• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Sakurai has stated that there is not enough time to bring back every character, though he really wants to.
If time runs out which characters are at risk?

(Toon Link mains are leaning back with smiles on their faces right now)

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/06/2...e-to-bring-all-characters-back-to-smash-bros/

Guaranteed Returning

:mario2: X
:dk2: X
:link2: X
:samus2: X
:yoshi2: X
:kirby2: X
:fox: X
:pikachu2: X
:luigi2: X
:falcon:
:ness2:
:peach: X
:bowser2: X
:zelda: X
:popo:
:marth: X
:gw:
:pit: X
:diddy: X
:dedede: X
:metaknight:
:wario:

Likely Returning

:jigglypuff:
:falco:
:sonic: X
:sheik: X
:ganondorf:
:olimar: X
:zerosuitsamus: X
:rob:

Danger Zone

:charizard: X
:squirtle:
:ivysaur:
:pt:
:lucas:
:wolf:
:lucario: X
:ike:
:snake:
:toonlink: X

The Graveyard
:mewtwopm:
:roypm:
:drmario:
:younglinkmelee:
:pichumelee:

Last edited:

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
So the general consensus of the ones at risk are:

Snake
Ike
Lucario
Toon Link
Pokemon Trainer
Wolf
Lucas
Jigglypuff
R.O.B.
Falco

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Jigglypuff, much as I hate to say it.

Maybe Lucas and Ike too. Don't know much about the franchise they are from, so I suppose I'm just taking a few guesses here.

Shroob

Sup?
Just Snake for me. The majority of other characters listed here are somewhat unique... Though, if he's going off a story aspect for whatever reason, I could see R.O.B. getting the shaft since the SSE was more or less all about him, and thus his story is 'over'.

I really dislike the idea of Lucas being cut. Mother only has 2 reps as is, that's pretty damn small compared to Star Fox's 3 semi-clones. Not only that, but both Ness and Lucas represent a different part of the trilogy. Same with the Puff. She's been around since Day 1, and while not as iconic in Pokemon now as she was then, you could argue she's almost as iconic to Smash as Captain Falcon is, a guy who hasn't had a new game in what, a decade?

Lucario I don't see leaving either. 6th gen did nothing but boost his popularity higher than it already was with his ridiculously powerful Mega-Evolution.

Last edited:

Networker1

Smash Journeyman

Snake
Ike
Lucario
Toon Link
Pokemon Trainer
Wolf
Lucas
Jigglypuff
R.O.B.
Falco
I don't see Falco in trouble, he has been in 2 smash games already, also I believe Pokémon Trainer is here to stay.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Aren't these topics not allowed?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

Snake
Ike
Lucario
Toon Link
Pokemon Trainer
Wolf
Lucas
Jigglypuff
R.O.B.
Falco
The only ones I see are Snake and Ike. But that's implying that they're even considering cutting. For all we know, Everyone (including the cut ones from Melee) are in and then some...

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
The only ones I see are Snake and Ike. But that's implying that they're even considering cutting. For all we know, Everyone (including the cut ones from Melee) are in and then some...
Even if Young Link has a mask swapping ability we do not need 3 Links.
Pichu was a 2nd gen fad.
Dr. Mario can easily just be a costume.

Mewtwo has the best chance.
Roy is iffy. He needs a completely new moveset.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom

Snake
Ike
Lucario
Toon Link
Pokemon Trainer
Wolf
Lucas
Jigglypuff
R.O.B.
Falco
You realize that if every character on that list is cut hypothetically, Pikachu would be the only rep for Pokemon unless Mewtwo came back. Even still, that ties the Pokemon franchise with Fire Emblem and Mother. It's scary to think about.

Anyways, on that note, why is Pokemon Trainer speculated to be cut so much?! Next to Pikachu, he's the face of Pokemon. If he left, there would be a giant gap that could never be filled. I highly doubt they'd replace him with a new trainer, his Pokemon are extremely iconic, more people recognize them than arguably Jigglypuff. OK then, that's the end of my little rant.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Even if Young Link has a mask swapping ability we do not need 3 Links.
Pichu was a 2nd gen fad.
Dr. Mario can easily just be a costume.

Mewtwo has the best chance.
Roy is iffy. He needs a completely new moveset.
I know, I was saying that it's not like Sakurai has said they're cuts. Sure, we can assume. But until we see the final roster I think it's best to wait on cuts...

