• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I was initially concerned that PT was to be removed but after Rosalina's reveal I am almost certain he'll be in for sure. Rosalina's link with Luma clears the issue of having to technical issues on the 3ds for tracking multiple characters and the fact that she is the fifth mario rep means that there should be no problem with there being 5 pokemon characters (the four from brawl + Mewtwo). Other than that he IS the face of the pokemon games next to pikachu so I'm not sure why people are still saying he'll be removed.

If I had to say the only three I believe may get the axe are
1):wolf:
2):lucas:
3):snake:
4):yeahboi:

Though who's to know really. The characters of Brawl were much more unique then the classic melee days. Plus who's to say Kojima's interest in the series has already died down? Can't say much for Shaq though.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I was initially concerned that PT was to be removed but after Rosalina's reveal I am almost certain he'll be in for sure. Rosalina's link with Luma clears the issue of having to technical issues on the 3ds for tracking multiple characters and the fact that she is the fifth mario rep means that there should be no problem with there being 5 pokemon characters (the four from brawl + Mewtwo). Other than that he IS the face of the pokemon games next to pikachu so I'm not sure why people are still saying he'll be removed.

If I had to say the only three I believe may get the axe are
1):wolf:
2):lucas:
3):snake:
4):yeahboi:

Though who's to know really. The characters of Brawl were much more unique then the classic melee days. Plus who's to say Kojima's interest in the series has already died down? Can't say much for Shaq though.
Woah woah woah man. I can see everyone else, but Shaq? He's still relevant with that Shaq Fu sequel coming out.

:troll: I'm not joking about the sequel :troll:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'd think Wolf, ROB, and Lucario.

Jigglypuff has been in every smash, it wouldn't make sense without her in it.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
rob toon link, pokemon trainer (just have pokemon be separate characters)

ZombieVito

Smash Journeyman
I fail to see how 5 will make them cut Snake, 4 was released the same year Brawl did.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Because he doesn't like him.
Everyone who says R.O.B. is going to get cut simply doesn't like R.O.B. It's that easy.

The only ones I think have a risk of getting cut:

- Wolf. Because of many reasons, mostly StarFox being dead and losing a lot of following.
- Ike. Might be changed with another Fire Emblem character, but I also feel FE deserves three reps.
- Lucario. Since Mewtwo is definitely coming back, Lucario would be the 5th rep, and a 6th it's very unlikeable. So, since I expect a new Pokémon character, he will probably have to make space. And no way Jiggly is going instead of him.
- Snake. The only reason is Nintendo probably not giving priority to him because Konami hates the WiiU. But I feel he still has a fair chance to get in, like 60%, solely because Kojima will want to see him along Mario, Mega Man, Sonic and Link.

Also Ganondorf could be getting reworked or may present himself as a new Young/Toon situation in the sense that Ganondorf gets cut and Ganon gets in.

I anyway strongly believe cuts will be minimal in this installment (these tops). Sakurai has plenty of time to get them all in, and if he doesn't get to it we'll probably have DLCs to fill the gap.

Oh and that "The Trainer will be cut" / "The Pokémon have to be separate characters!" bull**** needs to end. It's one of the worst things I've read on this board. Do you really want to have Ivysaur as a separate character? ****ing Ivysaur? Give me a break. The meaning behind the Trainer is them being a team, I would rather see them cut than returning all separated. ****ing Project M ruined them and poisoned your mind.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Because he doesn't like him.
Everyone who says R.O.B. is going to get cut simply doesn't like R.O.B. It's that easy.

The only ones I think have a risk of getting cut:

- Wolf. Because of many reasons, mostly StarFox being dead and losing a lot of following.
- Ike. Might be changed with another Fire Emblem character, but I also feel FE deserves three reps.
- Lucario. Since Mewtwo is definitely coming back, Lucario would be the 5th rep, and a 6th it's very unlikeable. So, since I expect a new Pokémon character, he will probably have to make space. And no way Jiggly is going instead of him.
- Snake. The only reason is Nintendo probably not giving priority to him because Konami hates the WiiU. But I feel he still has a fair chance to get in, like 60%, solely because Kojima will want to see him along Mario, Mega Man, Sonic and Link.

Oh and that "The Trainer will be cut" / "The Pokémon have to be separate characters!" bull**** needs to end. It's one of the worst things I've read on this board. Do you really want to have Ivysaur as a separate character? ****ing Ivysaur? Give me a break. The meaning behind the Trainer is them being a team, I would rather see them cut than returning all separated. ****ing Project M ruined them and poisoned your mind.
I'm going to reply to everything on your statement just cause
I personally don't like how weird looking ROB is, but he's adorable and here to stay so w/e

-I'd agree with wolf, but it'd be a shame to see him go
-ike's a really unique character, only problem i see with 3 fire emblem reps is that they all have blue hair :troll:
-Depends on whether GF thinks a jackal or a super awesome clone mega pokemon is better.
-i personally want snake in, but there's honestly only a little bit more reason to have him in now. (but if kojima somehow wants to put an mgs game with the soliton gamepad i'm sure he'll be in)

I for one thought that pokemon trainer would disappear and charizard/blastoise/venasaur would return as pokeballs.

And dlc for smash would be great, i wouldn't even mind paying for extra chars, as long as it isn't in disk dlc or something absurd like 5+ veterans becoming dlc

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
This one is kind of hard to call...

I mean, first, we have to take into account the possibility that time constraints won't be that big of a deal. If that's the case, cuts would only show up if Sakurai thought a character was an absolute waste of a slot. If THAT were the case...why were they in Smash. Bros to begin with?

However, in the realm of the hypothetical...

Lucas: I really don't have anything against him. I'd prefer his specials be a little more different than Ness's (a lot of people look at specials over every other move as the definition of a character. It's why Lucas, Falco, and Wolf are cursed to be assumed clones), but he definitely plays differently from Ness. I should know. Ness is one of my mains. And I just can't play with Lucas.
All that aside, the layout of the product placement in SSB4 (handheld history for 3DS, etc.) may give Lucas a bit of a leg up. After all, Mother 3 will forever be the only handheld Mother game (unless you count Japan-only GBA ports). That being said, there's bound to be a bit of Mother 3 in SSB3DS, and it'd be weird to not have a semi-established playable character who perfectly reflects that aspect of the series resurface.

Snake: All prejudices aside, I can't really think of a good argument for his inclusion outside of "He was in Brawl". And a character isn't in the best spot when an attempt at a defense comes out "Well, is Sakurai still buddies with that Konami guy?"
ALSO, I'd just like to say that, while Sakurai may have only said "legendary" third parties and not "legendary with a strong relationship with Nintendo", I would like to hope that the "with a strong relationship with Nintendo" should be a given since, you know, we're discussing a NINTENDO-EXCLUSIVE video game made SOLELY TO CELEBRATE NINTENDO by duking it out with NINTENDO ALL-STARS. That being said, I fall back on the "He was in Brawl" straw-grasping. I mean, it's not like a gritty and more realistic slow-moving character mantle couldn't go to, say, Mach Rider (heavy off his cycle, fast when on it, that'd be nifty). But enough about Snake.

Lucario: Lucario has gotten enough X & Y promotion to allow me to feel secure in saying that he isn't a flavor-of-the-month character. He has proven to, in fact, NOT be dated. And in the realm of possibility that Mewtwo does come back, I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say that they both have large enough move pools to be different.

Pokemon Trainer: The fact that PT is really 3.5 characters in one really stinks due to that being his ONLY con. I mean, three famous Pokemon, one of which being CHARIZARD, plus the first human Pokemon "playable character" and the switch-when-it-gets-tired gimmick is all awesome! But it must be a real pain to fill that one character slot.

Jigglypuff: If she made it into Brawl with as little popularity as she had at the time, then I'm confident in seeing Jigglypuff come back after her popularity has increased, to some extent.

R.O.B.: I honestly don't know what everyone has against R.O.B. I mean, if you put your prejudices aside like the thread says to, then what does he have going against him? Because, if I recall, a lack of recent games doesn't really hurt one's chances, ESPECIALLY a Retro character. And this is a Retro who has a multitude of cameos under his belt. For a character of his stature, he's practically a shoe-in.

Wolf: Having recently mained Wolf, I've found the same defense I gave with Lucas to be true with Wolf - he plays differently than his fellow animal-people pilots. It's just a matter of people noticing more than the four special moves.
I honestly think Wolf has got as much of a chance as Falco, minus the two-time Vet status, which can't be helped, given the circumstances.
As for "Replace Wolf/Falco with Krystal", all prejudices aside, I don't think a character should be introduced if it means cutting a previous Veteran. There's a point when a series reaches over-representation, which is why Star Fox will most likely stop at three. And there's a reason that Falco and Wolf were 2 and 3. Depriving the people of a character they never even had the option to play as is nothing compared to depriving the people of their FAVORITE character that they DID get to play as.

In other words, I sure as heck am never supporting Wolf getting cut or replaced. He's my main man.

Ike: The thing that makes Ike different from Roy is the fact that his moveset was different from Marth's. That, in and of itself, may have broken the "mold" for the barely-formed "Marth+2nd Rep" shtick due to Ike being in place of a fire-based carbon copy of Marth. And, if someone would say "Just give his moves to (place one of a bajillion different warring characters here)!"...why cut Ike in the first place, if that's all you'd do with his successor?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
rob toon link, pokemon trainer (just have pokemon be separate characters)
I'm going to reply to everything on your statement just cause
I personally don't like how weird looking ROB is, but he's adorable and here to stay so w/e

-I'd agree with wolf, but it'd be a shame to see him go
-ike's a really unique character, only problem i see with 3 fire emblem reps is that they all have blue hair :troll:
-Depends on whether GF thinks a jackal or a super awesome clone mega pokemon is better.
-i personally want snake in, but there's honestly only a little bit more reason to have him in now. (but if kojima somehow wants to put an mgs game with the soliton gamepad i'm sure he'll be in)

I for one thought that pokemon trainer would disappear and charizard/blastoise/venasaur would return as pokeballs.

And dlc for smash would be great, i wouldn't even mind paying for extra chars, as long as it isn't in disk dlc or something absurd like 5+ veterans becoming dlc
The only thing against the Trainer was 3DS' capability of making him work, but since Zelda/Sheik and Rosalina & Luma are in (yes you all know Sheik is returning) Sakurai evidently fixed that issue. These scenarios anyway CAN'T simply happen:

- The Trainer returning with all the Pokémon separated. That would create at least like six spots for Pokémon alone. Not happening. Squirtle and Ivysaur especially aren't iconic enough to get a different spot (I mean, IVYSAUR) and Sakurai clearly sees them working as a team: that's their "uniqueness". And it's not a gimmick.
- Charizard returning, while Squirtle and Ivysaur getting cut. Just plain stupid. I understand people like Charizard 'cause he's cool an' all, but he won't become a single spot. Sakurai, again, doesn't see him like that.
- The Trainer comes back with three different starters. I'm not saying it would be ugly, but... Why? Why just get rid of three popular and well done Pokémon characters to put in three completely new movesets from starters which aren't probably that recognizable? Or do you guys really think that Emboar, Typhlosion or Delphox can easily take Charizard's moveset because LOL THEY'RE ALL FIRE STARTERS HURR DURR. Just plain mental.

D

Deleted member

Some people just need to give R.O.B. a break. He saved the gaming crash of 1983, show some respect!

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
The only thing against the Trainer was 3DS' capability of making him work, but since Zelda/Sheik and Rosalina & Luma are in (yes you all know Sheik is returning) Sakurai evidently fixed that issue. These scenarios anyway CAN'T simply happen:
I just think the issue is that technically PT is 3 different characters, taking up 3 character slots in one. He's really not that unique, basically just zelda/shiek jacked up to 3.
I honestly don't know where pokemon trainer is going in the next smash, nor do i care. I just think that a 3 in one character for a franchise that will most likely have 4-5 fighters is a bit redundant

edit: that's fine, as long as i'm not mental :kirby2:

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

- The Trainer returning with all the Pokémon separated. That would create at least like six spots for Pokémon alone. Not happening. Squirtle and Ivysaur especially aren't iconic enough to get a different spot (I mean, IVYSAUR) and Sakurai clearly sees them working as a team: that's their "uniqueness". And it's not a gimmick.
- Charizard returning, while Squirtle and Ivysaur getting cut. Just plain stupid. I understand people like Charizard 'cause he's cool an' all, but he won't become a single spot. Sakurai, again, doesn't see him like that.
- The Trainer comes back with three different starters. I'm not saying it would be ugly, but... Why? Why just get rid of three popular and well done Pokémon characters to put in three completely new movesets from starters which aren't probably that recognizable? Or do you guys really think that Emboar, Typhlosion or Delphox can easily take Charizard's moveset because LOL THEY'RE ALL FIRE STARTERS HURR DURR. Just plain mental.
Here's what I say:
On paper, yes. I like Pokemon Trainer, heck I'd main him. With enough buffing (both in general and with the specific Pokemon themselves). He could be a decent mix-up character that focuses on mindgames.
The problem is the "gimmicks" he got which hindered him both casually and competitively. I don't want to keep swapping just to bring out the max potential. And type effectiveness was negligible with 2/3 of the Pokemon, but hindered Iysaur in the process.
Then there PM, as much as I loved what they're doing, I, too, am against the split. Removing what made Pokemon Trainer special, and ended up with 3 characters, and an idea lost...

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I just think the issue is that technically PT is 3 different characters, taking up 3 character slots in one. He's really not that unique, basically just zelda/shiek jacked up to 3.
I honestly don't know where pokemon trainer is going in the next smash, nor do i care. I just think that a 3 in one character for a franchise that will most likely have 4-5 fighters is a bit redundant

also, i never said anything along the lines of those three scenarios
-squirtle and ivysaur are blech. I never want to see them as their own characters.
-Charizard's cool an stuff but i'd still prefer seeing him and vena/blastoise as pokeballs again
-3 different starters is stupid and that's that
I wasn't responding to you, but simply to Trainer's nay-sayers.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Woah woah woah man. I can see everyone else, but Shaq? He's still relevant with that Shaq Fu sequel coming out.

Well I guess that goes to show.

Unknown.jpeg

I'm Trippin' up

I quit! I'm done with this whole analysis bit, Sakurai's too devious.

As for Muster's comment, the gimmick of PT isn't the pokemon change in itself but the pokemon management system entirely. Where as Zelda's transformation is more of a bonus move set tied to a character via loading screen; PT's change is fundamental to his play style.

I personally never minded stamina in itself and loved the forced pokemon switch. What I hated was how fast pokemon fatigued and how stamina was tied not only to the amount of moves you use but also the amount of time the pokemon is in. Seriously who best that fatigued from just standing in one spot. I personally always felt PT pokemon change was more natural than Zelda's transformation anyway.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
pt is to unique to remove, I believe he reps it a lot better then any pokemon on the roster.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The people arguing that there is no reason to include Snake baffle me.

He has amazing starpower. He brought a large amount of fans the Smash on his own. He's on par with Mario, Link, Pikachu and Sonic. And I can guarantee you he attracted more people then any Brawl Nintendo newcomer.

Wario? Pfft. Diddy Kong? Nah. Snake is leagues above them.

I've heard people say that Snake being in would advertise for the competition. But wouldn't it just expand the demographic? A demographic that Nintendo doesn't usually get? People say that they need more hardcore games. Something to appeal to the hardcore audience. Snake is one of those things! He is a character that sells games. He's essentially the "mature" Sonic.

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
But, there's not much to take Lucario's place. Pokemon like Zoroark and Genesect are old news by now. Unlike Lucario, they were actual "flavor-of-the-month" characters. I wouldn't consider Lucario a lock, as Sakurai may go off and decide Zoroark has more interesting potential or something. And personally I'd rather see Lucario shuffle out for a new Pokemon. Zoroark especially. But, all things considered, he's been promoted pretty consistently ever since his debut in Diamond and Pearl, while other "new" Pokemon have come and gone. His chances aren't 100%, but I definitely wouldn't put him on the chopping block just yet.

Also: if Mewtwo's coming back, he's almost definitely bringing Mega Mewtwo Y and/or Mega Mewtwo X with him, making him a Gen 6 rep. There's the new Pokemon character. Probably the best choice there is, really, since the only other notable Gen 6 Pokemon are the starters (which can't coexist with PT) and Sylveon (which is probably -unfortunately- disqualified by its body type).

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
uuu... idn.

wtw

A Shaq Fu 2 no no NO!

I say there is no reason to cut ROB :rob:

But cut Rob and add Shaq? NO!

re redo I like Nintendo to cut :pt::lucas:and :snake:

Last edited:

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Yes yes YES!
I did say no becas [From Wikipedia]
Shaq Fu was widely panned by critics and gamers. Gametrailers rated it #4 Worst in their "Top Ten Best and Worst Video Games"., commenting that "Shaq Fu is a dud" in terms of fighting games based on basketball players.[2GameInformer magazine placed it #2 on the Top 10 Fighting Games We'd Like To Forget.[citation needed] In response to the negative feedback to the game, Levi Buchanan from IGN stated it was undeserved as a result of collective exaggerations.[3] The website Shaqfu.com is dedicated to liberating the game from existence by finding and destroying any copies of the game.[4] Conversely, the website Saveshaqfu.com does the opposite by finding and preserving copies.
See also Shaq Fu at MobyGames

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I did say no becas [From Wikipedia]
Shaq Fu was widely panned by critics and gamers. Gametrailers rated it #4 Worst in their "Top Ten Best and Worst Video Games"., commenting that "Shaq Fu is a dud" in terms of fighting games based on basketball players.[2GameInformer magazine placed it #2 on the Top 10 Fighting Games We'd Like To Forget.[citation needed] In response to the negative feedback to the game, Levi Buchanan from IGN stated it was undeserved as a result of collective exaggerations.[3] The website Shaqfu.com is dedicated to liberating the game from existence by finding and destroying any copies of the game.[4] Conversely, the website Saveshaqfu.com does the opposite by finding and preserving copies.
See also
So? I thought it was hilariously bad...

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I think Ike and Wolf could be in danger, but that's about it, I don't think they're going to want to make too many cuts.

Jigglypuff will most likely be in just for the sake of tradition IMO; she has been in since the very beginning. The Pokemon Trainer is hard to say. Lucario may depend on whether or not we see Mewtwo come back.

I can understand why some people may fear for Lucas, but honestly, he played pretty differently from Ness. Also, unlike Fire Emblem's Roy / Ike scenario, who have a few other updated reps, I'm not sure if there would be any better EB reps to replace him with.

Mr. G&W, R.O.B and the others are pretty much guaranteed a spot I think.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
:snake: is the only one to me who is very likely to be cut due to his status as third-party put in as a favor to a guy who isn't even releasing the next game of the series on a Nintendo console.

:rob: was the outlandish addition to Brawl, much like G&W / ICs in Melee. I remember pre-Brawl everyone was saying both G&W and ICs would be for sure cut. R.O.B. is unique and serves a purpose so he's staying imo.

:jigglypuff: is a staple to the Pokemon and Smash franchises. She's definitely top 10 (top 5?) most recognizable Pokemon of all time. To think they would cut her is ridiculous.

One of either :pt: or :lucario: I could see potentially getting cut (assume Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario/PT, Mewtwo and 5th/6th gen rep are cast). Although its supposed to be biases aside, cutting PT would free up a lot more time for developers to work on other characters and game aspects so that's what I would personally prefer.

I don't know where to stand on the :falco: v :wolf: (v Krystal?) debate. Ideally Falco and Wolf would be reworked further to distance themselves from Fox similarities and Krystal would be added but 4 reps seems unlikely. The fact Wolf was the lowest priority and last addition to Smash may or may not play a factor, though probably not.

:ike:, I don't even want to touch because who knows.

:sheik: and :zerosuitsamus: are only logical choices to return, I don't see Sakurai teasing fans of these very well-received characters for so long only to let them down in the end (especially after the uproars of Mewtwo/Roy not being in Brawl).

If anyone thinks :ganondorf: is in any danger of being cut you're whack

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The point of this place is to "predict" who will be cut, but since I don't believe in that, I'm just going to talk about what I feel with everyone:

R.O.B. and Snake are two characters that have no place in my heart as far as them standing next to the rest of the cast, they are the "odd ones out" to me. However, I'm not for them being cut on this basis. I used to be for cutting R.O.B. because I didn't have much fun playing as him which couldn't warm me up to him, but the concept is just too funny and he's a part of Nintendo history more than some characters we actually have and presume to keep having. Snake is the exact opposite, his moves are far too unique for me to want him gone. If he did disappear, I wouldn't feel bothered, but I'd never willingly remove someone who brings so much to the table no matter how much I don't think he really belongs. It's flat out a matter of removing quality from our product with Snake.

Pokemon Trainer NEEDS TO STAY. Any issues involving the character need to be adjusted, but the concept is unique, as well-representational you're going to get with a Pokemon character (aside from Pikachu), and it's just too damn exciting to play as the iconic starters. Was anyone NOT excited when they saw the Dojo update for Brawl that revealed Pokemon Trainer? ANYONE AT ALL? I'm genuinely asking, because I don't know. To me though, there's just too much value here.

Lucas... Lucas Lucas Lucas... Not long ago I remember defending the inclusion of this character.. Mother 3 is such a lovely game, Lucas is so much fun to play, but I just don't know. I'd prefer no one to be cut honestly, but the point of this topic is to assume some amount will leave, and sadly I might put Lucas on that list. The Mother series doesn't need two characters. There's also the weird issue that the characters DEPEND on using moves that they don't even learn in the game in order to fit, and I think one committing that is enough for my tastes. (Of course you can say that they still represent their series and/or in theory could learn those moves, but that doesn't detract from the feeling it just feels like we're needlessly pulling more for something that doesn't really need it all that much in my opinion).

Ike NEEDS TO STAY. Way too ridiculously fun, and he's very unique. Most of all though I see no real demand for him having to get out of here. Trying to say that he isn't "relevant" to our games now is obviously not something that demands a character on our roster to be removed.

Jigglypuff ALSO NEEDS TO STAY. It's fun to play and she's been in all three, to me she's a Smasher through and through. Its presence may STILL be weird, maybe growing weirder as time goes on, and it may have almost not made the cut last time, but I think it should pull through once again because to be honest there'd be a sense of emptiness that it would leave behind if it left our roster. No doubt in my mind.

Lucario... I say if Sakurai has a Pokemon newcomer in mind for this game (not counting Mewtwo), we leave it behind, we cut it. But if not, let's let it stay. I create that either/or mostly because I'm not sure how to choose whether it should stay or not, and if we get a new Poke, I do think one should be cut, but it shouldn't be Pikachu, and I already said it shouldn't be Jiggly or Trainer, so Lucario should. He doesn't leave that strong of an impression, although I like the Pokemon and how he plays, plus he was only in once.

Wolf. It's kind of funny, I think Wolf is more interesting than Falco in both character and set. I wouldn't mind one of the two leaving. Of course, people question Wolf and not Falco because we've gotten him twice now while he's the new guy. Three Star Fox characters? Personally I don't need it. Sadly not too much I can say about that. According to the OP Falco is guaranteed to return, so apparently the mere notion of Falco going is pretty outrageous. :laugh: Oh well. Either or. I'd keep both in a perfect scenario, but again, this thread demands I pick some.

Why is Ganondorf in the "LIKELY returning"? Dude, HE'S STAYING IN NO DOUBT. I'd just like to have some "minor" adjustments made to him, is all. :grin:

Zero Suit Samus can stay, no reason at all for her to go. Sheik on the other hand, I don't know. She has been in twice, and yet she doesn't fit in as much as Zamus. But I've not been arguing by relevancy yet so I'm not so sure she should be cut. I don't want her to go on the basis that she is a blemish on Zelda's set since they don't work well together, even if they stay that way I'd be fine with it. Also, I don't want her replaced with... dare I utter it... IMPA. So whatever, she should stay.

So my extremely rigorous analysis shows that our cuts will be:

1.:lucas:
2. Either :wolf: or :falco:
3. :lucario: unless we don't get a new Pokemon Smasher

Wow, I wasn't willing to give up much, I'm quite greedy! :laugh: If I had to subtract more, I guess the first two I mention, R.O.B. and Snake..

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Unless Sakurai plans to have more than two 3rd party reps, Solid Snake seems to be the one who's most likely to get the boot.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
The point of this place is to "predict" who will be cut, but since I don't believe in that, I'm just going to talk about what I feel with everyone:

Pokemon Trainer NEEDS TO STAY. Any issues involving the character need to be adjusted, but the concept is unique, as well-representational you're going to get with a Pokemon character (aside from Pikachu), and it's just too damn exciting to play as the iconic starters. Was anyone NOT excited when they saw the Dojo update for Brawl that revealed Pokemon Trainer? ANYONE AT ALL? I'm genuinely asking, because I don't know. To me though, there's just too much value here.

Jigglypuff ALSO NEEDS TO STAY. It's fun to play and she's been in all three, to me she's a Smasher through and through. Its presence may STILL be weird, maybe growing weirder as time goes on, and it may have almost not made the cut last time, but I think it should pull through once again because to be honest there'd be a sense of emptiness that it would leave behind if it left our roster. No doubt in my mind.
Totally agreed on these two! Couldn't have put it better myself.

grizby2

Smash Lord
heh...

I remember when G&W was announced for melee. people were so pissed off.
now they love him like he's an Idol. I assume R.O.B will get the same treatment eventually.

...The Mother series doesn't need two characters. There's also the weird issue that the characters DEPEND on using moves that they don't even learn in the game in order to fit, and I think one committing that is enough for my tastes...
well.. im pretty sure that lucas will most likely be the ONLY additional mother character we'll ever have. is one character really that.. bad? :( I mean people were begging for more kid Icarus characters even before Uprising came out, so would it be a bad thing if that happened? I mean if lucas must be cut, at LEAST give him the fire emblem treatment and replace him with a different mother character. what if sakurai cut roy but DIDN'T add ike?. a lot of people might have thrown up! like seriously, puke, just sloshing in the street gutters, dead pond life, ..the SmeLLllll...... also, we can always change ness/Lucas's movesets so they don't need to borrow moves from their team mates, and given sakurais vivid imagination (WFT), I suppose anything is up for grabs.

I think lucas is one of those character that CAN be cut, but doesn't NEED to be cut.

as far as who I think are the most likely to be cut/remade/replaced...

I choose
:lucario: replaced in favor of another pokemon, but still has high popularity, so he might stay
:snake:3rd party guest character, and with sonic confirmed, might be replaced with another 3rd party character. still has a slim chance to stay though.
:pt:might get remade somehow. he might get cut, but I really hope that doesn't happen, he just needs some shine and polish.

also, I was wondering if anyone had a source if weather or not sakurai said that:
A) not all characters from smash bros are returning

or..

B) not all characters from BRAWL are returning
..cuz like, theres a major difference there, ya know?

Maha Ishaq

Smash Cadet
I also really dislike the idea of Lucas being cut. Mother only has 2 reps as is, that's pretty damn small compared to Star Fox's 3 semi-clones. Not only that, but both Ness and Lucas represent a different part of the trilogy.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I agree that ROB is most likely returning and much of his hate is simply because people don't like him, but I don't think it's the only reason he is picked on. Let's be honest, Brawl newcomers seem the most likely to be cut as people haven't gotten so used to see them as they have some of the more familiar faces, and it sounds like Sakurai doesn't want to disappoint with cuts. Well peeps like Wario, and Metaknight just seemed to obvious not to include. Even Wolf kinda fits this to a degree (would more so if not for Falco). Thus it only seems natural that people talk about cutting peeps like Pokemon Trainer, Ike, Lucas, and Rob. Honestly if Wolf didn't use a land master and have specials that greatly resemble Fox and Falco (even if they are very different functionally) people probably wouldn't suggest Wolf be cut nearly as often.

Morbi

Scavenger
heh...

I remember when G&W was announced for melee. people were so pissed off.
now they love him like he's an Idol. I assume R.O.B will get the same treatment eventually.

well.. im pretty sure that lucas will most likely be the ONLY additional mother character we'll ever have. is one character really that.. bad? :( I mean people were begging for more kid Icarus characters even before Uprising came out, so would it be a bad thing if that happened? I mean if lucas must be cut, at LEAST give him the fire emblem treatment and replace him with a different mother character. what if sakurai cut roy but DIDN'T add ike?. a lot of people might have thrown up! like seriously, puke, just sloshing in the street gutters, dead pond life, ..the SmeLLllll...... also, we can always change ness/Lucas's movesets so they don't need to borrow moves from their team mates, and given sakurais vivid imagination (WFT), I suppose anything is up for grabs.

I think lucas is one of those character that CAN be cut, but doesn't NEED to be cut.

as far as who I think are the most likely to be cut/remade/replaced...

I choose
:lucario: replaced in favor of another pokemon, but still has high popularity, so he might stay
:snake:3rd party guest character, and with sonic confirmed, might be replaced with another 3rd party character. still has a slim chance to stay though.
:pt:might get remade somehow. he might get cut, but I really hope that doesn't happen, he just needs some shine and polish.

also, I was wondering if anyone had a source if weather or not sakurai said that:
A) not all characters from smash bros are returning

or..

B) not all characters from BRAWL are returning
..cuz like, theres a major difference there, ya know?
He stated option "a" and as such many assert that he could have been alluding to characters like Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Roy to a lesser extent thus making the notion of "cuts" negligible. Personally, I believe that these people forget the context of the statement and the premise that Sakurai literally states that 39 is his ideal/feasible roster. Thus a 25% (10 character increase) is unlikely to happen without a few omissions.

However, I have to say, I am still pissed about Game and Watch. I have never gotten over that salt. I want him cut before they cut ROB.

metaknave

Smash Apprentice
I can see Snake, Ike, Lucas, and Wolf leaving the most, with Snake being most likely to get the boot.

Ike might return if Sakurai thinks Fire Emblem can have 3 characters (and considering the success of Awakening, I can see it happening). Lucas and Wolf need a bit of moveset tweaking to stay (and maybe a new game in their series). Snake stays only if a MGS game comes to a Nintendo system soon. Pokémon Trainer can either be retooled to have the Kalos starters (my votes go to Chespin, Braixen, and Greninja) or get rid of the stamina gimmick, and Lucario has Mega Evolution. ROB represents Nintendo's toyetic times and also has the retro charm to stay. Not to mention almost everyone has a unique moveset (seriously, change it up, Lucas and Wolf).

But really, I don't want anyone cut. Moveset tweaks, sure, but cuts? No thanks! But if cuts have to be made, then: In order, Snake, Lucas, Ike, Wolf, Lucario, Pokémon Trainer, then ROB last.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
The people arguing that there is no reason to include Snake baffle me.

He has amazing starpower. He brought a large amount of fans the Smash on his own. He's on par with Mario, Link, Pikachu and Sonic. And I can guarantee you he attracted more people then any Brawl Nintendo newcomer.

Wario? Pfft. Diddy Kong? Nah. Snake is leagues above them.

I've heard people say that Snake being in would advertise for the competition. But wouldn't it just expand the demographic? A demographic that Nintendo doesn't usually get? People say that they need more hardcore games. Something to appeal to the hardcore audience. Snake is one of those things! He is a character that sells games. He's essentially the "mature" Sonic.
nah I think the reason for Snake concern is partly in the uncertainty of interest from Kojima to keep him in the series. Granted we knew Kojima was interested in adding Snake to Smash but was it just for the initial intrigue or does he plan this to be reoccurring thing? Since Kojima has been the driving force of Snake's inclusion so far these are questions we must ask.

As for Sonic, he returned for the same reason he was initially added, there was phenomenal support thrust behind adding the hedgehog; this wasn't the case with Snake. Granted while Snake has a large fan base both in and out of the smash scene, I am under the impression that they are not as loud and boisterous as say the Sonic and Megaman fans.

And I can say personally that while I feel Snake has some of the more unlikely of odds that this doesn't mean I believe he doesn't have a chance at all. That's the problem with Brawl's roster compared to Melee's. The characters in Brawl are that more relevant and well received then say Melee's clones initially were that thusly even a character that should seem relatively safe isn't necessarily.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Sheik may definitely not return, which is a shame. But considering she hasn't been relevant for a while (except in OoT 3D it's definitely possible. But Jiggs will definitely return, she's been around since N64 days and it seems odd for her not to be in.

Top Bottom