• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Prejudices aside, if a few characters need to be cut who will they be?

Waluridleykryrool

Smash Journeyman
Falco- I personally think an antagonist/rival is more important representation than the sidekick.

Jigglypuff- Smash has acted as a kind of life support for jigglypuff for a good while, time to pull the plug and aknowledge the other five generations of pokemon.

Ivysaur, and Squirtle- while charizard has the fame (and mega evolution) to go solo, the other two sadly don't and again it would be nice to see less focus on gen 1 in smash. Charizard, Pikachu and Mewtwo cover the essentials from gen 1 anyway

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Falco- I personally think an antagonist/rival is more important representation than the sidekick.

Jigglypuff- Smash has acted as a kind of life support for jigglypuff for a good while, time to pull the plug and aknowledge the other five generations of pokemon.

Ivysaur, and Squirtle- while charizard has the fame (and mega evolution) to go solo, the other two sadly don't and again it would be nice to see less focus on gen 1 in smash. Charizard, Pikachu and Mewtwo cover the essentials from gen 1 anyway
It's really unfair to just give the spot to charizard the pokemon trainer represents the series better than any single pokemon does cause he's the guy you play as and I don't think Jiggs is gonna get cut, she's popular enough and would be a fairy type rep which makes it relevant again, so why replace it?

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I can say these two things for sure:

- It's not going to be any character of the original 12 (and it won't feel like Smash if that happens [inb4 who cares]).
- It's probably less cuts, and most of them are from the Brawl roster.

With that in mind (and opinion is opinion), here are my insane and wacky choices:

Meta Knight - No offense, but I don't think we need 3 Kirby characters when two of them are most potent to the series, which is Kirby and D3 respectfully.

Ike - Although much less of a clone that Roy was to Marth in Melee, more than likely he'll be replaced with one of the newer FE characters (especially in Awakening).

PKMN Trainer - A great idea, but fall very short thanks to the fatigue mechanic. Unless fixed in the upcoming Smash, I can see other Pokemon reps fairing better than him.

I would say Lucas, but it's difficult to say since both Lucas and Ness are decent and memorable Mother main characters. So it'll less likely to happen to either of them.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I can say these two things for sure:

- It's not going to be any character of the original 12 (and it won't feel like Smash if that happens [inb4 who cares]).
- It's probably less cuts, and most of them are from the Brawl roster.

With that in mind (and opinion is opinion), here are my insane and wacky choices:

Meta Knight - No offense, but I don't think we need 3 Kirby characters when two of them are most potent to the series, which is Kirby and D3 respectfully.

Ike - Although much less of a clone that Roy was to Marth in Melee, more than likely he'll be replaced with one of the newer FE characters (especially in Awakening).

PKMN Trainer - A great idea, but fall very short thanks to the fatigue mechanic. Unless fixed in the upcoming Smash, I can see other Pokemon reps fairing better than him.

I would say Lucas, but I would weirdly say get rid of Ness since Mother 3 was the latest game in the series, which isn't happening.
Why get rid of meta knight, he is pretty popular and is important to the kirby series which can have 3 reps if star fox can, Ike is the second most important fire emblem character, he is unique, popular and is one of the 2 to have more than one game, while chrom and lucina are marths descendants that use the same sword as him and are just perfect clone material. Pokemon trainer represents the series better than any single pokemon can, they are popular, iconic and unique plus people would be pissed off if they got rid of charizard he is one of the most popular pokemon ever. At this point I don't think there will be any cuts

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Why get rid of meta knight, he is pretty popular and is important to the kirby series which can have 3 reps if star fox can, Ike is the second most important fire emblem character, he is unique, popular and is one of the 2 to have more than one game, while chrom and lucina are marths descendants that use the same sword as him and are just perfect clone material. Pokemon trainer represents the series better than any single pokemon can, they are popular, iconic and unique plus people would be pissed off if they got rid of charizard he is one of the most popular pokemon ever. At this point I don't think there will be any cuts
This is why I said opinion is opinion. The rate this is going, the roster is almost an obvious guessing game with most of the remaining characters in silhouettes poses.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
- Ike
- Wolf
- Lucas
- R.O.B.

These four are doomed.
- Ike is the second most important fire emblem character, he is unique, popular and is one of the 2 to have more than one game, while chrom and lucina are marths descendants that use the same sword as him and are just perfect clone material.
- Wolf is the only villain you can get from the starfox series (and god knows we need more of those) and he is way more unique and important to the series than falco, so if anything cut him
- People liked lucas in brawl and he is still the most recent mother protagonist
- R.O.B. is an important part of nintendo's history helping the NES survive and he is incredibly unique so why get rid of him
All these characters had their reasons to be included in brawl and we shouldn't just forget that, they didn't get rid of mr.game & watch in brawl so why remove rob. Right now it's looking as every brawl character is gonna return

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
Lucas MIGHT be. I know he is the star of the most recent, but still.
Wolf I'm leaning on yes. He's similar to Fox, and has no reason to stay unlike Lucas.
Snake, probably. He just seems Brawl exclusive.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Lucas MIGHT be. I know he is the star of the most recent, but still.
Wolf I'm leaning on yes. He's similar to Fox, and has no reason to stay unlike Lucas.
Snake, probably. He just seems Brawl exclusive.
well wolf is a villain and we do need more of those and I love how people complain that there aren't enough and then remove wolf.
Snake is also a unique character and would be a waste to lose as that's even less advertisement for the game and snake is a huge 3rd party character

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You know what really bugs me in general? The fact that too many people actually see ROB, of all characters, as being in danger, despite his importance to Nintendo history combined with his uniqueness making him an obvious mainstay material instead of a one-time gimmick character. With characters like Wolf and Lucas, I can at least understand somewhat why they could easily be in danger of being cut due to time constraints. With ROB, there is absolutely nothing that justified this theory that he could be in danger.

Considering that Sakurai showed that he is not being as liberal with cuts as people believe, if there is going to be cuts, don't expect ROB to be on the chopping block at all, essentially being the Mr.G&W of Brawl. And we all know how much in "danger" he was of getting cut.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Rosalina's confirmation would say otherwise about this matter.
How are the two connected?
No way they are already really different and both incredibly poster
They're not gonna do 6 Pokemon characters, Pikachu and Jigglypuff aren't going anywhere and someone from the new gen will probably come in.

Clarification: I really hope I'm wrong.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
How are the two connected?

They're not gonna do 6 Pokemon characters, Pikachu and Jigglypuff aren't going anywhere and someone from the new gen will probably come in.
There is no pokemon to add from the new gen, the only ones that are up played are the starters (which are outshined by the kanto starters and their megas) and the legendaries

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
There is no pokemon to add from the new gen, the only ones that are up played are the starters (which are outshined by the kanto starters and their megas) and the legendaries
I hope you're right I really do but I don't think you will be.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Just because Lucario returns, it doesn't automatically deconfirm Mewtwo.
Really, having Lucario revealed before Pokemon Trainer should be more worrisome.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
If the Mario franchise can have five reps, so can the Pokemon franchise. Of course, the Pokemon Trainer does make things quite complicated with the Pokemon representation.
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario

Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo
New Pokemon

It's basically a game of choose which of the last 3 aren't in.

Pokemon Trainer is one character officially so I'm keeping it that way.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario

Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo
New Pokemon

It's basically a game of choose which of the last 3 aren't in.

Pokemon Trainer is one character officially so I'm keeping it that way.
The new pokemon character won't be in it cause you know there aren't any to add

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Sakurai has made it clear that he hates cutting characters. But if anyone had to go it would be :snake:because Sakurai doesn't have a lot of say in if he goes or not, so that is Kojima's decision and since Kojima seems to dislike the Wii U the solid solider may not see the light of day :cry:.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Sakurai has made it clear that he hates cutting characters. But if anyone had to go it would be :snake:because Sakurai doesn't have a lot of say in if he goes or not, so that is Kojima's decision and since Kojima seems to dislike the Wii U the solid solider may not see the light of day :cry:.
He doesn't dislike the wiiu, when asked he only said if he were to make a game for it they would have to make good use of the wiiu pad. One of the reasons the current games aren't on there is that they had started development on them way before wiiu dev kits were out there, so it's obviously not something they had planned out. Konami likes money so they would if they could and mgs5 or a collection could still be possible. I doubt Kojima would be opposed to snake getting exposure once again, especially if sakurai asked him.

Morbi

Scavenger
I think his reveal gave a bigger chance for Ike, wolf and lucas to come back
Not really, it just changed our perception of the issue. Although I have never personally thought that Ike, Wolf, or Lucario were likely cuts in the slightest. Neither did I assume that Toon Link was a feasible cut. My cut list has always been Pokemon Trainer, Snake, and Lucas. However, recently I have decided to remove Lucas from that list. He was mostly there for a 3rd character in the list. I do not actually believe he will be cut though, he is just next-in-line (IMO).

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Really, not saying that I want him to be cut, but besides Snake, Pokemon Trainer is most likely to go. Don't think that the 3DS can handle it, I mean, didn't he lag a lot when switching pokemon in brawl's online? ...I mean, yeah, Brawl's online lagged horribley in general, but wasn't Pokemon Trainer's switch one of the more nastier things from it?
Plus, it'd be easier to remove a 3-in-1 character than just 3 characters.

Morbi

Scavenger
Really, not saying that I want him to be cut, but besides Snake, Pokemon Trainer is most likely to go. Don't think that the 3DS can handle it, I mean, didn't he lag a lot when switching pokemon in brawl's online? ...I mean, yeah, Brawl's online lagged horribley in general, but wasn't Pokemon Trainer's switch one of the more nastier things from it?
Plus, it'd be easier to remove a 3-in-1 character than just 3 characters.
I am not sure, I believe that Ice Climbers caused the most overt lag; so if he manages gets them to work, I have no doubt that Pokemon Trainer will work. However, I also advocate Pokemon Trainer's cut (I am probably his loudest opposition). Not only does Charizard represent everything Pokemon Trainer does (minus the Trainer aspect), but he is the character that got the other characters considered as it was. I interpret it like this, if two veterans are cut, like Wolf and Ike, I am going to blame Pokemon Trainer. You alienate 2 fan-bases, 2 characters that play completely differently, for the sake of keeping one that no one wants to return (without major revisions to his mechanics). That isn't logical.

Pokemon Trainer and Snake are some of the only rational cuts (evidence based cuts). The rest are cut for silly reasons like irrelevant series or pseudo-clone status.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
This is why I think Jigglypuff is the most likely character to be cut, if there are cuts. She is seen as a joke character, (not just by fans, but by Sakurai too) she was low priority in Brawl, the other Pokemon characters are probably higher priority than Jigglypuff, The Pokemon Company/Game Freak probably aren't going to be pushing for her to be in, unlike the other veterans, (they chose Pokemon based on who's hot right now, the other veterans and Mewtwo are, Jigglypuff isn't) she probably only got in over Mewtwo because she takes less time/is easier to make, she doesn't have any notable significance to the Pokemon series, she has a very bland moveset, she isn't nearly as popular as she used to be, she isn't all that relevant anymore, and she is disliked by many people. The bad points outweigh the good points, I mean if Sakurai could only chose between Jigglypuff and Wario do you really think Jigglypuff would be added over him just for the sake of tradition? There are more important characters to bring back then Jigglypuff, she's never been cut before, but there's a first time for everything, things change.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
This is why I think Jigglypuff is the most likely character to be cut, if there are cuts. She is seen as a joke character, (not just by fans, but by Sakurai too) she was low priority in Brawl, the other Pokemon characters are probably higher priority than Jigglypuff, The Pokemon Company/Game Freak probably aren't going to be pushing for her to be in, unlike the other veterans, (they chose Pokemon based on who's hot right now, the other veterans and Mewtwo are, Jigglypuff isn't) she probably only got in over Mewtwo because she takes less time/is easier to make, she doesn't have any notable significance to the Pokemon series, she has a very bland moveset, she isn't nearly as popular as she used to be, she isn't all that relevant anymore, and she is disliked by many people. The bad points outweigh the good points, I mean if Sakurai could only chose between Jigglypuff and Wario do you really think Jigglypuff would be added over him just for the sake of tradition? There are more important characters to bring back then Jigglypuff, she's never been cut before, but there's a first time for everything, things change.
If Jiggly is cut, I think Sylveon should replace her.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I am not sure, I believe that Ice Climbers caused the most overt lag; so if he manages gets them to work, I have no doubt that Pokemon Trainer will work. However, I also advocate Pokemon Trainer's cut (I am probably his loudest opposition). Not only does Charizard represent everything Pokemon Trainer does (minus the Trainer aspect), but he is the character that got the other characters considered as it was. I interpret it like this, if two veterans are cut, like Wolf and Ike, I am going to blame Pokemon Trainer. You alienate 2 fan-bases, 2 characters that play completely differently, for the sake of keeping one that no one wants to return (without major revisions to his mechanics). That isn't logical.
Whoa sorry but I'm going to have to respectively disagree with this. The first issue is assuming that Wolf and Ike's attendance is based solely on the appearance of the Pokemon trainer. The problem with this is the three could easily all be removed or that they could all three appear. Sakurai could remove both Wolf and Ike not because of lack of time but because he is more interested in a couple potential newcomers. He could remove them because of some unforeseen technical issue. There are a whole variety of variables that goes into characters joining or getting cut. Granted time may be the biggest factor; however it is not the only one. Anyways it's not just these select few that will be in the roster but rather the complete 35+ so the decision is based on the comparison of these characters with every other character revealed so far.

The second problem is that you assume that the only true deserving characters in PTs package is Charizard and the trainer himself. The problem with this is that while Charizard may have the most adamant fans it does not mean the other two don't have fans that could rival the orange lizard. I myself am a huge squirtle advocate (still my no.1 pokemon) and he was always my dream character for smash. I thought I would just want to play as the tiny turtle himself but after playing PT, I personally don't care for the idea (I think project M made a mistake with this). In turn I always thought the bulbasaur line was the weakest in support but lately I've come to realize that more people preferred that pokemon line than I could ever imagine. Out of the nine friends I have closeby that bought X and Y, 5 of them picked Bulbasaur, 3 of them picked charmander and 2 of the picked squirtle (if I include myself).

But that's not all, I believe I am safe to safe to say that a majority of the kids in the 90s that had the game and a link capable ended up having the three starters on their team in generation 1. Furthermore the evolutions of the starters were the advertisement on the front of the box. Each of these three pokemon greatly represent the franchise in ways other pokemon simply cannot. They represent the choice you have every game in choosing one of three pokemon (though I'll agree this was poorly implemented in Brawl) as well as the transition in evolution (as Brawl at three different evolutionary states). These pokemon were the first creatures most fans had the pleasure of fighting with, they were the very first impression of the game (All three, not just charizard).

Anyways having said that, I implore you to not take my response as an attack or an implication of trying to start an argument, I just wanted to show the other side of the story. It's really frustrating when a character you thoroughly enjoy is constantly attacked by a large portion of the fan base. I don't understand it really. Still if you're not a fan that's cool, hate all you want. However don't blame one character for the exclusion of another; someone's not going to make it, that's the truth behind the matter. However, having disgruntled fans reflect their hate on your character is just uncool; I can imagine most Lucario fans can attest to this.

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
Wario should be cut because his name rhymes with Mario.
So should Lucario :troll:

-----------------------------------

Right now, on the fence are probably :wolf::snake::rob:.

To a lesser degree, it's then :jigglypuff::pt: and maybe :sheik:.

Somewhere in between I'd put:lucas:.

SPEAKING OF :jigglypuff:...

I've been concerned for a while thinking she'd be cut, but Sakurai probably wouldn't do that at this point. It's too late in the series to get rid of this character, and if this were Melee, it might have been acceptable.

I know Sakurai refers to the original eight in many event matches and stuff, but he's also mentioned the unlockables from the first game as the "hidden four" in Brawl's event mode, which leads me to believe he's probably not going to cut any of them since he acknowledged their existence as "secret perfect attendees." He knows they have a fanbase out there that wants to continue playing as these characters in the new generation of Smash Bros.

These guys aren't going anywhere.

Another thing people note is that Jigglypuff was low priority in Brawl. I think this might be why this isn't necessarily true:
Jigglypuff was added in late knowing it would be quick and easy to port the character from Melee and make substantial changes (damn you Brawl Rest...) The dev. team thought Jigglypuff as well as Toon Link and Wolf would be done in time for Brawl's 2007 release, and knowing that it couldn't be done, delayed the game to finish the last three characters.

Well that's my two cents.

Top Bottom