And anyway, it's not as if it's an obscure series; there are still millions of people who know and love Kirby.

It should be noted that the Kirby series is also very important to both Smash Bros. and Nintendo as a whole, as it was created by Masahiro Sakurai, and shares lots of gameplay elements with Smash. Satoru Iwata also had his start at Hal Labs, working on Kirby games until finally joining Nintendo and becoming president a few years later.

Meta Knight is a very important piece of his series, and a unique and popular character even outside of it; why remove him because he isn't from Mario?

Top Bottom