• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I don't think a 3x vet like Jiggly will be booted.
I also think Wolf is pretty safe as he isn't a clone. He may be a little threatened if Krystal shows up and they don't want 4 Star Fox reps for some reason.

Snake is gone, good riddance. My bias was born from playing Smash Bros game that didn't feature "Nintendo's Cast of Colorful Characters" getting shot with grenades from an attack chopper and realizing how much I liked that.

I also don't think R.O.B is coming back. The obscurity of Mr. Game & Watch without any of the personification/charm.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't see Lucas getting the axe as stated previously. The thought of a franchise as small as Mother getting sliced in half is pretty shocking.

Before we knew anything about the roster, my predictions for cut characters were: Snake, Sonic, Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Wolf, Ike, Lucas, Lucario. Like it did to many of you, Toon Link's unveiling threw me, so I've since refined my guesses to:

Zero Suit Samus, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Lucas, Wolf, Snake.

For technical and performance reasons, particularly with the 3DS, I'd want to minimize the number of characters who can suddenly transform or swap out, hence dropping Zero Suit Samus, Ivysaur and Squirtle. This would mean that transforming is again unique to Zelda. I would probably have standard Samus fight more athletically to mitigate the loss of her transformation. Charizard is a good- and beloved-enough Pokémon to fight on his own, imo; though he would need a new Down Special. (And maybe a new Side Special since bashing his own head on a rock is a little silly.)

I could see Lucas and Wolf being retired. Lucas, despite his different standard moves, has gameplay that differs too little from Ness. Wolf, similarly, has specials that make him derivative of Fox and Falco, and if any cuts come to the ailing Star Fox series, it will surely be him. Coincidentally, both of those characters are from small and inactive series that many think were "over-repped" in Brawl anyway.

And last of all, Snake. It would just be too many resources going into promoting a character and a series that will probably never appear on the Wii U.

Just want to say that it's not because I dislike those characters—Wolf was the only character I considered myself to main in Brawl—it's just who I see at the bottom of the totem pole for the same reasons that a game developer might.

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Setting my fanboyism aside, I still don't see Lucas going since he's the main character of the most recent game in his series. If Ness wasn't in every game so far, it'd make more sense to boot him.

I can only really justify Snake being cut honestly.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Pikachu

Jigglypuff

Trainer

Mewtwo

New Pokemon

No room for Lucario. Unless they do six or nix Mewtwo (not likely in my eyes due to the huge comeback Mewtwo is making).

Logically you're thinking makes sense but following how these rosters tend to work out I don't see Ike coming back.
What new pokemon, we don't need to rep 5th gen anymore, there are no stand out 6th gen pokemon an lucario, mewtwo, jiggs and the kantostarters are relevant again and lucario is extremely popular. The only other pokemon worth having is meowth but his relevance has kind of faded and he wasn't even in X and Y

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Lucas might have been for Brawl due to the storyline. Ness and Lucas get to meet each other. But he does not add that much to the game except for a variation in style to Ness's gameplay. He could be in danger.

Snake could be in danger if one of the two paties involved does not want him in the next Smash. He seems like he could have been a Brawl exclusive.

Pokemon Trainer could either be severed so that all three Pokemon are in the game, but not connected to each other through the Trainer. OR if only one pokemon stays, than Ivy and Squirtle might be chopped.

Wolf could be in danger since he is a third space animal that has a laser, reflector, boost, jetpack, and tank.

I think the rest of the cast are relatively safe.

* In a weird scenario I could see Ike being cut with Shulk as the spiritual successor to the large, strong sword character allowing another FE character to enter the fray mitigating the feeling of sword-character clutter.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
What new pokemon, we don't need to rep 5th gen anymore, there are no stand out 6th gen pokemon an lucario, mewtwo, jiggs and the kantostarters are relevant again and lucario is extremely popular. The only other pokemon worth having is meowth but his relevance has kind of faded and he wasn't even in X and Y
There will probably be a new Pokemon, The Pokemon Company is anal as all hell from what I hear, they're not gonna pass up giving the new gen some advertising.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
There will probably be a new Pokemon, The Pokemon Company is anal as all hell from what I hear, they're not gonna pass up giving the new gen some advertising.
All the old pokemon can advertise it, what 6th gen pokemon would you add? none of them are as important or popular as the 5 we already have

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
All the old pokemon can advertise it, what 6th gen pokemon would you add? none of them are as important or popular as the 5 we already have
No idea but I didn't think Lucario was all that special until he was in Smash so who knows?

NWRL

Smash Ace
I can see Lucario and Snake being cut. Lucario because his relevance in Pokemon has been waning (Mega aside), Snake because he was a personal request by Kojima, I'm not sure if he'd want him in Smash twice.

Everyone else is safe I believe, and I don't see how Ike is in danger, he's one of the most popular lords in the series, he has a unique moveset and he's extremely popular in polls in Japan. Chrom and Marth cross into way too many similar design territories to be worth adding in imo. (Ike's also one of two FE lords who's balls have dropped, the other being my ***** Hector)

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
No idea but I didn't think Lucario was all that special until he was in Smash so who knows?
Well he really is in X and Y, he had tons of promotion, was the tutorial for mega evolution basically and is said to be the first pokemon to ever mega evolve

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Ice Climbers (Can the 3DS handle eight Ice Climbers at a time?), Wolf, Lucario for Mewtwo, and Lucas (I hope not).
Well it can handle 4 rosalina & lumas, wolf is a villain and god knows we need more of those, now that we have 5 mario we can have 5 pokemon and lucario is relevant again and is extremely popular and lucas is the character from the most recent mother game

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
5) Meta-Knight. Ok, here's one I don't think anyone believes...and for good reason. But Kirby really doesn't have the broad cultural significance of Mario, Zelda or Pokemon. I don't think it necessarily needs such heavy representation.
Originally I thought he would've been cut, but changed my mind.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I honestly believe every character that was in Brawl had their purpose and it'd be a shame to let anyone go. I can't see anyone really agreeing on what characters are the most likely to be cut without some prejudice even if it's indirect. I will probably say Snake's probably the most questionable. But I see his chances are no lower then 50%, he's either in or he's not depending on the circumstances. If Sakurai and/or Kojima want him back in Smash, then he will. Simple as that.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Ike's the only character I see getting cut.
Why he's the 2nd most important fire emblem character after marth, is one of the most popular fire emblem lords, is one of the 2 characters to have more than one game the other being marth and is incredibly unique and different to marth

Ruthy

Smash Apprentice
Wolf needs to come back, he may be a semi clone but its better than Falco as a Star Fox rep.

Falco, Lucas, ROB, Pkmn Trainer, and Marth 2 can **** off.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Well he really is in X and Y, he had tons of promotion, was the tutorial for mega evolution basically and is said to be the first pokemon to ever mega evolve
I want you to be right I really do but no way are they gonna give X and Y the shaft in representation and no way are there gonna be 6 Pokemon characters. If it's between Mewtwo and Lucario in that scenario I see Mewtwo winning out in a big way.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I want you to be right I really do but no way are they gonna give X and Y the shaft in representation and no way are there gonna be 6 Pokemon characters. If it's between Mewtwo and Lucario in that scenario I see Mewtwo winning out in a big way.
there only will be 5, pikachu, jiggs, poke trainer, mewtwo and lucario. Jiggs, lucario and mewtwo already represent X and Y and there are no obvious important x and y pokemon to add

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
there only will be 5, pikachu, jiggs, poke trainer, mewtwo and lucario. Jiggs, lucario and mewtwo already represent X and Y and there are no obvious important x and y pokemon to add
They never just ignore the newest generation though. Melee had Pichu, Brawl had Lucario it's gonna happen they will find a Pokemon worth adding.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Why he's the 2nd most important fire emblem character after marth, is one of the most popular fire emblem lords, is one of the 2 characters to have more than one game the other being marth and is incredibly unique and different to marth
I just think Fire Emblem should only have two characters, and it's likely that Chrom or Robin will come and replace Ike.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I just think Fire Emblem should only have two characters, and it's likely that Chrom or Robin will come and replace Ike.
Chrom has only been in one game, isn't important to the series in the slightest and is essentially just marth. I don't see why we can't have 3 FE characters, the series has really gotten bigger since brawl

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Chrom has only been in one game, isn't important to the series in the slightest and is essentially just marth. I don't see why we can't have 3 FE characters, the series has really gotten bigger since brawl
Chrom is the main character of a very successful game. He's definitely important.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Chrom is the main character of a very successful game. He's definitely important.
not to the series he's a one time character in a series full of many and he's not unique in the slightest if anyhting we'd get lucina cause shes a female or the avatar for moveset potential

SonicMario

Smash Master
I personally don't feel Ike has a reason to be cut because I do think (And I'm not even a Fire Emblem fan) that the series has become popular enough to garner three reps. Plus I believe Ike's first game was the first one released internationally. He means quite a bit to people outside of Japan as a result. Ike isn't just a throwaway like Roy was. Ike being cut would garner a base larger then the support for Roy to return from Melee to SSB4.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Same thing applies to Ike. Except Ike's been in three (four if you count SMTxFE) Fire Emblem games. Chrom is gonna be a once off character more than likely, no reason to add him to Smash

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
Well, strike another seemingly in danger vet from the list.

• Lucas
  • Ike
  • Wolf
  • Lucario
  • Toon Link
Is anyone getting cut?
I'm willing to be every single character in your bullets will be back at this rate. Maybe there won't be any cuts! Just maybe they'll get everyone back in there.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
You have no idea how upset I would be if I lost both Pokemon Trainer and Lucas. Easily my best two.

Lucas and Ness aren't the same at all... I have hope that since freaking Toon Link is staying, we won't lose Lucas. I'd much rather drop Ness lol

I also see no reason at all for Pokemon Trainer leaving.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
They never just ignore the newest generation though. Melee had Pichu, Brawl had Lucario it's gonna happen they will find a Pokemon worth adding.
Frankly, the only way for the 6th generation to get represented in a playable manner is if any of the Pokemon veterans receive mega evolutions.

Top Bottom