• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really counting on any cuts in particular. Melee was loaded with obvious cuts in the form of cheap clones added late in development, but Brawl's kind of a different ballgame. Every character has something substantial going for them. And are cuts even going to be necessary, consideirng we've been told to expect fewer newcomers this time around? All in all it's just generally a hard subject to speculate on, as we've only seen it happen once. The only thing we really know is that Sakurai at least intends to bring every character back. But, in the case that cuts are considered...

Snake's only getting cut if Konami is no longer interested in having him in Smash.

Pokemon Trainer is an extremely heavy workload. Sacrificing him could allow for two or three more characters in his stead. Depending on the circumstances, cutting him may be a very appealing option. However, the Kanto starters were recently promoted in X and Y, so he's got that going for him.

Ike's only at risk if an Awakening character gets in the way, but Fire Emblem can stand to gain a third slot to accommodate for that. If it sticks with two slots, though, he could be in trouble.

Lucario's only been promoted more and more over the years, and he's huge in X and Y. He's far from irrelevant or outdated, and there aren't really any noteworthy contenders to take his place. His chances seem pretty solid.

Jiggs was... low priority in Brawl, apparently, which is kind of unsettling...

ROB's probably fine.

Olimar and Rosalina seem to be working just fine, so the Ice Climbers are clear to return.

Lucas is admittedly a sketchy case, but I'm optimistic about his chances. He was intended for Melee and high priority in Brawl (heavily referenced/promoted at that). Granted, he's still a Japan-only character, despite the fantastic promotion Smash Bros gave Mother 3. Now that all traces of hype Mother 3 had are long gone, Lucas is a pretty irrelevant character. If that counts for anything, he may have a pretty harsh dent in his priority. On the other hand, though, I doubt Sakurai would cut Mother's rep count back to just Ness at this point.

Falco getting cut is unlikely. Wolf is a bit shakier. He was apparently very low priority in Brawl, and Star Fox hasn't been doing so hot as of late. I can see Starfox cutting back to two characters a bit more easily than Mother being left with just one, but it still seems kinda off to me. I'm honestly expecting to see the Star Fox trio back for Smash 4, since there's not much else to do with its representation.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly, it is indeed tricky figuring out who is likely to be cut, especially after Toon Link got revealed. Though that said, Sheik and ROB have no real reason to warrant having their chances of coming back questioned, considering that Sheik is one half of Zelda's unique gimmick and Sheik's lack of "relevancy" didn't stop her from being in Brawl. And as for ROB, considering just how important he is to Nintendo history, why would anyone expect him to be low-priority?

Hong

The Strongest
I would be pleasantly surprised to see Ike return. He is my favourite lord after Marth, so of course I still want him, though I can't help but feel that being a middleman in a series with so many characters will have him replaced with Chrom just so the product feels more "new".

We'll see.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Snake first if anything, and that's a high chance of it happening. I don't really need to explain the reasoning for it.

Lucario, I can't say just yet. In Pokemon X/Y he is still shown to be kinda popular... sort of, if you know bout Korrina having 2 of them (one of which she you'll get to keep later), and I still remember some kinda promo that shows Blaziken and Lucario battling in their Mega Forms. I feel this is risky considering how it's either Mewtwo or Lucario, or he may be replaced by another Pokemon, but I can't say anything yet due to the lack of Pokemon info we've been getting lately.

Rather not talk about Ike as I don't understand anything regarding the FE franchise. Someone else is better at discussing it.

That's all that's on my mind atm.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Snake, Lucario Due to being a terrible character design wise, Pokemon trainer, Rob, and Lucas not really that great as well.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think these characters might be likely to go. (Ordered from most likely from my perspective)
  1. Snake
  2. Jigglypuff
  3. Lucas

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
1. Jigglypuff - I just don't think she's relevant anymore, outside of being a SSB veteran. She hasn't even appeared in the anime since the G/S/C era.
2. Captain Falcon - Similar reasons to Jigglypuff. Although he probably has a better chance returning, thanks to his popularity.
3. Snake - I like this guy, but... what was Sakurai thinking?

@TJ, Falcon is definitely coming back. He is the most popular character in Smash, not to mention, essentially there wouldn't be smash bros. Without his design. Also, like I said earlier, the removals have nothing to do with popularity, but time constraints, so characters removed will depend on how tedious it will be to develop them. Jigglypuff seems like she isn't too difficult to make.

Snake in my opinion was a brilliant addition. He 's so radical, but his games are so ridiculous and humorous that he fits right in. He was perfectly designed as a character who's potential is dependent on a player with traps and insane combo set ups. Snake in Metal Gear is a genius, so his play style is so fitting.

Even though Snake can get the boot, I feel like he can return, especially if a character like Mega Man in Smash Bros. who has had every game and potential appearance in games cancelled by Capcom, I'm sure Snake can come back. Ultimately it's up to Sakurai and how much time he has. Not to mention crawling is back, and he's the only character I ever used it with lol

I feel like Ike should stay too personally. His design is really solid. Besides, I'm sure Fire Emblem could have 3 representatives.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pokemon Trainer, Snake, Lucario, Toon Link, Sonic

Kind of the only ones I think should be eligable. Toon Stink is lame. Sonic, and Snake are third parties, and we have a good amount of other Pokemon to choose from.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
You guys do realize that in smash, there's no such thing as relevancy? GF is said to be involved in adding characters, so i'm not sure what will happen in that department, but otherwise only clones have been cut, and Ike, snake, and ROB are some great original characters.

I can only see lucas having trouble getting in a second time, but he started out pretty luigified so i wouldn't say there's no chance. I really could only see PT not making it this time around,With Wolf and lucas being in honorable mentions.
So far, pokemon has had the most cuts. This trend will probably continue due to the constant changing nature of the franchise

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Aye what up shortie. Hey you know Toon Link and Sonic are back right?
He asked if characters needed to be cut, who would they be. I gave him the list. Regardless of weather or not they are coming back, If cuts were going to happen (or did happen) I'm sure they were considered.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I think the ones mainly at risk are Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, Snake, and Lucas. I would hate to see Lucas go too as he was like my third main.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord
1. Snake
2. Lucas
3. Lucario

I'm pretty sure Ike is safe. He was original, excluding the counter, and he is one of the most popular and loved lords. I only see him getting cut die to time restraints

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I still don't think snake will be cut. He's really unique and still a part of nintendo's history

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I would be pleasantly surprised to see Ike return. He is my favourite lord after Marth, so of course I still want him, though I can't help but feel that being a middleman in a series with so many characters will have him replaced with Chrom just so the product feels more "new".

We'll see.
Don't worry man, Ike isn't going anywhere :cool:.

*Sakurai sees this*
Sakurai: Oooohhhh you think you can predict me, silly mortals, we'll see about that..... *delete*

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Just Snake. Maybe Lucas.

As a Pokemon fan, I cannot in good conscience cut Lucario after X and Y. Gamefreak loves the guy. They made him the first Pokemon in canon history to undergo Mega Evolution.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I'm sorry, I like Snake and all. But, how?
Well i guess the original metal gear was more important to kojima then it was for nintendo. The good sales of the first two metal gears on nintendo consoles in america is what eventually led to the metal gear solid series coming over to america. Not to mention Nintendo has gotten remakes of arguably the two best games in the series.

He may not be a big part of nintendo's history, but he still fits in with nintendo characters, and i'd hate to see him go when he somehow got into brawl in the first place

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
So the general consensus of the ones at risk are:

Snake
Ike
Lucario
Toon Link
Pokemon Trainer
Wolf
Lucas
Jigglypuff
R.O.B.
Falco
I disagree with ROB and Falco. ROB just because of a hunch. Falco because he is one of the main characters in Star Fox, if not the secondary fighter altogether. He could easily be de-cloned.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think if you made the jump from Melee to Brawl, you're pretty much guaranteed.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Personally, I'm doubting Snake's chances of reappearing in this game. Not only is he more or less an obscure character to most Nintendo fans, the latest games in the Metal Gear series are currently only for the PS4 and Xbox One, with no plans for release on the Wii U. Also, Sakurai said that while Snake in Brawl was done as a favor to his friend, this time the third party characters have to be "legendary" to Nintendo's history, and Snake is legendary...to Sony's history. He was fun to play as, but keeping him in again would kind of lose the whole idea of rotating third party characters in each subsequent game.

Lucas...I'm skeptical about his chances. Sure I like MOTHER 3, but I think SSB4 should try to cater more to an international audience rather than just the Japanese fanbase, and from what I've heard his game didn't perform so well over there.

Pokemon Trainer is the one character I think has the riskiest chance of being in SSB4, apart from Snake. If he were to be removed, it could help trim the fat off of Brawl's roster and potentially add in more heavily requested characters like Ridley or K. Rool.

Everyone else seems to be OK to me. Jigglypuff in particular seems to be a shoe-in, and I honestly don't know why some people would think she's on the cutting list.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
, this time the third party characters have to be "legendary" to Nintendo's history
He never said this.

