• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pound Prizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Smash Hero
ok, man, at least voodoo was cool enough to actually make a point instead of insulting me with no support
fat lot of good that did him, or anyone else who made points directed at you
you still remain ignorant by choice or because sniffed one too many whip cream containers
seriously go get your **** checked out

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Phil, I was asking not because of whatever reputation we may have (quite frankly, I don't even really care about that). I just fail to see the point of this thread.
It's there for people to discuss. Nothing wrong with that. Intelligent (or not) discussion.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
fat lot of good that did him, or anyone else who made points directed at you
you still remain ignorant by choice or because sniffed one too many whip cream containers
seriously go get your **** checked out
Ok stop with the insults.

DJRome

Smash Hero
lmfao @ absolutely anyone caring about how others perceive the community when there's literally $10k unaccounted for

get over yourselves
lol don't make that point man. i tried earlier and apparently im a cancer

Xelyst

-_-
lol man planked ****ed up so bad

this is what happens when you don't plan well enough lol

im sure nobody really gives a **** about m2k *****ing about his past with plank .. but he mentioned the word reality

and it seems like plank ***ked up... stop hosting tournaments or plan better .. pick one

defend him if it makes you feel better ... but im sure yayhuuz has plenty of teddy bears for you to hug lol

he deserves HELP to solve the situation... but NOT defense or forgiveness

BY THE WAY.... I would probably be like the rest a ***** for my prize money but you know what

I herd something about Dr PP saying the videos from the tournament will be his prize money.

That's a GOOD DUDE right there =)

makes me really think about whats important to me

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
The future reputation of the community is in jeopardy with stupid **** like this. Plank made an error and now everyone is going to jump all over it? Yeah I'd love to see aspiring tournament hosts to put up and major tournaments after everyone ganged up on Plank.

It's sad how you all can't see this for what it is, a mistake. It's real sad how fast you all want to jump all over it. Even if you have a case, you're risking the prize money made this one tournament for many future tournaments. The future hosts may decide on not running because the community is full of people who ***** and whine at every single thing.

Coney

Smash Master
but...its not unaccounted for.
Did you not read the thread?

Don't post about the situation if you obviously have no idea whats going on.
oh, come now. you know what i mean. okay, not "unaccounted," how about "unpaid?" that hit your ear better, rock star?

let's not lose touch of reality here. in your game, the top character is a biped canine with a jacket and future technology and ****. mine, a ****ing masked bat. let's not kid ourselves, nobody gives a **** about the "community" other than us.

i'm not on either side here, i understand both plank's intentions and the winners' outrage, but saying "OH MAN WE'RE GONNA LOOK SO BAD TO THE SF COMMUNITY WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN" is giving your community quite the belly-rub.

the community's gonna be hurt either way, i don't think it's unreasonable to expect a little bit of outrage here.

>brawl backroom member
because i play a decade-older game, i am inherently mature and superior and am fit to judge others based on their preferences
i only play mature games for mature gamers such as myself
dork

Laijin

Smash Hero
The future reputation of the community is in jeopardy with stupid **** like this. Plank made an error and now everyone is going to jump all over it? Yeah I'd love to see aspiring tournament hosts to put up and major tournaments after everyone ganged up on Plank.

It's sad how you all can't see this for what it is, a mistake. It's real sad how fast you all want to jump all over it. Even if you have a case, you're risking the prize money made this one tournament for many future tournaments. The future hosts may decide on not running because the community is full of people who ***** and whine at every single thing.
Exactly my point. Its a mistake. Obviously its pretty clear we're not getting the prize money. So whats left to do? Discuss how this can be clearly avoided in the future instead of throwing **** back and forth at each other. But nope. I doubt thats gonna happen since its been attempted several times already

Pi

Smash Hero
Laijin and 3 are some serious pro-plankers
j/k i actually have some conflicting moral issues with some people on the opposing side

as far as assuming that the stance I took was because it was the 'underdog' stance, you are incorrect. I took the stance I did because from a legal standpoint any case anyone could attempt to make was weak, so the prospect of suing was a bit naive on the part of the players.

As well as the fact that the notion to sue was brought up less than a day after plank announced the trouble w/ the hotel and funds even though he hadn't said that prizes would not be distributed (even though now we know that is probably the case).

On top of that, the community (some, not all) chose too blatantly ignore/forget all the work Plank had done not only hosting P5 but the 3 previous pounds, all of which had no complaints or problems surrounding the payouts. And instead quickly labeled him as a crook, claiming he pocketed the money for his fanciful trip to CA. Stating time and time again that he stole money that was not his, and that he deserves to be jailed, or in debt up to his eye balls, or this or that.

The stance I took on this matter is one that I'm morally aligned with. I do believe that plank messed up, financially he overstepped his bounds. He put his faith in the wrong community, and morally he was forced to make the unfavorable decision to use money initially intended to be prize money to first and foremost fulfill the contract he signed with the hotel.

Any of us would have done the same exact thing.

But through all this, and while this does not excuse the mistakes he made or free him of guilt, his intentions were good. He put together a lovely tournament for the sake of our community, the same community that turned 180 degree's on him in the blink of an eye without so much as a second thought.

And while I do not in any way think it's wrong for the top placing players to expect prize money, as in 'extra money' can you honestly say that you'd rather plank be in debt 9k+, or having to file bankruptcy than top X players getting prize money from an event hosted for the community by one of our own? An event that hundreds of players went to, not for the prize money, but for the experience of being there, had a great time, and will fondly remember the event for non-material/financial reasons?

Unfortunately I know that some of you will honestly respond to that with a Yes, without hesitation. And that honestly bothers me.

I play this game for the love of it, it's the best damn game I've ever played and I don't expect to play any better. I go to tournaments to get better because that's what I want. I want to be the best, I want to be able to see what PP, mango, armada see. I want to be able to break the game down to anyone who asks and have lengthy discussions of the complexities prevalent in every second of every game of every set. That's why I went to Pound5, and if I ever start going to tournaments for any other reason I'll probably quit this game.

So no, Albert, I did not take this stance to be a devils advocate, I took it because I know plank is a good guy and how all of this must be destroying him. To have his TO record tarnished by good intentions and a disappointing turnout. To know that he'll be remembered as that guy who scammed people at his tournaments. To have his community, which he spent hundreds of hours of his own time organizing and running events for turn on him in an instant over money.

TP

Smash Master
Yeah I'd love to see aspiring tournament hosts to put up and major tournaments after everyone ganged up on Plank.
And I'd love to see aspiring players willing to attend tournaments if TOs are allowed to just take the pot to solve their own problems.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I herd something about Dr PP saying the videos from the tournament will be his prize money.

That's a GOOD DUDE right there =)

makes me really think about whats important to me
This is the exact same as me in 2005-2008. Then mom kept asking for help and I started to run out of something I needed. A combination of selfish people taking advantage, stealing, lying, TOs not paying out, and just plain bad luck at times is why I'm in the situation I am now. Now the money is important and being unable to receive it when you deserve and earn it is not fair. What is important to me is fairness and people getting what they worked for / deserve.

DJRome

Smash Hero
hi, tommy.

this is actually the first time any real backlash for a large event has happened over prizes (at least in recent memory). the sum just so happens to be over 9000. so the term "every single thing" seems to be slightly off

maybe large companies will see this as a slander to the smash community's reputation.

but if they're a company that is at risk of not paying us, id rather not have them host a tournament anyways.

but as to how we're perceived by the real world. . . that image is virtually nonexistent anyways. a hotel is unable to distinguish a street fighter tournament and a smash tournament. to them it is simply a video game tournament

idea

Smash Master
Posting this here since the other thread got closed:

This all just makes me feel terrible

Seeing people who are usually so nice upset and fighting one another. I don't care if plank is telling the truth or not but I hate to see this kind of thing happen. Whatever happens plank, I hope you learn from this.

I'm not suing. Not worth it and the videos can be my prize money. I'll see if I can still make Genesis 2 work still.

I forgive you plank.

sorry to those who want me to sue i guess
i don't know how to do that "show post in its own window" thing.

Pi

Smash Hero
This is the exact same as me in 2005-2008. Then mom kept asking for help and I started to run out of something I needed. A combination of selfish people taking advantage, stealing, lying, TOs not paying out, and just plain bad luck at times is why I'm in the situation I am now. Now the money is important and being unable to receive it when you deserve and earn it is not fair. What is important to me is fairness and people getting what they worked for / deserve.
M2K
You have done work with smash
You have put tons of time and effort into this game, for your own reasons, of which I'm not really sure
You've been able to make it to the top and stay there for a long time, you've shown to have talent and knowledge of the game far beyond what the average player possesses, not only that but you're able to apply it
This makes you a top competitor in our community
But smash is a video game, our tournaments are hosted by the community
Smash is not a job, if you and your mother seriously need some more income coming in you need to look into finding work that isn't winning video game tournaments.

Coney

Smash Master
i completely agree about the point about plank. it sucks, yeah. plank seemed like a really cool guy, from the little i talked to him before he quit brawl and the few interactions we had. i take absolutely no issue with him, and am in no way condemning him for doing what he did.

however, it is not unreasonable to expect some sort of resolution to come of all this. dues will be paid. it will, most likely, be done in private, behind closed doors, and it's none of our business really, we're all just reveling in the madness.

HOWEVER, i take issue with people acting like our community is some paradigm of quality and goodness and puppies and rainbows and having said discussions is tarnishing it's name. it's not, guys. nobody cares but us. and so what if other communities look down on us? did you care what the high schoolers thought of you in middle school, too?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Smash worked fine for me though. Seeing the rate that I won in each game for years has been able to earn me more than enough. Or, at least it should have. But when TOs don't pay out or stupid unlucky stuff happens or people steal then it becomes another story. It's like working at a shop for 6 months then suddenly they decide you won't get paid.

So Fatal

Smash Master
M2K
You have done work with smash
You have put tons of time and effort into this game, for your own reasons, of which I'm not really sure
You've been able to make it to the top and stay there for a long time, you've shown to have talent and knowledge of the game far beyond what the average player possesses, not only that but you're able to apply it
This makes you a top competitor in our community
But smash is a video game, our tournaments are hosted by the community
Smash is not a job, if you and your mother seriously need some more income coming in you need to look into finding work that isn't winning video game tournaments.
Whats wrong with gaming as a job when you win? he would be OK if TO's didn't steal

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
dr pp's coming out party as possibly the best player in the world just got dumped on.

plank needs to personally apologize to every player that placed at pound

DJRome

Smash Hero
apparently a debt to payout acquired from hosting a tournament can be ignored if you have a personal debt to pay

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
look, gaming as a job has nothing to do with what's happening.

It's like 3 is saying: Mew2king gaming isn't a job so you shouldn't be surprised when not getting paid. I see a total disconnect.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
And I'd love to see aspiring players willing to attend tournaments if TOs are allowed to just take the pot to solve their own problems.
Winterfest in Orlando did it and people still went to Pound 5.

You think this kind of this doesn't happen in other occasions? It happens everywhere. Personally, I'd like to see our community not cannibalize itself because of a few greedy players and all of the devil's advocates.

M2K's personal issues are irrelevant to the topic at hand. It's 1 tournament's prize money vs the future of the smash community. Pick your side.

BigWenz

Smash Ace

It's like 3 is saying: Mew2king gaming isn't a job so you shouldn't be surprised when not getting paid. I see a total disconnect.
Gaming isnt a job u say? Starcraft 2 players in Korea say hi. Gaming can in fact be a job. their are games like second life in which people could make real money playing the game. as far as im concerned if i am doing some kind of action minus begging, and i get money for that action then it can be considered a job.

Well, the whole situation as a whole is pretty pointless. Money did not get paid out. The question is what are people going to do about it. A) Complain and do nothing. B) Get over it C) Try to appeal to Plank D) Legal action. Apart from these 4 options to those involved, the rest of us really have no say in the matter.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Winterfest in Orlando did it and people still went to Pound 5.

You think this kind of this doesn't happen in other occasions? It happens everywhere. Personally, I'd like to see our community not cannibalize itself because of 6-8 greedy players.

M2K's personal issues are irrelevant to the topic at hand. It's 1 tournament's prize money vs the future of the smash community. Pick your side.
Players asking for that they earned is hardly greedy lmao.
Future of the smash community? Ha, that’s a joke right?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Gaming isnt a job u say? Starcraft 2 players in Korea say hi. Gaming can in fact be a job. their are games like second life in which people could make real money playing the game. as far as im concerned if i am doing some kind of action minus begging, and i get money for that action then it can be considered a job.
Yeah, it's backed by KOREA. You know how easy it would be to make tournaments into a job is the entire UNITED STATES backed smash? This point is ridiculous.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Players asking for that they earned is hardly greedy lmao.
Future of the smash community? Ha, that’s a joke right?
What tournament host would want to make any major tournaments after something like this is blown out of proportion?

No, it's not a joke.

Coney

Smash Master
What tournament host would want to make any major tournaments after something like this is blown out of proportion?

No, it's not a joke.
ones that know what they're doing and have done it for a long time?

genesis isn't going to suddenly shut down because of this, and TOs aren't going to tuck tail and run from hosting because plank messed up. if anything, it's a cautionary tale.

Dekar173

Justice Man
So-

Plank creates planking in Brawl.

Plank rigs his own bracket at Pound 4...

Plank steals from the pockets of the winners of his last event.

Sounds like a pretty gay person to me.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
I cannot comprehend how someone said gaming isn't a job, the only thing that would even make sense if you are talking about someone's lack of sponsorship. Like how Fatal wins in NE but isn't sponsored so it's a hobby not a job? But if he was with like vVv it would be a job cause he's in a sense working for that company? idk
Wow, are you freaking serious?

I can't stay on these boards any longer. Ignorance is bliss I guess
He's VG BOOTCAMP, their always, serious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom