• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound V Brawl Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

TP

Smash Master
you paid for my anology? wheres my money

and either way you got a hooker :troll:

doom i dont think you are bad, but i do agree with you for one thing: haters gonna hate
I used an intentionally bad analogy to get people to start thinking about the merits of the analogies they read. :troll:

Coney

Smash Master
d1aos being better than doom is certainly not a fact, this implies maximum player potential which is hilariously irrelevant and impossible to determine

however, unless doom actually did 2-0 adhd, d1aos PERFORMED better than doom in that particular circumstance. that's what matters, PERFORMING well. i just really, really, really disagree with someone PERFORMING well enough to advance and then not

like, who are you to take that away from them? i feel like this is a part of that whole "brawl star" mentality everyone pretends to hate but then puts up with, like people who say they'll dq top players and then don't when they show up an hour late

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I guess i just thing stingy cause when any of my friends here in FL have to waste at least 400 dollars total to go to a tourney, and i personally have the power to let them advance more, imma do it.

Then again, my friends from smash become my friends outside of smash as well, and i always look out for my friends in any way that i can. Thats just me

And trust me guys, ive definitely been on this guy's end of the stick too (not getting out of a pool because #1 seed was friends with the guy behind me and let him win so i didnt get out), but you know what, its something i expect a friend to do for another in that situation. Definitely not gonna start beef between friends over 1 little videogame and some random ***** i dont know.

For the record, I have no ill will towards anyone who thinks opposite of me, and i dont think any of you are bad people. I just dont agree with your thinking here

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Uh, I'm with Trent/Sonics, the D3 main, Jayford and TwilightGanon on this one. Especially the hooker part. This is stupid, how can people seriously say cheating is okay in competition? This isn't the NFL where "Everyone cheats". This is video games, this is for nerds who can't do anything but press buttons. And you are going to say it's okay to screw some random over just because your bad friend paid money for a trip somewhere. Apparently the midwest is the only place with rationality and pride.

Cook

Smash Master
Am I the only one who noticed exactly how awful this analogy was? This analogy was like paying for a $1,000 hooker and getting a $20 hooker instead.
Lol, I def noticed that also but I wasn't gonna say anything. But now I have!

Bad analogies just bother me a lot more than they should (which is pretty annoying, because almost every analogy is really bad, lol).

Also, this thread has gotten pretty entertaining. I have to say I side with the Sonics here also, but I would be lying if I said I haven't suggested throwing matches to get someone out of pools before. Of course, it's not quite as bad at a local as it is at a national where people want to be able to say they made bracket (especially with mid-tier characters), but it is still bad and now that I've been given reason to think things over a bit and see why it's wrong I certainly won't be doing it again.

That said, D1A0S plays Sonic, who is an extremely annoying character, so he probably didn't deserve to get out. Plus, Doom is certainly quite handsome, and attractive people deserve better treatment imo. So it's hard to say that ADHD really did anything wrong, especially since he is a homosexual, and those appreciate handsome men. They're even both close to the same age!

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Coney... Bad statement.

Lain got DQ'd and he is basically a "brawl star"

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Sounds good, we'll split the $50 and then I'll have another salty Sonic main to buy compensatory chili dogs for.
I take offense to this lol

but srsly I'm upset as the next guy for a Sonic main NOT makin it out of pools

all we had as KID

BUt so WHAT??? I'd srsly help my friend all day. Thats what you do in a competition. Tesh is a cool person and lets say he was in pools with a Diddy main with me like LIE (I think he mains diddy) and lets jus say that Tesh isnt good against LIE's playing style but I beat LIE. Of course Imma help out Tesh 2 get out of the pools bcuz I wud want him 2 make it into the bracket.

And what matters most is making it to FINAL BRACKET!!!

Where I come from your friends are your friends and yaw always have each others backs. **** ya enemys cuz @ da end of the day it takes more than just 1 person to win a tourney. Each player represents the friends he's collected and the experiences that he has had.

:sonic:

Jayford

Smash Lord
I guess i just thing stingy cause when any of my friends here in FL have to waste at least 400 dollars total to go to a tourney, and i personally have the power to let them advance more, imma do it.

Then again, my friends from smash become my friends outside of smash as well, and i always look out for my friends in any way that i can. Thats just me

And trust me guys, ive definitely been on this guy's end of the stick too (not getting out of a pool because #1 seed was friends with the guy behind me and let him win so i didnt get out), but you know what, its something i expect a friend to do for another in that situation. Definitely not gonna start beef between friends over 1 little videogame and some random ***** i dont know.

For the record, I have no ill will towards anyone who thinks opposite of me, and i dont think any of you are bad people. I just dont agree with your thinking here
You should play super friend brothers where no one loses. Honestly you're a ****ty friend if you do this. Your friends aren't advancing further because of their ability and you're robbing them the satisfaction that comes with hard work and practice.

Coney

Smash Master
Coney... Bad statement.

Lain got DQ'd and he is basically a "brawl star"
i'm not talking about this one tournament in particular, though, i'm just talking about the general idea of making special amenities for top players and the bizarre sense of entitlement that comes with being "good"

understandable, i didn't even consider the cost

but let's flip the circumstances--what if, by some bizarre twist of fate, you could screw over a socal player from getting out of pools? he obviously paid much more than you or your friend, does money matter then?

-Googs

Smash Lord

Where I come from your friends are your friends and yaw always have each others backs. **** ya enemys cuz @ da end of the day it takes more than just 1 person to win a tourney. Each player represents the friends he's collected and the experiences that he has had.

this is why i hate sonic mains.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
You should play super friend brothers where no one loses. Honestly you're a ****ty friend if you do this. Your friends aren't advancing further because of their ability and you're robbing them the satisfaction that comes with hard work and practice.
lol who said i dont play my friends hard mode when we're at home?

I can play my *** off and play hard and **** the **** out of my friend in brawl when we are at home, when we both didnt travel and toss alot of other things aside just to make ourselves able to attend this tourney.

I dont get it. Is it a foreign concept to help your friends who've you known longer than anyone else at the tourney do better because you have the ability? Do only black people understand this concept? I really dont get it. someone halp

Coney

Smash Master
I dont get it. Is it a foreign concept to help your friends who've you known longer than anyone else at the tourney do better because you have the ability? Do only black people understand this concept? I really dont get it. someone halp
it's understandable, it's just ****ty. it just promotes the whole clique-y, high school, popularity contest bull**** when it should be about the competition.

Tesh

Smash Hero

but srsly I'm upset as the next guy for a Sonic main NOT makin it out of pools

all we had as KID

BUt so WHAT??? I'd srsly help my friend all day. Thats what you do in a competition. Tesh is a cool person and lets say he was in pools with a Diddy main with me like LIE (I think he mains diddy) and lets jus say that Tesh isnt good against LIE's playing style but I beat LIE. Of course Imma help out Tesh 2 get out of the pools bcuz I wud want him 2 make it into the bracket.

And what matters most is making it to FINAL BRACKET!!!

Thats nice and all, but its a competition. I wouldn't do the same for you. There isn't really any way I could be sure you are sandbagging me, but I wouldn't agree to something like that.

You know what I would do for you? I'd give you some tips beforehand so maybe you make it out legit. If your friend's performance is important to you, you should help him improve as a player. Don't take the lazy way out and cheat. Because when he finds himself in someone else's pool, your "help" will be of no use to him.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
I tried to intentionally keep friends away from each other to avoid this

But ill honestly say there is nothing I can do to stop wyatt from using jigglypuff or some stupid character in pools. He did this to me at my tournament and I almost beat him. It didn't affect who got out but it would have been stupid for someone's bracket.

I will not enforce this because that is arbitrary. The only thing I can do is have them play first before any other sets take place, which I can enforce in the future.

Jayford

Smash Lord
lol who said i dont play my friends hard mode when we're at home?

I can play my *** off and play hard and **** the **** out of my friend in brawl when we are at home, when we both didnt travel and toss alot of other things aside just to make ourselves able to attend this tourney.

Playing at home is completely different then playing in a tournament. The whole point of a tournament is to win on a level playing field using your abilities. When you rig pools and throw matches it doesn't create a level playing field. Thus, your friends aren't seeing how good they are and how much they have improved. I understand wanting to help your friends, but this is a competition and not you guys just playing friendlies. I mean if you want to make sure your friends are having an even better time at the tourney you can give them a hand job outside the venue too.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i'm not talking about this one tournament in particular, though, i'm just talking about the general idea of making special amenities for top players and the bizarre sense of entitlement that comes with being "good"

understandable, i didn't even consider the cost

but let's flip the circumstances--what if, by some bizarre twist of fate, you could screw over a socal player from getting out of pools? he obviously paid much more than you or your friend, does money matter then?
In that scenario, the money becomes unimportant, but the friendship part does

Did you know that i flew to winterfest 2009 in soCal? all the way from florida? Did you know that I was unable to get out of doubles pools because sean/cpu gave a set to some other team and we got 4th seed? Do you know what i did?

Absolutely not a god damn thing, because you know what, If they are boys, then i expect that to happen. I would've done the same thing if i was in their position.

Anything can happen when you get into a bracket, even if you barely get out of the pools. Back to bad analogy :troll: ...a NFL team can get 6th seed, barely get into the playoffs, but once they get into the bracket, they end up ****** everybody and winning the tourney. Oh whats that, the Green Bay Packers just did that **** like a month ago? daaaaaaaaaamn sounds pretty similar to what just happened. We have no idea what will happen once the bracket starts...its just so important to get in there that I'll do whatever i can to get my peoples in, for the rare occasions i have the power to do so

Edit: To the above post, i meant playing them hard mode in tourney too. Do you think I ever sandbag when i play Hrnut or Kyon in tournaments down here in florida? Hell no. But if me and hrnut/kyon are in a tourney OOS and all i have to do is give them the set win and they get out of pools, both of which ive known for years and consider my friends outside of smash...or i could beat them and let randomikeguy in...well, by now you know what im going to do

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

thats why i really dont like the majority of mindsets that black people have.