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
You realize that if every character on that list is cut hypothetically, Pikachu would be the only rep for Pokemon unless Mewtwo came back. Even still, that ties the Pokemon franchise with Fire Emblem and Mother. It's scary to think about.

Anyways, on that note, why is Pokemon Trainer speculated to be cut so much?! Next to Pikachu, he's the face of Pokemon. If he left, there would be a giant gap that could never be filled. I highly doubt they'd replace him with a new trainer, his Pokemon are extremely iconic, more people recognize them than arguably Jigglypuff. OK then, that's the end of my little rant.

Remember I am only adding characters that have been on many people's list on this forum.
My personal list only consists of Snake and Ike.

Obviously not every character on that list will be cut...
Those are just the characters who are in the danger zone.
Many people on this forum want to see newer generation being used by the Trainer.

No Control

Smash Apprentice
I would say the most at risk are...

1. Snake. Lots of reasons for this, mainly that he is a bit of an "odd-one-out" third party who has little to do with Nintendo and seemed to be added just because of Kojima's requesting of him.
2. Wolf. Clones have been low priority in the past, and there's already one Fox clone in Falco (who I believe is now relatively safe).
3. Lucas. Again, is a clone character, making him fairly low priority I'd imagine (especially as his game is no longer recent/needing promoting).

All three non-confirmed Pokemon veterans (Lucario, Jiggs, PT) are also at risk, likely in that order (from most to least), but I very much doubt that more than one of them will be cut, if any are.

EDIT: Following on from what PikaJew has said, PT will definitely not get cut entirely I'd imagine (as the face of Pokemon after Pikachu), but may get a different set of Pokemon (though I'm about 90% he'll remain relatively unchanged to be honest).

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127

Snake
Ike
Lucario
Toon Link
Pokemon Trainer
Wolf
Lucas
Jigglypuff
R.O.B.
Falco
Snake is really in danger because of the drastic reworking of the character recently.

Ike is gone. Outta here not even worth discussing.

Lucario might get the slip to make room for Mewtwo.

Pokemon Trainer is totally coming back.

Sakurai loves Star Fox.

Mother 3 was featured far too prominently in the last game to lose a playable character in this one.

Original 12. Not budging.

"Hey let's ditch an entirely original moveset on a very unique piece of hardware". He'll stay.

If they made it from Melee to Brawl they are here to stay. I stand by that rule. Also Star Fox.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I would say the most at risk are...

1. Snake. Lots of reasons for this, mainly that he is a bit of an "odd-one-out" third party who has little to do with Nintendo and seemed to be added just because of Kojima's requesting of him.
2. Wolf. Clones have been low priority in the past, and there's already one Fox clone in Falco (who I believe is now relatively safe).
3. Lucas. Again, is a clone character, making him fairly low priority I'd imagine (especially as his game is no longer recent/needing promoting).

All three non-confirmed Pokemon veterans (Lucario, Jiggs, PT) are also at risk, likely in that order (from most to least), but I very much doubt that more than one of them will be cut, if any are.

EDIT: Following on from what PikaJew has said, PT will definitely not get cut entirely I'd imagine (as the face of Pokemon after Pikachu), but may get a different set of Pokemon (though I'm about 90% he'll remain relatively unchanged to be honest).
Okay first of all, Wolf and Lucas are not clones. From Smashwiki:
Lucas:
SmashWiki said:
Lucas' standard attacks are unique with the exception of his down tilt, forward smash, and up aerial (while they have some alteration to their animation, they are identical in function to Ness'). Their special moves however, are very similar in name and appearance, while having similar mechanics but differing functioning. PK Freeze freezes opponents instead of being a very powerful vertical KO move like PK Flash. Lucas' PK Fire differs to the point where it can be argued to not be cloned, as it's a single hit projectile that knocks opponents away, while Ness' hits multiple times and traps opponents (additionally, Lucas' fires his PK Fire with a different animation, and Ness can fire his down diagonally in the air). Lucas' PK Thunder can go through opponents while Ness' doesn't, and his PK Thunder 2 is a multi-hitting move, while Ness' hits once. However, while the similarity in their moveset can be argued to not be quite enough to label them as semi-clones, they have very similar physics, with them having identical size, shape, weight, and falling speed. They additionally both suffer from 10 additional frames of lag when being grab released that no other characters in Brawl suffer from.
And Wolf:
SmashWiki said:
Many newer and/or less knowledgeable players tend to assume Fox and Wolf are semi-clones, or even full clones, due to their special moves and Final Smash being similar (if not identical) in name and mostly identical in operation. However, closer inspection of their full movesets shows that even calling them semi-clones is difficult to rationalize, as the characters' physics are radically different, none of their standard attacks are similar, and even their similarly named special moves aren't exactly cloned moves (their neutral and up specials both function, animate, and look differently).

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
I really think that ROB, Pokemon Trainer, Ike, and Snake are on the line. Intuition tells me that Lucas, Falco a two-game veteran by this point), and even Wolf aren't as near to the chopping block as most might think.

Stphntoth

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamefan1992
3DS FC
4339-2569-8710
Switch FC
8139-1515-0706
My cuts are:
Ice Climbers (Due to Limitations on 3DS)
Ike (Replace by Chrom)= X
Lucario (Mewtwo coming back)=X Lucario is confirmed to be returning
Snake (Favor of new 3rd Party)= Pac-Man confirmed
Lucas
ROB
Wolf

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
They're not full-blown clones, but they're certainly not original characters either. Call them "semi-clones" or whatever, but they're still not exactly unique compared with most of the rest of Brawl's roster.
But that doesn't justify a cut... It'd be like cutting Luigi cause he kinda plays like Mario.
Or cutting Ganondorf because he kinda plays like Captain Falcon.
(I understand they're iconic, but what I'm saying is a cut because of their moveset is ridiculous.) Would they have a lower priority? Sure. But we can't just assume they've been dropped. Don't believe me, look at Toon Link.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Guaranteed Returning

Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ness
Ice Climbers
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
Falco
Mr. Game & Watch
Metaknight
Wario

Likely Returning

Pokemon Trainer
R.O.B.
Sheik
Ganondorf
Zero Suit Samus
Jigglypuff

Danger Zone

Lucas
Wolf
Lucario
Toon Link
Ike
Snake

No Control

Smash Apprentice
But that doesn't justify a cut... It'd be like cutting Luigi cause he kinda plays like Mario.
Or cutting Ganondorf because he kinda plays like Captain Falcon.
(I understand they're iconic, but what I'm saying is a cut because of their moveset is ridiculous.) Would they have a lower priority? Sure. But we can't just assume they've been dropped. Don't believe me, look at Toon Link.
But that's what we're discussing here... We're discussing priority. I wasn't saying I think they deserve to get cut, just that they have a good chance due to being out-prioritised.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be honest...

Toon Link was the only character I felt that could be justifiably cut.

No one else seems like they should....

Hmm......

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Why is Ike in the danger zone? Last I checked, not only was his moveset completely unique (aside from counter) he is also one of the more popular Fire Emblem characters. Why would he be in danger of being removed? Oh well, can't argue with other people's opinions.

If anything, I think Pokemon Trainer is more likely to get cut.

But I think Snake, for sure. There's a bunch of reasons why I think he's cut, and a few of those are business reasons.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
The only characters I see in actual danger are Lucario and Snake, but I wouldn't be surprised if they both returned.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Why is Ike in the danger zone? Last I checked, not only was his moveset completely unique (aside from counter) he is also one of the more popular Fire Emblem characters. Why would he be in danger of being removed? Oh well, can't argue with other people's opinions.

But I think Snake, for sure. There's a bunch of reasons why I think he's cut, and a few of those are business reasons.
I'm trying to get why people think Lucario's out?
And I don't think Pokemon Trainer should be cut. There's a unique idea in him somewhere, it was just lost with all those "gimmicks".

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wolf? You've got to be kidding there. If anything, Wolf should definitely come back, since he is a major character in the Star Fox franchise.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wolf? You've got to be kidding there. If anything, Wolf should definitely come back, since he is a major character in the Star Fox franchise.
Both Falco and Wolf can say that.

I mean Falco is the main sidekick. Wolf is the main rival.

Both are incredibly important.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings

Well it's just if there is room and time to include 3 Fire Emblem characters.
If there are going to be 3, than Ike is a shoe in.
But if there is only going to be 2 slots for a Fire Emblem character, will it create a trend where Marth stays but they cycle out the 2nd option for a newer character. Chrom seems to be the most requested Fire Emblem character on here.

Top Bottom