He only said "legendary."

Nothing about "legendary to Nintendo."

Snake is legendary. He's got that base covered.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
He never said this.

He only said "legendary."

Nothing about "legendary to Nintendo."

Snake is legendary. He's got that base covered.
True, but how many casual gamers who play Nintendo know about Snake? He's a character largely identified with the Sony PlayStation. To them, Snake is just "that one super secret spy guy with lots of explosive and hides in a box". Mega Man is in because of the franchise's deep history with Nintendo, to the point that Nintendo of America went out of its way to publish the sixth Mega Man game when Capcom was unwilling to do it. Sonic is, well, one of the key figures in the Console Wars during the 1990s when Sega was still making consoles. Also, Sega currently has this partnership deal with Nintendo to develop new games for them on their consoles.

What does Snake have in relation to them? Now I'm not outright condemning the guy and writing him off as a lost cause, he could still get in if Kojima wishes.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
Personally, I'm doubting Snake's chances of reappearing in this game. Not only is he more or less an obscure character to most Nintendo fans, the latest games in the Metal Gear series are currently only for the PS4 and Xbox One, with no plans for release on the Wii U. Also, Sakurai said that while Snake in Brawl was done as a favor to his friend, this time the third party characters have to be "legendary" to Nintendo's history, and Snake is legendary...to Sony's history. He was fun to play as, but keeping him in again would kind of lose the whole idea of rotating third party characters in each subsequent game.
Alright, a few things
1. At the time of brawl, last Nintendo mgs game was gcn, snake eater 3d came after.
2.Snake isn't an obscure character to Nintendo fans, he's in brawl if you haven't noticed
3. Rotating 3rd party characters? what even
4. also remember, sakurai also considers what a character brings to the game when deciding fighters. And snake not only brings his own franchise, but an interesting and methodical smasher with a nice butt

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Alright, a few things
1. At the time of brawl, last Nintendo mgs game was gcn, snake eater 3d came after.
2.Snake isn't an obscure character to Nintendo fans, he's in brawl if you haven't noticed
3. Rotating 3rd party characters? what even
4. also remember, sakurai also considers what a character brings to the game when deciding fighters. And snake not only brings his own franchise, but an interesting and methodical smasher with a nice butt
We really have to wait and see with Snake, he's in a weird position.

On one hand he has a unique moveset and reps a whole new franchise, but on the other he is a 3rd party character. Smash Bros is different from other fighters I know, but games like Soul Calibur have one-shot 3rd parties all the time. Despite how interesting characters like Spawn, Link, The Apprentice, Yoda, and the others are they don't carry over in favor of other guests.

You have to remember that guests are usually fairly popular characters, so I know no one wants to see them go. Although if they're not cut, there would start to be an overabundance of 3rd parties, which would defeat the purpose of a Nintendo fighting game (Sakurai said he didn't want many 3rd parties).

EDIT: No one better have ninja quoted me before I could ninja my mistake......that doesn't need to be mentioned >.> <.<

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Well the issue with Snake is how is he going to get announced. It has to be a notable reveal because he's third party like Sonic and Mega Man. Mega Man got a trailer because he's new, and Sonic got revealed in a Nintendo Direct with a few gameplay clips because he's a veteran and he had Sonic Lost World coming up. If we are to believe there are patterns that have to be followed, we should assume that Snake will be revealed in a Nintendo Direct in a way similar to Sonic. But Sonic got that time in the spotlight in part to promote a new game for a Nintendo console. A neat advertisement opportunity for Sega. What does Konami have in store for Nintendo consoles? Not a Metal Gear Solid game as far as we know.

So Snake fans, you better be hoping Konami is making MGS for a Nintendo console (3DS most likely) if you want to convince people he's still in. Otherwise, a quiet, Konami-endorsed Snake reveal without a promotional tie to it will be a complete surprise.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
If Solid Snake does end up on the cutting room floor, it would more-than-likely be a result of either 1) Masahiro Sakurai relegating him towards a rotational swap-a-character role for third-party intellectual property (Mega Man, for instance), or 2) the special offer Sakurai granted Hideo Kojima would only last for Super Smash Brothers Brawl.

However, Snake's disappearance would almost certainly not be a result of corporate-business competition between Nintendo and Konami (considering the Metal Gear Solid series is more associated with Sony's Playstation than Nintendo). If this were to be, Snake would have never been introduced in Brawl in the first place; he is a special-case character for that specific reason.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Lucas, Wolf and Snake are in the most danger. After that I'd say Lucario and Ike.....

Outside of those five I'm not really concerned.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Snake should be the 1st to be cut, he's cool and all, but no way him getting in and Lucas or Wolf out.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I personally see no cuts, for many reasons.
Ike: FE can spare 3 slots, and is a likely phenomenon. At two slots, he edges to the danger zone, but in my eyes, we will get Marth, Ike, and Robin.
Lucario: X and Y saved him like it did Mewtwo. A mega evolution and emphasized in game as your first mega evolution? Seems safer.
Pokemon Trainer: The Kanto Starters are more important in X and Y than the Kalos starters. And Charizard. Poularity alone can save him, and remember, Sakurai must like the idea, he chose it over Mewtwo.
Lucas: Mother going backwards to 1 rep is flat out odd. Its not like Mario going down from 5 to 4 when Doc was a flat out reskin of Mario.
ROB: Historical character, unique, only issue is his hatebase due to speculation scars
Wolf: Krystal will not be in. As such, it will most likely be 3 reps, and Wolf will stay. He is popular in Japan after all.
Snake: Only cut if Konami has no interest. Seems like a radical idea, akin to Lucas cut.

Why Melee cuts, sans Mewtwo,were predicted.
Roy: Outdated, not important to overall series, clone
Pichu: Despised, clone
Doc: Complete Clone,

YL=TL

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I think Wolf and Lucas...and unfortunately Snake...
I can't understand the people that think Sakurai would cut out one of the original 12, respect your elders, people!

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
I really don't see Ike, R.O.B. or Wolf getting cut. They're all quite significant in what they represent. I'm also pained whenever someone asks for Wolf to get cut because he's a "clone"...

Those who I can imagine getting cut are Snake. Lucario and Pokémon Trainer is a big gray area for me as it's not fully Sakurai's decision anyway.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I guess the 5 we've been seeing have some chances of being cut: Lucas, Lucario, Snake, Wolf, and Ike. But I feel their positives will most likely outshine the negatives, but I am prepared if one or more of these characters do not make the cut, as I think if there were it'd have to be them. But Brawl's roster was near perfect, so it'd be difficult to figure out who should be cut: they all have merits.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I had an idea of who was getting cut when SSB4 was first announced, I felt that it would be Snake, Ike, Lucario, Toon Link, Lucas, and one of either Falco or Wolf. A lot of people suggest that Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, and R.O.B. will be cut, but I have always thought that they were safe, simply because they all bring completely unique fighting styles to the table. Additionally Pokemon Trainer uses three Pokemon that everybody knows, which I feel is important because not everybody who plays Smash knows what the sixth gen starters are, but everybody knows who Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle are. Jigglypuff, while not really all that relevant in the anime anymore, is quite popular as a Smash character. While she wasn't that great in Brawl, she was amazing in Melee if I recall, and again, to see her cut would mean that a completely unique fighting style is gone. R.O.B.'s importance has been beaten to death on this thread. He's not going anywhere.

Now, as for the characters on my pre neo-dojo list, Toon Link has been revealed and is still a Link clone, as much as that irritates me. With the release of X and Y, I don't think Lucario is going anywhere, he was way more important than Mewtwo in the story, I don't think Mewtwo is as sure of a shot as some people on here might think.

That leaves Snake, Lucas, Ike, and Falco/Wolf. It still think that, even though he is unique, Nintendo/Sakuri might not be able to get permission to use Snake this time. I also think there are plenty of characters that could use his moveset, such as Jeff. Lucas, while repping Mother 3, has a chance of being cut, because I think they might try to rep the game in that series, Mother 2/Earthbound, that has the most international recognition. Mother will always be important to Smash, however, arguments of relevancy in reference to what characters will get in are moot at this point, the series is finished. It doesn't matter which game came out when, it's a dead series at this point, so if it gets characters, they should be characters that are more universally known, also, if there is another Mother 2 character in Smash, it could boost sales of Earthbound on the VC, which helps Nintendo.

Ike will, unfortunately, likely be removed in favor of a different character(s) in the FE series. They did the same with Roy from Melee to Brawl and I don't think Ike's presence in two games will help his stay, as we already have Marth as the series mascot. I believe we will see Chrom, and possibly a popular character from the series past, such as Lyn. As for Falco and Wolf, while all three Star Fox characters do play differently, I think having two semi-clones in that series is good enough, and Sakuri has a valid character choice he can add for that series that is completely unique: Krystal.

Top Bottom