Because that same friend that you let get out of pools, 3 weeks later he might have the oppurtunity to pay you back and split with you at a tournament, and he'll elect to take the 60% of the pot instead of spliting 75% of it with you.

its not the kind of thing that is a general understanding between everybody. and thats where people get upset and screwed over and prefer to have a established base on what is expected.

what if you do that for me. im not going to do it for you next time, and now youre upset.

Coney

Smash Master
similarly, by robbing someone of getting into bracket, you could be robbing them of their one big chance to make that breakout showing

i get what you're saying, i just disagree fervidly

Tesh

Smash Hero
Tournaments should just run like Nascar. Singles just can't be singles anymore. You gotta have your coach and your buddies strategizing how to manipulate the bracket. Teams should just be officially formed before the tournament and then we can go from there. But then we will have teams buddied with other teams giving free wins.

You know what guys. This is EXACTLY why we don't test skill in free for alls. Because people will gang up on someone and it becomes unfair. If this is okay, we should get rid of singles and just do FFA tournaments from now on.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
I like how no one is arguing with Jayford. Probably because he is making too much sense. Keep that pimphand strong.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
similarly, by robbing someone of getting into bracket, you could be robbing them of their one big chance to make that breakout showing

i get what you're saying, i just disagree fervidly
honestly, thats all i can expect. is that you understand where im coming from

because i dont expect to convince anyone that my opionion is the ultimate correct one. Ive seen enough fanboy-style fights to know when its an argument and when its a circle jerk :troll:

I also understand where you guys are coming from. We just have different opinions about the matter

kid, i guess that could possibly happen for those who arent as close friends as they thought. But i make it a personal mission to call every single smasher by their real name (if i know it) and become friends with him outside of the game (because honestly, the friends you keep after you leave the game is the actual point of being friendly with the community). So when i do make these friends, stuff like that is much less likely to happen ( or never happen in my case).

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I like how no one is arguing with Jayford. Probably because he is making too much sense. Keep that pimphand strong.
lol the past paragraph of my posts 2 posts ago adress him, and in fact ive been adressing him everytime he quotes me

Trent

Smash Champion
I tried to intentionally keep friends away from each other to avoid this

But ill honestly say there is nothing I can do to stop wyatt from using jigglypuff or some stupid character in pools. He did this to me at my tournament and I almost beat him. It didn't affect who got out but it would have been stupid for someone's bracket.

I will not enforce this because that is arbitrary. The only thing I can do is have them play first before any other sets take place, which I can enforce in the future.
Hey. Just want to let you know, I don't blame you in the least bit. It's out of everyone's control, since it's just one of those arbitary things.

I am glad, however, that you are coming up with ideas and making plans for the FUTURE to help limit these scenarios repeating. That's the only reason I made a big deal out of it, so that we can limit these things from happening in the future.

Thank you.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Thats nice and all, but its a competition. I wouldn't do the same for you. There isn't really any way I could be sure you are sandbagging me, but I wouldn't agree to something like that.

You know what I would do for you? I'd give you some tips beforehand so maybe you make it out legit. If your friend's performance is important to you, you should help him improve as a player. Don't take the lazy way out and cheat. Because when he finds himself in someone else's pool, your "help" will be of no use to him.
Lol ur missing the point bro but w/e it doesn't matter

Pound 5 was epic

Although I want sum damn :sonic: vids!!!

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Anything can happen when you get into a bracket, even if you barely get out of the pools. Back to bad analogy :troll: ...a NFL team can get 6th seed, barely get into the playoffs, but once they get into the bracket, they end up ****** everybody and winning the tourney. Oh whats that, the Green Bay Packers just did that **** like a month ago? daaaaaaaaaamn sounds pretty similar to what just happened. We have no idea what will happen once the bracket starts...its just so important to get in there that I'll do whatever i can to get my peoples in, for the rare occasions i have the power to do so
Actually, the Packers should have won the NFC north, but the Bears (refs) screwed the Lions over week 1 and whenever they played again with b.s. you didn't catch the ball and non-contact personal fouls called on our All Pro DT. If either of those games would have had legit refs, the bears would have missed the playoffs.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
The Brawl community is pretty funny. It seems like nobody gets along with anybody.
its funny cause we'll argue, some salty MMs will spring..then people will forget, we'll laugh together, the salty MMs wont even happen, and everybody will live happily ever after...singing the pokemon song at the nest big tourney :awesome:

i like how ive posted more in this thread than others and i didnt even go to this tourney. get @ me :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom